AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 93 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 23.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 10.14%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 2.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 2.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 1.84%
1 out of 10 : Painful 12 5.53%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-03-24, 17:36   Link #541
Sephiroth_760
Anime is lifestyle
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Sephiroth_760 Send a message via Skype™ to Sephiroth_760
I guess it's because, just like Yukinokesshou said, that Ryuuji knows her real personality and he appreciate it.
Ryuuji just has this special warm aura I think^^ If you don't count his face he's a nice guy with cooking skills and he doesn't judge people too fast, he's a friend of natural personalities (not as bad as Kitamura but still xD)

Sure Kitamura knows it too, but since he's a childhood friend, it's easier to fall in love with some new guy than to realize that u love ur childhood friend

Last edited by Solace; 2009-03-24 at 20:15. Reason: novel spoilers removed
Sephiroth_760 is offline  
Old 2009-03-24, 17:40   Link #542
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Use spoilers.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-03-24, 17:42   Link #543
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppygod View Post
Yup. Ryuuji has her mother last name. She never married Ryuujis father - she was underage then, and later he went missing (quite possibly sleeping with fishes in Tokyo Bay ).
Oh yeeaaaaah I nearly forgot that. I guess that either overqualifies or underqualifies Yasuko for lecturing Ryuuji on the brash decisions of youth. :P
__________________
Raiga is offline  
Old 2009-03-24, 17:58   Link #544
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
They really weren't married? Even if they weren't he was there for the birth wasn't he? Children usually take their father's name regardless of marital status. I actually took my mother's name but my situation was a little different from Ryuuji's.
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2009-03-24, 18:45   Link #545
puppygod
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Warsaw, PL
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigithestar View Post
I never understood what Ami saw in Ryuji seriously from the first moment she met him she didn't know anything about the guy and when she started to know things about him..it got on her nerves..I guess its one of those things that can be called love at first sight?
I don't think it was love at first sight. I'm still not sure if Ami feelings towards Ryuuji ever truly were what we could call 'love'. I think that initially her flirting was more of a spite - to show Taiga. She even openly stated that she can take away Ryuuji from Taiga. And then she tried and failed. Meanwhile she saw how Ryuuji 'pampers' Taiga and how close is their relationship. I think it was that combination of jealousy and appeal of forbidden fruit that got her interested in him initially. And later, when she realized how outstanding guy he is it evolved into true sympathy and friendship (and maybe love, though that I wouldn't bet on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
They really weren't married? Even if they weren't he was there for the birth wasn't he? Children usually take their father's name regardless of marital status. I actually took my mother's name but my situation was a little different from Ryuuji's.
I think it's never stated one way or the other, but Yasuko was 16 when she got pregnant, and apparently Ryuujis father went missing either when she was still pregnant or shortly after - so marriage is even less realistic possibility than between Taiga and Ryuuji

I don't know what the laws about inheriting family name are in Japan, but even so I'm not sure everything went by the book in this case.
puppygod is offline  
Old 2009-03-24, 19:05   Link #546
Jethro
howtoplay tomoyofighter?
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ontario, Mississauga (but im Filipino!)
Age: 21
Spoiler for Episode 24 Question:
__________________

"Souiu fuu ni dekiteiru"
Jethro is offline  
Old 2009-03-24, 19:21   Link #547
Janifuu
緩和
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Spoiler:
Janifuu is offline  
Old 2009-03-24, 19:26   Link #548
Jethro
howtoplay tomoyofighter?
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ontario, Mississauga (but im Filipino!)
Age: 21
Spoiler for :
__________________

"Souiu fuu ni dekiteiru"
Jethro is offline  
Old 2009-03-24, 19:32   Link #549
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 23
(... why are we using spoiler tags? Spoiler tags always make me suspicious that they contain novel spoilers... >>)

I guess she just means that with her and Ryuuji running away, getting married, literally becoming a family... and wondering on several levels how Yasuko would feel about that.
__________________
Raiga is offline  
Old 2009-03-24, 20:34   Link #550
Yukinokesshou
ドジ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In a house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
One last question. What type of food was inside the foil Ryuuji gave to Taiga in the train? lol jks.
I'll answer that question anyhow ^^. I can't be sure that I'm right since it isn't shown clearly, but I think it is something similar to what we call 「飯糰」 (fantuan, literally "rice dumpling") in Chinese, basically just a ball of rice with stuffing inside it. It's actually sold at a few railway stations in Hong Kong, available with meat and vegetarian stuffings, but judging by Taiga's reaction, it's not an "ekiben" which can be bought at a Japanese railway station. Anyhow, I'm not overly fond of this stuff; it tastes a bit bland, really (or at least the Hong Kong MTR version does).

P.S. I agree with Raiga: you don't need to use spoiler tags since we can assume that everyone posting in this thread has watched (or should have watched) episode 24.
Yukinokesshou is offline  
Old 2009-03-24, 20:56   Link #551
fish eric
like to talk to fish?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
its onigiri

fish eric is offline  
Old 2009-03-24, 22:05   Link #552
FireSong
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I usually read without posting much, but saw the interesting point about when Ami falls for Takasu.

For me, I think it's also because Takasu was the real first one to stand up to her and yet be there when she fell... I some of the feelings started during the cleaning/stalker incident. First when Takasu stood up to her and told her it's okay to shed her mask, then she seeing that she "lost" to Taiga and chased the stalker herself and bashed his camera. When she was quite overcome with fear (of the unknown repercussions of her act along with the actual process of confronting a stalker) and broke down, it was Takasu who was there for her and steadfast.

Since then, I have had the feeling her flirtations with him were more than the surface flirtations - it was to tease and open him to see if he might bite. Of course we know he never took the hints. To me, Ami herself did drop many hints where she pretty much said she liked him and wished he'd like her: "...give me another chance...." and a few others.

