AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-10-21, 00:17   Link #4101
night_sentinel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth
Speaking of that, I was trying to make a serious post for my blog about Saki and by extension of Kiyosumi as the villains. It was ... a glorious failure.

The crushing the dream part meme? They really haven't done it. Well not as much as any other team. In fact, it could be argued that they were nicer about it. Except for the scary power and that fact that they're obviously not the underdog (barring the media's perception). They really have no qualifications to be the villain. When, I analyzed where their opponent ended up. Its not in despair-ville.

The three finalist from the prefecture are kinda buddy buddy with them due to the training camp. Miyamori and Eisui are in the beach.

And Himematsu? They're having a round 2. But, I have a suspicion about the plot thread regarding them. If I'm right, they're probably going to have a good ending as well.


Still, a nice joke meme though.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 00:37   Link #4102
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I think this is more due to the fact that what readers know is a scared and insecure girl is seen by everyone else who happens to fight her on the table as the Antichrist incarnate.

Teru on her own isn't terrifying, and even with the Ea arm she's more intimidating than anything else. Saki? She's been portrayed in the manga as genuinely scary once the Nationals hit.
__________________
Myssa Rei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 00:43   Link #4103
Requiem-x
The slacking one
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Yeah, Kiyosumi as a whole is a pretty nice crew, but Saki on her own is... something else. May I remind you that Kyoko, who Saki sees as the biggest threat so far, is an ordinary girl who wasn't even supposed to be there. I'm pretty sure there's at least one Hero vs. Demon Lord story outhere that goes like that.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 01:34   Link #4104
night_sentinel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I think this is more due to the fact that what readers know is a scared and insecure girl is seen by everyone else who happens to fight her on the table as the Antichrist incarnate.

Teru on her own isn't terrifying, and even with the Ea arm she's more intimidating than anything else. Saki? She's been portrayed in the manga as genuinely scary once the Nationals hit.
Yes. There is something about the irony. And really that has always tickled my funny bones.

Teru and Saki. They have their brand of intimidating factor. But, yes. It does feel at times that Saki is more scary. I think this was more of the fact that Teru is a full blown realized catastrophe. She's powerful but her opponents more or less know what to expect. Saki, on the other hand, isn't as directly powerful. Her strength isn't really fully realized but there are hints here and there. That and she got a more supernatural feel compared to her onee-chan. In some ways, the unknown about her makes it a bit more menacing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Yeah, Kiyosumi as a whole is a pretty nice crew, but Saki on her own is... something else. May I remind you that Kyoko, who Saki sees as the biggest threat so far, is an ordinary girl who wasn't even supposed to be there. I'm pretty sure there's at least one Hero vs. Demon Lord story outhere that goes like that.

I think that Kyouko vs Saki is shaping up to be a nice plot thread.
But, really. I don't know how that qualifies Saki for villainhood. Acknowledging a weaker opponent isn't really .... something that is wrong per se. I actually think that is something admirable.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 06:53   Link #4105
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel
Yes. There is something about the irony. And really that has always tickled my funny bones.

Teru and Saki. They have their brand of intimidating factor. But, yes. It does feel at times that Saki is more scary. I think this was more of the fact that Teru is a full blown realized catastrophe. She's powerful but her opponents more or less know what to expect. Saki, on the other hand, isn't as directly powerful. Her strength isn't really fully realized but there are hints here and there. That and she got a more supernatural feel compared to her onee-chan. In some ways, the unknown about her makes it a bit more menacing.
Just how did their parents handle the pressure of sitting on the same table as Saki and Teru without getting mind broken .....maybe it just a game of smile? or their power is on developing? or their parents are demon lords in the shadow.


Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel
I think that Kyouko vs Saki is shaping up to be a nice plot thread.
But, really. I don't know how that qualifies Saki for villainhood. Acknowledging a weaker opponent isn't really .... something that is wrong per se. I actually think that is something admirable.
It will be great plot twist if Kyouko can rape Saki and drive her into the despair.

Anyway, I sense that something big is coming in the captain round. Something that will cause the fight between Nodoka and Saki. Something that will train Saki for the l battle in the final round.


.................................................. .........


Oh yeah, it's just a few days before the arrival of Shinohayu ch.2 . Let's see if Hayari will destroy Shino or Shino will destroy everyone.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 08:54   Link #4106
Serperior
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Come on! Let's bet. I'll put money of demon-slaying Kyoko to slay the demon Saki, the midget Georgian and Maya Magdalene!
Serperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 09:00   Link #4107
Requiem-x
The slacking one
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Yes. There is something about the irony. And really that has always tickled my funny bones.

