AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad series - Overall Series Impressions & Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 279 64.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 96 22.33%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 7.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 2.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 0.70%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 0.47%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.23%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.23%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 1.16%
Voters: 430. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-08-02, 08:33   Link #581
Never Knows Best
Monochrome Like A Panda.

Send a message via AIM to Never Knows Best Send a message via MSN to Never Knows Best Send a message via Yahoo to Never Knows Best
I have been trying to get my friends to watch Clannad since like 2 years ago. I even gave them my copys of the show, but they are too lazy to watch them!

However this year at Otakon someone made an AMV of Clannad, and now they really want to watch it. So my friends and I are going to watch/re-watch the series from Thursday till it's done. Lol.

Never Knows Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-03, 17:59   Link #582
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Awesome man. Last time I did that with friends it was with Chobits. Clannad really is an amazing series and is worthy of EVERY SINGLE PRAISE it gets.
Old 2010-08-04, 08:32   Link #583
Never Knows Best
Monochrome Like A Panda.

Send a message via AIM to Never Knows Best Send a message via MSN to Never Knows Best Send a message via Yahoo to Never Knows Best
Without a doubt! I am actually going to pick up the DVDs later on tonight so we don't have to watch the episodes off of my ipod/component cable.

Never Knows Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 02:46   Link #584
Fukutsuki_kaze
The Ominous Winds

This is the ONY ANIME where i've came so incredibly close to crying my eyes out from the start to the very last episode.

I can't stand tearjerkers so i got rid of my copy of Clannad and Afterstory but i have to say, this anime IS good for anyone who's into heavy Drama and hints of Comedy throughout an anime involving romance.

~Senjougahara Hitagi, bakemonogatari
Fukutsuki_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-05, 09:50   Link #585
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Send a message via AIM to Sin of Memories Send a message via MSN to Sin of Memories Send a message via Yahoo to Sin of Memories
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fukutsuki_kaze View Post
This is the ONY ANIME where i've came so incredibly close to crying my eyes out from the start to the very last episode.

I can't stand tearjerkers so i got rid of my copy of Clannad and Afterstory but i have to say, this anime IS good for anyone who's into heavy Drama and hints of Comedy throughout an anime involving romance.
Most definitely. Although too bad for me I cried more times that I would have liked in Clannad series ;_;

After a certain person died, I actually stopped watching the anime and curled up in bed for 3 days and cried each time I thought about it. It was so sad.
Old 2010-08-06, 03:20   Link #586
Pathfinder4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin of Memories View Post
Most definitely. Although too bad for me I cried more times that I would have liked in Clannad series ;_;

After a certain person died, I actually stopped watching the anime and curled up in bed for 3 days and cried each time I thought about it. It was so sad.
I totally agree!
I haven't felt/cried this way in a long time from watching a series.

I have to say I loved the first season of Clannad. I couldn't understand is why I was so emotional touch by first season. Nothing special about the characters right? The same harem like series that there is the main character and his bumbling friend ( no chance with any of the women) and 5 to 6 girls who want to be his girlfriend. But the ending of season 1 was touching. I had to watch it a second time.

I hesitated watching After Story because I really enjoyed the first season and man that was one hell of emotional roll-coaster ride.

Spoiler for Clannad After Story:

I give this series a 8/10. First season a 9/10 and with the second season with a 7/10.
Pathfinder4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-06, 03:37   Link #587
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Hmm. Interesting. Most people rate After Story higher. XD
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 10:13   Link #588
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

Spoiler for Ending Q:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder4k View Post
I hesitated watching After Story because I really enjoyed the first season and man that was one hell of emotional roll-coaster ride.
No kidding. I felt like crap for about a week after watching Clannad AS... Even though the ending was a happy ever after, I still cried after I thought of those 2....

Last edited by Sin of Memories; 2010-08-07 at 10:28.
Sin of Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 21:56   Link #589
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

inside your spoiler: "the overall series to me touched me in ways I never thought I could be touched by an anime"

LOL.

I'M SORRY ><

But yeah...the same, without the innuendo. XD
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 22:56   Link #590
Sin of Memories
あなたが忘れられない

You know what I meant pervert.
Old 2010-08-09, 16:46   Link #591
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
Hmm. Interesting. Most people rate After Story higher. XD
Well, season 1 does have a number of advantages....

-- The side characters. We really don't know what happens with them later on AS, so you really need to appreciate Nagisa to appreciate AS.

-- Overall, season 1 is more consistent. The first 1/3 of After Story varied a lot in quality and I'd say certain parts were outright bad.

-- Season 1 is lighter and stronger in the comedy aspect which actually sets it apart from its 2 other siblings Kanon and Air too as well as After Story, not everyone likes all that drama etc.

-- Season 1 ED> Season 2 ED, lol.

It's hard to say, since season 2 becomes quite a different show from season 1.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-10, 18:45   Link #592
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, season 1 does have a number of advantages....

-- The side characters. We really don't know what happens with them later on AS, so you really need to appreciate Nagisa to appreciate AS.

