AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-15, 00:26   Link #401
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm enjoying this series - the characters are likable, and Satelight as much as any studio really has a visual style that shows off the talent and love of its individual artists. But there's really not much "bodacious" about it yet. For a show about pirates it's amazingly vanilla so far, including the pirates we've met. I'm fine with a slow buildup, but I'm just about ready for a little swashbuckling.
I completely agree with this.

My only complaint so far is that the plot is a tad bit slower than I'd like. But at least there is, in fact, a plot, and it clearly takes itself seriously. That's very good to see, imo.

I like how this anime cares about its characters, and also gives me the impression of having a real story to tell. There's much more to this than just spectacle and spice.

But a little bit of swashbuckling spectacle next episode wouldn't hurt, agreed.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 00:36   Link #402
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
I really like how the girls are all experienced in running a ship.

I bet you the club is going to take the Odette II into battle later on in the series...
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 01:09   Link #403
Random Wanderer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
Mini-skirt space pirates, with no panty flashes kinda misleading
Actually, there has been one so far, in the first episode. Almost everyone has missed it, and that's not surprising. It's so quick, and in the middle of a very dynamic movement by the character in question, that it's not a "blink and you'll miss it" but rather a "even if you don't blink, you'll probably miss it."

Divine caught it, here. I went back and replayed that scene several times, and even knowing what to look for I can't catch it without slowing down the player.

Quote:
I really like how the girls are all experienced in running a ship.
Clearly they've actually spent some time training and learning how to run that ship. It seemed like it was going to be a joke, with how the door to the bridge opened and there were alarms going off and girls flying every which way, but they got things under control rather quickly. I like it.

I also like what I've seen of that club president of theirs.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 01:20   Link #404
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Because nothing says mother-daughter bonding like shooting tanks with beam cannons.
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 01:53   Link #405
Slick_rick
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Surprising good so far. I was worried this might turn out to be a show where the premise of a ship full of girls in outer space was just an excuse for a bunch of shallow ecchi scenes to hide a limited plot and little characterization.

So far though it's taking itself seriously and has put forth some interesting and likable characters. Marika and Chiaki seems to be the central characters and form the main relationship that will probably drive the show. Both seem to compliment each other well and their interactions are currently the best part of the show. Marika and her also have a lot of potential mentors like her mother and the crew of the Bentenmaru to teach her the things she needs to know for later on. It will interesting to see how the girls and the Bentenmaru crew interact later on. I imagine they might be some dissension to her being in command.

The plot is promising. We only have an inkling of what is going but it's enough to at least tease you with possibilities. Beyond becoming a pirate we don't know the sort of adventures that will await Marika. Chiaki seems the biggest mystery right now; figuring out what role she has to play. Will she join Marika or will she become a rival? They seem to work well together so hopefully they will be on the same side. Hopefully though soon we have sight of the larger plot to the show.
__________________
Slick_rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 01:58   Link #406
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 33
Much as it might sound redundant for me to add my own thoughts on this ep, but I think things are proceeding quite nicely so far.

I appreciate the time being taken to build things, and hope that a good degree of control over the series' pacing will continue through the end of this season.

(And if the show is successful enough, and the material covered from the source material has enough legs left in it, why not let things get picked up again in a second season?)
__________________
Nerroth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 02:13   Link #407
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Actually, there has been one so far, in the first episode. Almost everyone has missed it, and that's not surprising. It's so quick, and in the middle of a very dynamic movement by the character in question, that it's not a "blink and you'll miss it" but rather a "even if you don't blink, you'll probably miss it."

Divine caught it, here.
The link you provided has a message about no hotlinking, so I took the liberty of taking my own screenshot, which can be seen here. Yes, even if you dudn't blink, chances are you missed it. It's that fast.

Spoiler for Chiaki's fanservice:


Anyhow, I'm liking this series more and more. I'm also liking how Marika and Chiaki are adapting to each other and thinking alike. That's going to come in handy later.

I have to admit I'm quite taken with Chiaki. ~swoon~

Spoiler for Yes, my Queen:


Endless "The Power of Pirates" Soul
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 02:21   Link #408
Random Wanderer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
The link you provided has a message about no hotlinking, so I took the liberty of taking my own screenshot, which can be seen here.
Oh bleh. I thought I'd gotten past that. Oh well, live and learn.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 02:31   Link #409
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: edge of my dream in the land of twilight...ZzzZzZ
The second episode was good, it was better than the first one because I felt it was rather slow in introductions and getting the plot going.

I'm amazed at Chiaki's miraculous ability to save the main heroine and dessert at the same time. I had to do a double take when I saw that she was stilling eating her yummy parfait after running around from the chaos zone. I fear for the world if anyone where to disturb her while she's snacking.

Wow, I expect the mother and daughter bonding scene to be something a father and his child would. Little hand held beam weapons that punch through a tank or the hull of two old ships is kind of over kill, heh. I imagine then that ship weapons are on the scale of WMDs?
__________________
Wandering_Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 02:44   Link #410
TurkeyPotPie
fushigi ojisan
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Even the fanservice in this show is old school. Not that I'm complaining, but this really feels like an anime that would have been made 10-15 years ago. Is this going to be two cour? It's taking its sweet time getting up to speed, but I've missed this sort of pacing since most shows were reduced to cramming everything into a single cour.
TurkeyPotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 03:47   Link #411
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Even the fanservice in this show is old school. Not that I'm complaining, but this really feels like an anime that would have been made 10-15 years ago. Is this going to be two cour? It's taking its sweet time getting up to speed, but I've missed this sort of pacing since most shows were reduced to cramming everything into a single cour.
Yup, this anime is going to be Two-cour.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 04:48   Link #412
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Why does Chiaki remind me of Homura Akemi?

