AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad series - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 278 65.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 22.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 30 7.03%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 2.34%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.23%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.17%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-07-16, 10:16   Link #561
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Whoa, whoa, easy now. Clannad was great, but "better than Eva"? Come on. I think you're just on a high after having watched a great new series (happens to all of us).
It boils down to personal opinion. CLANNAD is my #3. Evangelion, while good doesn't even rank in my top chart.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 15:15   Link #562
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
It boils down to personal opinion. CLANNAD is my #3. Evangelion, while good doesn't even rank in my top chart.
Same, but I am a romantic so romances have more of an interest to me, thus why I say Clannad is one of the best.

I mean, my top 5:

1. Clannad (anime. The manga is good, but the anime is way better to me)
2. Ichigo 100% and I"S (cannot decide) (manga)
3. Kaichou Wa Maid-Sama! (manga)
4. D.Gray-Man (manga)
5. 1/2 Prince (manga)

See, they are all romances except 4 and 5.
Old 2010-07-16, 19:03   Link #563
XGeneral2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
Whoa, whoa, easy now. Clannad was great, but "better than Eva"? Come on. I think you're just on a high after having watched a great new series (happens to all of us).
I think he means that he enjoyed Clannad more than Eva. I'm like-minded in that sense, though I would agree that Eva was more influential than Clannad (Clannad was a great anime, and top-class in its genre, but Eva had a serious impact on anime as a whole; for a series to get as much significant discussion as it does today 15 years after it aired, it has to have been pretty important).
XGeneral2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 23:13   Link #564
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Actually, I meant, if he thought Evangelion was one of his favorite series then Clannad somehow overthrew that...he's probably just a little too excited about finishing the series. I know it's a difference in taste/opinion/whatever, I'm just saying...I don't think this is quite the epic masterpiece Evangelion was. Sorry. :(
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 23:21   Link #565
XGeneral2000

Quote:
Actually, I meant, if he thought Evangelion was one of his favorite series then Clannad somehow overthrew that...he's probably just a little too excited about finishing the series. I know it's a difference in taste/opinion/whatever, I'm just saying...I don't think this is quite the epic masterpiece Evangelion was. Sorry.
Well yeah, taste is taste; while I think that Eva being more influential is more or less fact, whether or not you enjoyed it more than something else is entirely personal taste. There's no need to apologize, heh
XGeneral2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-16, 23:32   Link #566
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Quote:
Actually, I meant, if he thought Evangelion was one of his favorite series then Clannad somehow overthrew that...he's probably just a little too excited about finishing the series. I know it's a difference in taste/opinion/whatever, I'm just saying...I don't think this is quite the epic masterpiece Evangelion was. Sorry.
For some odd reason I was bored watching Eva.... Do not get me wrong, it was good but it bored me. Actually, even Naruto and Bleach bore me lately and I use to like those....Lately a lot of action mangas and animes have been doing that. I guess I am a rather strange one eh?

I never would say that Eva sucked, it didn't. I just could keep an interest in it.
Old 2010-07-17, 05:24   Link #567
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Eh, apples and oranges. I think

Spoiler:

I don't know, both are in my top (5) favs somewhere. (Evangelion as a whole-- tv+ movies, I thought that tv series was great but not da best show ever-- no show is) But honestly, I'll be damned if I had to choose between them.

Yes, Evangelion was revolutionary and will be remembered long after; Clannad can't approach that. It also had a particularly large impact on me and actually has grown on me since I've watched it.

But, There's too much silly stuff towards the end that hampers it. The characters are well written but the story sometimes lacks subtlety. Of course, it's the single most important anime ever in the modern age, and I'll subscribe to that all day. But it's certainly not perfect even if I will say it reached out to me in a most excellent manner.

Funny that Eva had to be brought up, that's yet another LSD trip.

Then again, appreciating a show requires one to accept both its strengths and weaknesses. Some people can and others can't. So a show will earn far more credit with some than others. I just find it easier to accept Clannad's problems more. For me, I'll say Eva's the better anime when I'm more depressed, lol. For other moods, I'd prefer Clannad. There's just too many ways to success.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 05:38   Link #568
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I see NGE and Clannad as apples and oranges too.

Clannad is largely a romantic comedy. NGE has an overall darker and more mecha feel to it. NGE has light sprinklings of romance here and there, but it's not the driving force of the anime, as it often is in Clannad.

So, it's not a surprise that somebody could like Clannad, and not like NGE as much (or vice versa). They're two very different animes.
Old 2010-07-17, 06:56   Link #569
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Agreed.

I like battle animes/manga and such, but romances click with me more than anything.
Old 2010-07-17, 19:54   Link #570
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

I love romance too, and even try to look for it in other genres. There's something to be said for love developing subtly amidst a battlefield, rather than drawn out and in our faces.
Old 2010-07-17, 22:38   Link #571
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Agreed, but it can be hard to find such things.
Old 2010-07-18, 02:47   Link #572
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
I love romance too, and even try to look for it in other genres. There's something to be said for love developing subtly amidst a battlefield, rather than drawn out and in our faces.
What love was seriously developed in the original NGE? I mean, when you factor in End of Eva...

Also, there's many anime fans who don't consider NGE to be an "epic masterpiece". I myself don't consider it that good, frankly. OTOH, as a romantic comedy, I think that a case could be made that Clannad is a masterpiece.
Old 2010-07-18, 03:09   Link #573
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

I wasn't talking about Evangelion at all, I actually meant anime in general. I find it much more interesting to portray romance through outlandish scenarios where it usually isn't the main plot device, rather than your standard high school, college, or single dude's apartment and boring life. That way, the male and female lead have greater obstacles to overcome than just "RL 2.0".

