AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > K-On!

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-09-12, 09:36   Link #321
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightViper88 View Post
Are you kidding me? The Rolling Stones once played a gig for Jesus and his 12 Apostles, so if those dinosaurs can continue to play, so should anyone else of an older age with an active lifestyle (And I think playing Rock Band counts )...
I tried teaching my dad and uncle drums and my dad is one year older than Vexx. I gave up after a few days because I couldn't get them to hit the bass and the snare in alternate movements.

Interestingly, my mum can learn the slower rhythms despite around 50+ like my dad......must have trained her motor skills trying to mop the floor and watch the soup boil at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh... I'd toast you in a sword fight methinks so you might want to rethink that stereotype you're playing. But I've *always* sucked at drums, no matter what age. Whats with the age jab?

I'm not sure why you're suggesting the keyboard, I'm looking for a bass guitar to see if I'm still interested in the hobby. I'd rather spend a few hundred bucks to see than a thousand. I played bass guitar as a teenager so it isn't like I'm worried that its "hard" ..... .... ...
Though my wife does play piano... so she might get interested in a keyboard if we three are playing. However, no one can sing for shit -- we'd have to kidnap one of their girl buddies (one sings well enough to star in local musicals).

Rock Band is fun but its really just a sparkly version of "Simon Says".
Bass shouldn't be that hard if you don't tire easily. I feel that it is just the thicker strings that make it harder to do double-picking like the guitar (I am a lazy person).

I know that Yamaha offer cheap but reasonable quality for electric guitars and basses so you might want to check them out. For audiophilic people, they should go for the thousand-plus ones.

Regarding singing, there is always a place in music even for people who "can't sing". And that is the metal genre. Interestingly, for these people who "can't sing", they sure can play many times better than those who condemn them as "noisemakers".
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 12:24   Link #322
MadModBassist
That funky dude himself
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where it's circular on the outside and high in the middle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I know that Yamaha offer cheap but reasonable quality for electric guitars and basses so you might want to check them out. For audiophilic people, they should go for the thousand-plus ones.
Yes, that is definitely true. However, in terms of price and bang for your buck, Ibanez is by far the best you can get at a low price. Take this from a bassist of about 4 years now

I personally use a Cort B4 Artisan series bass. Made in South Korea, and one heckuvan awesome instrument. Plays like $1200 for half that.
MadModBassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-12, 21:34   Link #323
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadModBassist View Post
Yes, that is definitely true. However, in terms of price and bang for your buck, Ibanez is by far the best you can get at a low price. Take this from a bassist of about 4 years now

I personally use a Cort B4 Artisan series bass. Made in South Korea, and one heckuvan awesome instrument. Plays like $1200 for half that.
Never played an Ibanez before. How much did you get yours for, and compared to brands like Fender and Les Paul, how does it "feel" like?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 00:26   Link #324
Splitpersonality
Amateur Psychomocologist
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Ooh basses! I'm glad I opened this thread.

My ibanez SR305 bass cost me $350~ish and it has a full onboard 3 band EQ, and two active soapbar pickups, a bolt on neck and 24-frets. I also have a 22 fret, through neck SZR520. which is cool.

Being a newbie to bass, it was pretty important that I got something that felt right, I was originally going to get a vintage modified jazz bass, because I loved the sound, feel, but then after playing the ibanez for a bit, I sort of decided I liked the feel better. I'm glad I went in there with more of a "okay what's good, that I can afford," mindset as opposed to "Where are the X basses? Nothing else will do," because it allowed me to learn a bit.


Feeling wise, I think the action was lower than the fenders I had sampled, but I doubt that was a very objective test, they were all in the same store and all. As far as guitars, ibanez's are either awesome heavy, like my guitar, or a shred guitar light feeling, a la jackson, which is not really bad. I get a nice deep tone from my guitar, and it's fun for rhythm work, as well as looking nice, the lighter ones also play great, but they're not really my style.

It's really all up to opinion too, I'm glad I can get a lot of sounds from my ibanez, because as well as playing heavy stuff, and lighter stuff, I'm going to be doing some orchestral and jazz work this year, and I look forward to messing around with my amp and bass to get some cool sounds out of it, but someone else might not need such sounds or such a range of sounds. if you need a jazz bass to play jazz, then obviously get a jazz bass, same for P Basses.

Then again I'm just a nub who knows little about bass
__________________
Splitpersonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-13, 18:53   Link #325
MadModBassist
That funky dude himself
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where it's circular on the outside and high in the middle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Never played an Ibanez before. How much did you get yours for, and compared to brands like Fender and Les Paul, how does it "feel" like?
I actually don't own an Ibanez; I've merely played them at Guitar Center. If you know anything about GC, then you'd know how incredible it is to say that a bass played nicely at GC for $300 XD
(If you don't catch my drift, so many people go to GC and play the basses/guitars that the strings get worn out and never replaced, so action is really hard to judge there. But trust me, the SDGR's I played were excellent even there, even more so for the low price.)
Price-wise, they'll run you between $250 and anywhere up to about $600 or more, but the one's I played and enjoyed weren't more than $500 I think, and generally $300 or so.

I own a Cort Artisan B4 bass, and I couldn't ask for anything better than the top models out there for my teen years. I'm aiming for a Warwick and a Jazz in my collection, but right now this gem covers everything I need beautifully when I can find the right tone
MadModBassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-14, 22:32   Link #326
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The 502
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I tried teaching my dad and uncle drums and my dad is one year older than Vexx. I gave up after a few days because I couldn't get them to hit the bass and the snare in alternate movements.

Interestingly, my mum can learn the slower rhythms despite around 50+ like my dad......must have trained her motor skills trying to mop the floor and watch the soup boil at the same time.
I think with the drums, it may have less to do with motor skills and more to do with an actual sense of full-body rhythm...God knows that even at my indestructible age of 21, my arms and legs when playing the drums are about as coordinated as Randy Rhoads and Johnny Ramone doing a synchronized guitar solo...Even my bass-trained arms feel funny playing the most basic of slow-tempo'd rhythms, and this is on a child's beginner set...

Which really sucks, because people like Neil Peart, Anders Jivarp, and Danny Carey are really inspirational players and are the kind that make me want to pick up drums too...
__________________
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 01:53   Link #327
rockmanxpr
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
My first bass was a SGR 4 string bass and for the time I had it, it was OK, the neck is thin and the ease of playing was pretty good. But I just couldn't get a good sound out of it since I'm doing recording and such, then I got me a Fender Jazz bass off of Ebay and it had all the upgrades I was looking for (Better bridge called a BadAss Bridge II, a Hipshot tuner so I can drop the E string to a D, and better electronic controls), and it just sounds so much better and plays just as well as the SGR, I know that I got a lucky,good deal out of it though since it was for $450. So from my experience if you can get a Jazz Bass (Made in Mexico) for $350 which is the same price for a new SGR, go for it! but above all, go to a shop and try them all out!

Now as for you all absolute beginners I would suggest taking a look at Billy Sheehans Basic Bass DVD, I recently got it and from a instructional point of view its pretty damn good to get you in the Bass game, here's a small clip

rockmanxpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 03:09   Link #328
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 33
Setting the instruments aside. Here's some more K-on gashapon figures

K-On: Prop Plus Petit Gashapon

__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 03:29   Link #329
rockmanxpr
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Setting the instruments aside. Here's some more K-on gashapon figures

K-On: Prop Plus Petit Gashapon

yea we need to get back on track!
rockmanxpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 08:16   Link #330
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Setting the instruments aside. Here's some more K-on gashapon figures

K-On: Prop Plus Petit Gashapon

Not fair. Why is Mio coloured and not Azunyan?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 09:14   Link #331
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 33
It's ok to discuss about instruments since it's a part of K-on.

Quote:
Not fair. Why is Mio coloured and not Azunyan?
Main 4 characters, much like in Lucky Star they have immunity.

Ok more gashapons!

K-On - Chibi Voice I-doll



Azu-nyan is really in Tsun mode here while Mio is in Dere.
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 23:17   Link #332
Subarunyon
Yui is mai waifu <3
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Mio's camera being so expensive,

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories


I opted for a cheaper alternative Just won it from ebay yesterday... I paid more than a new one for the extra film rolls... Portras are expensive as heck in Canada

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Subarunyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 23:22   Link #333
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh... I'd toast you in a sword fight methinks so you might want to rethink that stereotype you're playing. But I've *always* sucked at drums, no matter what age. Whats with the age jab?

I'm not sure why you're suggesting the keyboard, I'm looking for a bass guitar to see if I'm still interested in the hobby. I'd rather spend a few hundred bucks to see than a thousand. I played bass guitar as a teenager so it isn't like I'm worried that its "hard" ..... .... ...
Though my wife does play piano... so she might get interested in a keyboard if we three are playing. However, no one can sing for shit -- we'd have to kidnap one of their girl buddies (one sings well enough to star in local musicals).