I actually expected her to hit Ryuuji when she forced him to confess he liked Taiga and to phrase it as such. It was a full closure to that chapter in her life, and she being a strong character who's very mature for her age - due to her job and the resultant company she is around - she just took it like anything else. Also, we all know Ami is extremely adept at masking her feelings; she's a master at doing that and has been displaying that all throughout the show.
FireSong is offline  
Old 2009-03-24, 23:06   Link #553
fish eric
like to talk to fish?
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Ami is definately a 3 dimensional character, hell maybe in 4.


during episode 15 all the girl tell Ami "oh you are so mature" even sensei does. Then leaving the grocery store he gives Ami the pork and tells her "you are a child"

The end of this episode is Ami calling her mother ( they don't say explicitly but who else could it be? ) and telling her that she is not moving home because she has made good friends. And that she is eating healthy.

in episode 23 during the shoe hostage conversation between Ami and Ryuji she brings this up. But she doesn't tell Ryuji that he was the biggest reason she didn't leave. That is also the Festival episode and ami has also been making friends with everyone in class including Taiga.

But because Ryuji gives her the meat ( ooouuu dont you just love the sound of that? ) and the very next scene is her calling her oka san makes me believe he was the cause.


anyone else care to offer up a different view?
fish eric is offline  
Old 2009-03-25, 01:27   Link #554
Nenkitsune
Ive been MikuCaramellized
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
im not sure what the point is, but Minorin confessed her love for Ryuji after knowing that those two loved eachother. *shrug*



I wonder why when Minori asked Ryuji if he loved Taiga and he says "yes" without much thought or adieu.

When Ami asked he got all nervous and says "why are you asking me that?"



I've been rewatching the series so that I will hopefully finish episode 24 again on wedensday in time to watch the finale. I said this once before, but it bears repeating. In the novel I don't think Ami ever really loved (romantically) Ryuji, but in the anime I think there was a time when she had a crush on him.

There was the time when she told him something like minorin is your sun, but if you stare at it too much itll blind you, im not your sun im your equal. im a better match for you than her.
maybe because Minori is Taiga's absolute best friend. and she would KILL Ryuuji if he ever said it halfhearted. Ami, on the other hand, gave him that weird look, and it also seemed a little out of character to be asking something like that the way she did.
__________________

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline  
Old 2009-03-25, 01:56   Link #555
Janifuu
緩和
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
Spoiler for :
Well, Taiga probably thought that by her and Ryuuji getting married, it would make Yasuko think that they wish to create their own family and exclude Yasuko. That or Ryuuji and Taiga getting married would make Yasuko so happy, she would cry

And yea, the food Ryuuji gave was Onigiri.
Janifuu is offline  
Old 2009-03-25, 06:09   Link #556
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish eric View Post
Ami is definately a 3 dimensional character, hell maybe in 4.


during episode 15 all the girl tell Ami "oh you are so mature" even sensei does. Then leaving the grocery store he gives Ami the pork and tells her "you are a child"

The end of this episode is Ami calling her mother ( they don't say explicitly but who else could it be? ) and telling her that she is not moving home because she has made good friends. And that she is eating healthy.

in episode 23 during the shoe hostage conversation between Ami and Ryuji she brings this up. But she doesn't tell Ryuji that he was the biggest reason she didn't leave. That is also the Festival episode and ami has also been making friends with everyone in class including Taiga.

But because Ryuji gives her the meat ( ooouuu dont you just love the sound of that? ) and the very next scene is her calling her oka san makes me believe he was the cause.


anyone else care to offer up a different view?
It's not only because of Ryuuji that she stayed around. She's also gotten closer to Taiga despite their bickering, and that was also among the reasons why she no longer actively chased after Ryuuji: she saw how Taiga truly felt regarding Ryuuji. I would say that he's among the biggest reasons why she didn't leave, though.
physics223 is offline  
Old 2009-03-25, 08:15   Link #557
typhonsentra
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: USA
In the books yeah, but in the show we saw the exact point she made the decision to stay while talking to her mom (Episode 14). They changed Ami around a lot from the books apparently. She even says it herself that she'd be pleased with just him around, she definitely cares about Taiga but she still prioritizes herself first, it's just that it can't happen.
typhonsentra is offline  
Old 2009-03-25, 10:32   Link #558
CaptGloval
New Macross soon
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Macross 30 Emigration Fleet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janifuu View Post
Spoiler:
I was thinking about why "wife" was used. I think it fits Taiga's reaction when Ryuuji said that. Also, it could drive the point in drawing a parallel with Yacchan's own elopement years ago: Yacchan the daughter ran away when she got hitched, while here comes Ryuuji the grandson "returning" with a "wife."

Also, the request would be more than temporary lodging. Let's see ep 25 to find out.
CaptGloval is offline  
Old 2009-03-25, 16:15   Link #559
Ultenth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Washington State
This episode failed miseribly to me and totally jumped the shark. All sorts of people acted completely out of character, and the thing with his mom was so retarded and out of character that I just couldn't take it seriously for even a split second. Really cool series up to this point, but this episode failed for me on just about every single level. Is this an anime only episode or something? Because it seems like someone else wrote it, and that someone never watched any of the other episodes.
Ultenth is offline  
Old 2009-03-25, 16:22   Link #560
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 25
Forgive me, but "out-of-character" seems to be used these days to make people's complaints look more acceptable and "professional". It's become some sort of code for "the characters acted in a way I didn't like, so I'm going to complain".

For what it's worth, I think they acted perfectly in character, but I'm biased since I've known what was coming for a while.

No offense meant at you, by the way, if you take it. I've just seen "out-of-character" thrown around a lot lately.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.