AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-30, 10:41   Link #81
Cinocard

What is it about? I won't read a 5000-word-text without knowing what it is beforehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
You can't save the Earth because it's not in danger. It's a big ball of rock covered with algae (life), basically. The algae are changing the temperature in small but significant ways, but its not like that hasn't happened before. Some of the algae will die, others will live on. Heck, maybe it'll flourish even better in the new environment. The idea that the Earth we grew up on is the "correct" Earth and that we should fight to preserve the status quo is nothing but arrogant anthropocentrism.

On the other hand, creating an environment where humans can live is a goal in its own. Don't claim you're doing it for the Earth though. The Earth doesn't care.
The Earth doesn't have a brain, It doesn't think, how is it supposed to care? It is us humanity who defines the Earth what it is. And we will protect that ideal Earth we define.

Last edited by Cinocard; 2009-03-30 at 12:07.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 11:58   Link #82
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
What is it about? I won't read a 5000-word-text without knowing what it is beforehand
If you read the first segment of the article then you know and then you can understand what Clarste actually means without labelling it as sarcasm
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 13:53   Link #83
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
If people practiced Earth Hour every day and replaced those old-fashioned light bulbs with CCFL light bulbs and turn off appliances and electronics that people are not using... sure it will reduced the energy wasted and try to offset global warming, but there's one problem... Even if people practiced Earth Hour every day, there is still the problem with Power Plants that still use polluting fossil fuels, air-polluting factories and SUVs that have poor gas milage.

Until everyone adopts renewable power or nuclear power (although there is a risk of nuclear meltdown) , fuel-efficient/alternative fuel vehicles, stop air/water pollution from factories, and stop cutting forests down, global climate change will still continue. People need to spread the world that this danger is real and people need to take action and adopt power saving, environmentally friendly technologies in their home and stop using gas guzzling Hummers or SUVs. Earth Hour won't help unless they spread the facts about the dangers of climate change.
Old 2009-03-30, 14:46   Link #84
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Until everyone adopts renewable power or nuclear power (although there is a risk of nuclear meltdown).
That should not be a too big issue actually. The real issue is the radioactive waste... the US have an interesting way to get rid of a part of it. They use depleted uranium ammo in their wars.
Now since most developped countries do not have such a convenient method of waste disposal (ethical reasons), the radioactive waste will pile up in temporary/intermediate radioactive dump sites.

The main problem with the radioactive waste is keeping it consealed and away from nearby residents. Furthermore it should be guarded because of possible misuse (terrorist dirty bombs for example).
Old 2009-03-30, 14:58   Link #85
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
That should not be a too big issue actually. The real issue is the radioactive waste... the US have an interesting way to get rid of a part of it. They use depleted uranium ammo in their wars.
Now since most developped countries do not have such a convenient method of waste disposal (ethical reasons), the radioactive waste will pile up in temporary/intermediate radioactive dump sites.

The main problem with the radioactive waste is keeping it consealed and away from nearby residents. Furthermore it should be guarded because of possible misuse (terrorist dirty bombs for example).
Not to mention, Uranium Mining releases alot of Carbon Dioxide, which pretty much offset the advantages of using Nuclear Power. I agree that nuclear wastes is a big security risk and also disposing it is another problem, but Nuclear Power isn't a solution because it's downsides compared to renewable resources like Solar Power, Wind, Hydroelectric and Biofuel which doesn't have the problems with waste.
Old 2009-03-30, 15:11   Link #86
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Not sure if anyone has seen Planet Green on Discovery Channel with all its revolutionary Green Energy solutions.

There are lots of solutions and all of them are pretty crazy, but all calculated and tested, proven to work. The only things preventing them is funding, participation and not knowing whether the solutions will bring up new problems.

If we set up wind turbines everywhere on Earth, so much that it starts altering atmospheric air currents, it will lead to other atmospheric problems. Setting up lots of hydroelectic dams or just free suspended turbines, will definitely alter river currents, eventually affecting the seas and oceans.

