AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2011-11-24, 04:18   Link #2221
Flere821
Lurker

Twice the Misfortune, Chapter 5 is out:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7409145/...the_Misfortune
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 08:28   Link #2222
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

I can only imagine what kind of power up Fiamma has in Touko's universe so he could cast her into the blaghole or whatever.

Believer of the Great Sumeragi.

One Does Not Simply Make Touma A Good Protagonist ~ The Truth.

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Mr.Kyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 11:19   Link #2223
Ashaman

I think it might not jut be Fiamma is more powerful, but that (with no Index) Touko wasn't in the right place at the right time like Touma was. Touko wouldn't have gone to England, so she wont have met Lessar nor hve helped end the civil war. This might mean England can't get involved in the war.

Or that Fiamma might have had more foreknowledge of Touko, and so was not completely WTFing when The Invisible Thing popped out.

And all together, Touma seems (correct me if I'm wrong flere) to have an overall better relationship/ability to inspire others, something that had a subtle but important impact in the overall battle against Fiamma.

Rather than one big thing, its more like lots of little thing.
Old 2011-11-24, 12:21   Link #2224
Twi

The next chapter of Lightning and Wind is out.
Spoiler for Release:
Old 2011-11-24, 17:35   Link #2225
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
I think it might not just be Fiamma is more powerful, but that (with no Index) Touko wasn't in the right place at the right time like Touma was. Touko wouldn't have gone to England, so she wont have met Lessar nor hve helped end the civil war. This might mean England can't get involved in the war.

Or that Fiamma might have had more foreknowledge of Touko, and so was not completely WTFing when The Invisible Thing popped out.

And all together, Touma seems (correct me if I'm wrong flere) to have an overall better relationship/ability to inspire others, something that had a subtle but important impact in the overall battle against Fiamma.

Rather than one big thing, its more like lots of little thing.
Yeah, pretty much those two points. Fiamma of Touko's world was shocked, but the Invisible Thing coming out was expected to happen.

And rather than say Touko mess up on the final fight is the deciding factor (eg, used the wrong attack or was distracted), many things contributed to Touko's defeat.
Anyone here played Fate/Stay Night Visual Novel, galgames or anything like that? If you don't raise enough flags then even if you progress through the story at a certain point your lack of flags get you a Bad End. Touko missed quite a few flags, and made a few wrong choices (most prominent example thus far is not taking Index with her when the Necklace's broken), which lead to her Bad End. I'll be showing some of these mistakes via flashbacks, to contrast what she did compared to what Touma did.

As for Touma having better relationships (or whatever he has that Touko lacked), that'll probably come out within the next few chapters.
Old 2011-11-24, 19:53   Link #2226
Ashaman

I get the feeling that, while Touko has maxed Friendship points with some people, (Mikoto the most prominant example), Touma has an higher overall average.

To put it in Numbers.

Touko has;
Mikoto:100
Index:40
Itsuwa:50
Fukiyose:50
The Sisters:70

Touma has;
Mikoto:85
Index:85
Itsuwa:75
Fukiyose:40
The Sisters:80

Or to put it more bluntly, by making a choice and focusing her affection in that direction, she cut off her own harem route, which just happened to be the route that leads to the Best End.

I imagine it might have something to do with Touko having an overall easier time dealing with enemies, in contrast to Touma who sweated and bleed for his victories, giving a greater impact than the girl who dealt with the enemy with more ease.

I mean who are you going to admire more, the girl who fought for you and won without too much difficulty, or the guy who quite obviously put his life on the line to fight for you, and came out of it a bloody but victorious mess?

Ah, well. This is just my impression. I look forward to seeing if I'm right or wrong, or if I'm even in the ball park.
Old 2011-11-24, 20:30   Link #2227
Eratas123

Has it ever been confirmed that gremlins is human?
Old 2011-11-24, 22:37   Link #2228
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Yeah, pretty much those two points. Fiamma of Touko's world was shocked, but the Invisible Thing coming out was expected to happen.
How can he be shocked if he expected it

"Kyon has set his 'enemy that must be defeated' to be 'bad writing' of the world. The more there is, the stronger his Holy Crack " ~ Chaos2Frozen.
Old 2011-11-25, 00:27   Link #2229
Eratas123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Kyon View Post
How can he be shocked if he expected it
Expecting an explosion doesn't mean you don't flinch when you see it. Maybe he was surprised it showed up but expected it to happen and had counter measures planned? Expecting something doesn't mean it can't be shocking.

