AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-16, 00:06   Link #1
GuavaNectar
Hikikomori

Sort of a long request post. :x

:3

I'm pretty picky with anime. I'm so sick of the lame comedy in most of them. Often I'll download a series, open the first episode, and after watching part of it... delete the series. It's hard for me to find good animes on my own, although I sort of manage. Hopefully I can get some good suggestions from users on this forum though. Sometimes I feel like there is nothing else out there I like, but there are so many titles I haven't heard of I must've give up on hope! (lame line) I know I'm being a little specific but eh.. heh.. if you think so, you can obviously just ignore this. Otherwise, help me out? Btw, I like Miyazaki films, but I believe I've watched them all and either way... not what I'm looking for, at this point. I'm very NOT in the mood for a comedy. But if the anime has some comedy, fine, as long as it's not the main focus like FLCL(I like that anime, but comedy is a big 'no' a this moment for some reason.).

Btw, please remember... when I said something is good or bad, I do know it's my opinion and I don't mean to pick a fight. D:'

Things I HATE in animes are:
-Annoying characters, such as but not limited to characters that repeatedly annoy or harass the main character, or get in the way of romance. Girls that overreact to everything piss me off too. Especially if they punch and kick crazily. (though that is fine if they are not overreacting, I guess[Love Hina's Naru overreacts, Clannad's Tomoyo doesn't.. imo]) (A few examples: Neneko Izumi from Dears, Sara Macdougal from Love Hina, Michiru from Air)
-Everyone misunderstanding the main character.
-Crazed fan clubs. Meaning for a female student
-Plots based around love triangles. (if it's minor and not a huge problem(it was a huge problem in Love Hina Again) then it's fine. Clannad had a minor problem and it didn't bother me much.)

Things I LOVE in anime:
-The main character being male, especially if he is.. a slacker? Like Tomoya from Clannad.
-Realistic. Fantasy and scifi or whatever is fine, but the way the characters act and such should atleast be realistic.
-Depressing plots/moments.
-Good art, like Clannad. But that's not exactly that important. However, BAD art like.. Lupin the 3rd is just... not good enough.

I do not want anime suggestions like:
-School Rumble
-Bleach
-Naruto
-Shuffle
-Vampire Princess Miyu
-School Days

Am I being too picky? '^^;

To give a better idea what I like and am looking for, and so these aren't suggested, here are some animes I watched and liked:
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Clannad, Death Note, Earth Girl Arjuna, Elfen Lied, Full Metal Panic, Gantz, Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Ghost In The Shell: Second Gig, His and Her Circumstances, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Paprika, Paranoia Agent, Samurai Champloo, Scrapped Princess, Voices Of A Distance Star, Welcome to the NHK

Edit---
Btw, feel free to add a hentai if you think it's really good. I liked Bible Black, Dollhouse, and Sexfriend. X:X:X:
Old 2009-03-16, 01:17   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

Well have you tried Kanon? It's generally the anime to be recommended to those who liked Clannad (or vice versa). It's another visual novel adaption where the male protagonist moves through several story arcs involving different girls. Yuuichi is less annoying than Tomoya, so I probably prefer it. (even though Clannad has some really great moments, they are too spread out)

You can hardly have missed hearing of it, but have you watched The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya? If you like slacker male protagonists, you can hardly overlook Kyon--he makes the show.

Nodame Cantabile is certainly worth a look as well.
Old 2009-03-16, 02:35   Link #3
Echoes

Indeed, you can't go wrong with Kanon 2006 if you liked Clannad. It has the same mesmerizing art, wonderful storytelling and a very similar male lead.

