AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2014-04-16, 18:52   Link #4901
The Green One

Man Kiyosumi is looking at some horribly crappy odds here. Usuzan's vice captain has a LOT of work to do.
The Green One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 20:34   Link #4902
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem-x View Post
Yuan is only one good hand away from getting busted, and both Hiroe and Choe should be perfectly capable of pulling that out and it's on their benefit. Hisa is playing with fire.
Hisa playing with fire huh? Yeah I love every moment of it.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-16, 23:30   Link #4903
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Hisa playing with fire huh? Yeah I love every moment of it.
I know that's how Hisa rolls, but she's really cutting it close here, and I doubt Choe or Hiroe will feel like leaving Yuan barely hanging in there to keep the game going.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-17, 01:32   Link #4904
The Green One

What round are we on? I forget. I know we're in the second half of the match.
Old 2014-04-17, 17:34   Link #4905
juventus95

Quote:
Spoiler for Reply:
If a pro can help a high school team, even invite other pros to help that team during a tournament, nothing can stop a student from doing her own thing I guess it's only allowed in Saki verse.
juventus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-18, 23:02   Link #4906
Chitanda Eru

After watching episode 13 Saki zenkoku-hen, I wonder the spoiler at the end of this episode is revealed by Ritz to the studio or not. Anyways, I'm really curious about the real power of Usuzan

And I hope Usuzan and Kiyosumi will go to the final. I don't like Rinkai and Himematsu X___X.
Chitanda Eru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 07:16   Link #4907
Peanutbutter

Saw the entire Chapter 125:

Spoiler for Chpt 125:
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-19, 10:01   Link #4908
Chitanda Eru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post

Spoiler for Chpt 125:
How long it will be delayed? >.<
I'm so sad that Ritz made it too slow
Old 2014-04-19, 12:49   Link #4909
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:

Spoiler for Chpt 125:
TOTALLY FAIR.

On the other hand, this makes me fear a certain conclusion.

Spoiler for Possibility:

Quote:
Spoiler for Chpt 125:
Just like the whole of Eisui thought Jindai's weakest god would get the job done in the quarters Choe, you do need to learn more about japanese mahjong culture.

Quote:
Spoiler for Chpt 125:
Everyone else calls it the end, Hisa calls it a challenge
Old 2014-04-20, 16:24   Link #4910
Bladezer

Quote:
I suppose Nodoka's interesting side is her focus on efficiency and just getting stuff done, right?

Well, to me that doesn't fly in a series where the gals without powers are some of the most flamboyant and the mantra that covers everything is "have fun". And yes, I'm aware her style is supposed to pass as elegant, but there's nothing breathtaking about it.
I know this would be seen as late, but I remember someone criticising Nodoka for complaining about the way that Hisa plays, mainly because that was the main way Hisa has fun. Thing is that your critising the way Nodoka plays, when that is how Nodoka has fun while playing Mahjong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjalorak View Post
From /a/, apparently, here are the presidents:

Quote:
- Sumire is actually the General Manager of the Shiraitodai Mahjong club
- Kasumi is the president of the Eisui Mahjong club
- Sae is the president of the Miyamori Mahjong club
- Surprisingly, Chikako is the General Manager of Usuzan Mahjong club
- Satoha is the president of Rinkai Mahjong club
- Crazy Eyes/Funny Hat girl is the president of Koshigaya Mahjong club
- Niwaka-san is the General Manager of Bansei Mahjong club
- Most of the girls in Kei's gang are General Managers of their respective schools
- Ichigo is general manager of her school club

And Masae Atago is a former professional (not surprising, I guess).
Just wanted to say most of these do make sense, also this makes think Kasumi may have been on Eisui roster last year with Jindai, since she is the president. Also with Mase being a pro, I remember saying a while back she wasn't guess I was wrong. Also seeing as she most likely decided who played in the tournament, its her fault for putting Izumi on the team, remember 'miss I'm number 1 first year in Japan', despite not being able to stand up to Nodoka, when Nodoka was holding back. So its possible that Harue is still a better coach then her. My main point is it seems Harue seemed to squash any arrogance the Achiga girls may have had, while Izumi, became cocky to the point she felt she could easily read third years with more experience then her, e.g. not figuring out Yoshiko change her style to avoid being hit by Sumire, and assuming that Sumire is going to try and bust the school who was obviously going to deliberately play in ways to not let Sumire bust her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Usuzan got cursed because they got hyped by Hayarin. Being hyped in Saki leads to bad things happening -- see Ryuumonbuchi, Shiraitodai...
I just like to highlight something from this post: Ryuumonbuchi did live up to their hype, the only player who did badly was Tomoki, and we all know why. Also with Usuzan is well, their doing badly, because Naruka took the brunt of the damage in the vanguard round, and Yaun is paying for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
But I would be hesitant to call Harue simply a "normal" - remember when the Achiga team came across Saki fir the very first time? The two who picked up on her "monster aura" (and were literally scared stiff) were Kuro and... Harue. Shizu only got a taste of it when Saki was right next to her. Harue is a tactician to be sure, but she is also highly sensitive at the very least.
I just feel like this needs a rebuttal, because you seemed to have forgotten, Yumi who is completely normal, sensed Koromo's aura, same Tomoki and Hajime with Saki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
As telling has having Mihoko's uniform in Kiyosumi's closet.
Try not to forget that Kiyosumi and Kazekoshi are sharing room, not have rooms next to each other

Spoiler for Can't do the image hiding:

As I say that this image clearly shows, seeing as Saki is still a sleep, and also notice how Kana and Mihoko are getting intimate in the background, also the rest are getting dressed. Also something seeing as Saki is still asleep, unless Mihoko, Kana and Miharu are staying in the same room, they should not be there. And I don't care how close people friendships are unless its your partner or family member you do not go into other peoples rooms, until they invite you in, especially when they're sleeping.

I just feel like this needed a rebuttal, because you seemed to have forgotten, Yumi who is completely normal, sensed Koromo's aura, same Tomoki and Hajime with Saki.

These were just some old posts I felt needed some rebuttals to. Anyhow something that cropped up in the Anime thread a while back was that Hisa's coaching ability was starting to make her look like a Mary-sue, so I feel like it should be pointed out where she has screwed up as a coach, and things that SHOULD NOT be credit to her as the coach of Kiyosumi. Obviously Hisa first and biggest screw up was reading how Mako's ability worked, as quite clearly shown during the finals in Nagno, Mako needs to see the game unfold in front of her not just look at play records. Although I do wonder if Mako can watch videos to add to her database, or if it is a clear case of she needs to see games happen in front of her for them to be added.

With Saki and Nodoka they were highly skilled players to begin with, all Hisa did was find ways for them to play at full strength at all times. Though it was Saki who figured out play at her best on her own. I'm thinking Hisa only got the idea for Nodoka to play with Etopen, when Nodoka brought it with her to the training camp, so its possible Hisa literally managed to guess how to Nodoka to play in Nodocci mode at all time. And Nodoka's speed of entering into Nodocci mode was something that was bound to happen as she played more games. And finally with Yuuki it wasn't Hisa who told and taught Yuuki to improve, it was clearly Jun, who probably knocked out the kinks of Yuuki of being disrupted, and clearly taught just how going for speed hands would improve her over all game.

This is something that I put in the anime thread but the post it was in was deleted. Hiroko's playstyle, I stated that her playstyle would not work in the individuals, mainly because it would cause her a lot of mental fatigue, seeing as she would have to constantly analysis players with flexible styles, and she would have to remember data from old play records. Now if we put this together with 1st years that have limited data, having to play different players through a round robin tournament, would mean that in the later games Hiroko would start to make mistakes she normally wouldn't make.

Something that I have made no secret is my dislike for Senriyama, my main dislike for them comes from the way that they are partly portrayed as being arrogant and also I find they have a very annoying tendency to underestimate other teams, main one being every member, besides Sera, seems to believe they are more skilled then the other players on the table during the semi-finals, as seen with Izumi but also with Hiroko and assuming that she would easily be able to take 2nd away from Arata, and completely ignoring that biggest threat in her round is Mairu not Seiko, seeing as would be up to her to stop Mairu from winning so that Himeko has a harder time in the captain's round. We have Toki who doesn't realise that you need to pay attention to all 3 other players on the table not just one, and she doesn't realise this until Kirame pretty much literally tells Toki 'play into my hand so we can stop Teru', where as before Toki kept on getting shocked that Teru was able to win, even though being disrupted by other players is something people should realise will not effect players at Teru's level. We also have how the entire team eats into the screen time of both Achiga, the protagonists, and Shindouji, the other team who we are supposed to sympathise with. By having this screen time we lose out on following the actual main characters, as well as by giving them more flashback scenes we missed out on the chance of seeing Shindouji's backstory and the motivation of the entire team, which is really annoying when it is quite clearly the first few flashbacks establish the main motivations for Senriyama, which made their later flashbacks completely unneeded, and that flashback time could have been to given more time to develop Shindouji. So where as people say Senriyama is one of the best parts of Achig-hen where as I find it to be what weakens the overall story of Achiga-hen.

Now onto Ryuuka who I found to be a complete disappoint seeing as she was supposed to be a normal highly skilled player, but she ended up needing a ability to be able to actual be relevant in her semi-final match. I found for this to be highly annoying because we know Ritz can write normal skilled players, as shown with Yumi, Kyouko, Sera and Satoha. From all this I'm guessing Ritz wrote herself into a corner with Ryuuka, seeing as it was pretty clear Senriyama wasn't going to go through to the finals but its clear she wanted to keep Ryuuka relevant to her last match. Also its actually by giving Ryuuka her ability is what caused Awai to lose not Shizu's ability. Something else by giving Ryuuka a secondary ability in the anime, it actually undermines her win during when Shizu's ability is active, because the reason RRyuuka was able to win was because did use anything to manipulate the tiles, so her win was supposed to show by playing normally and being skilled can allow you to overcome Shizu's control over the walls. Also if she had her secondary ability I have to wonder why didn't she use when it was clear she was having trouble with getting to second.

These are just a few things I've been wanting to say ever since Achiga-hen finished and I just wanted to get down ever since.

Also now that I've thought about it Senriyama's team build is terrible. If we look at other teams we have Shizu has the final player, who is able to block monster players ability, Saki who is able back amazing comebacks, Kyouko able to properly analysis and think quickly to come up with ways to avoid being hit by dangerous monsters in the captains round. But Senriyama put Ryuuka in the captains round, who is implied to have put in the captains round in the last nationals, when last year it was suggested that Teru was the captain for Shiraitodai last year, my main point her is Senriyama knew Ryuuka wouldn't be able to face the monsters in the captains round, so she would have been better placed in the lieutenant or sergeant rounds. I find it would have been smarter for them to field Sera and Toki in the later rounds, I say this because say having Toki in the final round would have been smarter because she would then say be able to protect the point wall that Sera would have build up in the vice-captains round. As for the vanguard I say place Hiroko there since she can defend and stop Senriyama from busting in that round. Sorry, but I find Izumi should never have made it on to the team, since she was very arrogant for no reason, I feel Atago should have never let her on the team since it seems that by placing her on the team Izumi, became incredibly overconfident which I find should have got her cut from the team right away. I find that Senriyama would've been better suited going for an all-rounded player then going with Izumi's defensive style. This is just how I see Senriyama could be improved, and actually a viable threat in the semi-finals.

Also I find that if Senriyama didn't have Sera, they would've lost badly in their semi-finals match, yes even with Hiroko as their vice-captain, who is a good player, Senriyama may have been busted in the captains round by Awai.

Something I noticed while rewatching Achiga-hen the second opening and ending reference Shizu's ability by having her stand in a mountain range, this is pretty much similar to how the opening for the main series references Saki's ability by seeing flower petals around her when ever she wins by rinshan kaihou.

Also on the latest chapters I can't help but find what Hisa is doing is highly risky, especially when you factor in the way Nodoka and Saki play, from what I remember they cause alot of damage to other schools through Tsumoing, which by having Hisa attacking all 3 other players makes things more risky for them, I know she had to get character development so she'd learn to remember to keep faith in her skills, but thing is she needs to remember that while Nodoka and Saki are good players, she has to remember Nodoka disregards all supernatural forms in Mahjong, while Saki can end up losing her confidence if somebody gets under her skin. Also she maybe planning to be able to attack Hiroe and Choe, thing is they know she's going to be aiming for them, and as far as Hiroe's concerned she can just let Choe bust Yuan, while she just stays on the defensive.
Bladezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-20, 22:12   Link #4911
tjalorak
Fax Caelestis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezer View Post
Just wanted to say most of these do make sense, also this makes think Kasumi may have been on Eisui roster last year with Jindai, since she is the president.
I thought it had been pretty clear that all 4 are new. But Jindai, while the 'heart' of the team, isn't quite a GM type.

Quote:
Also with Mase being a pro, I remember saying a while back she wasn't guess I was wrong. Also seeing as she most likely decided who played in the tournament, its her fault for putting Izumi on the team
Despite how it seems, there aren't that many national-class players running around. A larger, more prestigious club just means that you've had a history of success and a higher chance of attracting players who are more serious about mahjong. I can easily believe that Izumi is the 5th ranked player in Senriyama, i.e. the other choices were worse. Looks like Coach Atago agrees with where she places Izumi: she hides her in the same place Yumi did her own weakest player, Sgt. round, where there aren't that many Aces.

Quote:
So its possible that Harue is still a better coach then her.
Harue got more out of her players so yes. Masae basically shows up for the Captain round only. I find her strategy strange and her coaching non-existent at the tournament, at least.

Quote:
Also with Usuzan is well, their doing badly, because Naruka took the brunt of the damage in the vanguard round, and Yaun is paying for it.
Chikako did fine. Yuan is just a bad player as Naruka is. She hasn't won a single hand, which is honestly amazing.

Quote:
Try not to forget that Kiyosumi and Kazekoshi are sharing room, not have rooms next to each other
Kazekoshi have their own room on the floor as stated when they ran into Kiyosumi in the hotel. They just decided to move into Kiyosumi's room.

Quote:
Although I do wonder if Mako can watch videos to add to her database, or if it is a clear case of she needs to see games happen in front of her for them to be added.
Seems like she has to either play herself or watch in person.

Quote:
Hisa literally managed to guess how to Nodoka to play in Nodocci mode at all time.
Guessing seems like too little credit given. Her people-skills and observation are part of Hisa's strengths. She observed Nodoka's style at the club and at the camp and deduced both the problem and a solution.

Quote:
And finally with Yuuki it wasn't Hisa who told and taught Yuuki to improve, it was clearly Jun, who probably knocked out the kinks of Yuuki of being disrupted, and clearly taught just how going for speed hands would improve her over all game.
Who exactly do you think deliberately arranged for Yuuki to play with Jun so much?

Quote:
Hiroko's playstyle, I stated that her playstyle would not work in the individuals, mainly because it would cause her a lot of mental fatigue, seeing as she would have to constantly analysis players with flexible styles, and she would have to remember data from old play records.
Perhaps. Perhaps not. Some people just have the mental capacity to do so, and in this series where people seem to pull off the impossible or at least greatly improbable with regularity, if someone's shtick is data driven, I can confidently say she will be able to remember previous play styles if she's reviewed them. Her issue would be either she didn't review the player's play records or a player pulls out something new that is different from their previous play style. Incidentally, Mako's pattern recognition requires much more mental capacity / memory given how much more patterns are possible.

Quote:
So where as people say Senriyama is one of the best parts of Achig-hen where as I find it to be what weakens the overall story of Achiga-hen.
Senriyama-hen is the saving grace of Side A. They were at least interesting even if they were not particularly smart. That said, I consider the latter endemic to all teams portrayed in Side A so I'll not hold it especially against them.

Quote:
Now onto Ryuuka who I found to be a complete disappoint seeing as she was supposed to be a normal highly skilled player, but she ended up needing a ability to be able to actual be relevant in her semi-final match.
Ryuuka was a disappointment as were the rest of the Captains. We could probably just kick all the Captains out of the round and just input who they were a proxy for, and it'd probably have been a smarter, more interesting round. A Teru, Harue, Toki, and Mairu game would have been fun.

Quote:
Also its actually by giving Ryuuka her ability is what caused Awai to lose not Shizu's ability.
Awai's problem is her arrogance and self-inflicted stupidity.

Quote:
Also now that I've thought about it Senriyama's team build is terrible.
Their build is basically the same as Himematsu's in general. Not all that surprising given the two teams' ties.

Quote:
But Senriyama put Ryuuka in the captains round, who is implied to have put in the captains round in the last nationals, when last year it was suggested that Teru was the captain for Shiraitodai last year
Shindouji knew Shiraitodai's lineup well before they finalized their lineup. Senriyama and Himematsu almost certainly know as well. They know Toki will be facing Teru.

Quote:
my main point her is Senriyama knew Ryuuka wouldn't be able to face the monsters in the captains round
Senriyama gambled that Toki could minimize point loss, Sera could grab the lead, and Ryuuka would bring it home as an efficient, analytical player. Notably, Ryuuka was one of the players who had a net positive score in the Captain round. Toki sort of did her job, and Sera did hers as well. Comparatively, Sera even got more points than Hiroe did.

Senriyama's big problems were: Teru (more accurately, Toki's defiance there) and Izumi. Unfortunately, it seems like Toki wanted to arrange a hit on Teru more than securing Senriyama's spot and that Izumi is not a better player and Yuu's nonsensical X-ray vision meant that Sumire only really aimed successfully at Izumi.

Quote:
Also I find that if Senriyama didn't have Sera, they would've lost badly in their semi-finals match, yes even with Hiroko as their vice-captain, who is a good player, Senriyama may have been busted in the captains round by Awai.
Although notably, Sera is put in a position to succeed. It was said pretty clearly that Sera didn't do well against Aces / with pressure, which is why she was deliberately shifted out of Vanguard and Captain slots.

Quote:
Also on the latest chapters I can't help but find what Hisa is doing is highly risky
So, she's acting like Hisa and playing the hell wait.
Old 2014-04-21, 03:01   Link #4912
The Green One

So about another year and a half before we likely see the end of the semi finals it seems at this pace.
Old 2014-04-22, 14:23   Link #4913
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^

Arrggghhhh ... that chapter was way to short - and with a break following? *sigh*

Well, I must admit I kinda think Choe's abilities are interesting, but it is time for Hisa to step up to the plate for a change. ^^
Old 2014-04-22, 15:45   Link #4914
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Arrggghhhh ... that chapter was way to short - and with a break following? *sigh*

Well, I must admit I kinda think Choe's abilities are interesting, but it is time for Hisa to step up to the plate for a change. ^^
Hisa has stepped up from the moment this match, now she has to go one step beyond.

Easily the most desperate situation Kiyosumi has been since Koromo left Kana hanging, can Hisa keep the team alive without playing defender? Is it possible to cut through the power of Cjoe's singing and stop being dragged along Yuan? One thing is certain: our favorite buchou always enjoys (besides a good dose of Mihoko ) is a good challenge, and she sure got one this time.
Old 2014-04-22, 16:45   Link #4915
King-Slayer

Short chapter but we learned a few things:
1. Singing is normally forbidden and I can see how it could mess up other players concentration.
2. Izumi still sucks at determining power levels. It's like almost every time she speaks about stuff like that, Hiroko is telling her " You don't know squat".
3. Hisa's plan continues although we still no nothing about what she wanting to do
4. An explaination of Choe's powers

Also that verse on the double page is freaking awesome. "A Hymn of praise for herself or is this a requiem of death for the foes she will slaughter?" How can you not love that.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-22, 18:05   Link #4916
raincrow

Wonder what she's singing She could sing in English and say whatever the hell she wants, because what, a handful of people would understand her? Like melodic nonstop swearing at the other players

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Slayer View Post
1. Singing is normally forbidden and I can see how it could mess up other players concentration.
So we're basically getting a Choe that's not playing at her full ability because of the rules, because she can only sing at certain times in this match. Big time speculation...maybe we will see it happen at a tournament that isn't in Japan, like if the series ever goes into a world tournament thing. That actually would set up a scenario where if Rinkai actually didn't make it to the finals, then they get to show their 'real' stuff in a bigger tournament that allows more through the rules.

I do feel so far that Rinkai seems to be a team that isn't going full gear. Hao is getting used to some rules still, Choe's can't sing her death metal all the time, I don't know what the deal is with Satoha's clothes but she does look more reserved. Then Alexandra is telling Nelly to not go all out, etc. They might go nuts if they make it to the finals but Choe couldn't still because of the rules.
raincrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-23, 01:44   Link #4917
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Slayer View Post
Also that verse on the double page is freaking awesome. "A Hymn of praise for herself or is this a requiem of death for the foes she will slaughter?" How can you not love that.
Just read the chapter, and yes, that was awesome. Who needs battle shounen when you have Saki?

I'm more interested in the last page, though. Choe could be on her way to get a good dose of Hisa's unique brand of service right in the face.

When things get tough, Hisa really gets tougher. And lewder, apparently.
Old 2014-04-23, 01:49   Link #4918
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^

To be honest I would really love for Hisa to score a direct hit yakuman on Choe and do her flip the tile up in the air and slam it down on the table move when completing it.
Old 2014-04-23, 01:54   Link #4919
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Didn't she do that already with that small victory of hers? Not that it would stop her from doing it again. It's the semifinals, after all. As she said, time to go all out!

Bring up the flair and wow the french girl
Old 2014-04-23, 02:20   Link #4920
Chitanda Eru

Usuzan can't be so weak like that. Hope that they will show their true power soon
And I don't want Rinkai or Himematsu will go to the final. 2 slot for final should be 2 newcomer Kiyosumi and Usuzan.
For Hisa, I wish she could score a direct hit to Rinkai and take the second place. Or Usuzan would take the second place and Kyosumi drop to the last place. We can see how Saki will release all of her power to take the ticket for final battle

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri