AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad series - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 278 64.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 22.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 7.24%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 2.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.23%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.17%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-01-19, 20:21   Link #341
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh, wow. I have nothing more to say.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 02:17   Link #342
Ayumu Hayama

So, I'm just going to say plain straight out that Clannad is thus far the bestest anime compared to the other animes I've seen throughout my life. There is everything in there, drama, romance, comedy... You name it! I watched it non-stop for days until the very ending and through it all I've bursted into tears, laughed my head off, and smiled a lot. My sister watched it with me and we would just be glued to the computer, you couldn't get us off of it. Clannad was our addiction, period. I was even emotionally and physically sick after the end of it and I have to admit, it took me and my sister quite a while to understand the whole other world, the illusionary girl, the garbage doll shabang and how it connected with the world where everyone was at. We all pretty much connect to the fact that Tomoya's life was basically cursed from the very beginning, I mean losing your wife and then your only thing that you have left to hold on to?! That's sad. That's really terribly sad. So to sum it all up, I give Clannad a perfect 10, and hopefully I'll never forget this anime even when I grow up...
Ayumu Hayama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-09, 16:08   Link #343
Pinguma

It was an amazing show, one of my favourites. I most likely prefer the VN but that too is a favourite. Overall, it was brilliant, beautiful, funny, and it contains some of the saddest moments I have ever witnessed. I could complain about the way they did some routes, but I won't. It was simply too great an anime and I love it. 10/10.
Pinguma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-17, 10:33   Link #344
BigSky
Death & Rebirth

Clannad was the best anime in this gender to me. And also was the first anime that made me cry From de first Opening to the end of the serie was perfect 10/10
BigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-20, 13:17   Link #345
Seripha
Dango,Dango,Dango........

Send a message via AIM to Seripha Send a message via MSN to Seripha
Clannad is the only anime I have ever become this attached to emotionally. It's the only anime that has actually made me want to go out and buy as much merch as humanly possible just to feel like it never ended. I loved a lot of series in my day, but none of them could ever compare to how I love Clannad, I'd give this series a 10/10 anyday.
Seripha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-20, 13:18   Link #346
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

You guys are late to the party but better late then never, right?

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-20, 13:19   Link #347
Seripha

Haha, I've been into Clannad since last year but I never really came on any forums or anything...:P
Old 2010-02-20, 13:22   Link #348
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seripha View Post
Haha, I've been into Clannad since last year but I never really came on any forums or anything...:P
Ah I see. Even so, there are others that are just experiencing the greatness that is Clannad I myself was around near the ending of the series. It was such a great ride. I pride myself in being one of the biggest Clannad fans around

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-02-20, 13:42   Link #349
Seripha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I pride myself in being one of the biggest Clannad fans around
I agree with you there haha, but it sucks that most of my friends don't know what it is or dislike anime/subbed anime etc. ._.; Plus ever con I've gone to has pretty much NO Clannad merchandise...I did manage to snag an artbook and I saw a soundtrack CD...but it's so hard to find.

All in all though, out of the like 300+ anime I've seen, Clannad will always be my favorite I'm sure. haha.
Old 2010-02-20, 17:06   Link #350
Vegard Aune

Quote:
You guys are late to the party but better late then never, right?
Well, it's not like there's an expiring-date for anime, y'know...
Old 2010-02-20, 17:22   Link #351
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
I am glad it doesn't or I would have missed sooo many great series D:.
Old 2010-02-20, 17:50   Link #352
DeX-kun

Quote:
Of course not. But there are less people discussing this anime now then when it just finished airing Especially the popular controversial ending.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-02-20, 20:32   Link #353
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
O RLY.

I can name any sequence in Clannad or AS the exact episode and season.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 03:29   Link #354
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
O RLY.

Now now, we're all fellow fans, no need to one-up each other...
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 05:21   Link #355
Haak
F**k my life...

Quote:
He was just trying to make small talk but came off as slightly dickish in the process.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
O RLY.

You know, I'm pretty sure there's some otaku somehwere in the world living in his tiny room, and has pretty much every single merchandise of Clannad available, all home delivered so he doesn't have to see sunlight...
Old 2010-02-21, 05:22   Link #356
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

lol.

kay kay~

XD

And I do have a life, y'know.

I'm just good.

XD
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-21, 12:56   Link #357
Seripha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
You know, I'm pretty sure there's some otaku somehwere in the world living in his tiny room, and has pretty much every single merchandise of Clannad available, all home delivered so he doesn't have to see sunlight...
Is it sad that I wish I could be that person, albeit without the tiny room and no sunlight. :P
Old 2010-02-21, 14:45   Link #358
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seripha View Post
Is it sad that I wish I could be that person, albeit without the tiny room and no sunlight. :P
No, cause I think to myself how awesome said room would be thus it's not sad xD.
Old 2010-02-21, 16:48   Link #359
Seripha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
No, cause I think to myself how awesome said room would be thus it's not sad xD.
I always get jealous when I see people with huge anime collections and wish mine could be just like that x) haha.
Old 2010-02-21, 17:10   Link #360
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

I'm kind of late to the party, but I wanted to get my thoughts on the series down somewhere and get some reaction to them so here goes.

Background:
I started out with the VN as I had seen many people recommend it as one of their favorite VNs. I started out on Nagisa's route and became frustrated with her childish and naive character finally giving up and starting over hoping to end up on another route. I did Mei's story next and thought it was nice and then gave in and used a walkthrough. After Tomoyo's arc I was hooked staying up to all hours of the night to collect lights.

Once I had completed the school story I decided to watch the anime. I was skeptical at first because I knew Nagisa's path was going to be the eventual result of the show and she was one of my least favorite characters. Anyway, that's enough background here we go.

Characters: 8/10
Tomoya: The issue I have with Tomoya is that he let his inability to play basketball turn him into a loser for 2+ years. That said he's a very likable character and really shows kindness to everybody around him despite having a lot of baggage to deal with. Seeing him in 3rd person as an observer rather than playing him in 1st person helps in that I don't become frustrated at him doing stupid things I wouldn't want to do.

Nagisa: Like I said, I never really liked her. Her single-minded obsession with a childhood... what, TV show? really frustrated me to no end. Dango on everything she draws, dango for every gift. Doesn't she have any other interests or is she only capable of dango dango dango? Then she tries to start a theater club despite having never acted before or even seen a play. This combination of foolishness and naivete made me see her relationship with Tomoya more as a child to a parent rather than as a lover. Tomoya was there giving her support and keeping her on the right path with nothing in return. She didn't contribute anything to him other than childish generalities. There was no depth to her, she was always somebody who never grew up because of her sickness. Now eventually I came to like her a little but making me long for her by killing her is basically hitting me over the head with a sledgehammer which really doesn't make up for her character's weaknesses in my book.

Ushio: Tomoya really lucked out in regards to Ushio because she's probably the easiest to raise 5 year old in the history of 5 year olds. She always follows instructions on the first try, is extremely self-sufficient and never really whines or complains. I've been a camp counselor in the past and I've worked with 13-14 year olds who weren't as mature as Ushio. However, I think this may have been necessary to tell the story because if those episodes were all Tomoya struggling with Ushio to get anything done then they couldn't tell the story they wanted to tell.

Kyou: I loved Kyou's character. She's got a temper on her but she isn't constantly angrily violent like some characters out there. People call her a tsundere but I'm not sure that's fair because she lashes out in order to protect the things she cares about like Ryou or Botan. (she gets bonus points for Botan by the way, cutest thing ever) It's not like she is throwing dictionaries at Tomoya just to show she doesn't like him. I thought the gym storage room scene was priceless. Overall she was maybe my favorite character and I wish they had given her path more time. If I was writing the story I would have had Tomoya end up with Kyou instead of Nagisa. The scenes in the theater club room where Nagisa/Ryou/Kotomi are all chatting together and Kyou and Tomoya are sitting off to the side talking between themselves really sealed that for me. I saw much more give and take between the two of them and felt that they were more equals in their relationship rather than Tomoya feeling obligated to take care of Nagisa.

Kotomi: Here we go, another girl who starts out quite ignorant of how the world around her works. Unlike Nagisa she seems to succeed in coming out of her shell, making friends, and eventually growing up when she leaves to study in America. Now it's kind of hard to know how she turned out since she got almost no screen time in after story which is the second biggest crime in the series behind Kyou's route only getting one episode. I'm not really sure why I liked her so much more than Nagisa, maybe it was because she showed the desire and ability to grow up and become a new person whereas Nagisa never came out of her shell but I wish we saw more Kotomi.

Tomoyo: Not a lot to say about Tomoyo, she was just pure badass. She knows what she wants, goes and gets it, and doesn't let anybody stand in her way. This could also be seen as a drawback because her character doesn't get the opportunity to change much throughout the story.

Fuko: I hated Fuko and her stubborn nature in the VN. In the anime I was mostly indifferent on her as her cuteness seemed to make up for her being a pain in the butt. I just wish she didn't keep coming back since that ruined the whole emotional feel of episode 9 if she just comes back randomly to play a crane game or whatever.

