AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2009-11-27, 00:45   Link #81
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

Mmmm been about 4 months since I last played, might be time to renew again. Wouldn't mind joining a corp to talk to people and do stuff with, but I'd be way too irregular and too far behind (never mind I haven't trained up industrial skills).
Old 2009-11-27, 01:12   Link #82
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

Irregularity might be a problem, but some corps takes IRL first. And being too far behind, eh. Most of the veterans in my corp are 5+ years chars and I will never catch up. Doesn't stop me from doing almost the same thing. Getting into a Retriever doesn't take long for one. Nor does getting into L4s, maybe a month each from scratch.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-27, 01:30   Link #83
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

I think I might have started looking into getting a retriever at one stage allready. I remember plugging into EVE-HQ and it spat out something like 20 days, so I guess I could do that. I'd happily mine away, if there was someone to talk with and stuff.
Old 2009-11-27, 01:40   Link #84
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

Our corp has a lot of mining ops, with the leader pilots having Orcas and full boosting skills + you get 10% of the total sum on the official ones. They occasionally go out on smaller ops too whenever they get the chance. The corp can also buy the minerals from you, a few percent above market price. We are primarily for the players, not vice-versa.

Although with our partial move to 0.0, most of our mining goes to cap ship production, so profits have declined a little. The whole plan isn't done yet though.

God damn, I need a Hulk... 20 days to go on my main, 40+ on my alt...

Old 2009-11-27, 02:11   Link #85
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

Mm I like the idea of doing stuff in a big group, it's quite appealing.

When I'm home, I'll fire it up again and see what I can do.
Old 2009-11-27, 03:44   Link #86
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

How does mining in a corp work anyway? On my own I just mine veldspar fields and sell everything to the highest bidder, trying to amass enough money to hoard the trade.
Old 2009-11-27, 06:52   Link #87
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

It depends from corp to corp, but during my time in this particular one it works like this:

-Solo or in small group: You mine whatever, how you want. You then either sell the refined minerals (not the ore) to the corp for above market price (by the corp's pricelist) or you just sell directly to market. Your choice. You can also contract the ore to a certain person who has perfect refining skills. He then refines it for you and contracts the minerals back.

-Large groups AKA Official Mining Ops: Usually we have an Orca with bonuses and a hauler. Depends, something we even have two Orcas. Everyone mines for as long as they are able to. The time people are there is noted down for later reference. You mine into cans that the Orcas haul in and take care of.

After the mining op is done (all ore mined is taken care of by corp) you get an amount split on the number of pilots and how long you were there. The profit is calculated by mineral market prices.

That's one way of doing it, which in this case focus on the player, not the corp.

Old 2009-11-27, 23:15   Link #88
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
does anyone have that graph about the diffrences of complication where EVE is ALL OVER THE PLACE
Old 2009-11-28, 04:17   Link #89
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

^ You mean this?
Spoiler for pic:

EDIT: On another note, the Dominion schedule is up. Tuesday 02:00 to approx 21:00 will EVE be down. However, from experience, set a 4+ day long skill and don't try to play seriously for a few days after deployment. Lots of weird and maybe dangerous stuff goes on in the aftermath of patchdeployment...

Let's just hope there won't be another boot.ini...

Old 2009-11-28, 11:54   Link #90
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

yea XD thats it, that got me interested in the MMORPG.
Old 2009-11-28, 12:19   Link #91
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Well, there we go. Activated my account again and back to mining in 1.0 sec while leveling skills like the cowardly little carebear that I am.

Until I'm skilled and rich enough, that is...
You can PVP in a noob 350k skill points char and a 400k isk worth frigate fyi. Whichever way you go when you begin PVPing you will die horribly a lot--it's best to do it in cheap disposable ships instead of rolling your faction fit navy battleship to your first gatecamp and get laughed at in C&P.

PS: Also, if the only experience in PVP you have is Eve Uni-like blobbing, then get out there and go solo or something 'cause that frankly sucks as an experience. Sure, it's nice to know how to obey your FC but getting a 40 man blob into lowsec is not what happens in the real game, and anywhere in 0.0 it's very easy to die in that sort of gang unless you really know what you're doing.

