AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-08, 10:22   Link #1781
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I don't know why people are expressing surprise that Marika didn't think of the Yacht Club first; heck, the next episode preview itself gives the answer to that. You just know the high school girls are going to mess around with the Bentenmaru's systems, which will end up in a) the best case scenario, Coorie complaining about the numerous backdoors left in the mainframe by Lynn, or b) the worst case scenario, some joker on gunner duty accidentally putting a beam into their next cruise ship client.

Ascaloth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 10:24   Link #1782
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

I'm pretty sure Marika won't put any one near Tactical...

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 10:26   Link #1783
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
I'm pretty sure Marika won't put any one near Tactical...
She will have to put someone in Engineering though, and we all know that ramming always works.

Ascaloth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 11:30   Link #1784
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer

This explains where Marika's swagger comes from...

On Sickness: "Like someone filled my journal with junk data and then set it to defragment and gave me the lowest priority possible."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 11:34   Link #1785
Random Wanderer

Hopefully Mouretsu Pirates has a better ending.
Random Wanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 15:15   Link #1786
Dop
We can't stop here...

I still think it's a great shame they didn't go for having the head of the Harold Lloyd Insurance Company actually look like Harold Lloyd!

That would have been hilarious for those of us who get it.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 16:07   Link #1787
00Coyote

^The author using that specific name is amusing just by itself. I'd classify it as semi-obscure knowledge to someone in the US, unless you know a bit about film history.

Although, if Marika does meet Show in person one day, and they don't have a portrait of the founder in the background, I will be somewhat disappointed.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 19:50   Link #1788
chaos_animagic

BTW, I find it kinda funny that in order to "keep a Legal Pirate license"... you have to rob people... LOL (or do "Pirate" Jobs)

Encouraging Crimes for the Greater Good?

Also... I loved Gurier-hime's logic... being a Pirate Captain, you must wear Short Skirts... LOL

They're now really "Miniskirt Space Pirates"... LOL (gettting Pirated by bunch of School Girls... I wonder how it feels.... LOL)

Last edited by chaos_animagic; 2012-04-08 at 20:03.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 20:30   Link #1789
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
ANN is largely a wiki with editors. If we don't contribute, the info doesn't get updated. I still prefer it, for my purposes, since it presents the info I want in the simplest way. I'm just careful about what info I accept, as I am with every other site on the Net.

Episode totals are notoriously hard to get right. I trust the relentlessness blog, which infers totals from DVD offerings. He says 26 episodes.

By the way, since Komatsu Mikako, who plays Marika, has a single coming out next week (see Cosmic Eagle's post a while ago), there are new pics of her around. Such as these:

Her image song single is available from CDJapan, Amazon Japan, etc.
On that point I do agree wholeheartedly with those Nico Nico comments calling for a switch to Komatsu-san's music from MomoKuro
Old 2012-04-08, 20:44   Link #1790
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_animagic View Post
BTW, I find it kinda funny that in order to "keep a Legal Pirate license"... you have to rob people... LOL (or do "Pirate" Jobs)
In the old days privateering was considered an investment venture sanctioned by the state against enemies.

The state gets a cut of the loot.

Which means Marika is a high school tax payer.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 21:33   Link #1791
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming

The rules would seem set that only someone dedicated to the state and of the pre-existing bloodline would remain Privateers. Otherwise they would become Pirates and be hunted down and killed.

So the rules are designed to eventually remove what is left of Sea of Morning Star's remaining Privateer forces.
Old 2012-04-08, 23:06   Link #1792
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
She will have to put someone in Engineering though, and we all know that ramming always works.

The Bentenmaru is going to have to install a drill first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post

Spoiler for Moretsu Effect:

This explains where Marika's swagger comes from...
so that's actually Commander Gonzaemon Shepard?

...you know what this means? Schnitzer is Joker and EDI's iChild.

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 23:15   Link #1793
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming

The next Liner they raid is doomed. Not from the girls messing up....but from the amount of heart attacks from being raided by a bunch of high school girls and two middle school princesses.

Chiaki's father is a pretty cool guy...in a pirate kind of way.

Show is slick. I don't know if I like him, but he's slick. Also Marika can deafen with her "Ehhh!"s.

Smuggling, eh. So Privateers get all kinds of jobs when there is no war on, yet are being maintained for historical purposes (there are really old ships) and probably nationalism. Something that is entirely Sea of Morning Star's and not the Galactic Empire's or the colony's former founders. Also means the planet still has a private military for if things ever come to war again.
Old 2012-04-09, 00:12   Link #1794
ReddyRedWolf

Good thing Captain Kurihara told everybody about Marika else she'd probably be hit on.

Marika looks sexy as an OL. In fact it is almost like Kurihara is flirting with her until Chiaki butted in.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 01:21   Link #1795
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming

Chiaki called dibs, so she can go over her father.
Old 2012-04-09, 03:51   Link #1796
justpassingby

From 2ch [link], ep 16-18 titles. Not official translation :P

Spoiler for Ep 16 - 18:
The staffs involved are listed in the link. The changes in Marika outfit are ridiculous. They should know from the the source material that whenever the licensed privateers are to do their job (insurance jobs, government jobs, aggressor in war game) the Captains are obliged to wear their uniform (captain coat), as stated by the Letter of Marque (iirc it was since the first Letter of Marque during the war)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
On that point I do agree wholeheartedly with those Nico Nico comments calling for a switch to Komatsu-san's music from MomoKuro
Spoiler for yesterday event:

Were you watching with them yesterday afternoon (ep 1 to 12 marathon)? Too bad it's region blocked. Would like to watch those comments flying across the screen
People are still arguing about pot-au-feu is oden?

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-04-09 at 09:52. Reason: bleh too tired
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 12:46   Link #1797
Theo
Morningstar is Burning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
Hubris isn't a word I associate with Marika at all. She is decisive when called upon, and sees those decisions through with confidence, but other than those times she is really self-depreciating. It's probably her biggest flaw as a captain, she doesn't think of herself as special, or different. So I'm curious what you mean by Marika's hubris in ep 7.
I'm talking about her growing overconfidence in her ability to multitask things, at the expense of her grades and well-being. She's a pirate, student, and maid and thinks she can perform all these jobs with little consequence. Remember her dream at the beginning where she nonsensically went out alone in that starfighter without any support? It was the perfect metaphor in her growing pride as a captain and how it could get her killed.

What's disappointing is that this isn't explored further in later episodes, especially after that important conversation between Mami and Chiaki about how Marika wanted to build a legacy as good as her mother. Even after she gets her medal, there's a bit of inconsistency in her behavior. She doesn't really show outward pride or any more of the Great Woman's Syndrome as characterized earlier. It doesn't even have to be gratuitous use of dialogue or anything like that; it could be subtle things like taking on more tasks or thinking she can take on bigger jobs.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 13:26   Link #1798
Julio C

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
That was actually damm good episode in a while. So who figure out that Marika would be recruiting the yacht club ahead on? I started laughing when I saw Captain Kurihara in a disguise like that. It was obvious that it was him. I didn't expect Chiaki to show on this episode though.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 14:56   Link #1799
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
I didn't expect Chiaki to show on this episode though.
I didn't either, so it was a very nice surprise. I was just watching the show and then out of nowhere I suddenly got a Chiaki-slap-in-the-face!

Endless "You have my attention" Soul
Old 2012-04-09, 17:05   Link #1800
SinsI

How did Schnitzer (the cyborg, someone that can go into outer space vacuum without a spacesuit) catch that disease?!
I wonder if Ririka is going to be a part of the temp crew...
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri