AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-05, 00:09   Link #1301
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Well the thing is huge, with the likely multiple towns worth of people inside (perhaps multiple Macross City sized towns depending on just how huge). A lot are in cold sleep, but it is also possible that some are not and living like a giant multiple generation ship. In which case, they are probably bored and spend time modding the ship. They might even be expanding the ship due to an increase in population, and the cylinders looked larger than the original look.
Seeing how far apart many star systems are, they would have a lot of time on their hands to do things like mod the ship for the increasing population since if some of the people were not "in status" and they were plenty of men and women aboard, biological urges would need to be dealt with. Yeah, considering that the closest star to our solar system in 4.3 light years away, I can imagine the trip from Earth to some point in the Alpha Centuri binary star system would take a long time. If they could manage 1/2 light speed, there's still about 8 years there. (Tau Ceti is about 12 light years from Earth so you would need some sort of generation ship for the time it would take). When some future generation gets to going to different stars, it will be somewhat like how slowly ships sailed in the Age of Discovery only instead of 3 months to go 2,000 miles, it would take them 6 months to go 1 AU. I sort of envy those descendants of ours that will have the chance to be the first permanent Martians or whatever. I will very likely need a walker by the time colonization of nearby planets(or planetoids and satellites) gets underway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
I can't believe people are still arguing the toss over the damn skirts!
Clearly they are all using the ninja technique practised by Agiri from Kill Me Baby which lets your skirt stay in place even when upside down.

Now let's discuss the plot, which is distinctly thickening.

Loved the idea of the generation ship, seem to recall a science fiction story about a generation ship sent off to colonise a distant star, only for the people who sent it to then invent FTL, so that by the time the generation ship arrives, the planet is already colonised.
Yes, but would space ninjas share their secrets with their natural archenemies, the space pirates?

I also love the idea of generation ships. I remember reading an older sci-fi story where the descendants of colonists on a generation ship fell into tribalism and there was this huge jungle and things, and they didn't even know that there were on a hugh spaceship.

If there are people still on that "golden ghost ship", I wonder if Marika and company will even be able to handle it if the people are like Bronze-age nomads and such. Or they could have a completely different point of view like a 21st Century banker talking to a 17th Century sea merchant.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 00:17   Link #1302
Shimapan
Try me! <3
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
And so, the anime's creators were faced with a problem: the source material requires the girls to be wearing skirts, and be in zero-g, but it's not the sort of series that would work with the panty shots that would normally create.
You can repeat that ludicrous explanation attempt as often as you want, that still doesn't make it any less ludicrous and stupid

This is not about panty shots working or not working in the series (they already had a Chiaki panty shot in the first episode.)
This is solely about animators being too lazy to animate stuff properly. Or in the case of outsourcing, as many animation is outsourced nowadays: it would've cost more money to have the skirts properly animated.
"Now, do we pay the money to have the skirts properly animated, or do we pull a cheap one and use static skirts, and spend the money saved on cheap sake and girls?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
However, we all know that Dark Queen Chiaki has... deep feelings for Marika, but when it comes to getting the job done, just how far will she go? What will you do, Chiaki-chan?

Spoiler for How deep is your love?:
Fight for your love, Chiaki-chan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Now, given the size of this ghost ship -- and people able to actually do some guess work on its course -- I am actually skeptical about it being hidden for 200+ years. But, looking at the preview of the next episode - the idea can make sense.
That seems fishy to me as well... but hey, perhaps they did paint it pink and installed a "Somebody Else's Problem"-field on it, and that's why no one could find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Naturally. Likewise, any story involving space -- well -- a writer can pretty much do anything.

But consider: 200 years. A vessel not even capable of light speed. How far can such a vessel travel in 200 years? Not even 200 light years. As large as space can be -- that range isn't very much.

And I'm assuming vessels in this series are capable of travel on the factor of "Warp". If not, then... alright... however, I cannot imagine a galactic empire not capable of traveling by multiple factors of light.

In addition, if you throw in phenomena like... dark nebulae or worm holes. Then, maybe I'll buy the idea of such a vessel getting lost.
True, it can't have come very far with sub-light aggregates only... unless it got swallowed by a wormhole to the Gamma quadrant and got in a fight with the Dominion.
__________________
Shimapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 00:24   Link #1303
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In a cruel yet beautiful world
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
This is solely about animators being too lazy to animate stuff properly. Or in the case of outsourcing, as many animation is outsourced nowadays: it would've cost more money to have the skirts properly animated.
"Now, do we pay the money to have the skirts properly animated, or do we pull a cheap one and use static skirts, and spend the money saved on cheap sake and girls?"
I dunno... I've seen plenty of people in the Animation department here at my school do girls in a variety of outfits in 2D -- it doesn't take as much effort to animate a skirt as you might be thinking it does, let alone would it have caused some sort of major spike in costs if they had decided to include it.
__________________
Kismet-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 01:01   Link #1304
Random Wanderer
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
You can repeat that ludicrous explanation attempt as often as you want, that still doesn't make it any less ludicrous and stupid
Now who's obviously not bothering to read someone's post? I've countered every excuse you gave for "other ways" they could have dealt with the issue. You're just so determined to call them lazy that you refuse to listen.

Two can play at not listening. Neither you, nor this topic you're stuck on are worth my time. I'm adding you to my Ignore list. Debating with you is clearly a waste, but if I keep seeing your posts I'll be compelled to argue anyway, and I'm sick of doing so. I think almost everyone else is sick of seeing people argue over this, too. So I'm stopping it the only way I believe I can, short of abandoning this entire thread in disgust.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 03:01   Link #1305
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Since the ship has been sighted several times, I would say that either it has been found and no one know what to do with it, or there is a reason to avoid the ship (like it is heavil armed or has a escort). Or simply there is nothing of real value there that can be moved (since it is a sublight craft, you can't just shipjack it and take it to the nearest star in a reasonable period of time.

Also it must be called a "ghost ship" for some reason.

Spoiler for Skirts and Kyoto Animation:


It looks like the Bentenmaru is going to get into a real fight next week. With one of those Escort type ships if I see it correctly in the preview. It might just be a warning, as they still give the impression that the Bentenmaru could easily take an escort type ship. I can't tell if she could have taken the entire Serenity Task Force of ecorts and a battleship (was it a battleship, or was that translated wrong, cause it didn't seem all that much more impressive than the Escorts. Maybe three times the guns, I'd need to examing the ships more.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 05:14   Link #1306
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
I know it may not be true... but seeing people argueing for "realistic skirts" just screams otaku calling for more panty shots. Almost like people are calling for anime to improve on their boob physics when tbh, there are better areas to improve on.
__________________
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 05:22   Link #1307
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42 10' N (Latitude) 87 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Yea. It was OK to make the skirt and fanservice arguments once. Like earlier in this thread. However, to be so persistent about it? There are some issues that need to be addressed.

Seriously. The skirt argument needs to be given up already. Move on, and quit being butthurt about it.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 10:01   Link #1308
CrowKenobi
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: there... just there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Seriously. The skirt argument needs to be given up already.
Indeed, let's stop with the circular and redundant argument and move on...
__________________



CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 21:30   Link #1309
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Since the ship has been sighted several times, I would say that either it has been found and no one know what to do with it, or there is a reason to avoid the ship (like it is heavil armed or has a escort). Or simply there is nothing of real value there that can be moved (since it is a sublight craft, you can't just shipjack it and take it to the nearest star in a reasonable period of time.

Also it must be called a "ghost ship" for some reason.

It looks like the Bentenmaru is going to get into a real fight next week. With one of those Escort type ships if I see it correctly in the preview. It might just be a warning, as they still give the impression that the Bentenmaru could easily take an escort type ship. I can't tell if she could have taken the entire Serenity Task Force of ecorts and a battleship (was it a battleship, or was that translated wrong, cause it didn't seem all that much more impressive than the Escorts. Maybe three times the guns, I'd need to examing the ships more.
It certainly will be interesting to see what they discover once they find the old colony ship. I suppose it could be something people have avoided for some reason(shipbound plague that killed people; people who "in status" and fundamentally different from the current generation of people in the Mouretsuverse). Of course it having no FTL engines could a reason why it's undisturbed(since as you say, you'd have to have some sort of traction beam technology to "tow" it and even then, FTL engines must be incompatible and if you just took control over the ship, it could take a long time to reach a suitable planet or space station to salvage the ship(if no longer has any people on board).