Some others came up with cloud seeding and manipulation to block sunlight, but this would affect ocean temperatures to a certain extent. Then there was an orbital sun shade solution, but this could have unknown climate effects as well.

While we're trying to reduce carbon emissions, there's a whole lot of other problems that will still result in disaster.

That's why I've always thought the best solution is to develop more space technology to venture into space and colonise it, if humans really want to survive and have a future.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 15:27   Link #87
Cinocard

Quote:
That's why I've always thought the best solution is to develop more space technology to venture into space and colonise it, if humans really want to survive and have a future.
Let's the generation who don't watch gundam take care of that. We take care of whatever on Earth first

Honestly, as far as in the next 20-30 years, the most practical solution for energy issue is to reduce its consumption rate. Things like mass wind turbines, giant hydroelectric dams, cloud seeds, or orbital solar panels, it ain't likely to happen in the next 50 years or so. And no one wants to invest into something that they would have to wait for 50 years to have results

Last edited by Cinocard; 2009-03-30 at 17:13.
Old 2009-03-30, 15:29   Link #88
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
If we set up wind turbines everywhere on Earth, so much that it starts altering atmospheric air currents, it will lead to other atmospheric problems.
Another problem with wind turbines is that there is a possibility of birds crashing into them and die because of the blades of the wind turbines, and the risk is greater when it's close together. Also, it doesn't provide constant power since the winds speeds fluctuate, which means wind power is mainly suited for windy places.

People should adopt renewable fuels and also examine the disadvantages of each renewable energy. We just can't continue using power plants that use fossil fuels because it causes green house gasses, or the ice caps will just continue to melt instead of forming because they are vital to keeping the global climate in balance. Conserving energy also helps too...
Old 2009-03-30, 15:37   Link #89
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

From the Planet Green series they also talked about the best and most needed changes to improve energy conservation is actually to redesign houses and cars.

The houses nowadays are totally energy inefficient, from light bulbs emittign more heat than light, to windows and walls that do not keep heat in for heaters and keep the cold out for cold weather. There's all sorts of inefficiency in modern houses.

The first step could be wind turbines on skyscrapers, and solar energy conversion windows that also keeps heat in during winter.

Next the vehicles, mainly the burning of fossil fuels. Converting to cleaner fuel and ultimately hydrogen powered electric vehicles would cut emissions by a large chunk. The electrical energy charged from hydrogen fuel cells can even be fed back to the power grid of your home or the public grid using electric cables.

Or more efficient public transport could save energy as well.

Old 2009-03-30, 15:52   Link #90
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

The main problem with alternative-fuel vehicles is cost since it contains newer technology over the vehicle that uses fossil fuels and it takes years to have the alternative-fuel vehicles to pay back in savings, which is the main reason why people aren't adopting them. The prime example of this is Hybrid cars. When gas prices were over $4.00 dollars a gallon last summer, these hybrids were flying off lots, but now they aren't. If they lowered the costs of these alternative-fuel vehicles, yes, it will probably have a positive impact because more people would be using them, thus reducing the amount of CO2 emitted into the atmosphere.

Also, one company came out with a LED lit lightbulb which uses even less power (9 watts of power) than a CCFL and lasts 10 years opposed to 5 years , but they are expensive (it costs $120 for one lightbulb).

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-03-30 at 16:45.
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 16:53   Link #91
Bad wolf
Pacifist War Lord

Send a message via AIM to Bad wolf Send a message via MSN to Bad wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Bad wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Not sure if anyone has seen Planet Green on Discovery Channel with all its revolutionary Green Energy solutions.

There are lots of solutions and all of them are pretty crazy, but all calculated and tested, proven to work. The only things preventing them is funding, participation and not knowing whether the solutions will bring up new problems.

If we set up wind turbines everywhere on Earth, so much that it starts altering atmospheric air currents, it will lead to other atmospheric problems. Setting up lots of hydroelectic dams or just free suspended turbines, will definitely alter river currents, eventually affecting the seas and oceans.

