AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-05-04, 05:27   Link #2221
DRAGUN H.E.X.
miniskirt pirate Iori Sei
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: brunei darusalam
Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
From Matsumoto Noriyuki [pixiv]

Spoiler for Bentenmaru and Silent Whisper Novel Version:
So the spaceship behind Chiaki on novel vol 3 cover is the Silent Whisper.
is there any reason why they changed the Bentenmaru's design into some oldschool 1960's & 70's retro sci-fi rocket-thing? thought i think the animated version is more distinctive & iconic looking, the novel version looks like something out of Babylon 5
__________________
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
DRAGUN H.E.X. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 05:40   Link #2222
justpassingby
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
is there any reason why they changed the Bentenmaru's design into some oldschool 1960's & 70's retro sci-fi rocket-thing? thought i think the animated version is more distinctive & iconic looking, the novel version looks like something out of Babylon 5
- Because Sasamoto said to the anime production team that they can do whatever they want
- According to Naohiro-shi, it was hard to draw Bentenmaru because the details are scanty (more like scattered around the novels IMO).

And more from Matsomoto Noriyuki, Chimaera of Skylla. It is Müller's ship, as seen behind her on novel vol 6 cover.
Spoiler for Chimaera of Skylla キミーラ・オブ・スキュラ:
__________________
一生 忘れられないよ ずっとずっと 大事な贈り物
一生 忘れられないよ きっときっと こいつは宝物
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 07:37   Link #2223
encia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GMT 10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
is there any reason why they changed the Bentenmaru's design into some oldschool 1960's & 70's retro sci-fi rocket-thing? thought i think the animated version is more distinctive & iconic looking, the novel version looks like something out of Babylon 5
Anime Bentenmaru's design seems to follows Star Trek's style warp/FTL nacelles and large forward deflector/shield/subspace emitters.

Spoiler for ..:

Last edited by encia; 2012-05-04 at 08:10.
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 08:31   Link #2224
justpassingby
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Age: 29
Back in February I think, someone commented on twitter (#mo_retsu) about Bentenmaru looks like the Lockheed L-1011 TriStar series. Maybe because of the upper cylinder part

IMO, the impression I got from the novels is that the ships during Hakuchou-Gou (Odette II, 200 years ago) are "Ships", and during the Bentenmaru era (120 years ago) the ships are "Submarines", while the latest generation of ships like Chimaera of Skylla (20 years ago) are "Stealth Aircrafts". Of course, the Silent Whisper is a Reconnaissance Craft which utilizes the miniaturization of FTL engines.

Edit: On not-so related notes, Mikako-shi is voicing Ittousai in Sengoku Collection. I think that how Marika will sound if she's a blood-thirsty pirate . I'll probably follow the anime if she's a recurring character.
__________________
一生 忘れられないよ ずっとずっと 大事な贈り物
一生 忘れられないよ きっときっと こいつは宝物

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-05-04 at 17:04.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 10:45   Link #2225
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Watched the first 6 episodes. Damn, the setting is well thought out.

- Colonies surrender to superior space fleet.
- conditions of peace treaty lets them keep their military strength and all units when the treaty was signed. Empire didn't take into account pirate ships and worded treaty vaguely.
- Empire rolls its eyes and lets the pirate ships slide since they are "privateers.'
- in order to maintain max number of ships, they exploit a loophole in their privateer law for generations
- pirates are sort of "government special forces" that make money on the side entertaining tourists in their sector of space. Government needs them to maintain the "pirate facade" so the government can use them for official business and keep a max number of combat space ships.
Welcome Aboard mechalord!

I'm sure you'll find this series as entertaining as the rest with it's heavy sci-fi elements I know that there will be some parts where it feels like it's dragging but stick with it.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 10:46   Link #2226
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 346Pro
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Anime Bentenmaru's design seems to follows Star Trek's style warp/FTL nacelles and large forward deflector/shield/subspace emitters.

Spoiler for ..:
So you are effectively saying, the directors dropped the cool-ass USS Defiant-like design, for the dinky Constitution? Damn Shatner!!
__________________
白露型駆逐艦の4番艦、夕立です。第三次ソロモン海戦では、けっこう頑張ったっぽい★?
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 12:12   Link #2227
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Hard to deny the classics.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 12:15   Link #2228
BBOvenGuy
Author-type person
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ventura County CA
Age: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Mini-skirts in space wouldn't be out of place in Star Trek.
"Wouldn't be out of place?" Lieutenant Uhura was a mini-skirted space pirate 40 years ago, at least for that one episode where they went to the mirror-universe.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 14:14   Link #2229
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42° 10' N (Latitude) 87° 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 36
Captain Marika: "Helmsman. Set course for the Space University. Warp 6."

Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 14:21   Link #2230
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Captain Marika: "Helmsman. Set course for the Space University. Warp 6."

San Dai Me: Alpha and Beta are at its limits, I'm sorry captain, but I'm an engineer, not a magician.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 14:24   Link #2231
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Back in February I think, someone commented on twitter (#mo_retsu) about Bentenmaru looks like the Lockheed L-1011 TriStar series. Maybe because of the upper cylinder part
They're on the right track, but I think the DC-10 would be a better match, but only because the upper engine is completely out of the fuselage whereas with the L-1011, the intake is above the fuselage, but the exhaust is inside the fuselage.

