AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-15, 18:38   Link #1
gUnDaL
Azumanga Daioh Fanboy

Question Good Mangas?

HEY!!! I got some cash too spend on a manga shopping spree~~ I was wonderin what mangas are WORTH buying.. any genre is fine with me.. as long as i enjoy it!.... thanks in advanced for your replies!!!
Old 2004-02-15, 18:45   Link #2
Griffith

I haven't gotten the chance to read the Shadow Star manga yet, but I'm currently obsessed with the anime version (Narutaru) so I'll definetly recommend that. Berserk is great also.
Old 2004-02-15, 18:55   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gUnDaL
any genre is fine with me.. as long as i enjoy it!....
But it would help if we knew what you enjoyed, what country you are in, if you don't mind buying via the internet, and I assume you want it in English as well.

The simple answer I think would be to obtain the manga of the anime series you like. Judging by your av and sig, then the Azumanga Daioh manga should be on your list. Or go to Amazon.com and search for 'TokyoPop' or 'Dark Horse' to get an idea of what's available in English.

Come on, give us a clue as to what you might like in anime
Old 2004-02-15, 19:14   Link #4
gUnDaL
Azumanga Daioh Fanboy

OH.... sorry... I'm in California, USA... and i dont mind ordering from the internet... and yes i want it in english heh... i like.... comedy, mabe some romance.... but im not really sure what i like... if you enjoyed it... just list em... ill try readin them =)

thank yoouuuuu
Old 2004-02-15, 19:16   Link #5
ElvenPath
a step away from heaven

For some good places to buy manga online, check the "Where to buy manga?" sticky.

Note: welcome to the boards gUnDaL
Old 2004-02-15, 20:11   Link #6
Shaman
kitty kitty..meow

Some mangas i think are good that you should check out are: One Piece, Naruto, shaman King, .hack, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop. FLCL is suppose to be good but im not sure. try some of those.
Old 2004-02-16, 06:14   Link #7
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gUnDaL
i like.... comedy, mabe some romance.... but im not really sure what i like...
Well, if you like comedy and some romance then you might want to give the following a try (in no particular order)

Kare Kano
Kodocha
Paradise Kiss
Chobits
Boys Over Flowers (Hana Yori Dango)
Full Metal Panic
Inu Yasha
Love Hina
Oh My Goddess
GTO

Some of the other suggestions here are good but not entirely in the vein you suggested
Naruto
One Piece
Narurtaru (Shadow Star) Neither funny or romantic but dark

Trouble is, someone is bound to like a series (no matter how 'bad' it is ), so asking for general recommendations will be a very hit or miss affair.

If you have the chance at all, I would really recommend that you visit a bookstore selling manga (there should be a lot of them around in CA from what I hear) and have a look/read a bit of them before you buy. Or as I said, if you have seen an anime you like, get the manga, very often it's different enough to make it appear to be a new story (but then again, some such as Naruto, are near enough identical).

Edit
Added GTO as suggested by Baba, forgot about that (but that's because I personally don't like it but it is very popular).

Last edited by xris; 2004-02-16 at 08:32.
Old 2004-02-16, 07:32   Link #8
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
I'd like to add GTO to this list since it also has both comedy(a lot) and romance (a little). Beside, GTO is such a good manga that you should read it anyway .
"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watch on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleeper, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."
G.R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire, A Game of Thrones.

Last edited by Baba; 2004-02-16 at 14:22.
Old 2004-02-16, 13:29   Link #9
_Yuki_
*In love*

Send a message via AIM to _Yuki_ Send a message via MSN to _Yuki_ Send a message via Yahoo to _Yuki_
yah GTO is very good manga,

but I prefer Blade of the immortal, ^-^, luv the art (so BLOODY )

and recommend chobits too, 'coz it's one of my fav romantic manga ^^
Old 2004-02-16, 22:09   Link #10
KilolaK2

Send a message via MSN to KilolaK2
Good Mangas?

Ya i GTo is a really good manga

i heard that I"S is a really good manga to but i neva seen it before n e one have it??
Old 2004-02-17, 03:02   Link #11
Spyre
"Soon"

Fruits Basket is another good Romance/Comedy.... Though its shojo romance/comedy.

