AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2009-09-16, 15:35   Link #261
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by klare View Post
Spoiler for eps 11:
Spoiler for Episode 11:

On a side note, I'm hoping that episode 12 actually aired today. Otherwise, my waiting to be able to watch the episode will have been a complete waste of time.

Edit: It looks like 12 did air. Maybe I'll have comments on it later.

Last edited by Tatiana Razajev; 2009-09-16 at 18:12.
Tatiana Razajev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 22:48   Link #262
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Spoiler for Episode 12:

My thought may change after re-watching episode 11 and 12, but my current thoughts on the series is this. For the most part it was a decent series. However I can't help but thinking that a bit more could have happened in the story.
Old 2009-09-16, 23:04   Link #263
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Spoiler for ep12 and final thoughts:

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 23:22   Link #264
Manji Midou
Aimo ~ Tori no Hito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Razajev View Post
Spoiler for Episode 12:
l wanted them to get together as well...but alas my yuri censor was very off on this one.....a shame...since they look good together.
Old 2009-09-17, 00:31   Link #265
Sol Falling

Commenting on episode 11 after you guys have already seen episode 12...but I thought it was good. First, the initial bit of the kame battle scene really was a blatant homage/ripoff of Dragonball, that was pretty hilarious. I liked the revelation of who/what Sedna actually was, though, and it really fits in with the feeling all season long that Matsumoto has just been giving blind and one-sided advice and hasn't really understood anything. If Sedna is the sorrow that people have thrown away, then, well, iunno. Give it back or something. As the Shrine Maiden said, let light and darkness intertwine; sorrow is a part of living just as happiness is. I dunno how they're going to resolve the jealous feelings between Kanon and Urin (if indeed they plan to), but overall this development is much preferred than a black and white scenario of sacrifice to defeat the 'evil' darkness.
Stardust Crusaders 100/5 :: Mushishi S2 100/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 20/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 15/5 :: Gochiusa 28/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 20/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Great shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 01:33   Link #266
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Episode 11 subs are out.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 21:22   Link #267
Guido

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep12 and final thoughts:
The anime ended, and I'm still four episodes behind to conclude it, but it's ok with me.

I'm in no real hurry to finish it all up in one go.

Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 17:12   Link #268
chaos_animagic

Random talk hits:

Hmmm... just noticed... watching this series makes me think twice about eating sea food...

especially when all those sea animals turn into human form...

when I eat fish, I makes me think I am eating a loli or something.... >_<

Also... this anime makes me take notice of the darkness that's in everyone's heart... since Setuna's darkness doesn't really turn them evil, but just brings out the darkness that's in their heart in the first place. (the more darkness in their heart, the easier they become evil, and the eviler they become)
Kinda like the current Bleach anime arc... where the Masamura guy brings out Zanpaktos' instinct to fight and gain freedom from their owners.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-18, 18:12   Link #269
qwerty_
Knowledge Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
Random talk hits:

Hmmm... just noticed... watching this series makes me think twice about eating sea food...

especially when all those sea animals turn into human form...

when I eat fish, I makes me think I am eating a loli or something.... >_<

Also... this anime makes me take notice of the darkness that's in everyone's heart... since Setuna's darkness doesn't really turn them evil, but just brings out the darkness that's in their heart in the first place. (the more darkness in their heart, the easier they become evil, and the eviler they become)
Kinda like the current Bleach anime arc... where the Masamura guy brings out Zanpaktos' instinct to fight and gain freedom from their owners.
No. More easily influenced are the purest people, with no darkness in heart - like Kanon's friend.

It's Sedna the name of the 'villain'.

And wow for your thoughts about eating sea food.
Old 2009-09-19, 03:38   Link #270
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer

3 illustrations from the first dvd (including chibi characters) + 1 magazine scan.

Episode 11 was very good. This series can really pull out good moments, managing to be deep without being excessively trite. Really liked the final part about what the true darkness is, with Kanon and Marin slowly "feeling", then realizing it.

Please remember that episode 12 hasn't been subbed, hence keep comments on it, and final series' thoughts too, well covered by spoiler tags.
Old 2009-09-19, 07:25   Link #271
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well I have to say catching up on the last 7 episodes in a row has been pretty good . No cliffhangers. 11 was pretty fun with the old turtle going into a battle with his daughter. Apparently he's the type of parent that feels physical punishment works . But I swear these episodes have made it clear that turtle takes a pretty extreme view. "Oh Urin has gone bad, let's kill her!" Damn the last battles against Sedna must have been brutal if they took that kind of approach to all her underlings.

Obviously Urin got influenced a long time ago but from the start I expected this kind of thing would happen. Not having her own powers and the extreme friendliness of her sister was bound to cause something to happen. Marin just jumps around to extremes like when she went all out to get that ring at the start or when she tried to save Urin without her powers.

Clearly someone has to tell the islanders to change their habits of dealing with their troubles. Ironic how they wanted to have the ocean cleanse them in a way and it resulted in their feelings all coming together deep in the sea into the form of Sedna.

Got to love the optimism though. Maybe they purified Urin and Sedna when they released that purifying light on the surface. Or maybe not . Still think the end of 11 would have been one way to end the series. Just put after the ED "Bad End"
Old 2009-09-19, 15:36   Link #272
Guido

Three episodes away to finish the series.