1st Officer Chiaki: Scanning for yuri now, Captain!

Endless "Technicalities" Soul
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 14:32   Link #2232
Julio C
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Santa Barbara
Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Watched the first 6 episodes. Damn, the setting is well thought out.

- Colonies surrender to superior space fleet.
- conditions of peace treaty lets them keep their military strength and all units when the treaty was signed. Empire didn't take into account pirate ships and worded treaty vaguely.
- Empire rolls its eyes and lets the pirate ships slide since they are "privateers.'
- in order to maintain max number of ships, they exploit a loophole in their privateer law for generations
- pirates are sort of "government special forces" that make money on the side entertaining tourists in their sector of space. Government needs them to maintain the "pirate facade" so the government can use them for official business and keep a max number of combat space ships.
Glad to see somebody else is picking up this show, it's never too late to join.
__________________
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 17:14   Link #2233
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 34
And so I finally watched Episode 17, and that was an amazing episode. That Big Damn Kiss between Jenny and Lynn. Oh yeah, my yuri goggles went off the scale. Chiaki obviously was annoyed that she hadn't gotten the chance to do that with Marika, and so she turned away. Gruelle and Grunhilde's reactions were priceless.

So Jenny's company, Fairy Jane, is one of the fastest growing ones, eh? Show is definately right. In 10 years or even five years, Marika & Jenny are both going to be scary. I wouldn't be surprised if Fairy Jane wound up one of the Bentenmaru's biggest clients. The thought of Fairy Jane badass CEO Jenny Dolittle and future Space Admiral Marika Katou joining forces would put make many awestruck.

So I am thrilled that Jenny and Lynn are a canon lesbian couple, and I really hope that Chiaki gets her woman before the end of this series. Episode 18 looks like its gonna be very interesting, and I hope that once the anime original stories start, Jenny somehow gets to do things with Marika around Space University, like go to the Space University Beach. (I don't know if they have a beach around there, but I demand to see Jenny in a swimsuit.)
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 17:21   Link #2234
encia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GMT 10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
"Wouldn't be out of place?" Lieutenant Uhura was a mini-skirted space pirate 40 years ago, at least for that one episode where they went to the mirror-universe.
JJ Adams' StarTrek 2009 also has mini-skirts uniforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Captain Marika: "Helmsman. Set course for the Space University. Warp 6."

Perhaps, Space University for Marika in Mouretsu Pirates season 2 ...
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 17:31   Link #2235
BBOvenGuy
Author-type person
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ventura County CA
Age: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
JJ Adams' StarTrek 2009 also has mini-skirts uniforms.
Oh yes, just like in the original. Perhaps I should have clarified that Uhura was in a miniskirt all the time, but she was only a miniskirt pirate when she went to the mirror universe.

I also remember the episode of Deep Space Nine when they inserted themselves into the original "Trouble With Tribbles" episode, and Sisko's reaction when he saw Dax in the old Trek miniskirt.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 18:24   Link #2236
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42° 10' N (Latitude) 87° 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by encia View Post
Perhaps, Space University for Marika in Mouretsu Pirates season 2 ...
Wait... Wait. Hold on. Let me catch my breath after I faint.

Needs moar spin-offs!!
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 18:29   Link #2237
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Captain Marika: "Helmsman. Set course for the Space University. Warp 6."

My reaction when reading this is another show. Nyarko-san. Sticking "space" in front of anything automatically makes it legit. Space CQC, Space Kindergarten... they probably do have a Space University. The shows exist in different enough universes (and galaxies) that such a crossover wouldn't make much sense...

But that's why I want to make it happen.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 18:32   Link #2238
SQA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Oh yes, just like in the original. Perhaps I should have clarified that Uhura was in a miniskirt all the time, but she was only a miniskirt pirate when she went to the mirror universe.

I also remember the episode of Deep Space Nine when they inserted themselves into the original "Trouble With Tribbles" episode, and Sisko's reaction when he saw Dax in the old Trek miniskirt.
Are we all forgetting the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation? They had *guys* walking around in skirts. Marika is slightly overdressed for the ST:TNG universe, haha.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-04, 21:04   Link #2239
encia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GMT 10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
Are we all forgetting the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation? They had *guys* walking around in skirts. Marika is slightly overdressed for the ST:TNG universe, haha.
He might be from Scotland....
encia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-05, 01:11   Link #2240
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 346Pro
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Captain Marika: "Helmsman. Set course for the Space University. Warp 6."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
San Dai Me: Alpha and Beta are at its limits, I'm sorry captain, but I'm an engineer, not a magician.
In before some ship from the 25th century tumbles through a temporal anomaly at Warp 13:

Spoiler for HUGE:


__________________
白露型駆逐艦の4番艦、夕立です。第三次ソロモン海戦では、けっこう頑張ったっぽい★?

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-05-05 at 20:04. Reason: Please use thumbnails where available...
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.