Some others came up with cloud seeding and manipulation to block sunlight, but this would affect ocean temperatures to a certain extent. Then there was an orbital sun shade solution, but this could have unknown climate effects as well.

While we're trying to reduce carbon emissions, there's a whole lot of other problems that will still result in disaster.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned in that planet video but there's alway's 00's solar power ring of death, assuming we could come up with the funds to build it.
Colonizing space is also an idea, though we really lack the technology to do it atm since we'd have to either find ways to build oxygen/temprature/ect generation devices like on Bebop or put colonies in space which would cost buttloads of money to move it all to space.
Bad wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 17:05   Link #92
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad wolf View Post
I'm not sure if this was mentioned in that planet video but there's alway's 00's solar power ring of death, assuming we could come up with the funds to build it.
Colonizing space is also an idea, though we really lack the technology to do it atm since we'd have to either find ways to build oxygen/temprature/ect generation devices like on Bebop or put colonies in space which would cost buttloads of money to move it all to space.
They had orbital satellite solar panel arrays that beam microwaves down to concentration stations on Earth as one of the ideas.

But yea solar panel orbital rings would be one of the best solutions, but it would be too far into the future. Japan needs to get that orbital elevator up there first.

Old 2009-03-30, 18:01   Link #93
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Damn, people should just build their cities more efficiently so there's not such a big need for cars. everybody makes the mistake of wanting to live in royalty so they do stupid stuff like buy suburban homes many miles from work, SUVs, have all the lights on in their houses practically all the time (If people used electricity the way I do we wouldn't need fluorescent lights, which strain your eyes), and eating so much food (mostly cheap steroid-grown meat) that they become obese. And then these same people (yes many of them are so-called liberals) turn around and complain about the government going to war for oil, about population problems, and how not enough money is being spent on alternative resources to fuel their greed, and all kinds of other shit that is completely hypocritical.
Oh wait, the cities and suburbs have already been built so there's no way we can fix that...oops. Guess we wont have any real "earth hour" for a while.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 18:10   Link #94
Bad wolf
Pacifist War Lord

Send a message via AIM to Bad wolf Send a message via MSN to Bad wolf Send a message via Yahoo to Bad wolf
My friend from an e7 forum im'd me a related link I found interesting.
http://www.breathingearth.net/
statistics are scary
Bad wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 18:14   Link #95
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化

Quote:
statistics are scary
Yay! We're almost at 7 billion!
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 18:16   Link #96
Cinocard

Quote:
statistics are scary
Rep! A very interesting web page (and scary)
Old 2009-03-30, 18:23   Link #97
TechnoToy

I participated.

I talked with my parents for the hour.
TechnoToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 18:23   Link #98
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Really interesting lol, the only thing I knew was 4 babies are born every second.

But seeing China having 1 birth every 1.7s and 1 death every 3.4 is quite amazing.

Old 2009-03-30, 18:27   Link #99
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:

hydroelectric dams would be a very nice source of clean energy and it would be granted until the earth gets swallowed by a giant red star. Unfortunately they got many oppositions. Usually dams involve flooding of vast areas, the naturalists themselves try to oppose their construction in order to preserve forests and their ecosystem. It gets even worse if there are villages in the area, see the movie "Deliverance" or the sound novel/manga/anime "Higurashi no naku koro ni".
In other cases the dams became unpopular because of accidents that made water suddenly be released creating a sort of tsunami that killed thousands of people. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajont_Dam

Similar criticisms (but to a lesser extent) exist in the case of wind turbines that are been said to disrupt the natural landscapes. Sadly enough this time again naturalists are the first to oppose the means to obtain clean energy.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-30, 18:28   Link #100
danin8r44
The King of the Insane

Quote:
They had orbital satellite solar panel arrays that beam microwaves down to concentration stations on Earth as one of the ideas.

But yea solar panel orbital rings would be one of the best solutions, but it would be too far into the future. Japan needs to get that orbital elevator up there first.
Too much Gundam 00?
danin8r44 is offline   Reply With Quote