Spoiler for Episode 9:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-24, 23:22   Link #273
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Subs of the final episode have been out a while.
Old 2009-09-25, 01:22   Link #274
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep12:
Old 2009-09-25, 03:41   Link #275
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Spoiler for Ep12:
Took the words right out of my mouth. Since Marin habitually spouts off love this and love that at any given moment I guess it's not surprising it ended with a Power of Love finisher. Well a somewhat different Power of Love end at least.

It was a good ending. Nothing spectacular but nor bad either. The ending I started to expect halfway through but at least it was handled with care and emotion and not just cobbled together. I guess my only real complaint is that the rule keeping them apart felt really flimsy and superficial. Rather convenient that Ye Old Turtle decided to only mention it now and even goes so far as to suggest it may not be followed eventually in the future.

Overall a good ending to a good series. It had its ups and downs along the way, but in the end I didn't regret watching it.
Old 2009-09-25, 07:20   Link #276
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Even when Marin says "I love you" like a bajillion times, it still made a lot of impact in the final episod. Shows how great the direction was, even for a show with ZERO expectations like this one.

I didn't expect to get teary eyed like 4 or 5 times watching that one.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 09:28   Link #277
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Even when Marin says "I love you" like a bajillion times, it still made a lot of impact in the final episod. Shows how great the direction was, even for a show with ZERO expectations like this one.
I truly agree with this statement. There was just so much meaning each time she said that in the last episode. The return of Urin though was such a strong emotional scene. It felt as if i was actually apart of the drama, especially how well i've grew attached to these characters since the start of the series.

I can't get enough praise for this show, i just love it that much.

Also i must say how fitting the OP was for the last episode. I wasn't expecting a change like that at all, though it set the perfect mood for the current situation of the story nicely. I loved it.
Old 2009-09-25, 15:53   Link #278
Sai Feng
Yo-poko! O_O

Spoiler for Thoughts:
Sai Feng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 21:12   Link #279
Falkor

;_;

wahhhhh! it's over... I feel so sad, truly sad to see this show end. umi no monogatari was one of the 2-3 (?) shows I was religiously following for the summer season... and it was also one the most enjoyable, inspiring and fulfilling ones...

I truly loved it from beginning to end, being the last half my favorite part, where all the drama and great character development took place. you could almost touch the characters, see their feelings of nostalgia and sadness, and experience with them all kind of sufferings---I think that's how honest and sincere the show was trying to be, especially when it came to the characters, who were just as sincere and honest, conveying anything they felt in the most sincere and honest of ways. Marin and Kanon truly shined in this aspect; they were the most honest and sincere of them all---for being themselves. it was kinda fun to see Marin's declaration/confessions of love to anyone and anything she saw, so to speak---but that just shows how sincere and honest were her thoughts and feelings (so much like Akari in ARIA, Ahiru in Princess Tutu and Sora in Kaleido Star---all of them characters from shows Junichi Sato has worked on). Marin's innocence was truly pure in this regard, and that added a lot of charm to her character. Kanon, on the other hand, was just as sincere and honest as Marin, but in a different way. she was a very complex character---sometimes hard to understand---but her hesitation, her insecurity, her embarrassment, her inner conflict, her evil aura and her own way of doing things (and caring for others) were very sincere and honest, and made her a character one could come to like and truly sympathize with. she was also the most enjoyable and funny one---all credit goes to her for putting a really big smile on my face in the last episode. I thought the characters were great and, together with the music, was where umi no monogatari shined the most.

the music was great too, and I thought it was also another aspect that made the show feel very unique. it worked especially well to set the mood of the story, to become part of the storytelling. I cannot imagine umi no monogatari without Muramatsu Ken's music---that's how much impact it had on the show. the pieces were relaxing and soothing, but they also made me feel nostalgic and sometimes sad. It was perfect for most of the scenes, to bring forth the character's emotions and feelings in a subtle and poignant way. can't remember a single track that I didn't like---all of them had something very special.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt teary-eyed with the last episode. I'm gonna miss umi no monogatari. Thank you Junichi Sato for another excellent work. hoping to see Amanchu! next. :P
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-25, 21:37   Link #280
Sol Falling

And...it's over. It was good. I let a few tears slip by too. This has been one of my favourite shows this season, satisfying in almost every way.

It seems to me a few scenes were designed to parallel the 'little mermaid' story (as conveyed in the ED, I don't actually really know it)? Urin's willingness to dissolve into bubbles of light for the sake of Marin, that was an interesting juxtoposition of roles. Although the final, true separation was with Kanon, which adds another small layer to the idea of the separation of the sky and the sea.

The ending with Kojima was cute, although Kanon's last and final line was almost too abrupt. 'I won't forget the events of that summer', it really does emphasize the immediate tragic feelings of their separation, but at the same time it also reveals a separate somewhat distant perspective: for a short time, the barrier between sea and sky was breached and Kanon was able to discover friendship and a new world, but at the end of it, life returns to normal and it simply becomes the memory of a single summer. I feel like I really kinda wish it was more than that. I'm a little sad this anime's over.
Stardust Crusaders 100/5 :: Mushishi S2 100/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 20/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 15/5 :: Gochiusa 28/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 20/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Great shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, magic