I was initially a skeptic when I first heard of this anime, but the first two episodes and their strong beginnings hooked me in and converted me.

I wonder though, are Privateers primarily traders which engage in the occasional looting of certain valid targets..... certainly, judging by our MC's Mother, it seems that she is a women of some influence and respect....

I wonder what she works as...
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 05:17   Link #413
totoum
Oppai warrior
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurkeyPotPie View Post
Even the fanservice in this show is old school. Not that I'm complaining, but this really feels like an anime that would have been made 10-15 years ago.
You know what adds to that feeling?The male narrator that we hear in the intro as well as the previews.
We don't hear much of that these days.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 07:01   Link #414
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Why does Chiaki remind me of Homura Akemi?

I was initially a skeptic when I first heard of this anime, but the first two episodes and their strong beginnings hooked me in and converted me.

I wonder though, are Privateers primarily traders which engage in the occasional looting of certain valid targets..... certainly, judging by our MC's Mother, it seems that she is a women of some influence and respect....

I wonder what she works as...
Occasional? You should read about the age of piracy privateering is practically an industry.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 07:03   Link #415
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Learning how to shoot and handle weapons was fun to watch.
The electronic warfare sure showed she is a true captain in heart.
All in all, a pretty nice episode.
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 07:19   Link #416
novalysis
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Occasional? You should read about the age of piracy privateering is practically an industry.
I am well aware about that. But, the subtext of the plot seems to imply that piracy by that point of time was the stuff of history, and rare. So, the main question is, what targets to these Privateers now are able to strike at, and what are their normal activities? Since I'd imagine that were they marauders striking at every target of opportunity, they'd be considered a diplomatic embarrassment, thanks to a still valid Letter of Marquee for a war long over.

But as it is, it appears that these men and women are treated with quite alot of respect- which seems to imply that they are engaged in certain activities considered both legitimate and heroic in the eyes of the Planetary Government. And one which seems to be quite prosperous normally wouldn't be likely to tolerate a marauder striking at ever target of opportunity. Which implies that piracy is only something judiciously executed on certain parties that are really asking for it, or have slighted or made enemies of the Planetary Government somehow.

I suspect that the vessel is principally engaged in Trading, and privateering is an extra-ordinary action executed rarely.

But then again, that's just Speculah
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 09:07   Link #417
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Actually I can see the war not officially declared over. Something like the status of the Koreas or China concerning Taiwan.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 11:17   Link #418
CWW
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I don't know whether I should take this show seriously or not. They take their time to do preflight checks and to prevent cyber attacks, but then they wear skirts in zero gravity. I can understand the hair, since I assume it'd take too much effort to animate, but skirts in outer space seems like an oversight. Or the best idea ever depending on who you ask. The bridge is also purple and pink.

More importantly, this show is boring and not at all bodacious. I hope it picks up soon, because it's almost lost me.
CWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 13:25   Link #419
Rayrah
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Send a message via MSN to Rayrah
Ugh, I really hope this show picks up soon because I want to like it, but I found episode 2 to be rather meh; I wouldn't go as far as to call it 'boring' because I did enjoy some scenes. One particular scene I found interesting was the one in which Ririka teaches Marika about weapons, how most fights are decided before they even begin, and the power that pirates possess.
Rayrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 13:47   Link #420
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maine
Age: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
I am well aware about that. But, the subtext of the plot seems to imply that piracy by that point of time was the stuff of history, and rare. So, the main question is, what targets to these Privateers now are able to strike at, and what are their normal activities? Since I'd imagine that were they marauders striking at every target of opportunity, they'd be considered a diplomatic embarrassment, thanks to a still valid Letter of Marquee for a war long over.

But as it is, it appears that these men and women are treated with quite alot of respect- which seems to imply that they are engaged in certain activities considered both legitimate and heroic in the eyes of the Planetary Government. And one which seems to be quite prosperous normally wouldn't be likely to tolerate a marauder striking at ever target of opportunity. Which implies that piracy is only something judiciously executed on certain parties that are really asking for it, or have slighted or made enemies of the Planetary Government somehow.

I suspect that the vessel is principally engaged in Trading, and privateering is an extra-ordinary action executed rarely.

But then again, that's just Speculah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Actually I can see the war not officially declared over. Something like the status of the Koreas or China concerning Taiwan.
That actually is an interesting question. In history, whenever war broke out, governments signed up as many privateers as they could to interdict shipping. When peace was declared, many of those privateers simply moved into ordinary piracy and became the enemies of everyone.

It's clear that privateering isn't a widespread industry any more, since after all Marika hasn't even heard of them (which is honestly kind of weird--she's a high-school student and hasn't had a basic course in the history of the founding of her own independent planetary government yet? Though I suppose most U.S. high school students couldn't talk about the role they played in the Revolutionary War, either...). The "Letter of Marque" would only allow them to attack shipping from other nations (or a specific rival nation), if it was comparable to those in history. So whom do they attack and why is it tolerated is a good question.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.