AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-29, 01:42   Link #21
Thingle
Banned

Texhnolyze. Prioritize that title.
Old 2009-05-30, 17:49   Link #22
AceD
See You En' Tee

Dennou Coil classed as Cyberpunk?

Ghost in the Shell & Dennou Coil are the must watch ones if thats the case.
Old 2009-05-30, 18:04   Link #23
Sheba
Story of My Life

Cyber City Oedo 808 by Yoshiaki Kawajiri. Three episodes of Cyberpunk love and Madhouse goodness.

Criminals works for the police and have their sentence reduced by a small amount for each successful missions. Their behavior is kept in check with an explosive collar around their neck.

Original voice cast had Wakamoto Norio and (late) Kaneto Shiozawa.
Old 2009-05-31, 02:20   Link #24
blewin

I'm not sure whether Basquash is cyberpunk.. but it the setting does give off that feel. You might want to just check it out and see.

Chrome Shelled Regios
Old 2009-06-01, 02:39   Link #25
vorpal83

I know it sounds strange, but Gunslinger Girl is actually pretty close to what you're looking for. Almost full cyborgs, immoral govt that uses lil girls against immoral terrorists.
Old 2009-06-02, 13:45   Link #26
Sheba
Story of My Life

Walking down the memory lane, I shall add AD Police to my recommendations. Same universe as Bubblegum Crisis. But grittier.
Old 2009-06-02, 23:18   Link #27
DRAGUN H.E.X.
miniskirt pirate Iori Sei

Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
i don't know if Neon Genesis Evangelion fits here as it does have a city being leadershiped by the super computer MAGI & aswell people's souls trapped inside some sort of giant biomechanical robots.
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2009-06-07, 05:20   Link #28
Sheba
Story of My Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine_cute View Post
Maybe:
Soltyrei
Gundam
Legend of glass fleet
LaMB
Eureka 7
Transformers.....
Those are more Space Opera or mech, as far as I remember the common appeal of the cyberpunk genre is:
1. A dystopian state where the individual rights are constantly challenged by the corporate interests/religion/political doctrines. The hegemony of the ruling group is maintained by its technological advances, allowing it to keep the crowd under control.
2. Conflicts due to the rise of the meta-humans (cyborgs, androids or even genetically engineered meta-humans), AIs, technology and how it is slowly cannibalizing the flesh. Moreover, cybernetization and more recently, genetical engineering, allows the ruling group to make these meta-humans part of the "machine" (the State)
3. The "Cyberpunks" are small groups of individual who are aware of the mass manipulation, they either works for them or against them. However, they always tries to keep their own liberty.

The technology in the cyberpunk will always be seen as a curse (it makes you accomplice of the system and less human) and a blessing (you are faster, stronger, better). This is the opposite of mecha and space opera genres where technology is usually seen under a positive light.

Last edited by Sheba; 2009-06-07 at 12:58.
Old 2009-06-07, 13:07   Link #29
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Ghost in the Shell is actually considered post-cyberpunk, since technology isn't looked at with as much askance as typical cyberpunk, and there's also the consideration that unlike traditional cyberpunk, in GitS, the pratagonists are working for The Man and fighting to maintain the status quo, instead of trying to overthrow the government. When you note that people by and by live quite comfortably in the GitS world and there's a large middle class, it doesn't really look much like a cyberpunk world.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2009-06-14, 23:00   Link #30
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
It's the first time I've heard about something called "post"-cyberpunk.

Yes, in GITS characters work for the establishment, but there are a lot of subtle (and not so subtle) clues about how actually rotten the establishment is. Blade Runner wasn't much different in that regard. Shadowrun, the cyberpunk roleplaying game, is pretty much that way, too.

Besides, if you take into account the numerous representations, throughout the GITS universe, of Kusanagi's innermost being as an caged bird, it works actually quite differently.

I could also go on and on on how there's always a high degree of empathy between Kusanagi and the "revolution villain" of the movie/series/manga of the day, but I guess it should be enough already.

Personally, I find GITS to be the cyberpunk franchise. It's influence is just undeniable.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2009-06-19, 04:59   Link #31
Kurai~

I suggest Trigun and Sunabouzu for Steampunk. Trigun and Sunabouzu (Desert Punk) both take place in a desert world where they rely on the advanced technology of those who came before them. In Trigun's case, Earthlings who left their devastated home planet to find a new one, and in Sunabouzu's case, a Japan generations after a war wiped out most of civilization.

As fpr Cyberpunk, I can't really offer any suggestions that haven't already been provided. Battle Angel Alita is the only one that comes to mind. Maybe Blue Submarine #6? That might actually fall into Steampunk category as well.
Closed Thread