AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-04-14, 04:40   Link #1
wontaek

If you could influence making animated version of Lord Of The Rings?

I trust there are enough of you who knows Lord of Rings and things that is not anime for this hypothetical thought play.

Suppose you have a say on a animated production of Lord of Rings that was backed by an entity who can allow you to use any animated character design without worrying about copyright, and who could even bring dead people back to life to work for you. Which character design will you use for the characters in the Lord of the Rings? I have seen the previous animated versions, and while I like the Gandalf and the hobbits, other characters had much to be desired, especially Eowyn and Aragorn. Will you cast Fate Testarossa for Eowyn or blond hair version of Isamaym Yomi? Who would you use for the voice actors? Will you go with Noto Mamiko, Tanaka Rie, Liv Tyler, Julia Roberts, or Vivian Leigh for Arwen's voice? How about the music? Will you use John Williams, Richard Wagner, Verdi, or Orito Shinji? Will you keep Ian McKellen and Christopher Lee's voice or will you use someone else? How about Koyama Rikiya's voice for one of the roles? How about making this a complete joke by casting Anzelotte from Night Wizard for role of Elrond, and Harima Kenji for Aragorn?
Old 2009-04-14, 04:44   Link #2
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
If I were to make it an animated thing I would personally not pick for 2D unless it looks a bit more western and is more of a 2D/3D (2D looking but 3D build), but personally I would go for 3D in this case
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 04:53   Link #3
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
If I were to make it an animated thing I would personally not pick for 2D unless it looks a bit more western and is more of a 2D/3D (2D looking but 3D build), but personally I would go for 3D in this case
I guess you are going for serious choice. The Lord of Rings Animated film did use mix of animated shots with real live shots, to good effect in places, but I was disappointed with Galadriel. I also thought about making a spoof by casting Yoko from xxxHolic for the role of Arwen.
Old 2009-04-15, 08:55   Link #4
Solafighter
Hige

There are movies, that should be never animated. Lorf of the Rings is one of them.
Old 2009-04-15, 09:17   Link #5
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Actually, what I would love to see would be a collaborative work like The Animatrix... i.e. a bunch of different avant guard animation studios, each do one of the stories in "The lost tales" or "The silmarillion".
15-30 minutes for each one, in whatever animation style fits best... That would be a great way to tell some more lore of Middle Earth but also make for an artistically interesting work.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 10:51   Link #6
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
Quote:
There are movies, that should be never animated. Lorf of the Rings is one of them
yup, i agree, sort of...lotr wouldnt be lotr if it was animated. more precisely, i think that the movies convey the atmosphere so well, that there is no need for anything else.
oh, and Record of lodoss war is the closest thing to lotr animated imo, if anyone's interested...
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 11:31   Link #7
james0246

Couldn't we just animate the Wheel of Time series instead...

That being said, I am with Quarkboy on this (but for potentially different reasons). The live action movies far exceeded my expectations, so I see no reason for any animated versions of the same movies. So, instea, let's add some much needed back story by animating the vast history found pre-Hobbit. That would be far more interesting, and then you wouldn't have to worry about stepping on anyone's toes regarding comparissons to the live action films.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 12:18   Link #8
Xacual
The color of a Hero

I know this is kind of hypothetical but aren't there already animated versions of the Hobbit + Lord of the Rings. I'm pretty sure I watched them when I was a kid...
Old 2009-04-15, 15:25   Link #9
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
there are, and they are horrible. at least one of them is, and AFAIK they all are western and old, which doesnt say anything in their favor.
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 05:21   Link #10
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Three words: WILL. NEVER. HAPPEN.

Just as Wheel of Time was never made into full-length feature films, game adaptions (the one WoT game for the PC does not follow the books), or animated productions. LoTR is already in films and games. I doubt anyone would consider such a thing.
Old 2009-04-16, 05:44   Link #11
Justin Kim
*Artist

6 Words: I DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN.

I couldn't stand watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy in the theaters, I don't know why. Some parts were impressive, other time I got annoyed at the actors ability to emulate such non-realistic emotions. Either way, the impression I got was, I am so going to read this book, instead of lounging around the theater for 2+ hours.
Old 2009-04-16, 06:05   Link #12
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Whoever sat in the theater to watch the 3 movies (except for those who watched the Extended versions) missed out quite a bit of stuff. Altogether, roughly 1 hour's worth of extra footage are in the DVDs.

That said, it's a massive challenge to animate the books. If we are to include every song, dance, what have you, it can easily run for 10 hours.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-04-16 at 06:16.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 08:32   Link #13
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Send a message via Skype™ to Throne Invader
I also think things are better the way they are. But it's nice sharing a piece of your imagination Mr.wontaek

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 09:29   Link #14
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

As much as i love anime i'm not eager to see an animated version of lotr. Actually, generally speaking, i prefer anime with original stories rather than anime based on western books. In the latter case i'd rather read the books.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 09:32   Link #15
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise

Too many male characters. That is sexist.

So, I would replace all the important characters with female characters. As the character designer, I would hire Shimada Fumikane that would also supply the directors with ideas. I would want as directors Junichi Sato and Keiichiro Kawaguchi.
Kimura sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 11:32   Link #16
Kamui4356
Aria Company

I'm not sure of everything I'd do in it, but I can guarantee it'd have Leonard Nimoy singing.

Also Spectacular_Insanity, your sig is breaking the page layout. Not everyone is using resolutions that can handle that.
Old 2009-04-16, 11:57   Link #17
lubczyk

How about you animate something original instead of adapting every movie/book/comic under the sun. I mean, who really asked for Gotham Knight and Ultraviolet to be made into an anime? As much as it pains an anime fan as myself, I'm getting tired of new Macross/Gundam/Star Wars/Star Trek/Terminator shows/movies coming out every so often - let the series die or bloody put an ending on it.
lubczyk is offline   Reply With Quote