I say this as an ex Eve Uni who resents that sort of PVP.

Quote:
EDIT: On another note, the Dominion schedule is up. Tuesday 02:00 to approx 21:00 will EVE be down. However, from experience, set a 4+ day long skill and don't try to play seriously for a few days after deployment. Lots of weird and maybe dangerous stuff goes on in the aftermath of patchdeployment...
Medium Projectiles 5 \o/

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 12:24   Link #92
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Irregularity might be a problem, but some corps takes IRL first. And being too far behind, eh. Most of the veterans in my corp are 5+ years chars and I will never catch up. Doesn't stop me from doing almost the same thing. Getting into a Retriever doesn't take long for one. Nor does getting into L4s, maybe a month each from scratch.
That's the thing with the Eve skill system though, playing for 5 years does give you a huge advantage, but unless we're talking about capital ships, that advantage is really only in the amount of different things you can do, not in how well you can do it. It takes, what, half a year to train for a perfect Hulk or whatever, and after you're done with that you can't get any better. A player that has played for 5 years will be just as good at it as one that has just played for 6 months and only focused on that ship.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 16:35   Link #93
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
PS: Also, if the only experience in PVP you have is Eve Uni-like blobbing, then get out there and go solo or something 'cause that frankly sucks as an experience. Sure, it's nice to know how to obey your FC but getting a 40 man blob into lowsec is not what happens in the real game, and anywhere in 0.0 it's very easy to die in that sort of gang unless you really know what you're doing.

I say this as an ex Eve Uni who resents that sort of PVP.
I know what you mean. The blobs we do are about 8+, but it's still a blob. We had some of the better PvP experience yesterday when myself and 2 others were in low-sec for some PvE. Now, we didn't engage the the pirates, but it takes a lot of tactics to slip away when they hunt actively. We spent the rest of the night looking menacing at the gate... in PvE ships. Hilarious.

tl;dr: Much easier to get experience the fewer members a fleet has, as you say.

Quote:
Medium Projectiles 5 \o/
Astrogeology 5 myself... or Mining Barge 5. Or BS Gallente 5. Blergh, too many too choose from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
That's the thing with the Eve skill system though, playing for 5 years does give you a huge advantage, but unless we're talking about capital ships, that advantage is really only in the amount of different things you can do, not in how well you can do it. It takes, what, half a year to train for a perfect Hulk or whatever, and after you're done with that you can't get any better. A player that has played for 5 years will be just as good at it as one that has just played for 6 months and only focused on that ship.
And it's why I love this game.

Old 2009-11-28, 17:55   Link #94
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Just did a quick calculation on how long it'd take me to learn the skills to pilot a Carrier. Won't be until April 2010 at the very least.

Well, I'll save that dream until I'm a bit more experienced in PvP. For now, it's leveling for a Hulk, which should take around 26, days before returning to my Myrmidon skills. I can already fly a Myrmidon, but maxing out the skills for optimal damage (Drone Interface V, Combat Drone V, Scout Drone V and Advanced Drone Interface V) is going to take a few months. Advanced Drone Interface V especially is a killer, with it's 42 days training time.

I might not do all that in one go.
Old 2009-11-28, 18:15   Link #95
Ending

Been playing Eve for a while now and man am I starting to hate people for it. For everything there is to gain there are always scumbags willing to scam, cheat, or oppress for it. And they come in groups.

E.g: blowing up newbie ships to gain bounty. Courier contracts with impossible destination and high collateral. Dedicated can flippers (seriously: they would earn more by mining their own stuff than by staring the scanners). And, of course, baiters.

There was even an asshole who decided it would be fun to blow up a group of defenceless miners, including their pods, with smartbombs just for the kicks. I mean: WTF is that? Ye, I know; "PvP happened", but there is a fine line between being a berk and a respectable pilot.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 18:19   Link #96
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending View Post
Been playing Eve for a while now and man am I starting to hate people for it. For everything there is to gain there are always scumbags willing to scam, cheat, or oppress for it. And they come in groups.

E.g: blowing up newbie ships to gain bounty. Courier contracts with impossible destination and high collateral. Dedicated can flippers (seriously: they would earn more by mining their own stuff than by staring the scanners). And, of course, baiters.

There was even an asshole who decided it would be fun to blow up a group of defenceless miners, including their pods, with smartbombs just for the kicks. I mean: WTF is that? Ye, I know; "PvP happened", but there is a fine line between being a berk and a respectable pilot.

they need a Police system, where if someone/s attack lower level player ships or a group gangs up on one person. a Super powerful ship comes and owns there asses and gives you a full heal +Super health boost for a while or something

because this could be the only reason I stay away from this game.
Old 2009-11-28, 18:21   Link #97
Ending

Nah, I'm not saying Eve should be like WoW, but damn some people are rotten in their core.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-28, 18:24   Link #98
NorthernFallout
Return
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Well, I'll save that dream until I'm a bit more experienced in PvP. For now, it's leveling for a Hulk, which should take around 26, days before returning to my Myrmidon skills. I can already fly a Myrmidon, but maxing out the skills for optimal damage (Drone Interface V, Combat Drone V, Scout Drone V and Advanced Drone Interface V) is going to take a few months. Advanced Drone Interface V especially is a killer, with it's 42 days training time.
You don't need the Advanced Drone Interfacing unless you have a carrier. Even then you might not need it. All it does is giving you access to the Drone Control Unit, which you can't fit to anything else but a carrier. Leave that far into the future is my advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending View Post

Yet, without these douchebags, EVE wouldn't be as living IMO. They spawn guys that are their opposites, mercenaries and peace-keepers.

On that note, myself and a few corpmates are camping gates atm, disturbing the pirates here that are trying to catch people. No shot fired yet, but they must be helluva annoyed right now.

Old 2009-11-28, 18:33   Link #99
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

when I play and I reach max level and have bad ass gear, I'm gonna be a Player Peace Keeper, I'll literaly travel in random directions looking for douche bags whoa re picking on lower levels.
Old 2009-11-28, 19:42   Link #100
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
they need a Police system, where if someone/s attack lower level player ships or a group gangs up on one person. a Super powerful ship comes and owns there asses and gives you a full heal +Super health boost for a while or something

because this could be the only reason I stay away from this game.
They have a police unit, however it doesn't patrol everywhere. That's where the security levels come in. 1.0 is high security, and CONCORD (said security) leaps in immediately if ships start shooting. The lower the security gets, though, the less CONCORD will be present. In 0.0 space, it's completely lawless, AKA 'everything goes.'

It's here that the majority of the PvP (and thus, the ganking) takes place. However, you knew the risks when you went there, so at least part of the blame lies with you for daring to take the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
when I play and I reach max level and have bad ass gear, I'm gonna be a Player Peace Keeper, I'll literaly travel in random directions looking for douche bags whoa re picking on lower levels.
Ahh, sorry to shoot down that idea, but EVE doesn't work with traditional levels. Instead, EVE uses passive skill learning. For example, you select to learn 'medium turrets' and the skill starts training in the background (even when logged off). Each skill has 5 level, and each level takes more time. Now, there are literally dozens of skills in EVE, some you need, some you won't, so 'getting to max level' is a term you can't really use in this game.

Same with gear, while there certainly is 'better' gear, it matters a lot less than it does in other MMO's.

Finally -and this is the biggest roadblock that prevents most players from starting to play- is that once destroyed, a ship is gone. Kaput. You'll need to buy a new ship and it's parts. Now, this doesn't cost as much as it sounds, especially with insurance (though bigger ships are, of course, more expensive) but it still adds a whole new level of risk. There is no such thing in EVE as "Dammit, I died. Oh well, the spirit healer will rez me for free in 9 seconds anyway."

On the plus side, this risk goes for the griefers as well. Become a good player, and your name will literally be feared by pirates throughout the galaxy. >:3