Other Characters: Ryou really got the short end of the stick in the anime as she got almost completely cut out with Kyou's route being relegated to an extra episode and Kappei's path getting the Tom Bombadil treatment. Nothing much to say about the other characters other than I love MC Akio.

Story: 9.5/10

Season 1 starts out as you'd expect with the early part of the game introducing the characters. The first story they do was Fuko's which was one of my least favorite paths in the game. I found her stubbornness frustrating combined with the fact that I already didn't think much of Nagisa. The anime version didn't feel that way at all. I don't know if it was the fact that I'm no longer in first person having to deal with this girl but rather watching in amusement as Tomoya is pushed to the edge of insanity trying to deal with this girl and her starfish obsession but the adaptation really worked well for me. I didn't react much to her ending in the VN but the scene where she gives the starfish to her sister brought me to tears in the anime.

Next they cover Kotomi's route which I really liked in the VN and the anime version was no different. I think Kotomi is one of the more underrated characters in terms of comedic potential and we see it a lot in her story such as when Tomoya asks her to introduce herself and she responds by greeting Tomoya. The ending to her route I found magnificent and I was crying like crazy when she hugs the teddy bear and says "Father... Mother... Welcome home." I also for some reason always liked the quote "Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." It just represented something special she shared with Tomoya from long ago and that really moved me. Very good job with this section.

The next section seemed like they tried to throw a lot together with parts of Tomoyo, Kyou, and Nagisa's routes mashed into one. I thought it was pretty average except for the aforementioned gym supply room scene. Finally they wrap up with Nagisa's route and I didn't like it in the game and it wasn't a ton better in the anime. The ending scene where Akio shouts out to Nagisa on stage was well done but the arc as a whole was nothing spectacular to me.

Onward to season 2 where they throw in all the arcs they couldn't get to in season 1. I liked Mei's route in the game and I felt they did a good job of adapting it to the anime. I was curious how they were going to pull it off given that Mei already knew Sanae very well in the storyline from the anime but the result was we got to see schoolgirl Sanae which gives this part of the season bonus points in my book. I thought Misae's route was good not great, nothing much to say there. I thought they did a good job with Yukine's route and it was greatly improved from its VN version. We got an extra appearance from Tomoyo and a badass Tomoya scene with the fight in the river. Plus the ultimate rainbow bread scene was classic. I thought the part where Yukine pretends to be her brother made for a much more emotional climax to the story than the VN version. Overall top marks for that section

Then we get into the main storyline of the after story. I thought the section after Tomoya first starts working at the electric company kind of dragged. I didn't feel like they really got anywhere with that except for giving Tomoya an excuse to get mad at his father again. Which brings me to another thing that bothered me about this show. I never felt there was an adequate explanation of why Tomoya hated his father so much. All the scenes we see in the first season with his father never seem to show him as a particularly bad person. He seemed kind of lazy and maybe had a drinking problem but nothing worth the level of hatred Tomoya seemed to show. They reference a fight shortly before Tomoya entered high school but they never explain what the fight was about or exactly how it resulted in Tomoya's injury. But I guess if not being able to play basketball was enough to make Tomoya stop bothering to show up for class on time or pay attention then it would be enough to make him hate his father more than he deserved.

Then we find out that Nagisa is pregnant. This was another thing that bothered me because we never got to see Tomoya and Nagisa kiss. They never do more on screen than hold hands or hug and it seems like the only hug when somebody is having a good cry. Then they drop this on us which wouldn't bother me so much if Nagisa hadn't directly come out and said "we're having sex!" I mean if you're going to skirt the issue on romantic stuff and avoid showing those things then fine, but to never show them kiss and have them sleeping 6-8 feet away from each other then just drop the line "we're having sex!" on us seems contradictory to me. If they were going to play it like that then just let everybody assume they're having sex because that's where babies come from. At least then you don't have that jarring line in the middle of what appeared to be a chaste relationship.

Anyway, onward to the pregnancy. The next episode or two here felt more like an instructional show on pregnancy rather than a story worth following. Nagisa of course wants to have the baby at home without considering the medical implications of such a decision. Fortunately they talked her out of it but the snow forced their hand in the end. Like I said before, I felt Nagisa's death making me feel for her was like hitting me with a sledgehammer but what can I say, it worked. The opening for episode 17 had me misty-eyed with all the scenes of Nagisa in the theme song. Tomoya goes into one of those "it sucks to be me, nobody can understand the pain I'm going through" types of spirals. Luckily for him the Furukawas were there to be responsible instead of him. I was glad that somebody finally called him on his bullcrap after he got a free pass for most of the show. The Furukawas and his grandmother finally force him to take responsibility for his actions in one of my favorite segments of the show. I also liked this part of the show because we get to see Kyou again. Plus adult Botan is nothing short of awesome.