Perhaps Utawarerumono would be to your liking as well, I find it to be similar to Scrapped Princess for some reason.
Old 2009-03-16, 07:42   Link #4
Nosauz

Gonna do my job as the local Genshiken peddler, no seriously this show is like crack, its a slice of life, most of the males are slackers, in the end of the series romance becomes a stronger focus. In the beginning its more about otaku life style, similar to NHK ni youkoso with out the dark themes, actually thats probabaly a bad comparison but it really is worth a shot.
Old 2009-03-16, 11:52   Link #5
GuavaNectar
Hikikomori

jedinat,

I have seen The Melancholy of Huruhi Suzumiya. I liked it, although the characters often tested my patience with how they acted. I was sort of expected Kanon to be suggested, and both you and Echoes have already done so. I guess I will go ahead and try it out. I didn't want to at first because Air and Clannad are directed by the same person, and I wondered how three animes could be good when they are by the same person and all go like this: About a good-for-nothing guy and his relationships how he is connected with multiple girls. Heh. I did like the first too, though, so I guess I should really just give it a try.

Nodame Cantabile looks good. After reading the plot, it seems quite realistic.

Echoes,

Utawarerumono seems like it may be good. I looked it up on wikipedia, although that leads me to a question. Is it ecchi at all? The anime genres showed nothing like that, yet the game is classified under Eroge? I looked on AniDB.net and it didn't say it was either. Just curious. I will probably try this anime out.

Nosauz,

Genshiken says there is comedy in it and it's about a guy who likes otaku. Heh. I really hope there aren't going to be tons of ridiculous girls like the girls from Love Hina. D:' Other than that worry, it definitely sounds like something worth watching.

Has anyone seen Spice and Wolf? It's always caught my interest. Was wondering if that'd be something good to watch.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will certainly try out Nodame Cantabile, Kanon, Utawarerumono, and Genshiken.

Last edited by GuavaNectar; 2009-03-16 at 12:34.
Old 2009-03-16, 12:09   Link #6
Telmah

Send a message via AIM to Telmah Send a message via MSN to Telmah
If you are looking into Kanon and have loved Clannad, I highly suggest Air. I believe all three were originally games based by the same company. You seem to know about this already, but each one is a bit of an unique plot. After all, it is said, that nearly all stories can be summed up in three basic plot lines (human vs human, human vs nature, human vs self).

If you liked Voices of a Distant Star, I highly suggest Makoto Shinkai's other two feature length movies, 5 Centimeters per Second and The Place Promised in our Early Days.

Utawarerumono isn't any more ecchi than Scrapped Princess. I've seen quite a bit of fantasy and those are the two I really liked the most overall. Edit, looking at your critea, this is a really good choice for you.

Spice and Wolf is very character driven--the events that occurr to only draw out changes in the characters. Horo is one of the most complicated characters I've seen in quite awhile. It's not for everyone though--much of the story involves talking about economics and political intrigue. Finally the first episode is a bit of a misonomer for the series--
Spoiler for episode 1:
Old 2009-03-16, 12:18   Link #7
Echoes

It's actually quite common that eroge games are adapted without any of the explicit content. Utawarerumono has some ecchiness, but it's pretty limited and is not the focus of the show at all.

I'd strongly recommend Spice and Wolf, I found it to be greatly enjoyable. As Telmah mentioned, it's a very character driven anime, though definitely in a good way, the female lead Horo is really something.
Old 2009-03-16, 12:27   Link #8
GuavaNectar
Hikikomori

I have seen Air already. Liked that one as well.

5 Centimeters per Second looks very sad. ><; I feel like I'm going to cry a lot during that anime, which I most definitely plan on watching. I'm very bad with depressing romance movies/animes.The Place Promised in our Early Days, wtf. I know I have watched that. The cover and storyline are exactly like what I watched. That's so weird though, thought it was called Beyond The Clouds. :x I remember liking that as well, although it's been a while. (Oh. After finishing the post I decided to search 'Beyond on Clouds' and it came up as 'The Place Promised in our Early Days'. Guess I'm not crazy... in that sense. :3 )

I'll keep Spice and Wolf in mind, then. I'm not sure if I would enjoy it or not, really. As I love complicated and unique characters, I'm not so sure about politics and economics being interesting to me.

Thank youu. ^^

edit--

I just saw your reply Echoes. Thanks again. :3 I'm probably going to hold off on Spice and Wolf because of Telmah's description, though I'm sure sooner or later I'll watch it. It's still very interesting, and like said.. I enjoy complicated characters.

And about eroges, I can see how that makes sense, but for some reason it didn't click in my head till you said that. Xd
Old 2009-03-16, 12:32   Link #9
Nosauz

In genshiken the first season has 2 girls, only one who cosplays has some fanservice, and then in the 2nd season theres one additional girl, mostly the focus is on the characters and otaku life style. Most of the time its just the dudes hanging out talking about otaku stuff like eroge and cons. Later on it the romance plays a more of a role, from what you have said you have watched, genshiken is a must watch. You won't be dissappointed the show is all about development and at the end of you will want more.
Old 2009-03-16, 12:37   Link #10
Telmah

I thought you'd like 5 Centimeters per second because it hits a few of your qualifications especially, male main character (usually Shinkai model of a blank slate you can identify with), realistic without any fantasy or sci-fi elements, potentially depressing plot elements, amazing production values. I wasn't as certain on The Promised Place of our Early Days because the ending is so darn happy at the end.
Old 2009-03-16, 12:45   Link #11
wOoOzZy
Master Blaster

If you liked FMA and Scrapped Princess, you'll probably like Last Exile. I dunno why but I always think of those three in the same category. You also might like Chrono Crusade.
Old 2009-03-16, 12:54   Link #12
GuavaNectar
Hikikomori

Nosauz,

I'm downloading Genshiken right now. You've convinced me. XD Haha, it seems perfect for my mood right now. I don't mind female characters, it's only when they are what I'd call "typical anime girls".

Telmah,
Yeah, it definitely sounds good. That's for sure. I'm probably gunna be a sobbing mess though, hehe. I cried a LOT during Voices of a Distant Star. And that last episode of Clannad. I tried looking up 'Shinkai' but I'm only more confused now. :x What did you mean by that sentence? Hehe..

I can enjoy happy endings sometimes, but not all the time. I really hate it when the ending is generally happy, but a lover consensually splits up because of lifestyles or .. worlds lol.

edit--

wOoOzZy,

Last Exile looks good imo, so I'll probably try that out as well.

I'm not so sure about Chrono Crusade. I have a feeling I wouldn't like it much.
Old 2009-03-16, 13:19   Link #13
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Fate Stay Night
Claymore
Kaze no Stigma
Kenichi
Old 2009-03-16, 14:10   Link #14
GuavaNectar
Hikikomori

Quote:
Originally Posted by incube View Post
Fate Stay Night
Claymore
Kaze no Stigma
Kenichi

Fate/stay Night
mosts interests me out of that list. My boyfriend watched it... so to be honest that makes me want to watch it more. Lame of me, eh? lol.
Old 2009-03-16, 20:00   Link #15
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaNectar View Post

Fate/stay Night
mosts interests me out of that list. My boyfriend watched it... so to be honest that makes me want to watch it more. Lame of me, eh? lol.
why lame? Usually i find TV series or movies more interesting when there is someone i can talk about it with. And FSN is a great anime without taking into acount your boyfriend xD
Old 2009-03-16, 23:29   Link #16
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

How about Toaru Majutsu no Index? I'm watching that right now and I'm loving it. It's basically about espers (technology based) versus magicians (magic/religion based), a girl named Index (who holds vast knowledge of the magical world), and an esper named Touma. There are other main characters as well, but it's largely about Touma fighting magicians and stuff. Very cool anime, with high quality animation, good action, and a sincere storyline and character development. Touma kicks ass, even though he's an incredibly "weak" esper. (He's a Level 0 esper, but his power is unique in that it can completely dispel any supernatural forces, esper- or magic-related, simply by making contact with his right hand. he is also unable to control this power and it is on all the time, making him very unlucky because it dispels good luck, so you've got comedy right there.) I would highly recommend it if you haven't checked it out yet.

Hellsing OVA. They're only 5 OVAs out thus far, but each one is almost an hour long, extremely high quality animation, awesome storyline, and a wide variety of characters. If you didn't know, it's basically about vampires, in particular two vampires named Alucard and his "apprentice" of sorts Seras, whose life Alucard saved by turning her into a vampire. Alucard is extremely powerful, and is crazy and scary to boot. Which makes him awesome in every possible way. You cannot lose with his red trenchcoat and hat, and freaking gigantic handgun. There's also a regular series, but it was made too early and doesn't follow the manga. Not to mention the OVAs have better animation, editing, etc. It has tons of blood and gore, but if you watched Gantz, I'm sure you can handle it. The complexity of the characters and intriguing storyline really sucked me in.

Have you ever seen Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann? Ultimate GAR-fest, and probably more suited to male audiences, but you might like it too. Kamina and Simon kick ass, and the series has it's shares of emotional highs and lows. If you're willing to accept some ridiculous notions of fighting spirit powering giant mecha, everything else will fall into place. And if you don't like it, your boyfriend might, lol.

Finally, I would suggest Seirei no Moribito. It has some of the highest quality animation I have ever seen. I mean, it could be its own movie if it were, say, an OVA instead of a full 26 episode series. The main character is Balsa, a female spear-wielding bodyguard that seeks to atone for her sins by saving the lives of others. She has also sworn never to take the life of another. She is quite possibly the strongest female character I have ever seen in any anime, ever. She's not strong in a fiery way, either. More like she's a rock that cannot be moved or deterred, and she can defeat almost someone without killing them with relative ease. She's a bit older (she's 30 years old according to Balsa), so she is calm, collected and mature, which is a rarity in female leads, in my opinion. Basically, the story is that she is called on to protect the prince of the nation, but supernatural forces wreck all sorts of havoc (that's all I'll say for fear of spoilers) and between assassins and the spirit that is inhabiting the prince Chagum, Balsa has her hands full.

That's all I can think of for now. I hope my "reviews" helped you.
Old 2009-03-17, 00:08   Link #17
Echoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaNectar View Post

I tried looking up 'Shinkai' but I'm only more confused now. :x What did you mean by that sentence? Hehe..
Makoto Shinkai is the creative genius behind 5 Centimeters per Second, The Place Promised in Our Early Days and Voices of a Distant Star.
Old 2009-03-17, 00:33   Link #18
Telmah

Echoes hit it on the nail, more or less. I was just saying that he tends to have very empty characters in a way--like they are blank slates that are really easy to identify with. That's why they are so effective at grasping the viewer's heart in such a short time. There's no excess traits in them, so you can focus on their feelings more.
Old 2009-03-17, 05:59   Link #19
Great Kou
Wishes under the Promise

No one has mentioned Welcome to the NHK?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6357

It's definitely about a slacker with no life....has a male lead and no love triangles, that I can recall to mind been awhile but it is a must see at least it appealed to me I thought it was amazing to say the least..

Edit: my bad was looking over you're post again seems you have seen it :"(

ahh.. well to redeem myself here is a few more I can recall that seem to fit the bill

If you liked Beck then I would recommend NANA very very good music,romance and character development but I Know it does have quite a few Love quarrels/Triangles/Drama..

Also Kamisama Kazoku is a nice 25 ep. too get lost in not really realistic but it keeps you pretty much entertained with the ideas of a not so perfect angel/s. Give it a try

and since I'm feeling generous I'll recomend another

Final Approach Now here is the get up with this one the main protagonist (male) comes home one night forced into a relationship becomes of japans low birth rates that keep seeming to decend and becomes part of a program to end that... haha heaven right? sign me up anyday!! well to cut it short very interesting, funny, seemingly realistic to its own degree I mean men can only hope for a stay at home housewife from the drop of hat one evening right?

Hope I helped in some way

Last edited by Great Kou; 2009-03-17 at 06:22.
Old 2009-03-17, 18:20   Link #20
GuavaNectar
Hikikomori

Just for the record.. I watched Genshiken and liked it. Downloading Nodame now. I also downloaded Kanon but hated it due to the annoying Ayu and unnamed amnesia girl. =/ Stopped in the 3rd episode.

edit--

NANA is something I'd give a try. Thanks for the suggestions.

The other ones though, I don't think so. Final Approach is something I'd watch if it was 100% serious and not comedy.

"
Edit: my bad was looking over you're post again seems you have seen it :"("

Hehe, no problem.

(and lol... I was wondering what'd happen if I deleted a post.)
Closed Thread