AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-09, 18:33   Link #3141
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingbreath View Post
During Angel Fall could people who were unaffected (like Motoharu) see people who were affected's original form or could only Touma do that?
Touma only and aside from the caster.

Touma being immune. Even with the barrier that Tsuchi and Kanzaki used. Its not enough to completely mask their selves.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 21:08   Link #3142
Dyingbreath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
How's this sound for a power.
Statis field: The ability to block any movement of energy or mass into or through a certain area.
Dyingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 21:16   Link #3143
agetreme
One_Turn_Kill(Myself)
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Delusion world
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
^the treatment really reminds me of baka-test.
Yea It is. The Baka-test style of light-heartness was meant to make people forget that it take place in To-aru verse (dark experiments happening where you can't see them.)

====

On the other hand, the girl's side has equally dumb students but they get better treatment. The unfair treatment is (as mentioned before) contributed by the one running the school.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingbreath View Post
How's this sound for a power.
Statis field: The ability to block any movement of energy or mass into or through a certain area.
Sounds like Accelerator's ability (at lower level?)
__________________
Ara Han
agetreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 21:20   Link #3144
OverNOut
The Obsever
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingbreath View Post
How's this sound for a power.
Statis field: The ability to block any movement of energy or mass into or through a certain area.
That ability will rival Accelerator's reflection for the best defense title but I don't see an offensive application.

Wait just thought of one, stopping the flow of blood until the pressure builds up which will cause the blood vessels to rupture. Seems like a slower and weaker version of Accelerator's reverse the blood flow but at least it can be applied at a distance since you said "through a certain area".

Thought of another application, freezing. By stopping the movement of atoms there will be no heat energy. This maybe able to achieve absolute zero temperatures.
OverNOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 16:40   Link #3145
Dyingbreath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverNOut View Post
That ability will rival Accelerator's reflection for the best defense title but I don't see an offensive application.

Wait just thought of one, stopping the flow of blood until the pressure builds up which will cause the blood vessels to rupture. Seems like a slower and weaker version of Accelerator's reverse the blood flow but at least it can be applied at a distance since you said "through a certain area".

Thought of another application, freezing. By stopping the movement of atoms there will be no heat energy. This maybe able to achieve absolute zero temperatures.
Or do it to the brain and completely shut someone down or the whole body to immobilize them. Since there are no vectors even Accelerator couldn't block it.
You wouldn't be able to achieve absolute zero because they resume regular movement once the stasis field is shut down. Also relative movement is kept (in other words they aren't at absolute rest).
And yeah it is similar and weaker than Accelerator's ability (everything is) but it has the effect of being able to be deployed at range which makes it quite strong.
Dyingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 16:55   Link #3146
Flere821
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
People, I've got a PM on FFN about my fic 'Twice the Misfortune' from a guy that wishes for it to be continued. My current interlude flashback chapter isn't working well so I'm considering to just skip this one and go on instead with the next planned chapter. How many of you here care about this OC-focused fic to want to see it continued? I personally have started to feel OCs in general are not that good and the ones that are well written are the exceptions and not the rule; plus I also have a fic from a different series I'm focusing on right now.

(And FFN seems to have problems these days, I can't even reply to the guy due to the FFN site crashing on me many times -.-)
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 17:18   Link #3147
Dyingbreath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
People, I've got a PM on FFN about my fic 'Twice the Misfortune' from a guy that wishes for it to be continued. My current interlude flashback chapter isn't working well so I'm considering to just skip this one and go on instead with the next planned chapter. How many of you here care about this OC-focused fic to want to see it continued? I personally have started to feel OCs in general are not that good and the ones that are well written are the exceptions and not the rule; plus I also have a fic from a different series I'm focusing on right now.

(And FFN seems to have problems these days, I can't even reply to the guy due to the FFN site crashing on me many times -.-)
Well I haven't read it but in response to your feelings about OC's I have a simple policy that I elaborated before in my story and that is that: "OC's should never be the protagonist, nor a protagonist's love interest. I have this rule for the simple reason that, when it is a character of your own design, it is very easy to go off the deep end when writing about them. You will always show favoritism towards the character, and that favoritism is dangerous to a story.

I prefer the characters from the show to be the protagonists. It is hard to take someone else's character and make them yours, but it is the sign of a skilled writer when they can take a character created by another person and truly make it their own without violating the spirit of the original creation, to show personality without violating character, to show motive without violating backstory, to show originality while also keeping what made you like that character in the first place. This is the ideal I strive for and the one I keep working towards.

