AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-11-09, 05:57   Link #1621
Heliopolis
hodie mihi, cras tibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post

That's exactly what I was getting at Kou asked her that question because he's trying to show her that he wants to know more about her rather than Akane So far, it seems like the catalyst is a success
In the Kou&Aoba relation (progress) department this entire episode is pure eyecandy, if you notice the way they were looking at each other (whenever they were around each other), especially Aoba.

Only at 32/51 (+?) episodes this is already by far the best romance/sports anime leaving all other ones behind in a trail of dust. And I dare to say it's all thanks to the faithful adaptation of the already excellent Cross Game manga.
I would have been so sad if this superb manga was butchered into some trashlike anime adaption like many good manga's had to suffer in the past. And also not to belittle previous Adachi works in the same genre like Touch and H2, but Cross Game is hard on it's way to become his crown juwel among his masterpieces.

Last edited by Heliopolis; 2009-11-09 at 09:32.
Heliopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 07:20   Link #1622
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

There's something to be said I guess about the way both Kou and Aoba insist that the Wakaba of their memories is and always will be in 5th grade, because this is how they're both able to keep in mind the fact that Wakaba has passed on, and people who may look like her aren't her. This points to a good level of maturity.

On the other spectrum perhaps is Akaishi. He probably never had that many memories, or even encounters if at all, of Wakaba in their past. He doesn't have as much the concrete belief that Aoba and Kou have, which obviously makes the wavering of his heart much more apparent. Not to say tat he's weak, but perhaps this is much more than being a simple Wakaba resemblance to him.

By the way maybe it's just me but do you guys think that there's anything more to Kou's paused question of Aoba's blood type stemming from her Akane investigations other than say a Wakaba comparison, Akane comparison or just plain wanting to know? It's one of the few subtleties in this show that for some reason I coulnd't really get.

Also once again Azuma shows how sharp he is, but then again it's already so obvious at this point that he doesn't really need to say it, does he?

Goshdarn Akane's so... so adorable, especially when she gave that sketch of Momiji to her. Plus points for not figuring out immediately that Kou was staring at her changing in her room with the curtains open. Apparently Kou always gets the women in one way or another.

Naturally the guy who tried to get with Akane was a lameass especially since she had that strange presence of mind to call the police, which left the ball getting dropped on him so to speak by Aoba. She seems like a naturally kind person but of course not knowing about the past Aoba and Kou share, her kindness does end up hurting both of them in ways she doesn't realize. Punctuated by the fact that he blatantly talks about the 3 and not the 4, conveniently leaving Wakaba out for... obvious reasons.

Was Kou's blabbing about the Tsukishimas a sign of things to come? Some call it eye candy, but it all led to the best scene of the episode, between Aoba and Kou.

"Thank you for worrying about me..."

Goddamn I may have had an AV bundle block right then and there. The scene of silence afterwards, as the series has always been apt at, was golden.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 09:59   Link #1623
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
Spoiler for not needed since ep is out but just to be safe:
But.. , they did show that part in the manga. 108.3. The anime didn't invent anything.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 11:22   Link #1624
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
But.. , they did show that part in the manga. 108.3. The anime didn't invent anything.
Whoops, you got me, I totally didn't remember that.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 11:29   Link #1625
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit7059 View Post
Spoiler for not needed since ep is out but just to be safe:
Spoiler for 32:
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 12:22   Link #1626
mit7059

After watching it a few times the new ED is really growing on me, the lyrics fit perfectly and I really like some of the graphic things they've done with it.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 14:21   Link #1627
Kunagisa

I love the manga to death, but I can't watch the anime for some reason. Don't get me wrong, the anime's done really well (I watched up till 12 or so), just that every time they flash back to Wakaba I just get so depressed (like several times more than what I would've felt from the manga).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 21:28   Link #1628
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

It's too early for me to judge whether I like Akane's voice but what I can tell is that I did not imagine it that way at all. As pointed out by Proto, this episode slightly suffered from the many private jokes and references from the manga which had to be removed for the adaptation. The changes made some scenes suddenly much weaker, although it's tough to blame the anime staff for removing jokes which worked better in the context of a manga.

A few examples of jokes/references were given already but there are several others. Notably, an obvious reference to the most (in)famous chapter of Adachi's most popular manga was removed entirely in the anime.

Regarding the blood types, you have to remember that in Japan, there is a strong belief that your blood type defines your character.
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 01:46   Link #1629
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
By the way maybe it's just me but do you guys think that there's anything more to Kou's paused question of Aoba's blood type stemming from her Akane investigations other than say a Wakaba comparison, Akane comparison or just plain wanting to know? It's one of the few subtleties in this show that for some reason I coulnd't really get.
I took it at face value as a joke at Aoba's expense. Unfortunately, you'd have to have knowledge of the Japanese blood-type character traits to understand it. To put it briefly, Wakaba and Akane both generally reflect their blood-type profiles. Type AB and A are somewhat similiar and it shows the parallels and what I assume are the differences between Wakaba and Akane. Type B people are generally the opposite of type A individuals, and Aoba is practically the definition of a blood-type B person. (Japanese Blood Types)

