AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-07-11, 01:01   Link #141
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Well said, TRL. This series has real written all over it - some of the best dialogue and most authentic characters since Moribito (again, boring to many because it was too "serious"). It's only one ep and it could all fall apart quickly, but I see potential for true greatness - the force is strong with this one.
Indeed, I really loved the characterisation in this show. The familly dynamics, and the understated nature of it all.

No melodramatic music, no screaming at the top of their lungs while their pastel colored hair blew in the wind. Just a very well portrayed young teenager going through difficult stage of her life with a somewhat broken familly. I really like the fact that no one is portrayed as the bad guy. The father is good natured but lazy, the mother seems like a good person but she's too busy with work. The little brother is adorable, but you can tell there are moments when he finds it hard.

I'm a bit depressed to find I'm apparently the only one who finds the woman to be incredibly hot for some reason.
Ninjacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 01:07   Link #142
solomon

agree with above and especially tinyredleaf's feelings. Remember Noitamina was explicitly made for an audience who doesn't normally watch anime, so I would EXPECT them to do something different.

In regards to Mirai, yea I think she is a malcontent, but that is completely normal, hense making it more realistic.

As fer what Ninjacat said, I think the lady is nice looking (not quite hot, the design doesn't speak to me like that).

Also
Spoiler for end of ep tidbit:
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 01:30   Link #143
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Also
Spoiler for end of ep tidbit:
The following is Lourdes Guerrero, as she appears on Tv, right when the 1985 Mexico earthquake was just starting:

The camera and the building begin to shake, but she always tries to keep a cool head regardless. One could say that, in a way, she was trying to avoid causing even more panic in front of the camera.
Old 2009-07-11, 01:39   Link #144
solomon

Televisa, si?

This is a good point, still I would expect some sort of measured evidence of agitation in the voice or face of an announcer, (along the lines of most professional casters do in an event of SUCH extreme crisis) given the severity of the situation.
Old 2009-07-11, 01:48   Link #145
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Televisa, si?
Yep, that's a Televisa broadcast.

There's a longer better quality version, but it's all in spanish, so I decided to go with this one instead.
Old 2009-07-11, 01:52   Link #146
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

My mom was in a hospital in Mexico City, having just given birth to my older brother, when that earthquake happened. It's possible that I may not have been here right now posting .
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 02:22   Link #147
yura`

I really have to agree with TinyRedLeaf, Guardian Enzo and Ninjacat... this episode was absolutely stellar; it may have been more slice-of-life than action/drama-filled, but I think it was a necessary first episode to set up the plot and setting for the audience.

I wasn't too impressed with Mirai - I really disliked her behaviour at first, especially the way she treated her younger brother (I'm an older sister of two brothers myself who I dote on now), and I really felt like throwing something at her (lol), but then halfway through, I realized - wait, that was ME once upon a time. That was a sobering thought and I stopped feeling so much animosity towards her. I think it's easy to forget that we went through that angst-filled teenage stage once we get out of it; maybe we're just ashamed that we were even like that in the first place so we just automatically dislike portrayals of that sort of character! Lol. I'm sure as the series progress, we'll get a lot more backstory and character development.

Like many others have said, very realistic portrayal. Little brother, on the other hand, displayed a maturity to his character that really touched me at times. He's still very innocent and young for his age, but I really like the contrast in character between sister and brother.

Beautiful episode. I'm already anticipating the next one.
yura` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 03:03   Link #148
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
still I would expect some sort of measured evidence of agitation in the voice or face of an announcer, (along the lines of most professional casters do in an event of SUCH extreme crisis) given the severity of the situation.
Your job is to present the news not to induce panic, a professional caster would keep his cool; if you want to panic that's your job as a crazed citizen =P Also, its not excluded the person in question may not even have been in the city at the time.
Old 2009-07-11, 03:28   Link #149
solomon

I dunno man, I just remember looking at the restrained yet still noticibley "bothered" tones and faces of casters during 9/11, so maybe it's just me.

Anyways back to the show, bring on next weeks episode!
Old 2009-07-11, 04:03   Link #150
duckroll
綺羅星★!

I really like the writing in the show. I can see how some people feel annoyed watching Mirai whine about her life, but she's a really well written character. Her dissatisfaction with her life is natural for someone her age, and it doesn't reflect any malice in her. She obviously loves her family, it's just that she feels unable to express how what she wants out of life at that moment and just dragged along by things everyone else wants or needs.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 04:14   Link #151
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yura` View Post
I wasn't too impressed with Mirai - I really disliked her behaviour at first, especially the way she treated her younger brother (I'm an older sister of two brothers myself who I dote on now), and I really felt like throwing something at her (lol), but then halfway through, I realized - wait, that was ME once upon a time. That was a sobering thought and I stopped feeling so much animosity towards her. I think it's easy to forget that we went through that angst-filled teenage stage once we get out of it; maybe we're just ashamed that we were even like that in the first place so we just automatically dislike portrayals of that sort of character! Lol. I'm sure as the series progress, we'll get a lot more backstory and character development.
That is basically why we were shown her life style and behavior in the first episode, for her growth that is bound to happen in the next 10 episodes, leading upto the ending. I'm sure at the start she'll still be the same, probably worse considering what's going on around her.

Do wonder how this bike lady will play part in the story. I quite like her.
Old 2009-07-11, 05:58   Link #152
baioslaio
Per Magnusson

Send a message via MSN to baioslaio
Very disappointed in the animation.
Bones animes use to have top notch animation but this anime dont.
It has plenty of CG animation too
baioslaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 06:10   Link #153
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I actually like the bratty girl idea, because frankly, who hasn't been pampered and taken life for granted when they were young? I know I do and I can actually understand how she feels with the broken/dysfunctional parent-life. It's easier to sometimes be the brat and zone out from it than take it head on.

But of course, she's forced to face against all that thanks to a real disaster.

Also, I wonder in such a 'realistic' portrayal of such a quake, would anyone crucial to the story actually DIE? That'd be a total killer in a show that aims for realism like this.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 07:21   Link #154
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Also, I wonder in such a 'realistic' portrayal of such a quake, would anyone crucial to the story actually DIE? That'd be a total killer in a show that aims for realism like this.
Spoiler for speculation:
Old 2009-07-11, 08:23   Link #155
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by baioslaio View Post
Very disappointed in the animation.
Bones animes use to have top notch animation but this anime dont.
It has plenty of CG animation too
Isn't this series Kinema Citrus work and not Bones? The same guys that work on some of the new animation on Eureka 7 movie, which wasn't exactly all that great...
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 09:04   Link #156
baioslaio
Per Magnusson

Send a message via MSN to baioslaio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Isn't this series Kinema Citrus work and not Bones? The same guys that work on some of the new animation on Eureka 7 movie, which wasn't exactly all that great...
If this is the case it totally makes sense, because ive never seen a work from bones that has been bad animated.
baioslaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 09:29   Link #157
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
It's a collaboration. They're both working on it, and assistant director of Xam'd is storyboarding and directing a few upcoming episodes as well.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-11, 09:40   Link #158
Riful
Of The West

Quote:
This is a good point, still I would expect some sort of measured evidence of agitation in the voice or face of an announcer, (along the lines of most professional casters do in an event of SUCH extreme crisis) given the severity of the situation.
The newscaster in the series is by the way a real one. Christel Takigawa

http://mainichi.jp/enta/photo/news/2...00025000c.html

If this earthquake happens one day (and chances are high that it will), she will be reporting it in real life ^^; They are really going for the "realism". Might even be a bit scary for a Japanese person who's used to hearing her voice announcing the real news oO;
Old 2009-07-11, 10:05   Link #159
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Great start, I'm really happy to see how real they portray the characters. After watching Eden of East, an anime in a realistic setting with characters that do not behave logically and rationally, I was really worried about this one.

They impressed me with the conflict of the parents, as well as the child complex that the main character displayed.

Now depending on the next few episodes, I'd hope that this stays as real as possible, where the giant earth quake is explained in a realistic and not farfetched retarded reason like aliens crash-landing or psychic beings or w/e.
Old 2009-07-11, 10:13   Link #160
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Interesting.

2 things I noticed.

1: The development seems to hark back to the old disaster movies. You know, the good ones, like Towering Inferno. You follow someone along their normal life, meeting different people at random- and then the crisis hits. I expect that several of those people we randomly ran into will reappear in the following episodes.

2: This is the second anime I've seen that has apathetic characters wishing for something along the lines of "I want the world to break" (Eden of the East had it too)

Notice that this is not daydreaming about some crisis that allows you to be a hero. (Where the emphasis is on being a Hero, and saving other people, and being admired- that is pretty common.) No this is a sort of careless wishing that the current system and world is destroyed because you don't like the system.

I think this implies some great dissatisfaction among the Japanese people, particularly the young. Furthermore they can't actually identify why they are so dissatisfied- as the heroine puts it- "Everything just makes me so angry".

Of course so far Eden of the East and Tokyo 8.0, seem to be coming down pretty hard on the idea. "Be careful what you wish for" kind of Aesop.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bones, japan, noitamina, tragedy