That is not to say that I disagree with OC's. My story wouldn't work without my own villains and my own helpers, because OC's are well suited for roles as supporting characters or antagonists, and because of that certain settings are better suited to OC's than others. Such as action settings like Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, which includes the bonus of having a system where lots of people have powers, not just a few."

I can't speak for the story itself but I can advocate non-OC centered fics which are what I prefer.
Dyingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 17:23   Link #3148
Rovert10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
People, I've got a PM on FFN about my fic 'Twice the Misfortune' from a guy that wishes for it to be continued. My current interlude flashback chapter isn't working well so I'm considering to just skip this one and go on instead with the next planned chapter. How many of you here care about this OC-focused fic to want to see it continued? I personally have started to feel OCs in general are not that good and the ones that are well written are the exceptions and not the rule; plus I also have a fic from a different series I'm focusing on right now.

(And FFN seems to have problems these days, I can't even reply to the guy due to the FFN site crashing on me many times -.-)
I would love to see it continue.

While I hope for another TouhouXIndex crossover.
I will support the continuation of the fic. However if you don't feel like writing it then no harm done. Do whatever you want really.

Also what kinda of browser are you using that FFN would crash so much?
Rovert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 18:12   Link #3149
Flere821
Lurker
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovert10 View Post
Also what kinda of browser are you using that FFN would crash so much?
Internet Explorer. Though FFN main page have also mentioned they've been having problems recently as well.
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 18:42   Link #3150
Dyingbreath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Internet Explorer. Though FFN main page have also mentioned they've been having problems recently as well.
Yeah I've had a few problems too, but they should pass. It's still the best Fanfiction site there is.
Dyingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 01:51   Link #3151
agetreme
One_Turn_Kill(Myself)
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Delusion world
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingbreath View Post
Well I haven't read it but in response to your feelings about OC's I have a simple policy that I elaborated before in my story and that is that: "OC's should never be the protagonist, nor a protagonist's love interest. I have this rule for the simple reason that, when it is a character of your own design, it is very easy to go off the deep end when writing about them. You will always show favoritism towards the character, and that favoritism is dangerous to a story.

I prefer the characters from the show to be the protagonists. It is hard to take someone else's character and make them yours, but it is the sign of a skilled writer when they can take a character created by another person and truly make it their own without violating the spirit of the original creation, to show personality without violating character, to show motive without violating backstory, to show originality while also keeping what made you like that character in the first place. This is the ideal I strive for and the one I keep working towards.

That is not to say that I disagree with OC's. My story wouldn't work without my own villains and my own helpers, because OC's are well suited for roles as supporting characters or antagonists, and because of that certain settings are better suited to OC's than others. Such as action settings like Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, which includes the bonus of having a system where lots of people have powers, not just a few."

I can't speak for the story itself but I can advocate non-OC centered fics which are what I prefer.
OC is protagonist because I am just using To-aru setting.

The reason why main characters doesn't appear often is because

1.) Main characters are considerably quite powerful.
By not showing them, it make those low level Espers in the story appears powerful but if you put a Magician or Espers from Main story into the story, everything pretty much goes one-sided. Even Shiage because he get to use a gun. None of the OCs in my story get a gun because Tetsu-sensei confiscated them in every possibilities.
Quote:
Side-note: Those power I mentioned? Can't do a damn thing to Touma's Imagine Breaker and Mikoto can one-shot them all.

The only exception is Insect Command who can defeat almost all canon characters (except for Aiwass because he has no physical form) but like Excalibur from Soul Eater, he may be powerful but is too creepy and annoying that nobody is willing to ask him for help.

His combat ability is even higher than Accelerator (at full-power) but his Enlightenment ability is low (inability to truly comprehend God's Will).

Why he is so powerful is a reference to a certain fight game character:
Insect Command: BBBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Can he do those things? Unfortunately, Yes.
2.) Hidden Villains are genre-savy and want to avoid attention. Imagine Breaker and Mikoto has the potential to screw them over.

Imagine breaker destroy their personal ability/power/magic and Mikoto's ability to hack into electronic could easily obliterate their Machine (angels or not those thing still run on electricity).