Simply put, she set herself up to be compared in that manner. And confirmed Kou's suspicion.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 02:02   Link #1630
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post
Regarding the blood types, you have to remember that in Japan, there is a strong belief that your blood type defines your character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
I took it at face value as a joke at Aoba's expense. Unfortunately, you'd have to have knowledge of the Japanese blood-type character traits to understand it. To put it briefly, Wakaba and Akane both generally reflect their blood-type profiles. Type AB and A are somewhat similiar and it shows the parallels and what I assume are the differences between Wakaba and Akane. Type B people are generally the opposite of type A individuals, and Aoba is practically the definition of a blood-type B person. (Japanese Blood Types)

Simply put, she set herself up to be compared in that manner. And confirmed Kou's suspicion.
Hmmm, interesting. I was unaware of this information but thanks for sharing that little tidbit. Even so, that pause got me thinking a little that the joke was possibly an excuse of sorts to find out about Aoba. That might be a bit of stretch but the way their relationship progressed during this episode, I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 05:33   Link #1631
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Since they take out the meta jokes it's more difficult to see that Adachi is just poking fun at himself but...

Images are from the equivalent manga chapters for this episode, so no future events spoiled.
AFAIR they left the Senda joke in the anime. And to be honest I prefer the anime adaptation of the second scene.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 05:57   Link #1632
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
In facts when she says "I'm type B" he replies "exactly as I thought". Like, he expected her to be the opposite of Waka, and to some extent of Akane too.

But I can't disagree that Kou asked that also because it is time he and Aoba starts to learn more personal things about each other, not Wakaba related.

I found it very interesting that Aoba took the initiative, explored Akane's surroundings and reported the results to Kou. I think she did this to fill her own curiosity about the new girl, but also to see what level of interest she could raise in Kou by talking about her in details. She asked him if he was relieved that Akane doesn't have a boyfriend. But if we take that conversation, I think the most relieved one was actually Aoba, seen the relatively cold approach shown by Kou towards Akane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
AFAIR they left the Senda joke in the anime. And to be honest I prefer the anime adaptation of the second scene.
Well, they left it but removed the meta joke. To come even, in the anime there should have been Akaishi saying, about the old news, "I remember it, it was in episode 4 !" or something like that. Which I believe it's better it didn't happen.

Agree about the better anime adaptation of the peeking scene. Kou acts more like "Kou-ish" (calm and not impressionable, his usual self).
Old 2009-11-10, 07:24   Link #1633
Free
Pro Procrastinator
*Fansubber

For a layman such as myself, who's not well read on Crossgametology, it seemed to me that Kou simply fancied to tease Aoba a little. An incident uncorrelated to the other characters.

Interesting it was to find out that B is supposed to be the more aggressive type, as back in mainland China, which you'd presume some of these culture stuff Japan might have borrowed over, it's said B is the more dormant type. Though I suppose this blood type classification gimmick is much of a modern thing.

Unfortunately, I'm too much into the state of unconsciousness right now to dig out references, but my folks and I seem to be exemplary of the latter Chinese stereotype. Goes to show how stereotypes can go both ways, I suppose.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 15:45   Link #1634
Proto

Yeah, the metajokes are more like Adachi's personal quirk, and his series could perfectly do without them, though personally there was only one that i kind of regret they took out

After the match with Ryoh, when Mizuki was telling some girls that he could climb a pole without tools

The taking out the meta jokes thing is not particular to Cross Game though. They did the same in Touch, and in Miyuki as well IIRC. Personally I think they detract from the feeling of involvement the reader can take with the series if the characters start breaking the 4th wall, so in general I'm all for the anime studios taking them out.
Old 2009-11-10, 16:13   Link #1635
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

I never watched the H2 anime but I am pretty sure that all the other adaptations of Adachi's work (Miyuki, Touch, Hiatari) had the numerous in-jokes and breakings of the fourth wall removed. Cross Game actually has a cameo from Adachi which wasn't in the manga, as far as I remember; I believe this is the first time it happens.
The Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 18:08   Link #1636
Ansalem
Speaker

So I am just popping in to say that after staring at the ridiculous amount of avatars and sigs (presumably made by Pellissier), and constant recommendations for Cross Game in the suggestions section, sported by Sackett, Guardian Enzo, Theowne, Proto, Pellissier, and I'm sure I'm forgetting many others, I finally started watching this show. I will say Episode One was incredibly depressing, but the rest has been inspiring and fun, and I shall return to this thread when I have caught up.
Ansalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 18:13   Link #1637
Proto

Alright, it is gratifying when another person finds and likes this little gem. Just be sure to avoid this thread till you catch up, there are a lot of spoilers from the latest episode floating around.

Last edited by Proto; 2009-11-10 at 18:32.
Old 2009-11-10, 20:08   Link #1638
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
So I am just popping in to say that after staring at the ridiculous amount of avatars and sigs (presumably made by Pellissier), and constant recommendations for Cross Game in the suggestions section, sported by Sackett, Guardian Enzo, Theowne, Proto, Pellissier, and I'm sure I'm forgetting many others, I finally started watching this show. I will say Episode One was incredibly depressing, but the rest has been inspiring and fun, and I shall return to this thread when I have caught up.
Stay with it - CG just keeps getting better.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 20:11   Link #1639
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
I'm sure I recommended it a couple of times, but I don't come close to the amount of times Sackett and Guardian Enzo have Nice to see that you've started watching this wonderful series, hopefully you enjoy it just as much as we do.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 21:12   Link #1640
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Hoo-ahh!

We caught another one.

Another fan is always welcome here.

PS: Glad to know the avatar and signature thing is working.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports