AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-09-13, 21:25   Link #1101
old school anime fan
anime blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Except that someone has to pay for the cremation, claim the body. I didn't see Mari stepping up to the plate to hand over her credit card. If the body is unclaimed then someone has to bury etc. but Yuuki wasn't cold yet for 24 hours. They have at least one live relative so a source of payment is assured by attacking the estate of the family via the living relative imo. So no need for the quickie mass burial in this case imo.

----

Speaking of Monster, wasn't the foreign kids quite cute?
I don't think that in a period of national emergency that they'd be worrying about a credit card at that very moment, plus I think that once a state of emergency is declared money would not be an issue, the national government is after all responsible for its citizens.

In TM 8.0 the scale of deaths was 120x greater than the deaths of the 9-11 attacks on the U.S and with Japan having less than 1/2 the U.S population the effect would be 240x greater, so I don't think that they'd be worrying about cash at that moment.

Also, with most people not really knowing who's dead or alive in any given family I think that Mari's and Mirai's ID of Yuuki's body would be enough, plus Yuuki would most likely have his student ID somewhere on his person.
old school anime fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 21:40   Link #1102
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old school anime fan View Post
I don't think that in a period of national emergency that they'd be worrying about a credit card at that very moment, plus I think that once a state of emergency is declared money would not be an issue, the national government is after all responsible for its citizens.

In TM 8.0 the scale of deaths was 120x greater than the deaths of the 9-11 attacks on the U.S and with Japan having less than 1/2 the U.S population the effect would be 240x greater, so I don't think that they'd be worrying about cash at that moment.

Also, with most people not really knowing who's dead or alive in any given family I think that Mari's and Mirai's ID of Yuuki's body would be enough, plus Yuuki would most likely have his student ID somewhere on his person.
Businesses do worry about payments. That medical staff wasn't working for free and neither are the crematoriums. The supplies to the hospital weren't free. Bills have to be paid. When you can get paid, you look for payment. (That nice nurse that did the patient's medical history in Mirai's dream was also gettng the payment info I bet.) It decreases the government debt as the government will be the ones sucking up the debt from the disaster if the hospitals, employees, etc aren't paid by normal means. Bodies can be frozen while awaiting to be picked up.

You really didn't think that the hospital staff wasn't being paid for this?

Edit: Of course, being a nice MD only goes so far.

Last edited by orion; 2009-09-13 at 21:58.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 21:48   Link #1103
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

For what is worth it, I happen to have an interest in hearing the opinions of people that agree and disagree with me. Even if I am enjoying the show, I still want to hear why others are not enjoying it.

As for Yuuki, I got the feeling that the last scene in this epsiode was his last.

At least the last one for his Spirit/Ghost form.
Old 2009-09-13, 22:17   Link #1104
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If you had offered it a month ago, I would have bet you a million dollars (if I had it) that we wouldn't end up in this bizarro place now when it comes to this series and this discussion. What a staggeringly disappointing turn of events. It certainly supports the notion that it's much harder to finish a series well than to start it well.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 09:16   Link #1105
ila
Asian Zing

Send a message via AIM to ila
Wow. I wasn't expecting that bit at the end. Maybe its my lack of observation, but until he started to randomly disappear I figured Yuuki was alive and well.

Although after rewatching 8 and 9, Mirai's reactions and just subtle things like Yuuki not talking to anyone except Mirai make more sense.

Last edited by ila; 2009-09-14 at 09:30.
ila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 09:32   Link #1106
Goofus Maximus
Senile Member

I never saw that coming either, though it was telegraphed broadly enough, when I look back. I don't know. At this point, it can be handled well, or it can be handled badly. I was enjoying the realism to this point, so I'm disappointed at this turn of events.

If they handle this as a psychological breakdown rather than as a ghost story, I'll be happier... in a morose way.
Goofus Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 09:36   Link #1107
ila
Asian Zing

Send a message via AIM to ila
Yeah it really is hard to tell if this is Mirai going crazy or a "one last task" style thing. Either way I guess I don't mind which way it goes since I'm enjoying the series enough. Of course, I'd rather it go the psychological breakdown.
ila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 15:58   Link #1108
FireChick

Okay, if any company should license this for the US market, then FUNimation is my best bet. Their actors have been getting really good, and I can think of good actors for the characters already! I think...

Brittney Karbowski should be Mirai
Luci Christian should be Yuuki
Caitlin Glass or Colleen Clinkenbeard should be Mari
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 21:21   Link #1109
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
Okay, if any company should license this for the US market, then FUNimation is my best bet. Their actors have been getting really good, and I can think of good actors for the characters already! I think...

Brittney Karbowski should be Mirai
Luci Christian should be Yuuki
Caitlin Glass or Colleen Clinkenbeard should be Mari
FUNi would prob steer clear of this one imo. They went after Eden of the East which had all the buzz.
Old 2009-09-15, 02:02   Link #1110
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I don't think dealing with the actual number of the dead is that big a deal as far as logistics go. Big 1st world nations have the infrastructure to at least store the dead in freeze.

It's the dealing of LIVING people that is troublesome since that requires a LOT of care, attention and expertise.

Which is why when Yuuki died, he was carted off somewhere with a number. It's not a hard thing to store bodies. I bet they can store millions of them if they had to.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 02:21   Link #1111
Tiberium Wolf

So Yuki was dead in ep 8. I looked ep 8 and 9 carefully and Mari really didn't call Yuki at all. Mirai was hallucinating already. If someone that came and watched the eps after the part where it's shown Yuki dead it really wouldn't know that Yuki there is an hallucination.
Old 2009-09-15, 14:00   Link #1112
Ghostfriendly

It was a nice idea to show Mirai getting to a point where she can be shocked into acknowledging Yuki's death by looking over the things he left behind and helping his friend. The bits where Yuki vanished every time Itsuki came back in the room did feel rather clumsy, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
I don't know what people think the difference is... ghost vs delusion --- both are just projections of a distraught human memory.
That's a fair suggestion for what a ghost might be. The difference for a traditional ghost is that it would have a will of its own rather than being projected by a deluded mind. Yuki's lines seem to relate to Mirai's own thoughts on him, and growing suspicions of his death, suggesting that he is a projection, which could be called a delusion or a ghost, rather than something out of Bleach.

BTW, I'd say Monster is set in the real world, but not entirely realistic. Maybe fantastic realism, or a very distinct realm of fantasy shared with Usual Suspects, Kill Bill, Apocalypse Now and the Bee Train GWG shows.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2009-09-15 at 14:17.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 18:28   Link #1113
TMSIDR
Haruhi's Minion

This series really surprised in me in Ep. 10 and I think Mirai only hallucinates, and Mari now is really worried because the girl left her.

It's really strange that this "famiily-friendly" anime gets so dark.
Old 2009-09-16, 03:35   Link #1114
Fimbulvetr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Wait.

Yuuki has now become a ghost by democratic vote?
I couldn't stop laughing there, once again. Those 56 pages were a nice read yesterday.

And I think he has. My vote goes towards ghost too, I just find that easier to believe than a healthy young girl with and no potent drugs in her bloodstream having a long-term multisensory hallucination.

Blocking out memories or trying to dismiss them as a bad dream is not only very possible but also really likely, so denial would have worked really well here. I tried to imagine Mirai asking Mari where her brother went, not getting a real answer but just a sad look, and then setting off to search for him, running around calling for him while she can feel the panic creeping up on her; and at the end the devastating realisation.... and I think that could have been really powerful too but of course it would have been impossible to stretch over the length of 3 episodes.

I'm just glad I was told about the ep8 stunt before I watched eps 4-10 the day before yesterday, I'm pretty sure I would have missed or discarded even the most obvious hints because I wouldn't have expected something like that from this show.

edit: I almost forgot why I posted at all..
I disagree with the people who think that it's a sign of Mirai growing up (or trying to) when she's a nice big sister now. It feels more like she just reverted to the big sis she has always been - until she hit puberty and started to find everything annoying, most of all that younger brother.

Last edited by Fimbulvetr; 2009-09-16 at 03:54.
Fimbulvetr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 06:57   Link #1115
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Personally the ghost idea would have never crossed my mind if it wasn't for this thread. This kind of "ghost" you are talking about can only manifest itself in front of a single person, cannot exist if it isn't "observed" by such person, cannot interact with matter in any way, it isn't bound to a specific location but to the aforementioned person. If this is a ghost your definition of ghost is really no different from what is commonly considered a delusion.

Anyway what do you expect at this point? That the anime will end up with people recognizing that Mirai has suddenly become a medium? Mari certainly doesn't think that way. If Mari was thinking that Mirai is seeing yuuki's ghost she would have asked about him. By Mari's reactions you can well understand that she has no doubt that Mirai has becoming delusional since she's unable to accept her brother's death.

I see no reason to think differently from what a first hand witness of the situation concluded.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 10:01   Link #1116
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Of course, Mari being the accomplished psychologist that she is, she would be the utmost authority in the matter, eh?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 10:17   Link #1117
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

because the most accomplished psychologist in the world would certainly tell you that Mirai is seeing a ghost rather than being (in most extreme case) a very peculiar case of delusional bahavior. Yes.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 13:39   Link #1118
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

He/she might, if they have an open mind.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 14:03   Link #1119
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
because the most accomplished psychologist in the world would certainly tell you that Mirai is seeing a ghost rather than being (in most extreme case) a very peculiar case of delusional bahavior. Yes.
An open mind is best. A delusion wouldn't have advance knowledge or made to have one in retrospect of those little things like Hina being alive or that building about to collapse causing Mirai and Itsuki to fall to their deaths. That would be the difference that was shown in the anime that would sep a delusion from a ghost imo.

Besides, there's only 1 ep. to go. Ghost is the simplest and fastest way to resolution imo. Delusion requires therapy.
Old 2009-09-16, 16:30   Link #1120
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
An open mind is best.
Except when something isn't able to be disproved.
Quote:
Delusion requires therapy.
I'd say going through an event a) like having a your city collapse around you and b) having your little brother die in front of you, regardless of whether you started seeing apparitions of him later, is enough for counseling.

Tags
bones, japan, noitamina, tragedy