AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-05-01, 02:01   Link #1
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Deep and Insightful anime

How deep does an anime show such as Eva, Lain or any other groundbreaking anime need to be in order for it to be considered "deep"? I know it is entirely subjective and it may not be as "deep" as it seems but still it seems to be that there is lot of themes, references, philosophies and ideas in the show itself that makes it so powerful and insightful. However, it just seems that you can fanwank just about anything foction as log as it has "deep" stuff in it but as the title says, it is no substitute for reality and it only displays very little of the "real" world. I'll repeat the question the again, how deep does an anime show such as Eva, Lain or any other groundbreaking anime need to be in order for it to be considered "deep"?
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 03:08   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 28
Just deep enough that a good portion of the viewers don't know what the hell is going on. That's all it takes, I think.

Seriously though, your question doesn't really make much sense. If an anime is thought-provoking, it's thought-provoking. There isn't some invisible scale of metaphor or philosophy the needs tip to suddenly make an anime "deep." It is that if someone calls it that--and most people only call a thing "deep" because they don't know what else to call something that seems be going over their head.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 03:19   Link #3
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I usually translate "deep" as how much something personally affects you, because that's what it is. If someone doesn't find an anime deep but you do, then chances are they just didn't connect with the anime and not because he or she is stupid. This is why I disagree with "deep" meaning "most people won't understand." I'll list some examples of anime I think as deep and some people will surely disagree with something.

Haibane Renmei
Clannad: Tomoyo OVA
Cardcaptor Sakura
Elfen Lied
SaiKano

Is Lain deep? Probably. Not to me though. I was too bored to think too hard so I didn't "get" it. I also dislike Akira, FLCL, because those are not my style. I watch anime to enjoy it, not think about how deep it is and reflect on my past sins. I don't really consider NGE thought-provoking...

In summary, to me "deep" is personal matter and a consensus might offend many, including me.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 03:31   Link #4
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
I guess the idea of deep and insightful varies on the individual viewer. So, my good recommendations may not be considered as such by other individuals.

Gundam 00: The anime especially the second season made me think about the issue of the Middle East deeply and it has also slightly altered my perspective. I am more sympathetic to the people of the Middle East.

Gundam Wing: The anime questions the reality of pacifism, as well as the truth of the relationship in regards to that of a colony and the colonizer. However, like other Gundam animes, it is not evident to most typical anime audiences. On the contrary, I think lots of people have seen through it as well. There were many instances of metaphors. However, if you think watching an anime of politics and warfare is boring, then you got the wrong idea. There are lots of mechas and also an awesome soundtrack to go with it.
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 03:31   Link #5
Sheba
*singing In the Navy*
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Naval Base partying with the Sendai sisters
Age: 34
I personally think that the movie "Akira" is in this category too. And Otomo did the trick w/o philosophical rambling :3
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 06:15   Link #6
ddwkc
Lone Wolf
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brazil
Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
Dunno how to classify "deep". To me if I can see different "layers" of complexity of character, reference, story, etc. it's deep in my book. Specially when I rewatch the same anime and still get a refreshing new insight in it.

Shows like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Mushishi, and Monster are deep IMHO.
__________________
Eo tempore, cum tibi occuri,
Mihi vita laeta fuit,
Cum autem te nusquam conspexi,
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
ddwkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 09:36   Link #7
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Ikki Tousen of course...

Eh, no. It would be

Elfenlied, Gunslinger Girl and Noir, I think.
__________________
Hs Vi Germania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 10:55   Link #8
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
I pondered a bit on Gunslinger Girl, because while it is definitely thought-provoking, it's quite clear what the underlying message is, at least for me.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 16:09   Link #9
Ender!
Spiral
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York
Age: 23
Send a message via AIM to Ender! Send a message via MSN to Ender!
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann made me believe there was an omnipotent being somewhere out there just waiting for Earth's spiral power to reach a certain level until they come and wreck complete despair all over our planet, solar system, and galaxy. I think we need to get a bigger drill...
__________________
Ender! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 18:12   Link #10
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
I pondered a bit on Gunslinger Girl, because while it is definitely thought-provoking, it's quite clear what the underlying message is, at least for me.
Probably I understood "deep" wrong...
__________________
Hs Vi Germania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 18:32   Link #11
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Or maybe my definition is just different from yours. =/ Deep is such a vague word~
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 18:47   Link #12
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Or maybe my definition is just different from yours. =/ Deep is such a vague word~

Highly probable. ^.^
__________________
Hs Vi Germania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 18:58   Link #13
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
There are no deep anime.
Kimura sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 21:25   Link #14
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Right behind you.
Age: 26
I always thought the ideas put forth by Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex were pretty deep. It always on some levels asked us, "what makes us human?" or "what is the soul?", especially when taking into account advanced levels of AI and the fact that most people had prosthetic bodies and/or cyberbrains.

I can't believe no one mentioned it yet.
__________________
Spectacular_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 21:49   Link #15
LeviathanDarkly
ℳℴℯ❤
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 24
You want DEEP, ha?
People are so stupid, lol.
LeviathanDarkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 22:02   Link #16
jagass
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
It's just right...
__________________
Music is my LIFE!!!
jagass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 22:46   Link #17
Waking_Dreamer
Dreamer King
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: lost - with no intention to be found...
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
I always thought the ideas put forth by Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex were pretty deep. It always on some levels asked us, "what makes us human?" or "what is the soul?", especially when taking into account advanced levels of AI and the fact that most people had prosthetic bodies and/or cyberbrains.

I can't believe no one mentioned it yet.
haha going thought the post one by one and I was also surprised no one had mentioned Ghost in the Shell, and I was enthusiastically prepared to post that till I saw your post. Cut a lot of enthusiasm out of my eagerness to post...Fully agree though.

To an extent FMA first series was thought-provoking. Have to appreciate how they weaved their own direction without further material from the manga. I especially like the whole Sloth confrontation with Ed...now that was intense and thought-provoking. The fixing their mistakes...mortality...the right to live...what is the essence of a person...their identity...their soul..
__________________

All current Sig & Avy images coloured by me / Waking Dreams Studios
Waking_Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 04:31   Link #18
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviathanDarkly View Post
You want DEEP, ha?
People are so stupid, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura sensei View Post
There are no deep anime.
Anyway the thread missed its true target.
A third don't believe in "deeps" of animes, a third don't know how understand the "deepness" because it's a unclear word and the rest is unsure about what is "deep" and what not.
__________________
Hs Vi Germania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 11:42   Link #19
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
It makes me sad how we can't have a discussion without some people out there having to act smart and post saying everyone else who participated in this thread is stupid. I thank everyone else who are not condescending towards others in this thread.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 12:36   Link #20
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
I feel most anime is intended to entertain us, while giving us something to think about. It is apparent that we perceive this notion of “deepness” because it came about from the anime we watch. Some writers intend for some anime to keep us thinking while some anime are created merely for entertainment and fun. And yes, some anime do keep us thinking, hence we call them deep. But keep in mind it is as deep as the person perceives it and also how well the writer executes his or her presentation and intentions.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.