Rock Band is fun but its really just a sparkly version of "Simon Says".
.....Sounds like a future Badass Grandpa in the making.

Still, I'm a cheapo when it comes to merchandise. Will probably own only the manga and little else.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 23:36   Link #334
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
.....Sounds like a future Badass Grandpa in the making.

Still, I'm a cheapo when it comes to merchandise. Will probably own only the manga and little else.
hey you kids, get offa my lawn!! (swings a bardiche). My image is freely available in my public album (hmm, needs updating).

I ended up borrowing a 5-string custom bass from younger son's friend. Ouch... my fingers hurt However, I do apparently still have some brain wiring left from the 1970s directed towards bass guitar....

I have Mio (alter) and Yui (alter) pre-ordered.... now we just need Ricchan and Mugi-chan. Something tells me the drum set and keyboard are going to amp up the price considerably....
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 23:59   Link #335
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Still, I'm a cheapo when it comes to merchandise. Will probably own only the manga and little else.
Does it include doujin H-manga? To support K-ON! you have to fully support Mugi's "eclectic" tendencies and thought......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
hey you kids, get offa my lawn!! (swings a bardiche). My image is freely available in my public album (hmm, needs updating).

I ended up borrowing a 5-string custom bass from younger son's friend. Ouch... my fingers hurt However, I do apparently still have some brain wiring left from the 1970s directed towards bass guitar....

I have Mio (alter) and Yui (alter) pre-ordered.... now we just need Ricchan and Mugi-chan. Something tells me the drum set and keyboard are going to amp up the price considerably....
Your body will remember things when it has to. Even though you are an old man......you could try Mio's character song (Heart Goes Boom!) to roughly gauge where you are still at. The opening is a little tough but it gets easier with each play.

Anyway, is there any ball joint dolls of the characters on the market? I figured if my sis is getting a new camera I must as well put it into good use by photographing Mio and Mugi in outrageous positions.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 01:13   Link #336
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
As a rule, I don't buy doujin products. As it is, I probably should be buying more official merchandise. which I'm not.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 01:20   Link #337
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Your body will remember things when it has to. Even though you are an old man......you could try Mio's character song (Heart Goes Boom!) to roughly gauge where you are still at. The opening is a little tough but it gets easier with each play.
You know... you seem really stuck on these odd somewhat prejudiced ideas of "old". I don't spend all my time telling you how inexperienced or child-like you might be. I dunno, can you do 100 push-ups or benchpress your weight? So I'd appreciate it if you'd just drop it.

As a matter of fact, I'm messing with Heart Goes Boom! right now... almost all her bass lines in the various songs are fairly simple (though one can add a lot of flair to them). The only problem I'm running into is that my finger tips are having to redevelop the guitar calluses -- and I don't think that's age-related.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 01:22   Link #338
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Sorry, Vexx. But, I have to admit: SH's words are probably more suited for men your age over here in Singapore, instead of a few thousand km away.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 02:39   Link #339
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You know... you seem really stuck on these odd somewhat prejudiced ideas of "old". I don't spend all my time telling you how inexperienced or child-like you might be. I dunno, can you do 100 push-ups or benchpress your weight? So I'd appreciate it if you'd just drop it.

As a matter of fact, I'm messing with Heart Goes Boom! right now... almost all her bass lines in the various songs are fairly simple (though one can add a lot of flair to them). The only problem I'm running into is that my finger tips are having to redevelop the guitar calluses -- and I don't think that's age-related.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Sorry, Vexx. But, I have to admit: SH's words are probably more suited for men your age over here in Singapore, instead of a few thousand km away.
Considering the fact that the only window to the world here is pretty much only the net for us youngsters, combined with the pragmatism of WYSIWYG, conceiving such "degenerate" views of old people has become a norm many here have a hard time shaking off. I wouldn't truly believe anything until I have seen it.

I am not taking a punch at you or something, but I am just pointing out that age and injury take toll on the physical mind (brain). Apparently I was mixing with the wrong kind of old people or my streets are just full of these soylent green who think that their purpose in the rest of their life is to wait for death because they can't do anything else. I do understand your predicament, but I guess it is hard for me to believe that you would actually be doing these.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 03:17   Link #340
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Well, eyes can also be fooled and memories can go foggy. Remember those edited photos during your history lessons on Russia? That's before Photoshop. I guess my point is: people chose to believe what they believe. Unless they change their minds, outsiders can only do so much.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.