AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-29, 16:51   Link #61
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
However that fact itself is a proof that it has been widely recognized since then. If things go on like this, in the next 50 years we can cut off 0,1% of energy consumed each year just by doing this, which is huge.
Yea, you're seeing it positively.

This is coupled with all other efforts and solutions.

You don't ignore an effort no matter how small it is, every bit counts.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 16:55   Link #62
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

A good test for power grid stability imo. If a power grid can't take it, it needs some modernization.
And in countries like germany or japan that might have another positive effect. Its sort of statistically proven, that similar situations (power outages) usually increase the birth-rate (with an approximate offset of 9 month in time).
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 17:39   Link #63
Zippicus

Quote:
However that fact itself is a proof that it has been widely recognized since then. And that recognition will only spread more and more. If we can turn it into a day like Valentine day in 100 years, it will be a glorious success of mankind.
That looks good on paper, but in reality, turning your lights off for an hour doesn't do squat. Power plants run continuously, spewing crap into the atmosphere whether people are using power or not.

If people want to do something of substance, great, I'm all for it. If they just want to be a cheerleader then I'll probably continue to ignore them. Awareness is great and all but it's pointless unless you act on said awareness.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 18:24   Link #64
Cinocard

Quote:
That looks good on paper, but in reality, turning your lights off for an hour doesn't do squat. Power plants run continuously, spewing crap into the atmosphere whether people are using power or not.
You understand nothing.

True, now if I alone turned off a light bulb in my house, it wouldn't do squat. Or even a thousands, it wouldn't do squat. But a billion, you can just turn off the whole power plant for good. It is an act to raise the habit of power saving of each individual, which will eventually result in something significant in the future. It is unlikely to happen, but the possibility still exists.

It will happen if it can reach out to billion of ppl out there, but they think like you, which makes it incredibly difficult. We must be aware of it first to even act. And even if we are aware of it, most of us still do not act, like you.

Even if I do it, if the others don't do it, It wouldn't do squat, let alone save the world? How the heck does that have to do with me?

I don't do Earth Hour to SAVE THE WORLD. Woa, as if I could save the world. I do it because it might result in something better, or it might not. I'm not a fool. But between a tiny bit chance to make the world a tiny bit better, and to enjoy myself for a moment and not helping the world even just a tiny bit, I take the chance.

You don't take that chance, instead continue to enjoy yourself to the fullest. I won't say you have an awareness of Environment or not. I say that your will to sacrifice for the environment is lower than me. And the fact that there's more ppl similar to you than to me, and that the issue continues to be worse prove that yours is not enough. May be even myself is not enough, who knows? But you want to do something bigger, with bigger chance of having a result. Only then it will outweigh your own satisfaction and make you do it. Fine, but if that chance never comes, Earth may be doom with everyone like YOU. That much is obvious. Instead of changing yourself, raising your own will to act, you wait for others to change first. Instead of taking whatever chance we have now, you sit there and wait for an unclear chance to come in the future. Optimistically, the chance will come, and it will be sufficent. However, it doesn't change a fact that your thinking is ultimately passive in this matter.

Last edited by Cinocard; 2009-03-29 at 18:55.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 18:44   Link #65
iLney

History has proven that unless we are hit really hard by Global Warming, nothing substantial will change. Thus, this whole thing is pointless.
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 18:51   Link #66
Cinocard

That much may be true. But I'm still scared for me grandchildren. Humanity won't be extinct because of the current global warming, of course. But many still have to suffer, not just mankind alone.

Last edited by Cinocard; 2009-03-29 at 19:04.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 18:54   Link #67
Gin-Ichimaru

[FONT="Arial Black"]Everyone has been talkin' about the Earth Hour! I didn't know we had one.. Untill a couple of weeks ago...I think? Still, I didn't know so! =o[/FONT]
Old 2009-03-29, 18:57   Link #68
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

History has also proven that those who studied daily for their exams instead of procrastinating have a better chance of doing well in exams.

But anyway, if humans can survive it ultimately, its fine for me.

People like to say everything will come to an end, if we're talking about pointless, everything in this universe would be pointless.

But the problem is most people still want to live.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 19:06   Link #69
Zippicus

Quote:
You understand nothing.

True, now if I alone turned off a light bulb in my house, it wouldn't do squat. Or even a thousands, it wouldn't do squat. But a billion, you can just turn off the whole power plant for good. It is an act to raise the habit of power saving of each individual, which will eventually result in something significant in the future. It is unlikely to happen, but the possibility still exists.

It will happen if it can reach out to billion of ppl out there, but they think like you, which makes it incredibly difficult. We must be aware of it first to even act. And even if we are aware of it, most of us still do not act, like you.

Even if I do it, if the others don't do it, It wouldn't do squat, let alone save the world? How the heck does that have to do with me?

I don't do Earth Hour to SAVE THE WORLD. Woa, as if I could save the world. I do it because it might result in something better, or it might not. I'm not a fool. But between a tiny bit chance to make the world a tiny bit better, and to enjoy myself for a moment and not helping the world even just a tiny bit, I take the chance.

