AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-21, 10:31   Link #321
Grif

First episode i thought was good, but could have been better.

Just watched the second episode and it blew me away. Only problem would be how to follow it up from there.
Grif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 13:32   Link #322
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Actually baking a cake is cheaper than buying one.
This shop is recommended online. Then there's this list. Loads of choices apparently. Prob cheaper to buy a supermarket version than the bakery version.
Lol. The only place more expensive than the UK is Japan. We used to live near Notting Hill (it's a district in London). Funny to see the name in Tokyo (the name of the cake store in the link).
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!!
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 15:42   Link #323
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
One time out of 1,178? OK, at least there is still room for improvement ...
No probably not. Unless of course you were to go undergo a full re-education there's just to much of a difference in what we look for in our entertainment.

Anyway, I kind of find it funny that the main character is named Mirai and yet by all appearances it looks like she has none and feels like she has none. Kind of depressing right off the bat.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 10:49   Link #324
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We've done "cupcake birthday cakes" before (array of cupcakes with candles)... everyone generally agreed it simply "wasn't the same thing".

I can't even imagine "everyone gets their own flavor" ... that seems intensely self-centered. A birthday is THAT person's special day; to me eating what THEY like is part of the bonding/celebratory process.

Something very innately psychological in the sharing from one entity I imagine.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 18:32   Link #325
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
We've done "cupcake birthday cakes" before (array of cupcakes with candles)... everyone generally agreed it simply "wasn't the same thing".

I can't even imagine "everyone gets their own flavor" ... that seems intensely self-centered. A birthday is THAT person's special day; to me eating what THEY like is part of the bonding/celebratory process.

Something very innately psychological in the sharing from one entity I imagine.
Cupcakes are for birthday parties at school.

I haven't been following this argument very much, since I thought Mirai's complaints about cake to be completely senseless, but what is self-centered about the mother getting a cake the way she wanted for HER OWN birthday? Especially since the rest of her family is too busy feeling sorry for themselves and watching TV to bake a cake for her (alright, Yuuki's too young to do it by himself). Did Japan even celebrate birthdays before a big Western influence? That might be why they're doing it wrong.
Old 2009-07-22, 21:30   Link #326
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

So was she upset that they weren't sharing a cake together? Is that why she was upset? I couldn't tell exactly what she wanted.

Did she just want to have her whole family share together?
fish eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 21:58   Link #327
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
So was she upset that they weren't sharing a cake together? Is that why she was upset? I couldn't tell exactly what she wanted.

Did she just want to have her whole family share together?
That's pretty much exactly the thing. The cake's shape doesn't really matter.

What hurts even more is that this woman, a single overworked mother she didn't even know three hours ago, understands exactly what she means.
Ninjacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 23:57   Link #328
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

It was briefly mentioned before, but I'm just now reading some of the manga Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou ("51 Ways to Protect Her") on mangafox. Completely different characters, and more blood and suffering so far, but an earthquake that hits while our heroes are at Odaiba: clearly a source of this story. A good read through five chapters.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!!

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2009-07-23 at 00:10.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 02:10   Link #329
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacat View Post
That's pretty much exactly the thing. The cake's shape doesn't really matter.

What hurts even more is that this woman, a single overworked mother she didn't even know three hours ago, understands exactly what she means.
If she is so into family than why does she not want to be around her little brother? And then she doesn't want to buy her mother a birthday present. I guess that when you are a 13 year old girl you do things that don't make very much sense.

I like when she says something like "...people treating me like im a kid." and her brother responds, but we ARE kids.

I know I've said it earlier in the thread already but I have to say it again. They did such a good job crafting this character. They actually made her unlikable. She is the kind of character you want to slap and say "stop being such a brat!". But that is part of what makes her so interesting.

I hate perfect character. I want to watch people who are imperfect. Characters who are damaged and have issues. They have set the stage perfectly. This show I predict will be very much a show not about natural disaster, but character development.

This girl is going to have to shed her ways of old and mature. It is going to be really interesting when the moment comes that she finally has to look at herself from the outside in and will not be able to justify her past actions. That is the moment I am anticipating the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
It was briefly mentioned before, but I'm just now reading some of the manga Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou ("51 Ways to Protect Her") on mangafox. Completely different characters, and more blood and suffering so far, but an earthquake that hits while our heroes are at Odaiba: clearly a source of this story. A good read through five chapters.

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I will be sure to check that out.
Old 2009-07-23, 04:20   Link #330
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
If she is so into family than why does she not want to be around her little brother? And then she doesn't want to buy her mother a birthday present. I guess that when you are a 13 year old girl you do things that don't make very much sense.

I like when she says something like "...people treating me like im a kid." and her brother responds, but we ARE kids.

I know I've said it earlier in the thread already but I have to say it again. They did such a good job crafting this character. They actually made her unlikable. She is the kind of character you want to slap and say "stop being such a brat!". But that is part of what makes her so interesting.
No 13yos aren't kids. They are teens. They are at a point where they have to make decisions on their own. She has every right to be treated as an equal customer. You don't ask adult strangers who you're buying a gift for unless you're the sales person. Snatching that hair accessory fast is not polite. That type of behaviour in the US would have generated some impolite discourse depending on the age of the slower person grabbing the accessory. Telling another parent to hurry up at a robot exhibit would have generated a similar response.

Not too many 13yos want to hang around 6yos. They have their own group. At some point, she is going to start dating. It goes back to the mother not assuming that Mirai would have her own plans and took it upon herself to dump the brother on Mirai. In other words, she treated Mirai like a kid and not a teen.

In some aspects, I'm agreeing with Mirai.
Old 2009-07-23, 04:43   Link #331
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
No 13yos aren't kids. They are teens. They are at a point where they have to make decisions on their own. She has every right to be treated as an equal customer. You don't ask adult strangers who you're buying a gift for unless you're the sales person. Snatching that hair accessory fast is not polite. That type of behaviour in the US would have generated some impolite discourse depending on the age of the slower person grabbing the accessory. Telling another parent to hurry up at a robot exhibit would have generated a similar response.

Not too many 13yos want to hang around 6yos. They have their own group. At some point, she is going to start dating. It goes back to the mother not assuming that Mirai would have her own plans and took it upon herself to dump the brother on Mirai. In other words, she treated Mirai like a kid and not a teen.

In some aspects, I'm agreeing with Mirai.
That lady grabbed it without realizing they were gonna get it. When she realized what had happened she gave it back even though Mirai didn't want her to. I think she was being very kind. Heck her little brother was being more honest than she was. I guess she had a choice to make and instead of speaking up she acted as if though the lady had slighted her somehow. And then when the lady was kind enough to apologize and compliment their taste in presents Mirai was being a brat instead of acting how an adult would act in that situation.

If you want to be treated with respect you need to treat others with respect. If you want to be treated as an adult than act like an adult.

A 13 year old girl IMHO should not be able just to go out and do whatever she wants. Why would her mother just assume that her daughter is going somewhere? I know that all families are different, but if I had a 13 year old daughter she would need to ask me for permission and explain to me where and who she was going to be with before she went anywhere. If in fact her mother allowed her to do those things I would look down on her as a bad parent.

Yes she is technically a teenager, that doesn't mean she is not a kid. She is definitely not an adult. She is in that awkward in-between stage. I know some kids that are 12 & 13. They have about as much street smarts as a rock. On the other hand I know a girl who just turned 14 who is very mature.

The problem with kids who are at the age of 12-15ish is that they think they know a whole lot more than they really do.

Of course 13 year olds dont want to hang out with 6 year olds. My point was that she makes a big deal about her family not spending time together and then when it comes to spending time with her brother she doesnt want to.

Does that mean she wants to be around her family as long as they are adults because she believes in her own mind that she is an adult?

BTW please don't interpret this as me saying your opinions and thoughts are invalid. I just disagree. I also don't mind if you disagree with me as long as its civil you know?

Also what is your age and gender? Are you a 13 year old girl? That would explain your argument.
Old 2009-07-23, 08:17   Link #332
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

FTR, I believe Yuuki is about 8, not 6. And as someone who grew up with sisters 6 and 8 years older, I can tell you that from my perspective they pretty much nailed Mirai's relationship with him. I would describe it as a sort of impatient protectiveness - she's annoyed at both his boyish nature (into robots, etc.) and his childishness (though it's perfectly age-appropriate). Yet she also feels an almost parental connection to him which feeds her ego somewhat.

The discussion around this topic is very interesting, and the fact that it's been generated tells me that they really did nail the character dynamics on this.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 11:42   Link #333
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Also what is your age and gender? Are you a 13 year old girl? That would explain your argument.
Secret!

Even if Mirai had absolutely nothing planned (asked or forgotten to ask), mom should have checked first instead of pushing the parental responsibility again onto a 13 yo.
Old 2009-07-23, 12:03   Link #334
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Quote:
Even if Mirai had absolutely nothing planned (asked or forgotten to ask), mom should have checked first instead of pushing the parental responsibility again onto a 13 yo.
I'd think that it should be the other way around: the child should ask for the parent's permission before planning any kind of outing. Unless you mean something she could do at home, like watching a show or some such.

Children defer to parents, not the other way around. IMHO, of course.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 12:06   Link #335
DragonOfTheWest

im watchin this
DragonOfTheWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 16:06   Link #336
_gallo_

Ep 3 was another great episode, imho. The story isn't really moving fast but I like how they're handling it, and I think that characterizations were superb in this episode.
Spoiler:

There were also some good animated moments concerning buildings collapsing with some smoke and water effects. Soichiro Matsuda appeared in the credits so I guess he animated one of these parts, maybe the one with the bridge nearly the end.

[... the secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don't deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don't surprise you with the unforeseen.. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover's skin. You know how they end yet you listen as though you don't. In the way that you know that one day you will die, you live as though you won't. In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn't. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic. ...] Arundhati Roy

Last edited by _gallo_; 2009-07-24 at 03:43.
_gallo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 19:11   Link #337
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

Episode 3 starts off as if it's going to be an all-talk episode, but things get more and more intense, till you're on the edge of your seat for the last few minutes.
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 00:41   Link #338
Celestial Kitsune
Myobu

Episode 3 was not great, but prevented me from dropping the show.
Celestial Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 03:42   Link #339
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Watched Episode 3. I like Mari a lot. It takes someone of character to deal with someone as difficult as an average 13-year-old like Mirai.

You can feel the tension starting to rise, as everyone starts coming to grips with how bad the situation is. The more stressed they are, the less polite they get. I just keep liking this show more and more.
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-24, 07:39   Link #340
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofus Maximus View Post
Episode 3 starts off as if it's going to be an all-talk episode, but things get more and more intense, till you're on the edge of your seat for the last few minutes.
Sure as hell did.

For me, this is basically a must watch because this kind of stuff actually touches upon a raw nerve. I mean, these kinds of things have happened on a smaller scale and it really can happen.

All the little things like the human stampede actually was very tense not because it was anything special, but because things like that actually happen. Living through a few disasters (some on a historic scale... like 9/11) myself, some scenes were actually hard to watch.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, japan, noitamina, tragedy