After Nagisa's death I was wondering how they were going to salvage this show that had all of a sudden took a turn for the super-depressing. By episodes 18-19 it seemed like they had turned the corner and things were going to be ok, but at this point Tomoya can't catch a break and Ushio comes down with the mysterious illness. This culminates in episode 21 with one of the saddest scenes I've ever seen. I didn't really cry as much as I was shocked at how awfully this had turned out for everybody involved. It was just so terrible that I was incapable of crying at that point. Just when things were getting turned around KEY decided to slap you in the face again.

Of course we all know that things weren't meant to turn out that way and in the end we got a reset button ending with the clock turning back and everything working out for Tomoya. Normally this would annoy me but KEY and KyoAni pulled it off in such a moving fashion that I'll give them a pass on it.

Now despite all the complaints I have about the story it was just so emotionally moving and touched my heart in so many different ways that I ended up giving the story a 9.5 anyway. I won't give it a perfect 10 because it wasn't perfect but it was really damn good.

Music: 7.5/10

BGM: I thought the background music was well done for the most part but nothing spectacular. There weren't any places where it was noticeably bad or amazingly good but overall it was solid. 7/10

Opening Season 1 (Mag Mell): I thought the opening to season one was very good. The song fit the mood of the season and I thought the accompanying animation was also well done including some hidden spoilers that you don't realize were there until the second season. 8/10

Opening Season 2 (Toki o Kizamu Uta): I loved this opening. The mood perfectly fit the mood of the second season and the song itself is beautiful in my opinion. The accompanying animation was spectacular and the lyrics were perfect. 10/10

Closing season 1 (Dango Daikazoku): I never liked this song much because to me it represented an aspect of Nagisa's character I never liked. Namely her childish attachment to everything Dango. That said, the slow pace of the song and the way it starts simple then swells and then finally everything except the vocals fade out made it an acceptable ending theme regardless of the events of the preceding episode. It could have a nostalgic, wistful feel when following a happy episode or a melancholy feel after a sad episode. This earned a 5/10 because it worked so much better than:

Closing Season 2 (TORCH): Oh god torch. Why must you taunt me so? It's been said before but having this upbeat cheery tune come on following the death of the main character's wife and later him and his daughter was just so out of place it's not even funny. I didn't really have a strong opinion on it either way outside of that but just how jarring the transition was from despair to.... TORCH earned this a 3/10

Other stuff (Chiisana Tenohira): I mentioned before that I didn't like the Dango Daikazoku melody because it represented to me something I never liked about the story. However Jun Maeda did something I didn't think he could pull off with Chiisana Tenohira. Namely, he made me love Dango Daikazoku. What had been an annoying representation of a character's unwavering attachment to something childish that everybody else had left behind became a soaring accompaniment to a moving victory lap where we get to see our favorite characters one last time before saying goodbye. The combination of vocals, visuals and instrumentals in that song were just so moving that I still find myself without dry eyes when re-watching that segment. 10/10

Animation/Editing/Voice Acting: INC

This is my first foray into the world of anime on a full series basis. I've seen bits and pieces of other series but never one from beginning to end so I don't feel I have enough perspective to evaluate these aspects of Clannad. That said, I really liked the animation and voice acting whereas I felt the editing could have used some work. Overall it seemed solid to me but watching more will probably allow me to make a better evaluation of it.

Conclusion:

What can I really say about Clannad other than it was a gripping emotional roller-coaster that held my attention from beginning to end? I laughed, I cried, I felt almost every emotion imaginable. It was a beautiful story that was at times amusing then depressing, then uplifting and then back again. The only problem I have is I'm left asking what if. I think KEY did a great job with Tomoya/Nagisa but I find myself wishing for Tomoya/Kyou or Tomoya/Kotomi at times. Well you can't have everything and at this point my biggest concern isn't with any issues the series had but rather whether anything can compare given how nostalgic I'll probably be for Clannad. I'm left wondering if I made a mistake by watching Clannad first and I'll always be left wanting more Clannad and not be able to appreciate something that's different but also very good. I'm not saying Clannad is the best ever because I'm in no position to make such a declaration. Rather that I wonder if I'll ever be able to appreciate other shows for what they are rather than wishing they were more like Clannad.

Overall: 9/10

Give me more Kyou and you can have a 10.
DasDingus is offline   Reply With Quote