You don't take that chance, instead continue to enjoy yourself to the fullest. I won't say you have an awareness of Environment or not. I say that your will to sacrifice for the environment is lower than me. And the fact that there's more ppl similar to you than to me, and that the issue continues to be worse prove that yours is not enough. May be even myself is not enough, who knows? But you want to do something bigger, with bigger chance of having a result. Only then it will outweigh your own satisfaction and make you do it. Fine, but if that chance never comes, Earth is doom with everyone like YOU. That much is obvious. Instead of changing yourself, raising your own will to act, you wait for others to change first. Instead of taking whatever chance we have now, you sit there and wait for an unclear chance to come in the future. Optimistically, the chance will come, and it will be sufficent. However, it doesn't change a fact that your thinking is ultimately passive in this matter.
I think you're misunderstanding my stance here. I think that being a cheerleader and doing pointless gestures that have zero effect on the problem are a waste of time. They might as well have told people to hop on one foot for 10 minutes, it has the same net effect on the environment as the stupid stunt they pulled. Doing 100 things that look good has less worth than doing 1 thing that actually does good.

Actual action that helps the environment is great, for example this spring I'm planning on adding another Norway Maple tree in my back yard, not only is it a sweet looking tree it actually does some good.

So in short, I'm against dumb stuff, I'm all for real stuff.
Old 2009-03-29, 19:07   Link #70
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

For what is worth it, all I can say is that I'll try hard to remember this day come next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippicus
Actual action that helps the environment is great, for example this spring I'm planning on adding another Norway Maple tree in my back yard, not only is it a sweet looking tree it actually does some good.
You never know, perhaps some people will feel like actually doing something after hearing about this. They may even do something like planting another tree in their back yards.
Old 2009-03-29, 19:22   Link #71
Slice of Life
eyewitness

I wonder if some people have actually understood the idea of a political demonstration. Or any kind of political engagement for that matter.

I also wonder why people spend so much effort in arguing that an action is pointless and irrelevant when they consider it pointless and irrelevant.
Old 2009-03-29, 19:45   Link #72
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

I practice Earth Hour every night, usually starting when I turn the heater off before going to bed.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 19:53   Link #73
iLney

Understood? So? The ultimate goal is saving Earth right? If that goal is not met, the rest is pointless. You can study everyday for the exam but if you don't pass it, it would be pointless. The whole university or nation can back you up but if you don't pass, it would also be pointless. You have an "F" for failure not something else for effort ("F" can stand for "f fort" too).

The good thing is if this political demonstration goes on long enough, humanity will be hit really hard by Global Warming (or something else). Then we will start to engage in serious business. And we can tell our children "Look, such simple act results in what we have today!"

But hey, a simple belief that they can do something really meaningful is enough for humanity to go on.

Edit: if you ask me whether it is pointless, I will always say yes. But I will always support it.
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-29, 20:00   Link #74
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
I wonder if some people have actually understood the idea of a political demonstration. Or any kind of political engagement for that matter.

I also wonder why people spend so much effort in arguing that an action is pointless and irrelevant when they consider it pointless and irrelevant.
Heh, yeah talking about stuff is fine and whatnot, I much prefer action though (preferably not frivolous action though ).
Old 2009-03-29, 20:04   Link #75
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS

The fact that those who joined Earth Hour today, within 10 -20 years time could grow up to be a minister, a president, a congressman...etc... who can persuade their people to pass down policy for a national (and could be global) changing.

The chance for it happens is too small? Well that's why we put it up as a global events. If we reach 1 billions people as target, then even if only 2% participants really be affected by such events, it was still a great success. And the chance that the next government will head for a more sustainable development rise as well

Believe me, it's not absolute, but it take less than 1 hour to completely change a person mind about certain issue (e.g environment awareness and global warming)
Old 2009-03-29, 23:46   Link #76
FateAnomaly

I don't really care about Earth hour. I do what i had to do to lead my life comfortably. To me thats a meaningless and insignificant gesture. Collectively human nature wouldn't change. Its a hopeless fight. Humans well deserve an extinction for their actions anyway.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 00:45   Link #77
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Really.. not participating in Earth Day has nothing to do with you being less sacrifice for the Earth than others, when it comes to making people aware like you've said Oprah had more effect on me than even Earth Day cause she actually did something useful in her show, let them hand out energy saving light bulbs or portable cords that you can turn off that would have more effect than this (or lower the prices on them >.< )
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 01:20   Link #78
Clarste
Human

You can't save the Earth because it's not in danger. It's a big ball of rock covered with algae (life), basically. The algae are changing the temperature in small but significant ways, but its not like that hasn't happened before. Some of the algae will die, others will live on. Heck, maybe it'll flourish even better in the new environment. The idea that the Earth we grew up on is the "correct" Earth and that we should fight to preserve the status quo is nothing but arrogant anthropocentrism.

On the other hand, creating an environment where humans can live is a goal in its own. Don't claim you're doing it for the Earth though. The Earth doesn't care.

Edit: Call it "humanity hour," not "Earth hour."

Edit: Oh yeah, and where does fossil fuel come from? It comes from dead plants and animals from millions of years ago. All the carbon we're releasing was already in the atmosphere in the first place. Plants removed it and turned it into organic compounds which later got buried for a variety of reasons. We're returning Earth to its original state, more than anything else. That's not to say its a good thing though, since everything alive has been adapted to this situation for quite a while (except deep sea geothermal life, which couldn't care less).
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 08:57   Link #79
KimmyChan

I'm afraid to say that although I knew of it happening, I never actually did it

I did want to though, just never actually remembered to :P
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 09:01   Link #80
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

I suddenly felt the urge to post this from the NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/ma...heretic&st=cse

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)