Alternatively, maybe he was expecting something to come out, just not the "invisible thing" that was mentioned.
Old 2011-11-25, 03:37   Link #2230
Twi

Touko is a bit of a reality warper...which may have led to her downfall.
Kamijou struggled and it moved people's hearts as a result, she basically did in Terra with no problems. Did she even struggle against Accelerator?

But why not tell Tsuchimikado the truth? He could handle it.

How many people gave you flack about Misaka being in a Yuri pairing with Touko?

And Flere, you know you have a ton of references to FSN in both your stories right? (This wasn't a bad thing, I just wanted you to know I noticed. I've got quite a few myself.)
Old 2011-11-25, 05:18   Link #2231
Ashaman

Quote:
Touko is a bit of a reality warper...which may have led to her downfall.
Kamijou struggled and it moved people's hearts as a result, she basically did in Terra with no problems. Did she even struggle against Accelerator?
Which reminds me of something Touko said this chapter.

EXP. She had too easy a time of her battles, and so hadn't level grinded enough for the Final Boss.

Touma's different from the start.
Old 2011-11-25, 05:45   Link #2232
Eratas123

Touma doesn't seem that different, really. His range of techniques for takedowns increased but the main point (imagine breaker punch) stays the same. Though he does seem to get more agile as the series progresses.
Old 2011-11-25, 18:00   Link #2233
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Expecting an explosion doesn't mean you don't flinch when you see it. Maybe he was surprised it showed up but expected it to happen and had counter measures planned? Expecting something doesn't mean it can't be shocking.

Alternatively, maybe he was expecting something to come out, just not the "invisible thing" that was mentioned.
Fiamma knew what was coming - but seeing the real thing was still shocking (and the Invisible Thing wasn't thought to be that powerful in Fiamma's eyes - thus the surprise of 'oh FRAK this, I wasn't expecting it to be this troublesome'). The explosion example is pretty good, even if you know intellectually a explosion will happen doesn't mean you'll act like nothing's wrong when the sound/heat/light reach you and knock you off your feet - especially if you're seeing a explosion in person for the 1st time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Did she even struggle against Accelerator?

But why not tell Tsuchimikado the truth? He could handle it.

How many people gave you flack about Misaka being in a Yuri pairing with Touko?

And Flere, you know you have a ton of references to FSN in both your stories right? (This wasn't a bad thing, I just wanted you to know I noticed. I've got quite a few myself.)
1) Accelerator was a bit... 'different' compared to the somewhat-crazy albino in Touma's world during the Level 6 Shift project. If I ever write a flashback of that scene expect the difficulty of the battle switched from physical (eg ability vs ability, like how Touma struggled to land a hit on Accelerator once vector long range attacks came into play) to emotional. The actual fight was less about the powers clashing (not that it wasn't awesome by itself; Accel was probably smart enough to start throwing those steel crates around like nothing when trying to reverse bloodflow failed), but the way I envisioned it to go was it's less about the fight and more about the clash of emotions, ideals and thoughts.

2) the issue is not about if Tsuchimikado can or can't handle it, but that he won't believe her straight away. To him, Touko's still a relatively unknown factor and a certain degree of caution is only natural.

3)Flak about yuri pairing? I don't think I've seen much on that... nobody's PMed me and raged about that AFAIK, and I haven't seen reviews that complained about it.

4) I have references to FSN? I know I threw one in on MMM, but do I actually have that many? >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
Which reminds me of something Touko said this chapter.

EXP. She had too easy a time of her battles, and so hadn't level grinded enough for the Final Boss.