-- Overall, season 1 is more consistent. The first 1/3 of After Story varied a lot in quality and I'd say certain parts were outright bad.

-- Season 1 is lighter and stronger in the comedy aspect which actually sets it apart from its 2 other siblings Kanon and Air too as well as After Story, not everyone likes all that drama etc.

-- Season 1 ED> Season 2 ED, lol.

It's hard to say, since season 2 becomes quite a different show from season 1.
I feel that it's more about the shift of focus that determines whether you'll like Season 2 better. The shift from School Life/Comedy to a more Slice of Life/Drama is hit or miss, although apparently it's more of a hit if we solely go by the numbers.

Unlike your opinion about the first half of After Story, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course it doesn't compare to what follows, it was still pretty interesting to dive into the history of some of the other side characters. Admittedly, the first couple of episodes do seem to lose some aim and becomes a little inconsistent but everything falls into place from episodes 9-22.

Ultimately it is pretty difficult to say which season should be rated higher considering the distinctions of not only the focus, but the genre as well. At the end of the day, it all boils down to personal preferences but none of that takes away what Clannad is

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 00:57   Link #593
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Well, I guess it's hard to judge them separately, which is why I won't. I actually do like the fact that both seasons have such a different focus and theme (would be lame if it stayed the same.) The two halves of Clannad allow it to be a more fully featured story that covers the whole range of emotions which is something I also liked about Higurashi, another show that had radically different seasons. In any case, the story and characters have been irrevocably changed for better or for worse. But hey, that's the point of a story, isn't it?

But I don't know, I still think Clannad stumbled around near the end particularly around Ushio dying in After Story, though it of course ended well. And that's what counts.

Oh yea, I rewatched AS 22 last week , and for some reason was overwhelmed at one point I had to step away even though I didn't have to when I first watched it. I obviously knew what was gonna happen this time, but it didn't really matter. Can you guess which scene?
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-08-11 at 01:08.
Old 2010-08-11, 20:50   Link #594
DeX-kun

Quote:
But I don't know, I still think Clannad stumbled around near the end particularly around Ushio dying in After Story, though it of course ended well. And that's what counts.
You know, I actually do agree with this sentiment although after completely understanding the ending and the reasons for how they reached it, I can't help but feel satisfied. I mean looking back at Yukine's arc and Kotomi's arc for example, they really set the pieces in place and to me, it justifies the ending to the series.

Quote:
Oh yea, I rewatched AS 22 last week , and for some reason was overwhelmed at one point I had to step away even though I didn't have to when I first watched it. I obviously knew what was gonna happen this time, but it didn't really matter. Can you guess which scene?
If I had to take a stab at it I'd say it was the long, long walk through the snowy path that Tomoya and Ushio took on their way to the train.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2010-08-11 at 21:28.
Old 2010-08-11, 20:54   Link #595
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
If I had to take a stab at it I'd say it was the long, long walk through the snowy path that Tomoya and Ushio took on their way to the train.
*sniff* that was defiantly a heart-breaking scene *sniff*
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-11, 21:19   Link #596
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
*sniff* that was defiantly a heart-breaking scene *sniff*
One of many from After Story. Watching Ushio struggle yet remain determined (just like her mother) while walking through the snow was just ironic and heart-wrenching at the same time.

Sometimes the tragedy in this series overshadows the subtleties and I wouldn't have it any other way, it's something that I truly appreciate.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"

Last edited by DeX-kun; 2010-08-11 at 21:32.
Old 2010-08-11, 22:23   Link #597
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

I grew to love Nagisa and Ushio and just watching them struggle from this fever just made it very tough to continue watching without a tear actually growing in my eyes, I must admit Clannad: After Story had the best heart-breaking moments I have ever seen in an anime.

Spoiler for Havn't Watched series = dont click:
Old 2010-08-12, 01:39   Link #598
Archon_Wing
Throw it on the ground
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post

I didn't think it happened that episode? Anyhow,

Spoiler:

Plus it's so colorful and stuff.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-08-12, 02:02   Link #599
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I grew to love Nagisa and Ushio and just watching them struggle from this fever just made it very tough to continue watching without a tear actually growing in my eyes, I must admit Clannad: After Story had the best heart-breaking moments I have ever seen in an anime.

Spoiler for Havn't Watched series = dont click:
Honestly, I didn't pay enough attention through my first watch to notice that There were enough hints to figure it out before-hand but I wouldn't say that it was obvious by any means.

Quote:
I didn't think it happened that episode? Anyhow,

Spoiler:

Plus it's so colorful and stuff.
My mistake I had that scene in my head while typing my previous post

Either way, that whole scene where Tomoya had to choose between never meeting Nagisa or living through adversity again was such a powerful moment. Tomoya breaking down and yelling out Nagisa's name always gets to me regardless of how many times I watch it.

And yes, the colors do help the beauty of the entire scene

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2010-08-12, 02:48   Link #600
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Shiny colors make all animes look interesting indeed.