AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad series - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 279 64.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 22.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 7.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 2.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.16%
Voters: 430. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-06-20, 04:39   Link #501
Vegard Aune
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the middle of nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Yuiichi Nakamura didn't voice Tomoya in the original VN, did he? I'm not sure.
No, Tomoya never had a voice in the visual novel. As far as I know, Little Busters (only in a couple of mini-games) and Planetarian (the PS2-remake) are the only Key visual novels where the male lead actually had a voice-actor.
__________________
Thinking of stuff to put in a signature is hard...

Last edited by Vegard Aune; 2010-06-20 at 05:47. Reason: Typos. Damn.
Vegard Aune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 04:51   Link #502
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 20
Nah he did get one in the very last iteration, I think. :/
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-20, 13:49   Link #503
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: The Mists
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Ugh. Sorry for being extremely off-topic about this but should i get get into clannad?

I've read through a few of the posts here about their overall view of the anime series. Most people loved it(not liked, LOVED) . If so, should i take my time watching it? Should i read the manga or anime series? and does the ending suck like shit?(Sorry, i hate horrid endings haha )

Thank you guys
and once again, sorry for going off topic :/
There's no way to tell if you'll like an anime unless you watch it, though it might be a good idea to describe other anime you prefer. There's not one anime or any form of media which everyone likes. Personally, I dropped it very quickly at first, but came back later and found it very good as the show went on.

The story isn't perfect and it is kinda cheesy at times, but the emotions are heartfelt, the interactions between characters as well as the romance ultimately feels very real and built upon. It's also very spontaneous with the humor; it's a very energetic show. Ultimately, I accept the show for its strengths and flaws, but I think the good definitely outweighs the bad.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 00:05   Link #504
Cream
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
Well, you're in the Clannad sub-forum so I doubt you'll find many people who will tell you to not get into Clannad. But yes, you should definitely give Clannad a shot. I think many of the posts here and the overall poll rating speak volumes about how excellent Clannad is. I can't say much about the ending without really spoiling it, but yes it is indeed quite controversial and is probably one of the things that divide the fanbase into two: those that like it and those that don't. It's something that you have to form your own opinion about though and it should definitely not deter you from watching this great series. Whichever you choose to begin with is your own choice -- I started off by watching the anime and then moved on to playing the VN, but I haven't read the manga yet.

One thing though, remember to prepare loads of Kleenex.
Oh god , loads of kleenex? I hate crying Q_Q . Haha, I think I'm going to pick up Clannad considering Its officially summer and i got a crap load of time to spare !
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
The anime series was released before the manga but the Visual Novel (the game which the anime series is based off of) was released first. Since I have yet to read the manga in it's entirety, I can't say much about it.

Now the anime series is a different matter all together. Going by your sig, this series contains everything that you're looking for and this series is the cream of the crop in my opinion. Love? Check. Drama? Check. Comedy? Check. Personally, Clannad is on the top of my favorite anime list and so far, I have not run across anything else that can take that spot away. Take your time watching it and experience it to the fullest because this is one of those classic series that don't come around very often. That is, if the numbers are anything to go by.

While the ending is controversial (as zette said,) the intentions were good If I were to say any more, I'd probably be spoiling it so I'll leave it to you. Don't worry about the ending too much though, at least for now, just watch it and I promise you will not regret it. If you do regret watching Clannad, then you can negative rep me all you want.

Now all that's left for you to do, is to begin to walk the long...long...uphill climb.
I'll start with the Anime and if I feel the need to rewatch it I'll just read the manga .(Since a lot of people love it , I guess I might HAVE to haha xD )
Haha, i like the pun used . But as for the things that are 'Checked' thats freaking great man. Those are basically the things that i always try to look forward to in anime. I'll be sure to come back and argue against anyone about the ending haha =P !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
There's no way to tell if you'll like an anime unless you watch it, though it might be a good idea to describe other anime you prefer. There's not one anime or any form of media which everyone likes. Personally, I dropped it very quickly at first, but came back later and found it very good as the show went on.

The story isn't perfect and it is kinda cheesy at times, but the emotions are heartfelt, the interactions between characters as well as the romance ultimately feels very real and built upon. It's also very spontaneous with the humor; it's a very energetic show. Ultimately, I accept the show for its strengths and flaws, but I think the good definitely outweighs the bad.
Yea, I guess I should of relized that :/ . But yea, I love cheesy momments in anime . The way you guys describe the anime is so ...well... facsinating . Its like you guys have had the same heart-felt ways when i read suzuka. Which remains my best anime ever ! Hmm, I wonder if It'll change at all after watching Clannad .

Anyways, Thanks guys . I'm going to begin watching Clannad soon and will be sure to get back to you guys .
__________________
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 00:35   Link #505
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 30
Don't listen to them. You don't need a box of Kleenex.