Teru and Saki. They have their brand of intimidating factor. But, yes. It does feel at times that Saki is more scary. I think this was more of the fact that Teru is a full blown realized catastrophe. She's powerful but her opponents more or less know what to expect. Saki, on the other hand, isn't as directly powerful. Her strength isn't really fully realized but there are hints here and there. That and she got a more supernatural feel compared to her onee-chan. In some ways, the unknown about her makes it a bit more menacing.


I think that Kyouko vs Saki is shaping up to be a nice plot thread.
But, really. I don't know how that qualifies Saki for villainhood. Acknowledging a weaker opponent isn't really .... something that is wrong per se. I actually think that is something admirable.
About Teru, knowing what to expect doesn't help much, just look at Toki and Kuro. Also, being able to read your opponent's soul is way more supernatural than table control if you ask me. I do agree with Saki's style being more sneaky and devious. They're both scary, but in different ways: with Teru you just want it to stop, with Saki you don't even know it's begun until it's too late.

About my previous comment, it's not that it qualifies her as villain, it just makes her look like one. Also, Kyoko isn't really that weak in Saki's eyes, it seems, it's just that Kyoko herself doesn't realize this strenght yet (another common hero character trait, may I add).
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 09:00   Link #4108
night_sentinel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serperior View Post
Come on! Let's bet. I'll put money of demon-slaying Kyoko to slay the demon Saki, the midget Georgian and Maya Magdalene!

So you guys are putting your money on Kyouko?
Alright, I'll take that bet. I'm putting my imaginary money on Kiyosumi and Rinkai. Sorry Kyouko, as much as I like your new hairstyle. I'm rooting for you to get much needed comfort from Zenno later.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
About Teru, knowing what to expect doesn't help much, just look at Toki and Kuro. Also, being able to read your opponent's soul is way more supernatural than table control if you ask me. I do agree with Saki's style being more sneaky and devious. They're both scary, but in different ways: with Teru you just want it to stop, with Saki you don't even know it's begun until it's too late.

About my previous comment, it's not that it qualifies her as villain, it just makes her look like one. Also, Kyoko isn't really that weak in Saki's eyes, it seems, it's just that Kyoko herself doesn't realize this strenght yet (another common hero character trait, may I add).
I agree. I'm merely replying to Myssa's assessment that Saki feels more dangerous/scary. But, then again this is really at the realm of personal opinion.
To paraphrase... Do you fear the attack the you can see coming but cannot stop? Or the one that you cannot see coming until its already done?

Yeah. I guess its more better to say that Saki makes a terrific antagonist/rival than a villain. This is why I would like my other favorite characters to be matched up to her. Even if they inevitably lose, I get to love them more in the process.

Last edited by night_sentinel; 2013-10-21 at 09:20.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 09:57   Link #4109
raincrow
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
It's possible that Saki is a 'villain' in a different way, regarding her back story I mean Like, maybe she was very, very jealous of wheelchair girl or something. Definitely would be a big plot twist away from the cute & innocent thing.

Rinkai is most likely going through, especially now with Mako's "unfinished business" with Hao, but yeah, I can see Kyouko thrashing everyone at the end though. Like, she just barely finishes 3rd, but scares the living crap out of Saki. There's just too much good build up in her character to not make a huge dent in the story.

But if Himematsu actually goes through, then I could see the final really being between Saki's power vs. Kyouko's crazy 'normal' skills.
raincrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 10:09   Link #4110
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Himematsu already got their screen time. Its highly unlikely for them to reach the finals. It would be rinaki and kiyosumi to move on though I would probably applaud and go wild if kiyosumi ended up losing -_-
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 11:32   Link #4111
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Himematsu already got their screen time. Its highly unlikely for them to reach the finals. It would be rinaki and kiyosumi to move on though I would probably applaud and go wild if kiyosumi ended up losing -_-

Did you forget what Saki did to Miko school and how she 'helped' Himematsu to win as 2nd?

The same thing will happen here. Saki will destroy other schools and bring Himematsu to the final round with her. Himematsu will get a help from Saki ,so the chance that Himematsu will be in the final is almost 100%

UNLESS!!!!!!! , someone will make Saki's plan goes wrong. If that happen, it means Saki will get rape by someone from other teams. Possibly, Kiyosumi will go to the final as 2nd.

See? there can be only 3 futures LOL
1) Everything go according to Saki plan and Himematsu goes to the final with Kiyosumi ((Himematsu, 2nd)
2) Saki plan failed (i.e. get raped) and other school go to the final with Kiyosumi
3.) Saki plan failed (i.e. get raped) and Himematsu goes to the final with Kiyosumi (Himematsu, 1st)

Also, on side-A, they already set Shizuno's to be Awai's rival. Won't it be nice if Saki also have a rival from side-b on the the table in the final round too?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif

Last edited by Marina2; 2013-10-21 at 12:01.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 11:45   Link #4112
teja208
Critical fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Anywhere with anime and anime discussion is fine
Seen the latest chapter. Not only it confirms Usuzan's lineup, but also increases the likelihood of two things:

1. Rinkai advancing: Mako needs to get her revenge on Hao, similar to what happened to Hisa vs. Hiroe match in the quarterfinal.