And let's stop with this pussy subjective shit, ok? I don't have to type IMHO after every post just to get you guys to realize that when I make all-encompassing statements, they're non-factual and usually only pertain to me.
Old 2010-07-18, 04:40   Link #574
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
I wasn't talking about Evangelion at all, I actually meant anime in general. I find it much more interesting to portray romance through outlandish scenarios where it usually isn't the main plot device, rather than your standard high school, college, or single dude's apartment and boring life. That way, the male and female lead have greater obstacles to overcome than just "RL 2.0".
Ok, I see what you mean now.

Romance couched within a larger serious conflict can be interesting, and add something to the romance, yes.
Old 2010-07-18, 05:31   Link #575
Haak
Forever Alone...

I'm the opposite. I find romance in more realistic setting are easier to believe in and thus have a greater emotional involvement. For example, I consider 5 Centimeters Per Second to be better than The Place Promised in our Early Days because of precisely this.
Old 2010-07-18, 10:33   Link #576
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Hm... I will hav eto check those out. But I do agree, a romance set and played out more realistically are better. I's and Ichigo 100% (although no 100% realistic) are 2 of my most favorite. Clannad goes along side both of these without questions asked in my book.

Although, what really made Clannad series stand out to me was the fact is was able to pull so much feeling and emotion from me. Never once before have I cried because of the death of a character or felt so much relief when it turned out everything was fine. Actually I didn't full settle down until almost a full 36 hours after watching Clannad.

To me, in my honest opinion, Clannad series in itself rates as a masterpiece in my heart. There will be those of you who argue this, but it is how I feel.
Old 2010-07-18, 13:29   Link #577
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
And let's stop with this pussy subjective shit, ok? I don't have to type IMHO after every post just to get you guys to realize that when I make all-encompassing statements, they're non-factual and usually only pertain to me.
There's really no need for that language and reaction, that's unnecessary.

You're right though, it's not necessary to point out that what you're saying is your opinion but it is a form of respect/acknowledgment in the opinions of others. While your posts may only pertain to you, they are also open to the public. Some are just trying to be considerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin of Memories View Post
To me, in my honest opinion, Clannad series in itself rates as a masterpiece in my heart. There will be those of you who argue this, but it is how I feel.
And of course, there is nothing wrong with that. To me, Clannad is the primary example of how romantic/drama/comedy series should be made. Although to be fair, some shows just don't have the financial means to create a series of Clannad's caliber. Even so, there are other animes that really don't have any excuse

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 15:01   Link #578
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Agreed. Although another masterpiece which deserves some mention is Love Hina but that does not pertain to Clannad. Although you are right. To make such an anime of Clannad's caliber, you do need a pretty penny; although, I have found some manga that have had almost the same affect, just not in terms of a tragic loss like in Clannad, but more along the lines of impact.
Old 2010-07-19, 18:18   Link #579
Dobby

Ooh, Love Hina is a series I really enjoyed. I will never get tired of the Winter Special.

Here's mine -

My god, it's been a week since finishing After Story, and I'm still caught in this, for the lack of a better word, hype?

I've always had a fondness for a series that I can relate to, even if remotely. I guess that's been one reason why I've always enjoyed those high school comedies, etc.

Voice Acting (Japanese):
Note - I haven't seen the english dubs.
I really enjoyed the voice acting of the first season. But for some reason After Story really stood out. Two things for me to note - Ushio. Is. Freaking. Adorable. Good god. Satomi Korogi's ability is beyond words.

Yuichi was incredible in bringing Tomoya to life. From his happiness, to his fear, despair, depression, and rejuvenation. It just felt so real.

Animation:
I found the animation to be stellar from start to finish. I love the "little things" and the attention to detail that was placed in this series. From the cast having an "unlimited" wardrobe, to the ever-so-slight changes to hair on Nagisa. The biggest catch for me was how Tomoya's face had the slightly sullen look with eyebags after the 16th episode,

Spoiler:

Story:
I was somewhat concerned after the first episode of After Story. It did feel a little random to me, but at the same time, I did enjoy the character development of these "side characters." Although I'd love to see more of the supporting cast as the season progressed, the focus on Tomoya and Nagisa was incredible. The touches of humour (especially with Akio), appropriate music, wonderful animation. As my friend called it, "MANY MANLY TEARS WERE SHED:"

Spoiler:

Music:
While I enjoyed the music throughout the series, it wasn't until actually listening to the soundtrack and then a couple of clips again, that I was able to fully appreciate the music in the series.

The ED, Torch, was quite a killjoy in a number of episodes though... a real killjoy.

The "remix" to Nagisa's theme in the 22nd episode is now my favourite, especially just before the 2 minute marker -

(Apologies if linking to this is not allowed, please remove if necessary).
---

Overall, Having watched anime since a child, I've yet to find a series that was as "complete" as this. Most of the ones I've seen tend to focus on childhood, or high school life, and end it there. I loved how this displayed Tomoya's life during and after high school, moving into adulthood. Clannad receives extra bonus marks becuase I was able to relate to Tomoya so much. And even though things are now better with my dad, after finishing this series, I still had to go to him and thank him for all he's done for me.

This will be the first series that I really want to collect the OSTs and the Blu-Ray. I hope After Story will get a Blu-Ray release too.

Whew.

Last edited by Dobby; 2010-08-03 at 11:17.
Dobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 19:44   Link #580
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

I will only make one comment:

Everything you said I complete agree with ^-^ So far I too have yet to find a "complete" anime as Clannad. Although my own personal curiosity is what happened after the happy ending.

Last edited by Sin of Memories; 2010-07-19 at 20:13.
Sin of Memories is offline   Reply With Quote