AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2013-04-06, 15:47   Link #3081
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingbreath View Post
Because a toaru/green arrow crossover wouldn't have much of a fanbase.
But taking your question seriously the bow and arrow is not a very common weapon. It is a worse version of a gun so why would anyone with common sense bother to choose it over a gun?
But people do get killed or defeated in quite creative ways, not just bullets. I once had Misaka cut a mecha in half using another mecha's giant sword arm.
The same reason why special forces do still use them.

The same reason a number of FPS still presents them as viable weapons.

A compose bow or crossbows is stealth weapon- more silent than a gun even with a suppressor. I believe they could also penetrate ballistic body armor that was design against bullets and shrapnel. Not too sure how it would affect aerodynamics if you attach explosives though...

But my point is, it's weird to hear 'A bullet between the eyes could kill 95% of all the powerful magicians and ESPers in the story yet no one uses them.'

You mean they're *gasp!* human like us ?!

In all seriousness, remember the setting of the story- you're less likely to find guns use in Japan unlike America.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 17:17   Link #3082
Dyingbreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
The same reason why special forces do still use them.

The same reason a number of FPS still presents them as viable weapons.

A compose bow or crossbows is stealth weapon- more silent than a gun even with a suppressor. I believe they could also penetrate ballistic body armor that was design against bullets and shrapnel. Not too sure how it would affect aerodynamics if you attach explosives though...

But my point is, it's weird to hear 'A bullet between the eyes could kill 95% of all the powerful magicians and ESPers in the story yet no one uses them.'

You mean they're *gasp!* human like us ?!

In all seriousness, remember the setting of the story- you're less likely to find guns use in Japan unlike America.
I suppose you're right to some extent but I still frown when I see people who know of Touma and his abilities still trying to beat him with spells rather than, I don't know, anything else.
By the way, the spells that they throw around suggest that they dont' care much about stealth. Plus that's only for multiple opponents where the shot could warn people. It's harder to get off an arrow stealthily than a bullet and it's harder to hide a bow than a gun.
Dyingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 17:28   Link #3083
Welsh_Dragon
The Red Dragon Emperor

As Sagittarius in fairy tail once said "depending on how one shoots it is possible to pierce through or shatter, as it were." So the capability (cross)bows and arrows are are only limited by the person using them. And as Chaos said are good for stealth missions for the lack of noise.
Welsh_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 17:34   Link #3084
Dyingbreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh_Dragon View Post
As Sagittarius in fairy tail once said "depending on how one shoots it is possible to pierce through or shatter, as it were." So the capability (cross)bows and arrows are are only limited by the person using them. And as Chaos said are good for stealth missions for the lack of noise.
Ok, I wish you and chaos good luck in your toaru/green arrow crossover. I'll be sure to read it when it's done, so what are you gonna call it?
Old 2013-04-06, 18:43   Link #3085
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching

Quote:
I suppose you're right to some extent but I still frown when I see people who know of Touma and his abilities still trying to beat him with spells rather than, I don't know, anything else.
We talked about this before several times- It's a matter of principal.

A magician is someone who takes pride in their magic, they have worked hard to gain this power, they have abandon their normal life and possibly made untold sacrifices to get to where they are. For them to resort to a weapon of science it's like saying, in the end you failed and still came back to this.

Magicians are all about ideals; if they were logic driven then they wouldn't have looked for non-scientific means to begin with.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-04-06 at 20:19.
Old 2013-04-06, 20:18   Link #3086
agetreme
One_Turn_Kill(Myself)

Quote:
People aren't actually that fragile. And technically just about everyone dies in one of two ways in a battle. Bleeding out, which is quite slow and only as lethal as it is because blood-loss combined with shock often knocks people unconscious, or infection, which doesn't happen until days afterwards. Being stabbed in the gun isn't fatal until you lose enough blood from the wound to make it so.
Not really, depending on where you are being stab. If somebody stab you in the lung and pull the knife out, you are at risk of lung collapsing.

Though I admit you are right. Human may be fragile but we are quite tough! It would take us a while to die even if the wound is actually fatal.

I think around 4 minutes before our brain stop functioning after our heart being removed or crushed. Probably a few minutes longer for other vital organs (with the exception of our brain).

Quote:
There is also the whole suffocation thing (which includes killer bees since death from those is induced by a swollen neck preventing breathing) but that can be easily prevented if anyone's there and is kind of... anticlimactic.
Yea but... probably the last resort/ deus-ex-machina that is actually believable.

Some people shoot fire, lightning, rainbow, bullet, explosion thingy. The person most likely capable of killing Accelerator(at full powered without being nerfed)....

Is actually the guy who can command insects.

Accelerator: "BEEEESSS!!!" *run away*

On the upside, if he can kill zerg-rushing insects, it would greatly reduce the pest population.

==

*Age record down Insect Command as level 2 Esper's ability*

Why not level 3 and above?
Scientists: "Ha! what can ants do?"

Insect controlling ability IS an awesome power if you can get past the creepy crawlies factors.

The school which my main lead attend.... is half-filled with level 0 Skill-outs and the other half, Esper with useless powers for others to laugh at.

It is not a school for Esper but freaks and clowns.

Is there any wonder why they are always at the short end of the Academy City's budget (*cough*parameter*list*cough*)
Old 2013-04-06, 20:37   Link #3087
Dyingbreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by agetreme View Post
Not really, depending on where you are being stab. If somebody stab you in the lung and pull the knife out, you are at risk of lung collapsing.

Though I admit you are right. Human may be fragile but we are quite tough! It would take us a while to die even if the wound is actually fatal.

I think around 4 minutes before our brain stop functioning after our heart being removed or crushed. Probably a few minutes longer for other vital organs (with the exception of our brain).

Yea but... probably the last resort/ deus-ex-machina that is actually believable.

Some people shoot fire, lightning, rainbow, bullet, explosion thingy. The person most likely capable of killing Accelerator(at full powered without being nerfed)....

Is actually the guy who can command insects.

Accelerator: "BEEEESSS!!!" *run away*

On the upside, if he can kill zerg-rushing insects, it would greatly reduce the pest population.

==

*Age record down Insect Command as level 2 Esper's ability*

Why not level 3 and above?
Scientists: "Ha! what can ants do?"

Insect controlling ability IS an awesome power if you can get past the creepy crawlies factors.

The school which my main lead attend.... is half-filled with level 0 Skill-outs and the other half, Esper with useless powers for others to laugh at.

It is not a school for Esper but freaks and clowns.

Is there any wonder why they are always at the short end of the Academy City's budget (*cough*parameter*list*cough*)
Well in my fic I typically need to worry more about what doesn't kill someone, both because my protagonist doesn't kill and because I so severely beat up the characters in my story that I need to make sure the damage wouldn't kill them. So I take comfort in the fact that humans are suprisingly durable (as shown by the fact that 1/3 of the people who are stabbed in the heart survive and 95% of people who get to a doctor on time survive being shot((100% if that doctor is heaven canceler))) and so as long as I follow the chunky salsa rule I should be fine.

Oh and choking doesn't have to be a deus ex machina. It could be someone using telekinesis intelligently. Telekinesis that doesn't require direct line of sight could be used to do all kinds of nasty things. Cause a stroke, lesion, heart attack, or other horrible injuries with the greatest of ease.
Old 2013-04-06, 22:53   Link #3088
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I never was big on religion... oh well another crapload of wiki reading for me!
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 00:27   Link #3089
agetreme
One_Turn_Kill(Myself)

Spoiler for Story proposal thingy:

Last edited by agetreme; 2013-04-07 at 12:40.
agetreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 02:33   Link #3090
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Hmm so after reading through the wiki and utterly failing to absorb anything I'll just pump this out.

Name: Taki Amagi (heavenly tree/robe/demon with many histories)
Alignment: Magic-side, Anglican Church mercenary
Magician name: (can't think of one cuz I don't know what the basis for these magician names is.)
skills:
- in hand to hand combat, including but not limited to brawling, actual martial arts forms and acrobatics.
- knock out spell, which doubles as memory erasure. People who are versed in magic or have wills stronger than the one imposed by Taki are not affected.
- limited hypnosis which puts the target under illusion but only in their head.
- swapping self with another self in another universe.
- ritualistic exorcisms.

Alternate Taki 1
skills:
- master swordsman
- rune user. He has runes carved all over his body and even his sword
- he makes use of enchantments and are different from the existing system of runes Index is familiar with.

Alternate Taki 2
- skilled marksman who uses an alchemy gun.
- can concoct many forms of unnatural substances beyond conventional science.
- makes use of ether born energies to drive his alchemy.
- His form of alchemy uses conduit circles which he normally draws on paper. They are written with the reaction needed to be performed and the materials needed. Once all materials for reaction is within reach, all he does is infuse a tiny bit of mana to get it going. This form of alchemy is also foreign to what Index is familiar to.
Old 2013-04-07, 05:07   Link #3091
OverNOut
The Obsever

@agetreme, that Thousand Power sounds a lot like HSS (Hysteria Mode) from Hidan no Aria. Also, I keep picturing Tetsu Jin as someone like Iron Man from Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu even though you probably based him of Tokiwadai Dorm Supervisor.
OverNOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 05:10   Link #3092
tsunade666

magicians name is base on what your goal or your meaning or reason in life is then add numbers to make it original from the others or to avoid duplicate of names.

Salvare = Salvation
Fortis = Strongest
Regnum = Kingdom
Intimus = "I offer everything to my lost friend" ( I don't know what it means)
Basis = "The one who carries the basis"
Fallare = The backstabbing blade = false? not sure
Armare = I don't know what it means but wiki says armaments. And Mark has a lots of them

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 05:13   Link #3093
demino_hellsin
That one guy

That helps out a lot. Seriously. Each of them already has different goals so despite being technically the same person, they have their own goals, wants, needs, likes, dislikes so magician name will probably be one of the few things that distinguish them from one another. Though I don't remember why magicians have to announce it when they fight. O.o
Old 2013-04-07, 05:22   Link #3094
tsunade666

They announce it because it signifies that they are putting everything on the line. Even their dreams, hopes, and goal into this battle. The life of a magician is a insignificant thing (aside that if its your meaning in life) compare to the magician's goal.

Remember a magician or a magic user ended up using magic because they are already at their limit. Desperate to further their goal or achieve it. They result in using magic and magic isn't something one do for entertainment. Magic needs sacrifice and a magician is willing to sacrifice anything to reach their goal. Their lives, lovers, comrades or even their souls.

Announcing the magician's name signifies a lot if you look into the meaning of why there is a magician's name.

Old 2013-04-07, 05:52   Link #3095
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching

You don't need to force them to have a magician name though.
Old 2013-04-07, 09:42   Link #3096
demino_hellsin
That one guy

Taki(original)'s hypnosis also works on himself. He does this to produce a pseudo physical boost spell.

Taki(original) - Credo724

Taki(swordsman) - Finis892

Taki(alchemist) - Forma165

well current prototype names.
Old 2013-04-07, 10:25   Link #3097
agetreme
One_Turn_Kill(Myself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverNOut View Post
@agetreme, that Thousand Power sounds a lot like HSS (Hysteria Mode) from Hidan no Aria. Also, I keep picturing Tetsu Jin as someone like Iron Man from Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu even though you probably based him of Tokiwadai Dorm Supervisor.

yea, Thousand Power sounds like HSS. I didn't expect that until I read through it. My source of inspiration for that power is..... actually Hentai Kamen (hence the panties part). He need to wear them like a hat in his head.

The name came from Tiger and Bunny's Hundred power. Reason why it is thousand is because 100 seconds is too short. The recovery time was there to pull his level down to 4 (that's the highest level for that school)

Don't worry about that because Tetsu-sensei is based on Iron man from Baka Test....

Though to the students of the school, he is more like Terminator, unrelenting and very determined.

He probably drag those delinquents to his detention room after they are defeated (as well as anybody unfortunate enough to get caught.)

Accelerator *twitching eye*: "What am I doing here?"

=

Edit:Re-organizing the section. Probably adding in Magician sides.

Last edited by agetreme; 2013-04-07 at 11:10.
agetreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 11:08   Link #3098
Dyingbreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
magicians name is base on what your goal or your meaning or reason in life is then add numbers to make it original from the others or to avoid duplicate of names.

Salvare = Salvation
Fortis = Strongest
Regnum = Kingdom
Intimus = "I offer everything to my lost friend" ( I don't know what it means)
Basis = "The one who carries the basis"
Fallare = The backstabbing blade = false? not sure
Armare = I don't know what it means but wiki says armaments. And Mark has a lots of them
Intimus means friend (another word for which is, interesting, necessarius).
Fortis actually just means strong. Fortissimus would be strongest.
Salvare means "to save" no salvation.
Fallare means "to deceive".
Armare means "to arm"

By the way, magician names are written upon the soul correct? Does anyone know the process for this or any other details. In my fic the name being written upon the soul is the reason they become mages not a side effect of that transformation but I'd like to know whether this contradicts canon or not.

Also, is the title (e.g. "I give everything for my lost friend") a part of the name or just a clarification of their goals?
Old 2013-04-07, 11:19   Link #3099
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I think I might be reading to deep into this but maybe it's the numbers? When you read them in japanese don't they make some phonetic sounds similar to words? I'm not so sure as there are apparently multiple ways to read them.
Old 2013-04-07, 11:59   Link #3100
tsunade666

the numbers held no further meaning than just to differentiate each other.

The name holds the main meaning of their life while the following sentence is to solidify their goal or to express their feelings.

Salvare000 - Be the salvation of those who cannot be saved.

Kanzaki wants to protect the Amakusa that's why she remove herself as their leader. It shows her conflicting feelings that she wants to help but her power proves to be too strong and dangerous. Even if she wanted to helped them, she is only making it worst.

Fortis931 - I prove why my name is the strongest here

Styl studied magic because she wants to save index. He is the type that is not really gifted in magic but he tried just to save a girl but in the end even all he did. He can't save her. His strength that he boast wasn't enough. Which is also conflicting again to his goal. He wants strength. He wants power. Enough that even if he face anyone he can win and save her. But in the end Touma beat him up to it.

Intimus115 - I offer everything to my lost friend.

Sherry wants revenge for her friend that died and she also wants someone to punished her for her mistakes. She is angry for both sides because of what happen to her friend and she is using that anger to cause a war. She is also using her friend's death to cause havoc which she doesn't want. Thus its also conflicting her emotions that she wants revenge for her friend but she also knows that her friend doesn't want her do what she is doing.

Fallere825 - The backstabbing blade

Tsuchimikado's reason is just to save his sister. And he will do dirty jobs for both faction as long as to keep her sister away but the same time he is also lying to her sister. A very through way to deceive anyone. Be it your friend, enemy or even your love one.

There are more meaning to it than simple phrase if you analyze it.

The first word is a declaration of what you want. Then the number is to differentiate each other. Then the sentence or phrase that show your feelings or dedication.

The number itself might be insignificant but the name and phrase is important.

Tags
character, crack, crossover ideas, discussion, fanfiction