Touma's different from the start.
Ever played a game where you get exp depending on the actions you performed in the battle? Touma fought hard and used his mind to think of ways to apply his only weapon optimally (When all you have is a hammer), while Touko wasn't pushed as hard and so less exp gained. Thus Touma gets the 'support skill: precognition' shown against Accel's Black Wings on Russia (and more recently drunken electricity dodging), while Touko gets the lesser benefit of knowing when to use Imagine Breaker or when to fall back and rely on other skills/allies, not HOW to use them better like Touma did.

The difference isn't just 'exp gained', with 'strategy difference and/or mindset' being involved too. I've already planned out a part in the next chapter covering this, hopefully it'll give more answers.

Keep the questions/comments coming people, it keeps me thinking and refining the story (and more importantly, makes me motivated to write more)
Old 2011-11-25, 19:36   Link #2234
Sumeragi
Banned

I like Flere821's fanfic.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-25, 20:42   Link #2235
Twi

Quote:
Fiamma knew what was coming - but seeing the real thing was still shocking (and the Invisible Thing wasn't thought to be that powerful in Fiamma's eyes - thus the surprise of 'oh FRAK this, I wasn't expecting it to be this troublesome'). The explosion example is pretty good, even if you know intellectually a explosion will happen doesn't mean you'll act like nothing's wrong when the sound/heat/light reach you and knock you off your feet - especially if you're seeing a explosion in person for the 1st time.

1) Accelerator was a bit... 'different' compared to the somewhat-crazy albino in Touma's world during the Level 6 Shift project. If I ever write a flashback of that scene expect the difficulty of the battle switched from physical (eg ability vs ability, like how Touma struggled to land a hit on Accelerator once vector long range attacks came into play) to emotional. The actual fight was less about the powers clashing (not that it wasn't awesome by itself; Accel was probably smart enough to start throwing those steel crates around like nothing when trying to reverse bloodflow failed), but the way I envisioned it to go was it's less about the fight and more about the clash of emotions, ideals and thoughts.

2) the issue is not about if Tsuchimikado can or can't handle it, but that he won't believe her straight away. To him, Touko's still a relatively unknown factor and a certain degree of caution is only natural.

3)Flak about yuri pairing? I don't think I've seen much on that... nobody's PMed me and raged about that AFAIK, and I haven't seen reviews that complained about it.

4) I have references to FSN? I know I threw one in on MMM, but do I actually have that many? >.>

Ever played a game where you get exp depending on the actions you performed in the battle? Touma fought hard and used his mind to think of ways to apply his only weapon optimally (When all you have is a hammer), while Touko wasn't pushed as hard and so less exp gained. Thus Touma gets the 'support skill: precognition' shown against Accel's Black Wings on Russia (and more recently drunken electricity dodging), while Touko gets the lesser benefit of knowing when to use Imagine Breaker or when to fall back and rely on other skills/allies, not HOW to use them better like Touma did.

The difference isn't just 'exp gained', with 'strategy difference and/or mindset' being involved too. I've already planned out a part in the next chapter covering this, hopefully it'll give more answers.

Keep the questions/comments coming people, it keeps me thinking and refining the story (and more importantly, makes me motivated to write more)
1.) Well, I don't think Touko would be able to embody the same emotions that Kamijou did towards Accelerator. Leaving the rioters to tear themselves apart was effective, but downright cold compared to Touma would do. If anything, she seemed more like a magician who was willing to let others burn to accomplish her goals, instead of an ending where she's the only one injured. What some of the others said was right, she cultivated her romance with Mikoto rather than focus on building a bigger average, so while she may have had more happiness in romance, it only made her failure sting even harder.

2.) Fair enough.

3.) Well, the Raildex fanbase is more open to the subject...and Touko is Kamijou, so it is technically Kamijou x Misaka...

4.) Aside from that drown in you own ideas line, you have a few lines that seem like they came from FSN, like in MMM, it felt like Misaka was doing a rendition of the end part of Three Wings Crane in chapter 5 I think. It's not so much the subject, but the elements and influences are slightly more apparent.

If you didn't notice, it's probably because you've absorbed the materials to the point that it seemed natural as if your own.

Then again, this is coming from me so take it with a grain of salt.