For shonen romance/comedy, try the previously mentioned Love Hina or Chobits.
Old 2004-02-17, 04:37   Link #12
Evan
天使我爱你

y not try the old,Ranma 1/2 and Maison ikkoku is great!
Old 2004-02-17, 19:23   Link #13
7thMethuselah

Comedy // Romance

Love Hina (the best manga ever imho )
Chobits

Romance

Ai Yori Aoshi (only appeared recently but first volume was quite enjoyable)
Ah! My Goddess : good story, drawings were less for me but if you like the style you'll love this manga.
SaishuuHeiki Kanojo : the drawing styling is AMAZING, not to mention the story is kickass as well, this is one manga you can't miss out on

Action

Rurouni Kenshin : reads like a train, I always bought several manga at a time and then read them all in one streak

Akira : AWESOME drawings, not to mention Tetsuo is waaaay cool

Naruto : well, anime and naruto manga follow each other closely so not sure if this would be worth your money but it IS good

Inu Yasha : very very addictive, even tough art is a little less detailed

Shoujo

Fushigi Yuugi : typical shoujo (girls) manga, funny, portion of romance and magic, ... might not be easy finding these tough (at least for me it's that way)

Other

Planetes : I tried this one and was pleasantly surprised by it, If you've seen the anime don't be fooled by it, the manga is different, better story, more detailed character, more serious (no idiots), ...
Old 2004-02-21, 23:23   Link #14
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

Manga I like (in no particular order):
- Slayers
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Tokyo Mew Mew
- Love Hina
- Inu Yasha
- Chrno Crusade
- Chobits, Get Backers, Kindaichi Shounen, Othello, Kaito Saint Tail, Psychic Academy, Peach Girl (all serialized in Manga Power)
- Dna˛
- Fruits Basket
- Kare Kano
- Angelic Layer
- Chirality
- Legend of Lemnear
- Magic Knight Rayearth
- Manga Love Story
- Miyuki-Chan in Wonderland
- Tenchi Muyo
- Video Girl Ai
- Time Stranger Kyoko
- Naru Taru
- Apple Seed
- Card Captor Sakura
- Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne
- Sailor Moon
- Sailor V
- Wedding Peach
- Gunsmith Cats
- You're under Arrest
- Marie & Elie
- Ranma ˝
- Saber Marionette

Dunno which of these are avaiable in the US...
Old 2004-02-22, 00:03   Link #15
demoneclipse
Ride on Shooting Star

Send a message via AIM to demoneclipse
^^ What manga? Wow... Well, I'll give you a review. Its a shoujo, but its addicting! ^^

Hot Gimmick - A story of the slightly ditzy Hatsumi and her very strict living apartment thingy. In her housing complex, everything relies on reputation because of the "Queen of the Housewives" whose husband owns the company that all of the residents work at. All of the people either have to suck up to her or completly try to avoid her. So when Hatsumi has to go buy a pregnancy test for her younger sister [14! O_o] she gets caught by Ryoki Tachibana, the son of the "Queen". Hatsumi begs that Ryoki won't tell anyone [namingly his mother] about the test and in return, she becomes Ryoki's slave! In the middle of an interesting slave/mastaa thing, Azusa pops up out of nowhere and stops Ryoki.

Opinion- This is an awesome manga full of twists and turns but you easily get confused. By the end of the second volume, your head is practically spinning. Who is the bad guy here?!

Rating? T+ for Older Teens

-- Wow, I'm good at reveiwing. This is just my recomendation!
Old 2004-02-23, 11:47   Link #16
Carpe Jugulum
Kessen Satsu

Send a message via AIM to Carpe Jugulum Send a message via MSN to Carpe Jugulum
I agree with –YUKI- Blade of The Immortal is an amazing Manga I mean the artwork is outstanding its also very consistent I think there are 13 volumes out (or something like that) it’s a but violent but everyone loves a bit of gore
Old 2004-02-23, 20:51   Link #17
xpeed
Car Designer

Here's my favorite manga list by far

1.) GTO <= Best series of all time
2.) Pretty Face <= Really good series
3.) Ranma 1/2
4.) Tuxedo Gin
5.) Love Hina
6.) Crayon Shin-Chan
7.) Azumanga Daioh
8.) Gunslinger Girl
9.) Onegai Teacher
10.) Ichikoh 100%

That's all.
Old 2004-02-23, 22:35   Link #18
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

GTO is something you have to get.
One Piece, Love Hina, Kenshin, Happy Lesson, Full Metal Panic is good too.

theres also a good american manga: "Megatokyo".... but u can read all of it for free on his site megatokyo.com Its nice to have the book tho.
Old 2004-02-24, 00:29   Link #19
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

GTO, Love Hina, Rurouni Kenshin, Azumanga Daioh, Fruits Basket
if you're a romance/comedy fan (like me...oddly enough i detest the american counterparts of romantic/comedy) these series are a MUST
i've only read 16 volumes but GTO is just great, 16 volumes only covers about a 4 month span of time and each chapter is jammed full of comedy and some of the most unusual and appealing characters i've ever seen (ESPECIALLY Kanzaki Urumi)
Old 2004-02-24, 02:10   Link #20
black-epiphany
Kuroi

Send a message via AIM to black-epiphany Send a message via MSN to black-epiphany
I highly recommend "Battle Angel Alita" it has a really corny title but it's a WONDERFUL series. It's like Ghost in the Shell with a original plot and brilliant action sequences.
Closed Thread