Since it seems the Serenity homeworld wants to be free of the Galactic Empire, perhaps the ship has some blueprints for Dangerous Forbidden Weapons of Mass Destruction. Or some information that will supply leverage that will embarrass the Empire into making the Serenity world completely independent.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 23:12   Link #1310
Shimapan
Try me! <3
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 31
...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
It certainly will be interesting to see what they discover once they find the old colony ship. I suppose it could be something people have avoided for some reason(shipbound plague that killed people; people who "in status" and fundamentally different from the current generation of people in the Mouretsuverse). Of course it having no FTL engines could a reason why it's undisturbed(since as you say, you'd have to have some sort of traction beam technology to "tow" it and even then, FTL engines must be incompatible and if you just took control over the ship, it could take a long time to reach a suitable planet or space station to salvage the ship(if no longer has any people on board).

Since it seems the Serenity homeworld wants to be free of the Galactic Empire, perhaps the ship has some blueprints for Dangerous Forbidden Weapons of Mass Destruction. Or some information that will supply leverage that will embarrass the Empire into making the Serenity world completely independent.
The ship won't have the moniker "ghost ship" for nothing. I think it's highly likely that the ship has some sort of disease on board, and an insidious one, at that. Perhaps it's similar to what happened in Egypt when the tombs of the pharaos were opened for the first time: after a while, the people were dying one after the other, with no one knowing why. So, a rumour about the ghosts of the pharaos haunting and killing them spread.
Only quite some time later it was discovered that it were nasty germs that infected the people, causing nasty diseases (which only showed after a long incubation time) and ultimately their death.

It could be quite similar here: people who have found the ship infected themselves with some nasty germs. The infection at first showed no traces, so there was no reason to check up the people who'd been there. Later then, all the people who had been to that ship were dying mysteriously, and a rumour went around that they were killed by the ghosts of the ship. That could also be why the ship was avoided later.

The actual reason for why the ship was avoided could've been forgotten over time, and only the "ghost" rumour stayed, making it a ghost ship. The ship must've something very valuable on board for Serenity to want it so badly. The "dangerous weapon" bit seems less likely to me, considering the age of the ship. Even if it was a very dangerous weapon at it's time, one must take it's age into account. It might not be very effective anymore against today's defense mechanisms. That makes the "embarrassing the Empire" bit all the more likely, quite possibly guaranteeing Serenity's independece, or at least facilitating it a good bit.
__________________

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-03-05 at 23:14. Reason: Drop it already...
Shimapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 23:41   Link #1311
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Golden Throne
Age: 28
So Serenity is a domicilary that has 7 planets under their charge? Something like a Baron/Baroness?

Also, what was the subs saying when it introduced the Serenity family? It got obscured by the title track of vlc player.
__________________

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-05, 23:59   Link #1312
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
I'm going to assume she has a relative on board the ghost ship for now. Maybe someone to let her live a more normal life and with more royals you can not be as worried about the next in line and some other things.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 04:18   Link #1313
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Ep9. Well within recent development, the princess probably will stick with us for another while. She seems to be not safe going back to the Palace.

That alone sparked up the big question: Does that mean Marika gonna expand her harem domain to royal families?
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 05:24   Link #1314
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42 10' N (Latitude) 87 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
That alone sparked up the big question: Does that mean Marika gonna expand her harem domain to royal families?
What? I must rewatch the episode for I feel as if I missed something important.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 05:58   Link #1315
justpassingby
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cyberjaya, Malaysia
Age: 28
From 2ch .
Spoiler for How do you feel? Hey, how do you feel?:

And I'm going to follow an advice from a poster: Let the episodes air first. Even if they skipped the explanation parts from the novel in the current episode, there's no guarantee that they will not cover them in the future episodes. The discussion should be on what the current episode has to offer. Though I think I already spoiled what is that Gruelle seeks from the ghost ship in form of a picture (I think it's in the promotional video)
__________________
一生 忘れられないよ ずっとずっと 大事な贈り物
一生 忘れられないよ きっときっと こいつは宝物

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-03-06 at 07:10.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 09:45   Link #1316
klare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
"Chiaki-chan" haha

a nice eps, next one seems to be all action
__________________
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 10:42   Link #1317
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Golden Throne
Age: 28
I really hope so, the last time we hoped for that we got a troll dream.
__________________

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 11:51   Link #1318
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Got this on another forum. It's all cheesy and such, but the line "Admit it ,this is what you really saw" just cracked me up
Spoiler for space:
__________________
risingstar3110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 14:42   Link #1319
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Judging by skin tone, Chiaki's been inside a spaceship for a while. She's really pale verse Marika who's been living planetside until recently.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-06, 15:26   Link #1320
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
Age: 46
OK, I'll admit it.
__________________
VF-19 and VF-22S from Macross Plus
Signature by ganbaru
Endless Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.