You need a bath towel.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 00:48   Link #506
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Oh god , loads of kleenex? I hate crying Q_Q . Haha, I think I'm going to pick up Clannad considering Its officially summer and i got a crap load of time to spare !
Having spare time is perfect You'll be able to fully enjoy this wonderful series, although you'll probably be crying quite a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
I'll start with the Anime and if I feel the need to rewatch it I'll just read the manga .(Since a lot of people love it , I guess I might HAVE to haha xD )
Haha, i like the pun used . But as for the things that are 'Checked' thats freaking great man. Those are basically the things that i always try to look forward to in anime. I'll be sure to come back and argue against anyone about the ending haha =P !
Glad you caught the pun Coincidentally, your "check-list" is quite similar to my own so it was easy to recommend it to you. I watch series that include those 3 genres as well.

As for the ending, I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Yea, I guess I should of relized that :/ . But yea, I love cheesy momments in anime . The way you guys describe the anime is so ...well... facsinating . Its like you guys have had the same heart-felt ways when i read suzuka. Which remains my best anime ever ! Hmm, I wonder if It'll change at all after watching Clannad .

Anyways, Thanks guys . I'm going to begin watching Clannad soon and will be sure to get back to you guys .
I'm sure your favorite anime right now will always hold a special place in your heart, but I hope Clannad makes some space of it's own

The journey is long, but it's well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Now all that's left for you to do, is to begin to walk the long...long...uphill climb.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Don't listen to them. You don't need a box of Kleenex.

You need a bath towel.
Quoted for truth
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2010-06-21 at 00:59.
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-21, 03:34   Link #507
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Don't listen to them. You don't need a box of Kleenex.

You need a bath towel.
Mate, bath towel? Down here in Australia, may as well get a bucket, desalinate your tears and use it as drinking water. XD
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 21:00   Link #508
Cream
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Connecticut
Haha, I just finished Clannad (1st season). Was effin' great.
<-- This guy , yes this 'Cream' guy loves Fu-chan =P . Anyways, I dont want to say much after watching it, but after i finish clannad after story, be prepared for an essay haha .
Btw, I cried 2 times so far, which is actually rare considering I dont cry at animations .
__________________
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 23:10   Link #509
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Haha, I just finished Clannad (1st season). Was effin' great.
<-- This guy , yes this 'Cream' guy loves Fu-chan =P . Anyways, I dont want to say much after watching it, but after i finish clannad after story, be prepared for an essay haha .
I can't say how good it is that you enjoyed the 1st season. Fuko is great though, I loved her arc as well. With that said, you will thoroughly enjoy After Story. I guarantee it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Btw, I cried 2 times so far, which is actually rare considering I dont cry at animations .
Well then, be prepared. Be prepared.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 03:14   Link #510
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
totally
after story, once it gets into the full swing of things, is considerably better then season 1.
season one was a (far above the average) standard harem comedy.
after story takes it much higher, by making the main couple already a couple throughout.
it sings a completely different tune.
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 03:29   Link #511
zette
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream View Post
Haha, I just finished Clannad (1st season). Was effin' great.
<-- This guy , yes this 'Cream' guy loves Fu-chan =P . Anyways, I dont want to say much after watching it, but after i finish clannad after story, be prepared for an essay haha .
Btw, I cried 2 times so far, which is actually rare considering I dont cry at animations .
Awesome, guess we have another Clannad fan around these parts. Like DeX said, you will definitely enjoy After Story as well.

And yeah, it seems that for most people, Clannad and crying come together in a package. I'm pretty open about my emotions when watching anime and get teary-eyed easily when watching sad scenes, but Clannad took it to another level altogether.
__________________
zette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 06:38   Link #512
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 20
Then move on to the other Key works...lol.

Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 18:19   Link #513
Dobby
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC, Canada
Holy smokes. There's just something in this series that I cannot put to words...

Having just finished Angel Beats, I read online that Angel Beats was "related" to Clannad in some form or another (hah). Thinking back, I remember seeing a banner or poster/image of Clannad; I thought this would be some "typical" Harem sort of anime and always chose against watching it; what a mistake I have made all these years.

To say the least, I have no problems shedding manly tears!! Hah, but this series took shedding tears to a whole new level. Being able to relate to Kotomi and Tomoya, the simple story, yet one told so well, the humour that's spread out appropriately through the series, my god.

The series pulled me in with Fuko's arc: how they added the gentle humour, music, and sealed the deal with the sequence just before the wedding. After that, I plowed through the first season.

The music was a little awkward for me at times; a number of the synthesized pieces didnt really fit. I would have loved it if they had a number of orchestrated pieces. I must say though, every piano song (Especially Nagisa's theme) was a joy to listen to.

I felt the voice acting to be stellar. It was a total "AHA!" moment when I finally confirmed that Tomoya's voice actor did Alto from Macross Frontier.

I will be starting the second season soon. I can't wait to see what it will bring me
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 20:54   Link #514
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobby View Post
Holy smokes. There's just something in this series that I cannot put to words...

Having just finished Angel Beats, I read online that Angel Beats was "related" to Clannad in some form or another (hah). Thinking back, I remember seeing a banner or poster/image of Clannad; I thought this would be some "typical" Harem sort of anime and always chose against watching it; what a mistake I have made all these years.