Defeating Kakine or Accelerator will attract Aiwass/Aleister's attention and they have to take extreme measure to throw off those "Busybodies". (namely resetting any progress they make)

3.) Third reason: Let just say Phantasm Mirage do a Sentai-ish rollcall for a reason.

=

However, Kosuke is deliberately setup as supportive character so it is still possible for me to use Canon Casts as protagonist to set up Questions and slowly reveal what exactly happened from the OC point of view.

Edit: Also, from the OC point of view, Tetsu-Sensei looked like some badass strict teacher but which it change to outsider point of view..... he is a goofball especially when it comes to answering some awkward questions and he don't really want to answer.
__________________
Ara Han

Last edited by agetreme; 2013-04-11 at 06:39.
agetreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 08:51   Link #3152
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Back in the Nanoha OC thread, this is how we used to do it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





"I must warn you; I am a civilized man- With occasional lapses."


Name: Meng Zhang
Alias: Qinglong, Seiryu, Cheongnyong, Thanh Long
Race: Chinese
Cabal: Four Symbols of Celestial (Subject to change)
Magic Type: Taoism
Proficiencies: Five Elements System - Wood Manipulation
Weapon: A Taoist Wooden Ceremonial Sword


Character Summary:
Spoiler:


Magic:




Meng Zhang's magic revolves around the Azure Dragon- one of the Four Symbols of the Chinese constellations that represent the east and the spring season. It also represents the Wood Element, which in turns can represent nature, the planet Jupiter, the colors blue and green, as well as the wind.

It gains it's power through the water element, and can be used to power the fire element.

It has an advantage against spells with Earth element, but is weak against Metal weapons.

Spoiler for spells:
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 11:32   Link #3153
Dyingbreath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by agetreme View Post
OC is protagonist because I am just using To-aru setting.

The reason why main characters doesn't appear often is because

1.) Main characters are considerably quite powerful.
By not showing them, it make those low level Espers in the story appears powerful but if you put a Magician or Espers from Main story into the story, everything pretty much goes one-sided. Even Shiage because he get to use a gun. None of the OCs in my story get a gun because Tetsu-sensei confiscated them in every possibilities.
It's all about using powers intelligently. I've struggled with that same issue with Misaka but I've managed to have some really interesting and exciting battles with her despite that issue.
The thing is that Misaka, as well as any not-anti-hero main characters, wouldn't use their full power against most people. Had she used her full power against Harumi she would have died but as it was she challenged Misaka in battle. OC's can do the same.
I've also used Misaka's personality to my advantage. I once had her fight a battle and almost lose it because her pride wouldn't allow her to use a large portion of her power until she was actually in trouble.
And you don't need to include her. Have Uiharu or Saten or Aogami be the protagonist. They aren't too powerful at all. In regards to beating higher level mages and ESPers... well even that is all about using them intelligently. I had Saten kick the ass of an ESPer who could fling around trucks in one chapter all while keeping her in character and without giving her any "Eleventh Hour Superpowers". She just used her intelligence and natural kickassitude.
Dyingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 14:23   Link #3154
agetreme
One_Turn_Kill(Myself)
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Delusion world
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingbreath View Post
And you don't need to include her. Have Uiharu or Saten or Aogami be the protagonist. They aren't too powerful at all. In regards to beating higher level mages and ESPers... well even that is all about using them intelligently. I had Saten kick the ass of an ESPer who could fling around trucks in one chapter all while keeping her in character and without giving her any "Eleventh Hour Superpowers". She just used her intelligence and natural kickassitude.

About Saten... not sure about her but isn't she supposed to be a normal person?

Yea....probably need to rewrite the story a little with them as focus. Should not be a problem since the Original Characters are intended to be like background characters (because they are).

Game breaking power is usually reserved for Villains and in the most desperate situation, when one played all the cards and none of them work. It's like fighting Accelerator for the first time. You don't know his ability's weakness and you are basically half-death.

In my story, game breaking power is actually a plot point.
__________________
Ara Han
agetreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 20:10   Link #3155
Dyingbreath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by agetreme View Post
About Saten... not sure about her but isn't she supposed to be a normal person?

Yea....probably need to rewrite the story a little with them as focus. Should not be a problem since the Original Characters are intended to be like background characters (because they are).

Game breaking power is usually reserved for Villains and in the most desperate situation, when one played all the cards and none of them work. It's like fighting Accelerator for the first time. You don't know his ability's weakness and you are basically half-death.

In my story, game breaking power is actually a plot point.
I don't go for game-breakers. One of my villains who was able to fend off Misaka was a level 4 technopath. Another was a level 3 who could manipulate the concentration of oxygen in the air. Others were just regular people. The most "game-breaker" was the guy who could manipulate metal and even he was defeated in a second by Misaka when she realized that she didn't need to fight fire with fire (or metal with metal in this case) and shocked him.
But though they are weaker I managed to make the battles interesting by using their powers in interesting ways.
Dyingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 21:58   Link #3156
rubix22
On Cleaning Duty
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Back in the Nanoha OC thread, this is how we used to do it
I like that format. I'd like to take a shot at this OC creation stuff.

Spoiler for :
__________________
rubix22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 02:22   Link #3157
Knowledgeseeker01
Wishes to Understand
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
In honor of the premier of Railgun, I have decided to launch the new chapter for "Of Science and Magics: The Side Stories." It is titled, "The Rising Darkness." Be sure to read, enjoy, and leave a review.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7771256/...e-Side-Stories
Knowledgeseeker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 08:35   Link #3158
Dyingbreath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Another Ability I thought of for you to critique.
"Nay-Say": A geass-esque ability that allows you to give a person a single order. But the catch is that you can only make the order for someone to not do something. Like, "don't move from that spot". The person can still be moved and will not resist it, but they themselves cannot comprehend the possibility of moving from that spot nor of taking any actions to facilitate it, like asking someone else to move them. You can set limiters like, "don't move unless I tell you", but the limiters don't allow for additional commands to be made, they simply remove the mental blocker on that action. If you told them they could move from the spot they would be able to but they wouldn't have to.
Dyingbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 09:02   Link #3159
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Just asking advice on the direction of the story.

Which do you think is better.

A father who lost his wife and only has his daughter to protect and love but as they grow older. They will also find someone they love which sets the father on edge.

Or the other which just struck me when I'm reading that story.

A secret crush where one do anything to protect her but she loves someone else. You lived in a shadow and will stay in shadow.

Writing about action scene and imagining how the battle went on is fun but trying to write romance makes me all giddy and it helps because I don't have real romance in life. Which gives another satisfaction when writing fanfic.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:00   Link #3160
agetreme
One_Turn_Kill(Myself)
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Delusion world
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix22 View Post
Spoiler for :
[/SPOILER]
*cough*normal people are boring *cough*

Quote:
Another Ability I thought of for you to critique.

"Nay-Say": A geass-esque ability that allows you to give a person a single order. But the catch is that you can only make the order for someone to not do something. Like, "don't move from that spot". The person can still be moved and will not resist it, but they themselves cannot comprehend the possibility of moving from that spot nor of taking any actions to facilitate it, like asking someone else to move them. You can set limiters like, "don't move unless I tell you", but the limiters don't allow for additional commands to be made, they simply remove the mental blocker on that action. If you told them they could move from the spot they would be able to but they wouldn't have to.
Feels a little too convenient....

What are the limitation?
And what is the personality behind that power?

When I think of a power, I usually also think about its limitation and add more as I go on. Although I start taking personality into consideration recently.

Remember Esper's power relates to their personality in someway. So for an esper to gain certain power, they must have certain personality relating to their power.

Quote:
Just asking advice on the direction of the story.

Which do you think is better.

A father who lost his wife and only has his daughter to protect and love but as they grow older. They will also find someone they love which sets the father on edge.

Or the other which just struck me when I'm reading that story.

A secret crush where one do anything to protect her but she loves someone else. You lived in a shadow and will stay in shadow.

Writing about action scene and imagining how the battle went on is fun but trying to write romance makes me all giddy and it helps because I don't have real romance in life. Which gives another satisfaction when writing fanfic.
Father. Just feel that the emotional impact is heavier. There would definitely be conflict between the father and daughter but also has the great potential of being heartwarming.

The Latter can be great too....potential to be crushingly depressing (if you avoid the cliches of the girl finding out and fall in love) and heartwarming: The crush don't care about being love back. So long as the girl is happy, he's fine with it.
====

I watched Hataraku Maou-sama!

Imagine Breaker can exist as a sword right?

*Age imagine Female Touma and Demon Lord Accelerator*
__________________
Ara Han
agetreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
character, crack, crossover ideas, discussion, fanfiction

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.