Edit: I read some of the reviews and I've got to say some people are jerks, page 7 was especially bad about Gunha.

@ Sumeragi

What, no love for mine? I'm hurt!

I slave over a hot laptop, crafting a +40,000 word To Aru fanfic (I should check the records on this) for the amusement of the people, and I get no love....

I kid, if anything, I just happy with getting more than 50 visitors a day on my blog now, compared to the times when even five visitors was rare.

But seriously, longest thing I've written yet.

Last edited by Twi; 2011-11-26 at 16:54.
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 06:12   Link #2236
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
@ Sumeragi

What, no love for mine? I'm hurt!

I slave over a hot laptop, crafting a +40,000 word To Aru fanfic (I should check the records on this) for the amusement of the people, and I get no love....
I always print out what I deem quality writings, so it'll be some time before I get yours done and read. Be patient
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-26, 18:22   Link #2237
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
1.) Well, I don't think Touko would be able to embody the same emotions that Kamijou did towards Accelerator. Leaving the rioters to tear themselves apart was effective, but downright cold compared to Touma would do. If anything, she seemed more like a magician who was willing to let others burn to accomplish her goals, instead of an ending where she's the only one injured. What some of the others said was right, she cultivated her romance with Mikoto rather than focus on building a bigger average, so while she may have had more happiness in romance, it only made her failure sting even harder.
I can only say Misaka Mikoto was involved. Touko might be able to steel her heart at times towards (a) bystanders or people she don't know in (b) situations she can't change (ie, the riots are a effect and not the cause, hence destroying the C-Document is the priority to stop the problems), but when it comes to the one she loves?

Oh yeah, it's gonna hurt. Neither (a) or (b) applied to the Level 6 Shift experiment with Accelerator here, and this is her lover being broken apart emotionally throughout the past week/s in front of her eyes. And this is not going into what I have changed Accel into in Touko's verse too - I never did say Touko is the one that will be hurting in that battle, or if there will be only be limited to 1-2 people feeling the pain
Suffice to say, it's messy and complicated.

(I'll give a character bio and/or backstory of Accelerator in Touko's world if enough people asks for it here, this won't be playing a major part in the fic so I can afford to reveal it outside a chapter)
Old 2011-11-26, 18:39   Link #2238
Mr.Kyon
I crack you up

^I want to know, Uncle Flere.

Old 2011-11-28, 19:17   Link #2239
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Ah, what luck. So I've stumbled upon yet another work from my personal favorite crossover set, and it's of 2ch origin. Better yet, a sequel currently in progress. Been a while.

(Be reminded: this is 2ch. So guess what language it'll be. And no, I'm not your resident lord god of a translator. )

Das TouMAN makes his endeavors in a certain sad magical girl universe doing his usual job, saving damsels whether they're in distress or not, and with the added bonus of raising Black and Yellow Ranger's flags. Complete with more than a dozen omakes.

And they just wrote a sequel which happens to be in-progress (look at the date of the most recent post).

Though, I expect something good when both Black and Yellow goes "Kamijou~♪/Kamijou-kun~♪" ... of course, that's more FUKOU DA™ material for him.

Kind of a Fix Fic (so it seems, then again I suppose anything written that obliterates the saddest parts in that other show can be considered as a Fix Fic), though what they need I think, is Aogami to join in the story to complete the Delta Force. I can imagine how funny it'll be when the Baka Trio defeats a Witch by overloading its brain with utter silliness, but seems they're aiming for a more serious story and I can see why that isn't their aim.

By the way, a certain other Kamijou from the other universe this fanfic is written in becomes the third dude in Aogami's place. And also he gave his in-series love interest her much needed happy ending. Well, at least this Kamijou is now properly involved, or so I guess.

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-28, 19:25   Link #2240
Twi

Quote:

(I'll give a character bio and/or backstory of Accelerator in Touko's world if enough people asks for it here, this won't be playing a major part in the fic so I can afford to reveal it outside a chapter)
While you're at it spill about aqcua as well.

Tags
character, crack, crossover ideas, discussion, fanfiction