AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad ~After Story~ - Extra Episode (Last year incident) Discussion / Poll
Perfect 10 54 40.60%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 30.83%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 15.04%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 9.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 3.01%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.75%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-20, 10:19   Link #81
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Oh the irony. Tomoya and Nagisa's initial meeting is him bumping into her, she ends up apologizing, and him being a bit of an ass about it. Nice way to meet the future love of your life thar.

Telephone croissants are awesome. Akio is also the only person who can talk/act like a girl and still be Ultra Gar. It's unbelievable. Also, his statement of Nagisa finding someone who will "click" with her is almost prophetic.

Finally, some backstory on what exactly Kyou saw in Tomoya, and Ryou too. More than that, Fujibayashi twins fanservice = win, except maybe for the part of playing "Nagisa" while the two of them were bathing...

And then, being party to the plot to get the future love of your life into the infirmary with a concussion doesn't give you any more points. This even begs the question if Tomoya and Nagisa even KNOW that they're both involved.

----------------

Of course, for me, the highlights of this episode is how it capitalizes just how different these two individuals were before they met. Tomoya's passive observing negligence and "coming along for the ride" attitude embodies just how detached he is emotionally from almost anything. Nagisa's continued social ineptness despite people's attempts to befriend her is completely endearing and yet also unbelievably sad.

Call me strange, but my favorite part was where Nagisa read the banner at the end, not knowing who it was, but taking those words to heart. Even then, you could tell that Tomoya somehow believed in what he wanted to tell whoever would end up being smacked upside the head.

Consider it a twist of fate, a foreshadowing or a guarantee. Even though neither knew who wrote it or who got hit, they took it both to heart. For me, this was their FIRST TRUE meeting.
Old 2009-03-20, 10:27   Link #82
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Call me strange, but my favorite part was where Nagisa read the banner at the end, not knowing who it was, but taking those words to heart. Even then, you could tell that Tomoya somehow believed in what he wanted to tell whoever would end up being smacked upside the head.

Consider it a twist of fate, a foreshadowing or a guarantee. Even though neither knew who wrote it or who got hit, they took it both to heart. For me, this was their FIRST TRUE meeting.
It's not strange at all. It's touching, his words (thought on a whim) has given Nagisa a gentle push in the back, without both parties here realizing.
That's really sweet

Edit:
This episode surpasses the short stories version in one thing though.
We get to see the twintailed classmates observing Nagisa the whole time, before she actually asked her to be friends.

Last edited by velvet; 2009-03-20 at 10:47.
Old 2009-03-20, 11:00   Link #83
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice_slayer View Post
Best part of the episode- Akio! My God was he funny this episode, I miss these type of episodes .
He has quite a large mouth, doesn't he?
Old 2009-03-20, 11:11   Link #84
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Spoiler for spoiler:

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2009-03-20, 11:45   Link #85
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Now where do I start?

It would be unrealistic to expect this to be as intensive as the climatic final episodes, as this is after all, an extra story, to wind down the mood. But it's a good relaxing prequel to watch.

Who would've thought it was none other than Tomoya that indirectly helped Nagisa made friends in her original third year? Sure it sounds far-fetched, but this is an example of artistic license on "destiny" executed well, so I'm not complaining.

Also quite surprised to see some Kyou scenes which are just golden. She's just too cute when being led around by Sunohara's fake love letters.

Amongst the first years then, I saw Nishina, Sugisaka and Yukine (who has yet to make the Data Room her personal domain), Tomoyo is obviously absent as she won't transfer till the following year.

BTW, just how many of Sanae's bread can Akio hold in his mouth? LOL

Overall Clannad and Clannad AS has been a very entertaining series, granted it could have been better, but rather than focus on the flaws like some people like to do here, I'm going to look at the bigger picture and say Kyoto-Animation has done a fine adaptation, especially when it comes to portraying the realities and toughness of life after school, where I find it thought provoking, so they must have done something right after all.

PS: Can those who already know Little Busters inside out please not discuss about the speculation of it getting animated here? Not everyone's played the game. (I only just started recently, in fact. ) IIRC, there's a thread in the Games section.

It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2009-03-20 at 12:00.
Old 2009-03-20, 13:06   Link #86
Justin Kim
*Artist

Just a question what exactly is the next episode about? The preview said well just..."preview," and then complimation after a montage of scenes from other episodes. Is the next episode just going to summarize the After Story? I really hope they don't -_-.
Old 2009-03-20, 13:15   Link #87
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Personally I forgot what happened in episodes 8-10 so it will come in handy.

