AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2009-04-15, 18:32   Link #21
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I can't get it out of me
It's breathing Inside me
It's reaching inside of you
You're feeling infected
You're being infected
It's just like the cold

A kiss on your lips
Now you're taking control

If you want to try and save me
Then take my heart don't hate me
If you feel you can't let go then let go

Folding@Home, Team Animesuki

Like this?
Code:
[size=1][wr][img]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2249/spacermuz.gif[/img][wr][img]http://www.digital-soul-drift.de/sig_apr28.jpg[/img][/wr]
I can't get it out of me
It's breathing Inside me
You're feeling infected
You're being infected
It's just like the cold[/wr]
A kiss on your lips

[B]Folding@Home, [URL="http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=49362"]Team Animesuki[/URL][/B]

[/size]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Yeah right tables... what do "we" need them for again
This will take a few hundred lines of code and explanation; I'll get back to you on this over pm.
Old 2009-04-15, 21:40   Link #22
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
@Cats:

Personally I didn't know that [wr] existed. But now I did, and if tables do break the layout of AS, then I say we don't need tables in signatures. I'll concede to that point. Maybe you should give me more of an explanation on what that tag does, because I can only imply some things by quoting your posts.

However, as you said, 800 ~ 900 width is good for windows. I admit that I don't browse AS full screen, but I agree with the 800 ~ 900 estimate. If so, then I still like my proposed "image + text width" of 640 pixels, since the avatar and personal info on the left of the screen takes roughly 150 pixels. Of course, both the image size and dimensions should stay the same since it means faster loading time no matter how fast your Internet is.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 21:56   Link #23
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The [wr] (wrap right) and [wl] (wrap left) tags are a little counter intuitively named. What they basically do is what is technacly called to float a element to the left or to the right (yes, backwards to what their name implies). For example lets say I have a image, I can use the [wr] tag to float text around it. In Jinto's signature I use one [wr] on the image to float text around it to the right, then put that and the first block of text in another [wr] tag and floated everything to the left of the second part. The rest is just alignment.

Example of wrapping ([wr] on the left and [wl] on the right)

Aliquam at arcu. Fusce sed turpis ut tellus iaculis egestas. Curabitur sit amet ipsum quis lacus pulvinar commodo. Phasellus adipiscing, odio in elementum ornare, eros ligula fringilla nisi, tincidunt sagittis odio ipsum eu urna. Sed lectus nibh, bibendum quis, venenatis at, pretium eu, sapien. Nullam vel ante ac tortor bibendum faucibus. Morbi vel mi. Praesent eu libero vel arcu volutpat dictum. Duis
lorem augue, fringilla vel, tempus et, porta ut, turpis. Mauris nibh. Aenean varius fermentum magna. In placerat. Aenean non leo. Praesent lacinia, arcu eget fringilla vehicula, justo sapien volutpat leo, sed tempus diam dui vitae augue. Sed eu nulla at nisi interdum sodales. Vivamus quis enim iaculis tortor sollicitudin luctus. Maecenas non ipsum. Mauris ac lectus. Proin aliquet aliquam erat. Vivamus faucibus.
Etiam sit amet dui in orci ullamcorper blandit. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Donec varius, erat lacinia aliquam tincidunt, enim nisl pellentesque velit, eget congue purus sapien ut metus. Proin tincidunt blandit sapien. Nam cursus facilisis velit. Vivamus libero neque, iaculis eget, mattis sit amet, luctus a, eros. Phasellus quam risus, congue nec, tempus at, euismod non, nunc. Curabitur cursus. In tincidunt fermentum ligula. Nunc tempus felis id lectus. Sed auctor venenatis mi. Praesent turpis sem, mollis a, rhoncus at, scelerisque a, dui. Fusce eu leo. Morbi cursus luctus lorem. Nullam eget leo. Curabitur consequat ligula. Praesent lacinia luctus ligula. Integer velit. Cras laoreet rutrum turpis. Donec nec nisi. Praesent aliquet auctor nisl. Nullam id metus a velit sodales cursus. Morbi orci felis, lobortis quis, auctor at, feugiat ac, diam.

If you are confused about anything just ask.
Old 2009-04-16, 03:06   Link #24
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
This will take a few hundred lines of code and explanation; I'll get back to you on this over pm.
Please don't, I meant this really in an ironical way.

I can't get it out of me
It's breathing Inside me
You're feeling infected
You're being infected
It's just like the cold

A kiss on your lips

Folding@Home, Team Animesuki

Code:
[size=1][wr][img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7819/spacerh.gif[/img]
[wr][img]http://www.digital-soul-drift.de/sig_apr28.jpg[/img][/wr]
I can't get it out of me
It's breathing Inside me
You're feeling infected
You're being infected
It's just like the cold[/wr]
[img]http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7819/spacerh.gif[/img]
A kiss on your lips

[B]Folding@Home, [URL="http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=49362"]Team Animesuki[/URL][/B]
[/size]
I think it works like this in the posting. I wonder if it looks the same in every browser though. I don't trust that WR tag much I have to admit.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 03:07   Link #25
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Yeah right tables... what do "we" need them for again
Making info lumps without breaking the rules of course, that's what tables were made for
Well it's not like they have a particular use, but then again, neither do signatures. Anyway, if you're really annoyed about it ask one of the mods to change the rules, there's no NEED for tables and I think most people can do without them too.
Old 2009-04-16, 08:02   Link #26
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
If you happen to know a way to place links for specific parts of the image (I know this works for HTML, but afaik such code is not alowed as BB-code isn't it?).
Nope, no image maps here. The best you can do is cut up the image, assign links to each piece, then display them concatenated together with no embedded spaces. My gallery signature uses that method to simulate an image map.
Old 2009-04-16, 12:50   Link #27
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
I don't trust that WR tag much I have to admit.
Floats are a CSS 1 property.

. . . . . .
Old 2009-04-16, 13:07   Link #28
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Floats are a CSS 1 property.

. . . . . .
So can I assume that every browser uses the same script size? I mean that would be a requirement for implementing those image spacers.
Old 2009-04-16, 13:18   Link #29
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

The same script size?
Old 2009-04-16, 13:19   Link #30
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
The same script size?
Ah sorry, excuse me. I meant font size actually
Old 2009-04-16, 13:22   Link #31
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I believe this forum sets the font size, so its not a problem unless anyone customizes it on purpose. See thumbnails.

Note: all modern browsers zoom images as well as fonts proportionally, and the exceptions (IE) do not zoom px fonts.
Old 2009-04-16, 13:26   Link #32
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
I believe this forum sets the font size, so its not a problem unless anyone customizes it on purpose. See thumbnails.
I see, then I may as well give up on my "we" need tables statement.
Old 2009-04-16, 15:56   Link #33
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Ok then back to the main topic,
Quote:
Signature rules:
  1. You can have both text and images in your signature; in any combination.
  2. Combining the size of all your images must not exceed 50,000 bytes (48.8k)
  3. Text can not be bigger then size 2
  4. A line of text is considered to be 20px tall regardless of font size.
  5. A line of text is considered to end every 64 characters*
  6. Any combination of lines and images must not exceed 160 pixels in height.
  7. Any combination of images must not exceed both 160 pixels in height and also 500 pixels in width.
If you have text on the right or left of any of your images consider your signature design a special case and apply the bellow.

For special cases: place the signature as is in a imaginary 500 x 160 pixel box, if it fits its legal. (rule 2 still applies!)

* copy/paste to any text editor (notepad etc) and look at the statusbar to determine how many characters you have
So what is wrong with this in comparison to the current ones?

Signature rules are there to prevent the problems, not just because we need to have rules; I too believe in letting people use common sense as much as possible. The current ones, as I and others have shown, are both too strict (covering cases that make no sense*) and also fail at achiving the set objective.

* a 140px tall image with 1 line under it should be considered Ok
Old 2009-04-16, 17:05   Link #34
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
  1. You can have both text and images in your signature; in any combination.
  2. Combining the size of all your images must not exceed 50,000 bytes (48.8k)
  3. Text can not be bigger then size 2
  4. A line of text is considered to be 20px tall regardless of font size.
  5. A line of text is considered to end every 64 characters*
  6. Any combination of lines and images must not exceed 160 pixels in height.
  7. Any combination of images must not exceed both 160 pixels in height and also 500 pixels in width.
You miss some of the important points about the signature rules and introduce several new issues as well.

First, from the Forum Rules
Quote:
3.0 Signature Rules
The Signature Rules are only loosely enforced.
This is quite important. The rules have been left intentionally vague in certain areas for a reason, for example, there is always going to be a subjective element in determining if the sig is valid or not. It's the same with the actual forum rules themselves, we cannot list every single element or aspect as to what is or what isn't allowed and it is pointless to try and do so.
Quote:
These rules are only a guideline. If the situation arises where we feel the spirit of the rules are being broken or abused, we may take retrospective action on the offender(s)
This viewpoint applies to the sig rules as well.

Now, as to your suggestions.

"Text can not be bigger then size 2"
Why? What is wrong with "Larger font sizes means that fewer lines are allowed."
"A line of text is considered to be 20px tall regardless of font size."
Why? As far as I can see a line of text is closer to 18 pixels but then I guess 20 is close enough.
"A line of text is considered to end every 64 characters"
Why? Text is proportional so this limit is going to cause more problems than ever.

The following are all 64 characters in width. How can you use this as a basis?
Quote:
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiii
.................................................. ..............
__________________________________________________ ______________
################################################## ##############
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWW
% % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % % %
Only about 39 "W" characters fit in a 500 pixel wide box yet about 160 "i" character can fit in the same space.

"If you have text on the right or left of any of your images consider your signature design a special case and apply the bellow."
Why make a special case out of this?

"For special cases: place the signature as is in a imaginary 500 x 160 pixel box, if it fits its legal."
One of the few things you included that may be of use but again, it is not more intuitive than what we have at the moment. You might understand the meaning behind the words but it is too specific to be part of the actual rules. What is meant by an "imaginary" box.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 17:49   Link #35
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Before I answer some of the above points and do some fixing and refactoring, I would just like to answer the following real quick:

I read the following very differently,
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
First, from the Forum Rules
Quote:
3.0 Signature Rules
The Signature Rules are only loosely enforced.
This is quite important. The rules have been left intentionally vague in certain areas for a reason, for example, there is always going to be a subjective element in determining if the sig is valid or not. It's the same with the actual forum rules themselves, we cannot list every single element or aspect as to what is or what isn't allowed and it is pointless to try and do so.
I remember such things as: "we only bother to remove most signature that break the rules when they are reported" (I can try to get the exact quote), and considering most discussions with regard to the rules in the past I've always read the "enforced" keyword in the sentence as: "we will turn a blind eye if it doesn't become a problem" (enforce = "authority") instead of "these are only guidlines" (enforce = "application"). It seems a very easy mistake to make, given that the rules themeselvs have long since had a "iron trap" (= "no exceptions", effects everyone) application policy. Even though you mentioned it now, I'm still a little confused as to how far and where you want to go with that statement in the rules.

Quote:
"A line of text is considered to be 20px tall regardless of font size."
Why? As far as I can see a line of text is closer to 18 pixels but then I guess 20 is close enough.
160px height divided by 6 (current policy for text only) is roughly 26-27px. This seemed extremely large, given that the standard for the web is set somewhere around 16px and adding corresponding line-height we would get as you pointed out to 18px ~ 19px I simply evened it out to 20px. This also partially accounts for small discrempencies in font rendering on systems (mac fonts always looked larger to me for example) and also makes for easy math. Note that with way its phrased the rules make no mention of 6 lines of text, but rather 160px of lines, so that would mean you can have 8 lines of text (which seems the fair amount).

Quote:
"If you have text on the right or left of any of your images consider your signature design a special case and apply the bellow."
Why make a special case out of this?
A few cases where people could do something like: place a image then some text and then another image, all on the same line, could cause the text to act as a spacer betwean images and they might not wrap if directly one after the other. There is also the question of what happens when it wraps. The images may meet the 500px width limit but they may wrap in such a way they become more then 160px in cumulative height. So, I just placed it as a special case to avoid unpredicatable cases.
Old 2009-04-16, 18:01   Link #36
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
I read the following very differently,I remember such things as: "we only bother to remove most signature that break the rules when they are reported" (I can try to get the exact quote)
I would suggest your memory is at fault here since this is incorrect. We remove oversize sigs if we notice them, Reports help us notice a lot of oversize sigs but we would remove oversize sigs even if they haven't been reported.
Quote:
A few cases where people could do something like: place a image then some text and then another image, all on the same line, could cause the text to act as a spacer betwean images and they might not wrap if directly one after the other. There is also the question of what happens when it wraps. The images may meet the 500px width limit but they may wrap in such a way they become more then 160px in cumulative height. So, I just placed it as a special case to avoid unpredicatable cases.
It's not that I didn't understand or question the logic, I'm asking why it is treated as a special case. Most people will just ignore the "special case" and simply assume it wouldn't aplly to them. The question I asked is why make it a special case "outside" the usual rules. If you are going to include it then it should be integral to the rules themsleves.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 18:25   Link #37
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
I would suggest your memory is at fault here since this is incorrect. We remove oversize sigs if we notice them, Reports help us notice a lot of oversize sigs but we would remove oversize sigs even if they haven't been reported.
I guess I read too much into some words more then others,
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
You know, the moderators (I love 'em but they are not just mine ) don't actually spend their time looking for signature that violate the rules. Signatures are either obviously outside of the rules and just get noticed or someone points them out.
My bad, point taken.

Quote:
If you are going to include it then it should be integral to the rules themsleves.
Hm, interestig, I understand. To me a "idea" starts with heading and will not end until a new heading is reached; lists are just another way of writing, I simply wrote it like that to avoid making a hard to follow paragraph. Anyway, I see the difference in perception problem.
Old 2009-04-16, 18:44   Link #38
Lord Uiruu

yeah i agree that is annoying............
and why cant they just put all that useless information on their profiles?
Lord Uiruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 18:58   Link #39
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
So basically, if a signature is annoying we report it. Otherwise, who cares unless it's obviously annoying? I can live with that.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 21:14   Link #40
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

KholdStare: "anoying" is too subjective, but yes having a simple rule that just works is the idea.

The 500px width and 160px height thing is one major headache. Its simple, but not something simple enough for simple minded people to understand properly IMO. I've tried to bypass the entire philosophy behind it as much as possible.

Also, 50000 bytes thing should really just be 50Kb as in 51200 bytes. It then does not matter what people understand by 50kb, unlike now where people are punished for wrongfully understanding 50k bytes as equal to 50kb. Is 1.2k bytes that big of a deal?

Anyway, what do you think of this version xris?

draft #2

Signature guidelines:

We allow signatures if they can fit in a imaginary 500 pixel wide and 160 pixel high box and the total size of the images is only at most 50,000 bytes (that's 48.8Kb). They do not need to fit in the box all the time, but must fit if we place them in one. If bits of your signature stick out of the imaginary box bunnies might grab hold and your signature will be eaten!

This is how big a imaginary 500 x 160 pixel box is:

Detailed version:
  1. A signature can not be more then 50,000 bytes (48.8Kb). We only add up image sizes.
  2. A signature can have text, images and bbcode. Yes, you can have links.
  3. Signatures can not take more then 160 pixels in vertical space (height). We consider normal text tacking 16px.
    With size formatting, going from size=1 to size=7 in order, the values are: 12px, 16px, 18px, 23px, 32px, 40px, 56px.
  4. A signature must be capable of fitting in the space of 500px. Once limited to that space, the height must still be no more then 160 pixels.