2. Ritz going for all out first year captain match in the finals: Maya is a first year, and if Nelly plays captain as well then it's will be 3 first year monsters and 1 third-year badass normal for semi captain match.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 12:11   Link #4113
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Also, on side-A, they already set Shizuno's to be Awai's rival. Won't it be nice if Saki also have a rival from side-b on the the table in the final round too?
This reminds me that I felt cheated when achiga ended up in the finals....toki

It will be a good captain fight if nodoka got beaten and for once kiyosumi is in last and saki need to do some drastic landslide moves to even win. Because so far, when the battle comes for saki. She isn't much in pinch that she will go all out from the beginning.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 12:31   Link #4114
Fragment off
Reader or Writer
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Somewhere between first and last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Seen the latest chapter. Not only it confirms Usuzan's lineup, but also increases the likelihood of two things:

1. Rinkai advancing: Mako needs to get her revenge on Hao, similar to what happened to Hisa vs. Hiroe match in the quarterfinal.

2. Ritz going for all out first year captain match in the finals: Maya is a first year, and if Nelly plays captain as well then it's will be 3 first year monsters and 1 third-year badass normal for semi captain match.
Yes I also See Rinkai passing, but I won't put any money until I see the score at the end of Lieutnant match.
What will really deceided how Saki will have to play will be Hisa score as Nodoka's won'tgo up a lot or just plain go down.

But You're wrong on one point here. At this point you can't call Shizu a badass-normal anymore. The "master of th deep montain" BS prevent it. ' Yes I am still angry with the Way ritz handle Shizuno)


Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
This reminds me that I felt cheated when achiga ended up in the finals....toki

It will be a good captain fight if nodoka got beaten and for once kiyosumi is in last and saki need to do some drastic landslide moves to even win. Because so far, when the battle comes for saki. She isn't much in pinch that she will go all out from the beginning.
What I see happening for now is Saki starting alright ( but being Fourth in point)them but quickly getting countered and in most of the game she play the 'Kana'

Near the end she remember why she want to win and ,pushed in her last retort get all limiter off.
__________________
There is always a way but not always a Good way.
Fragment off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 13:12   Link #4115
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
It will be hard to control the points of your opponents if your on the last straw so if they are losing. I only see saki smilling that creepy smile of he's with dark aura surrounding her.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 14:16   Link #4116
Requiem-x
The slacking one
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
This reminds me that I felt cheated when achiga ended up in the finals....toki

It will be a good captain fight if nodoka got beaten and for once kiyosumi is in last and saki need to do some drastic landslide moves to even win. Because so far, when the battle comes for saki. She isn't much in pinch that she will go all out from the beginning.
Let's not begin the achiga angry talk again, please.

As for Nodoka getting in trouble, all my hopes right now lie with Arata. It is no coincidence she got that position when she's the only one in achiga who doesn't care about Nodoka. Maybe this coming match will surprise me, but right now my expectations are pretty low.

Saki isn't really the kind of character that goes all out from the get go, at least not in a way you can percieve. Her breakthroughs are usually a surprise, that's part of the charm.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 14:27   Link #4117
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post

As for Nodoka getting in trouble, all my hopes right now lie with Arata. It is no coincidence she got that position when she's the only one in achiga who doesn't care about Nodoka. Maybe this coming match will surprise me, but right now my expectations are pretty low.
I'm talking about the current match wit kiyosumi having low scores so if nodoka's score got bombed more and they are in critical then its probably the time to show a different side of saki. So far she is bipolar or rather her attitude doesn't reflect her opponents view and her view. She really enjoys the game, that I can say but if she is in pinch that she doesn't have time to control the scores or draws of her opponent then maybe we will saw a different side of her.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-21, 14:37   Link #4118
Requiem-x
The slacking one
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I'm talking about the current match wit kiyosumi having low scores so if nodoka's score got bombed more and they are in critical then its probably the time to show a different side of saki. So far she is bipolar or rather her attitude doesn't reflect her opponents view and her view. She really enjoys the game, that I can say but if she is in pinch that she doesn't have time to control the scores or draws of her opponent then maybe we will saw a different side of her.
Given how Maya is apparently God's messenger on earth, there's also the chance the points only start dropping to critical levels after the final match starts (God forbids something sullies Nodoka's perfection ) With such fierce competiton I have no doubts Saki will up her game for the semifinals, the question is how.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 13:26   Link #4119
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Shinohayu Ch.2 leak

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Shino is so adorable. Loli Hayari is so cute.

Oh and look at those male players!
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-23, 19:10   Link #4120
The Green One
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Male players? A rare spawn indeed.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.