To say the least, I have no problems shedding manly tears!! Hah, but this series took shedding tears to a whole new level. Being able to relate to Kotomi and Tomoya, the simple story, yet one told so well, the humour that's spread out appropriately through the series, my god.

The series pulled me in with Fuko's arc: how they added the gentle humour, music, and sealed the deal with the sequence just before the wedding. After that, I plowed through the first season.

The music was a little awkward for me at times; a number of the synthesized pieces didnt really fit. I would have loved it if they had a number of orchestrated pieces. I must say though, every piano song (Especially Nagisa's theme) was a joy to listen to.

I felt the voice acting to be stellar. It was a total "AHA!" moment when I finally confirmed that Tomoya's voice actor did Alto from Macross Frontier.

I will be starting the second season soon. I can't wait to see what it will bring me
I made the same mistake initially. Thinking that this series would become something generic and opted to avoid this wonderful anime until I just decided to give it a chance one day, and boy was I ever just utterly amazed at how good this series ended up being. As redundant as I keep being, I can't help but praise this series when someone else enjoys it as much as I did To this day, it remains as the best show I've seen and I'm not sure there will be another series to take it's spot.

Yes, Yuiichi Nakamura voiced both Alto and Tomoya but the acting itself is so good that I treat each character individually. His voice just pulls me into the character and he's actually one of my favorite VA's.

As for the second season, I'll give you the same warning I give others that are moving onto the sequel, be prepared. It's going to be an emotional roller coaster from here on out. If you decide to review this series, I'll be here to read it
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 22:41   Link #515
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NSW, Australia
Age: 20
Wow, all you guys treated it like a normal harem anime. o_o;

Was I the only one expecting what I got since I played the VN first? XD
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 00:30   Link #516
zette
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I made the same mistake initially. Thinking that this series would become something generic and opted to avoid this wonderful anime until I just decided to give it a chance one day, and boy was I ever just utterly amazed at how good this series ended up being. As redundant as I keep being, I can't help but praise this series when someone else enjoys it as much as I did To this day, it remains as the best show I've seen and I'm not sure there will be another series to take it's spot.
Glad I wasn't the only one. I watched the first episode once and after seeing the classroom scene with Kyou/Ryou, I thought 'lol typical harem' and stopped watching. It wasn't until about five months later that I decided to rewatch it and give the series a shot. I'm not sure what made me go back to it, but I'm glad as hell I did! Agree with you on the best show sentiment, Clannad has left a huge impact on me that I doubt any show will be able to top.
__________________
zette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 00:55   Link #517
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Wow, all you guys treated it like a normal harem anime. o_o;

Was I the only one expecting what I got since I played the VN first? XD
Of course not, I'm sure someone else went into the anime the same way

Quote:
Originally Posted by zette View Post
Glad I wasn't the only one. I watched the first episode once and after seeing the classroom scene with Kyou/Ryou, I thought 'lol typical harem' and stopped watching. It wasn't until about five months later that I decided to rewatch it and give the series a shot. I'm not sure what made me go back to it, but I'm glad as hell I did! Agree with you on the best show sentiment, Clannad has left a huge impact on me that I doubt any show will be able to top.
Funny thing is, the title was also something that turned me away but kind of grabbed my attention at the same time. It was kind of an awkward situation for me but I decided to watch Clannad because I had saturated my list of romance/drama animes at the time. Little did I know that this series was going to end up being the definition of the genre in my eyes

I enjoyed the first season but it was far from what I would call the "best show," it's really the entire series that makes it what it is. After Story just reaches another level which is unmatched so far, I'm hoping I can experience that feeling again with a different show but Clannad will always hold a special spot.
__________________

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 01:38   Link #518
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Wow, all you guys treated it like a normal harem anime. o_o;

Was I the only one expecting what I got since I played the VN first? XD
I honestly had no idea[though that's how I go into most animes ] what to expect going into Clannad as I knew three things about it, it's was supposedly amazing romance, would make me cry, and it was by kyoto animation . Also I am/was limited in romance series, but Clannad was far better than any other romance series I've seen before it, and defined the genre for me. And I really don't see it be removing my top 5 favorites for years to come.
__________________
Mimori Togo & Yuuna Yuuki -Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru
Avatar By RRW; Sig by Auxilism
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 04:05   Link #519
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Personally, I slightly preferred the first season just for the nice mix of high school hijinks and serious drama, while After Story's center focus on real life drama felt a little slow and depressing at times. The episodes devoted Nagisa's pregnancy and Tomoya's job were pretty yawn-inducing.

As a matter of fact, I don't really remember crying at all in After Story. I mean, the emotional impact was there, but they build it up so as to have a soft landing when the inevitable occurs, rather than hitting you like a truck in S1's episode 18. Ushio's death almost got me, though, I'll admit. For me, that was the single strongest moment in After Story.
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 11:53   Link #520
hinakatbklyn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
I admit I rated the first season higher since it had both comedy, romance and drama mixed in to keep things interesting.

Out of all the sad scenes that I can think of, the scenes leading up to and including the end for Nagisa I can put down as the saddest.

This series (combined) in total is borderline top 5 for me.
__________________
hinakatbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.