AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei OVA - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 38 50.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 22 29.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 14.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 5.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-04-04, 00:48   Link #61
Change of Pace
Shameless Zoro Fangirl
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Man, just got to see it, and jeez, life (or is that Frederica) just can't cut Rika a break. She finally breaks out of the endless circle of despair and lands herself in a completely unfamiliar world where her friends are foreigners and the bonds she earned while facing fate are broken. Throughout the episode, when Rika mentions that technically, this scenario is the best for XYZ characters, the tone of voice she uses and the fact that she doesn't look happy, despite this being the "best scenario", really shows us that this "perfect" world isn't what she wants at all. If it was just her, she wouldn't have fought back so hard in Matsuribayashi-hen; she was fighting for the sake of the friends who would bring about the miracle themselves. And without those friends by her side in Saikoroshi-hen, even though she might not die, she still feels the need to do something about this world, because it feels so intrinsically wrong. This episode really brought out the fact that the perfect world Rika was seeking wasn't just one in which she survived; once she lost the keys to that miracle, the world around her seemed to have lost its colour. Mion's still there, as is Satoko, Reina and even Satoshi, but it's all too different; their physical precense alone isn't enough. Taking the episode at face value at first may not seem like much to a few of my friends who watched it, but when I saw it and contemplated how confused and torn the Rika in this world must feel... it's enough to bring one to tears, really. Just when she rolled the right dice, she's been transported back to that terrible time, which is suddenly devoid of the familiar elements and completely foreign, and completely unwelcoming, without anyone, not even Hanyuu, to give Rika support. It's just... so, so sad. I'm hoping Rika-chama can free herself from this world!

... And yep, this OVA has pretty much reminded me why I fell so head over heels in love with Higurashi in the first place. Personally, I'm loving the new animation style, too, it's very stylistic, especially the eyes, and very cute. Looking back at the first OP, wow, what a difference! Well, either way, all of the seasons had their own specific animation style, and the OVA's really no different! So no complaints from me, this is one satisfied fan! |3
__________________
You are incompetent!
wispyhollow.livejournal.com

^Original manga series @ livejournal
(f-locked, comment to be added)
Change of Pace is offline  
Old 2009-04-04, 01:46   Link #62
ferthepoet
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Can anyone explain Hannyu´s absence in the new world.... its weird that Rika does not even wonder about it?
ferthepoet is offline  
Old 2009-04-04, 03:22   Link #63
VRMN
Dangoism
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: East Lansing, MI
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to VRMN
I'm not going to answer the former (future event spoilers), but Rika kind of takes Hanyuu for granted. I'm not shocked she hasn't invoked her yet. She's trying to figure things out still.
VRMN is offline  
Old 2009-04-04, 07:54   Link #64
Thoguht
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Oh wow, just got round to watching this and it's the most frightening episode so far of the whole thing. Yes, it may be a "perfect world", but Rika has no idea of how to "play the game", or even if there is a game to play in the first place. She's lost, clueless, as she confronts the nightmare of purposeless existence that we all face every day. Welcome to the real world, Rika.
Thoguht is offline  
Old 2009-04-04, 08:13   Link #65
Telmah
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ohio, United States
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
I really liked this episode.

Spoiler for Rei episode 2:
__________________
Telmah is offline  
Old 2009-04-04, 09:59   Link #66
Orophin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferthepoet View Post
Can anyone explain Hannyu´s absence in the new world.... its weird that Rika does not even wonder about it?
She did notice it in the game:

Spoiler for what happened in the game after Satoko apologized:


Spoiler for what happened after Rika followed Yamamoto outside.:


The reason why she's not there will be explained in the second episode.
Orophin is offline  
Old 2009-04-04, 11:39   Link #67
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 27
Seriously, Rika? Dick move, to be sure.

Karma.
__________________
KaneDragon is offline  
Old 2009-04-04, 13:11   Link #68
Hareoic
There will be burgers
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Omaha
Age: 25
I'm already on the edge of my seat. Can't wait for the next episode.
__________________
The Meta World reminds you that the Delicious Companion Burger will never threaten to stab you, and, in fact, cannot speak.
In the event that the Delicious Companion Burger does speak, The Meta World urges you to disregard it's advice.
Hareoic is offline  
Old 2009-04-04, 13:17   Link #69
Avira
fanart-fan :D
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Germany
Want action. Or at least an evil laugh!
__________________
Avira is offline  
Old 2009-04-04, 14:45   Link #70
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Seriously, Rika? Dick move, to be sure.

Karma.
Ah yes, Higurashi, where punishments for everything end up being potentially fatal.

I like this episode. Nobody is perfect and it makes sense that people would slack off after they "won" but life is an endless trial and when you take stuff for granted stuff can happen.
Archon_Wing is online now  
Old 2009-04-04, 14:55   Link #71
rogerpepitone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerpepitone
I think Saikoroshi-hen was the "Sinless World". Minagoroshi-hen was the "Perfect World".
rogerpepitone is offline  
Old 2009-04-04, 17:18   Link #72
kingsky123
Higurashi fan.
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Seriously, Rika? Dick move, to be sure.

Karma.
that dick move landed us 3 more episodes of higurashi, im not complaining xD
kingsky123 is offline  
Old 2009-04-04, 17:23   Link #73
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsky123 View Post
that dick move landed us 3 more episodes of higurashi, im not complaining xD
She would have smashed into the truck even if she hadn't bumped Satoko while they rode down hill at high speed, probably. That was dangerous.
__________________
KaneDragon is offline  
Old 2009-04-04, 23:06   Link #74
Yaoi_Daisuki
少年愛
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 25
loled hard when rika was killed by the truck. And when she was beginning to be cocky thinking everything was over but got owned by a on coming trunk and returned back to the past HAHAHA
__________________
Yaoi_Daisuki is offline  
Old 2009-04-05, 06:33   Link #75
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Canada
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That driver should have run himself off the road . I mean who does he think he is? Rika's safety obviously comes before him and a truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoguht View Post
Oh wow, just got round to watching this and it's the most frightening episode so far of the whole thing. Yes, it may be a "perfect world", but Rika has no idea of how to "play the game", or even if there is a game to play in the first place. She's lost, clueless, as she confronts the nightmare of purposeless existence that we all face every day. Welcome to the real world, Rika.
Well do think the situation is more different for Rika than the average person. It has been a really long time since she has been put into a situation this alien to her. After repeating so many times you can't help leaning on that predictability. Rather this is more like being dropped into a foreign environment and told to adapt. This will be tough since it is so much more different than any world she's been in. Fighting for her survival was difficult, but here there doesn't seem to be anything she can do. She can't drag Keiichi from where he is or change the dam situation.

I guess this world should be given credit for passing a world without Keiichi as a worst case scenario. Even the basic bonds with the rest of her friends are either absent or substantially weaker here. It's not a bad world overall and even for the Rika who would have been living there it would be fine. But for a Rika who has fought to survive with her friends this fails instantly.
__________________
FlareKnight is offline  
Old 2009-04-05, 06:47   Link #76
Ichy
It`s a miracle!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: This is the Kind of Woman I want to play Games with. And by playing Games I mean.... ^____^
Age: 32
Spoiler for nice truck!:


I have read a summary for this arc a long time ago! Im happy to see it animated now
__________________
Ichy is offline  
Old 2009-04-05, 10:28   Link #77
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Even the basic bonds with the rest of her friends are either absent or substantially weaker here. It's not a bad world overall and even for the Rika who would have been living there it would be fine. But for a Rika who has fought to survive with her friends this fails instantly.
Having auu~ auu~ Hanyu by her side and being best friends with Satoko (or becoming, depending on how far back she goes) are two constant factors she's always had to comfort her (though maybe there were worlds without Satoko?). Without Satoko, Hanyu, Keiichi, the nakama, the after-school games, etc... it's a very lonely world. Just Rika, sitting by herself in the back of the classroom, ignored. Even that one old man who passed her by ignored her completely, when she's supposed to be such a highly respected entity (granted this was just one instance, but that's the impression I got). The butcher shop were she got all those extras on the house is gone along with most of the rest.

Struggling so hard, giving up hope only to gain it back, and finally defying fate to escape the cycle that had kept her occupied for 100+(?) years... Only to lose it all. Rika is a rock, to be able to stay as calm and outwardly-childish as she did. I guess that's the only thing she knows to do, while her panic continues building...
__________________
KaneDragon is offline  
Old 2009-04-05, 11:41   Link #78
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hungary, Europe
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichy View Post
Spoiler for nice truck!:


I have read a summary for this arc a long time ago! Im happy to see it animated now
If I see that truck one more time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Having auu~ auu~ Hanyu by her side and being best friends with Satoko (or becoming, depending on how far back she goes) are two constant factors she's always had to comfort her (though maybe there were worlds without Satoko?). Without Satoko, Hanyu, Keiichi, the nakama, the after-school games, etc... it's a very lonely world. Just Rika, sitting by herself in the back of the classroom, ignored. Even that one old man who passed her by ignored her completely, when she's supposed to be such a highly respected entity (granted this was just one instance, but that's the impression I got). The butcher shop were she got all those extras on the house is gone along with most of the rest.

Struggling so hard, giving up hope only to gain it back, and finally defying fate to escape the cycle that had kept her occupied for 100+(?) years... Only to lose it all. Rika is a rock, to be able to stay as calm and outwardly-childish as she did. I guess that's the only thing she knows to do, while her panic continues building...
Everyone seems to forget the fact, that her own family have no reason to be dead here. Unless she was on bad terms with them, I don't know why would be that world a bad thing. Boring yes, but IMHO it's still better than being in a neverending loophole.
Even if she doesn't like it she can jump before a truck again .
izmosmolnar is offline  
Old 2009-04-05, 11:47   Link #79
Orophin
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
Even if she doesn't like it she can jump before a truck again .
She can't.

Spoiler for Saikoroshi-hen:
Orophin is offline  
Old 2009-04-05, 12:04   Link #80
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: middle of nowhere, Virginia
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
Everyone seems to forget the fact, that her own family have no reason to be dead here. Unless she was on bad terms with them, I don't know why would be that world a bad thing. Boring yes, but IMHO it's still better than being in a neverending loophole.
But she wasn't in a neverending loophole. She had just escaped. But now she's back, and at least at the beginning she thought she was back in the loop of doom.

And she was on sort of bad terms with her mother, who was thoroughly creeped out by Rika's unnatural knowledge/skills/behavior growing up. Of course, with this world, that odd behavior most likely never happened either.
__________________
KaneDragon is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.