[/straight-face]
Old 2009-03-20, 13:19   Link #88
Rice_slayer
Resident Car Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Kim View Post
Just a question what exactly is the next episode about? The preview said well just..."preview," and then complimation after a montage of scenes from other episodes. Is the next episode just going to summarize the After Story? I really hope they don't -_-.
It's basically just a summary episode. Im hoping they annouce their new anime after it ends!
Old 2009-03-20, 13:33   Link #89
cbatty
Such is liff

Well that was fun...

Tomoya's quote in the end that they had so much time... If only he realised how quickly that time would slip by...

I still wish KyoAni would do a Tomoya x Kyou OVA

I am not looking forward to next week. Nothing about the episode itself, just that it is the last one. Clannad has been a fun ride and it is a shame it is coming to an end.
Old 2009-03-20, 14:05   Link #90
Jimmy C

Did anyone spot Kotomi during the assembly scenes? I thought I saw a girl with a similar hairstlyle, but she wasn't a match.
Old 2009-03-20, 14:54   Link #91
Jiggy

Really, really great episode that brought together many of the things I ever liked about the series (humor, Sunohara, Akio, Kyou, Prankster Tomoya) and passed on all of the things I never really got into (serious romance drama, serious family drama, Good Guy Tomoya). Most notably, Sunohara and Akio reminded me over and over why they're my favorite Key male characters by a huge margin, with their offbeat inflections ("nice idea~" from Sunohara, and Akio's wonderful impersonations of high school girls) and their ability to constantly come across as idiots--and arguably even be idiots--yet also say brilliant and perceptive things. The fine line between genius and insanity rears its head in full.

Episodes 2-8 of After Story are still the entire series' high point for me, but this is pretty close, and I think I actually enjoyed it even more than Fuuko's arc or the basketball game.
Old 2009-03-20, 14:59   Link #92
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Did anyone spot Kotomi during the assembly scenes? I thought I saw a girl with a similar hairstlyle, but she wasn't a match.
I saw no sign of Kotomi at all this episode, but that's not so surprising all things considering.
Old 2009-03-20, 15:05   Link #93
Vegard Aune

While I can't say that this episode is anywhere near as good as the light-hearted episodes in season one, or the insanely emotional After Story-arc, it was still a fairly enjoyable episode. I especially liked the part when Akio stuffed an entire basket of bread into his mouth while still TRYING to shout "I love them!!!". All in all, I'd give it an 8/10.

...Also, I probably won't watch next week's episode, seeing how it seems like it'll be nothing but a recap... And I really don't want to see them try to compress a 46 episode show into 21 minutes.
Old 2009-03-20, 15:21   Link #94
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

Shouldn't see Kotomi at all (unless she'd in the library, but then Kyou would have met her). The two groups we see are the third years (Nagisa's group) at assembly, and the first years (which Sunohara is trying to prank). The only time we really see second year students are in Tomoya's class and Ryou.
Old 2009-03-20, 15:23   Link #95
Nosauz

Oh man when Tomoya and Sunohara first meet Kyou the damn song from episode 17 season 1 starts playing and I just want to scream at the screen "don't fall in love with this twat"
Old 2009-03-20, 15:28   Link #96
Sidestep
Bumpy jumpy~!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
I saw no sign of Kotomi at all this episode, but that's not so surprising all things considering.
You can see her from 00:15 - 00:18.
Old 2009-03-20, 15:35   Link #97
TODAY-G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
So surely you didn't pay attention to something after the ending song

At this time Kotomi should be in the library so that nobody would meet her.

And, a very funny first impression of them each. Who knows if someone just passes you would be your important one in the future?

Best wishes to the Okazaki family.
Old 2009-03-20, 15:39   Link #98
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidestep View Post
You can see her from 00:15 - 00:18.
Aha! I gladly admit my mistake. Wow, talk about a brief cameo. Good eyes, there.
Old 2009-03-20, 15:43   Link #99
Sidestep
Bumpy jumpy~!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLowrider View Post
Aha! I gladly admit my mistake. Wow, talk about a brief cameo. Good eyes, there.
I just happened to stumble upon her; she was hidden quite well.

Anyways, it's a shame Tomoya and Nagisa didn't recognize each other at the start from this incident. Also a shame that Tomoya has a difficult name.
Old 2009-03-20, 15:48   Link #100
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidestep View Post
Anyways, it's a shame Tomoya and Nagisa didn't recognize each other at the start from this incident.
Well it is rather well-documented that Tomoya's memory sucks. He not only forgot about Kotomi, but an entire chunk of his childhood with his father. A colander does a better job holding water than Tomoya does remembering stuff.
Closed Thread