AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2013-07-11, 08:32   Link #3881
Doc Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinFerret88 View Post
6000 word mark! I'm on a roll here!

On an unrelated note, I started thinking about an ability someone on magic-side could use. I thought about it before, but put it aside for a later date. Now that I'm far ahead of my schedule, I reopened the idea and want to run it by you guys to see what you think.

Basically, the idea I have is based on something called threefold truth. Threefold truth implies that all things are void, all things are temporary, and all things are in a middle state between the two. My interpretation of this, if used as a spell, can pretty much render something 'void' and erase that voided area out of existence. I figured that since magic mainly follows certain guidelines and conditions, the process of this particular spell would be for the mage to dictate whatever he's applied this spell to is in a state of 'temporary' existence and the state of 'void' existence.

I know that limitations for this are a definite necessity; all I'm looking for at the moment is people's opinions on if this would be feasible enough to utilize for a powerful mage of some sort or if it would be just too damn overpowered an ability; regardless of whatever limitations that are thought up.
It depends what exactly you can turn to void. Look at Misogi Kumagawa from Medaka Box. He has a very similar ability that even extends to qualities like "being dead".

Other examples are the stands Cream, The Hand or Golden Experience Requiem from Jojo Bizarre Adventure, I think. Especially The Hand should cover the range of ability you want. Its ability allows the user to erase the space between things, reducing the distance to his opponent or shortening things.
Doc Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 09:09   Link #3882
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I think a way to apply that spell is to use representations of each truth with something. Then physically shifting the target to the desired truth via the representations. Though I have no idea how to do this since I have no idea what this threefold truth is.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 12:33   Link #3883
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

Wow, great responses yall.

This is starting to make we want to make this guy and input him into the story; with all these ideas coming in I may just do that. But I need more time to prepare, research to do, and a lot of calculated character structure to do.

None the less, thanks guys for giving me this info; it helps.
SmokinFerret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 12:36   Link #3884
R.LocK
My turn

And done. Have some doubts about this chapter, but I needed to throw in a breather.

Quote:
As for me, I popped up to let people know that I finally managed to get my hands on a tablet and Bluetooth keyboard. That means I can work on my stuff during business trips and productivity on my end should increase. With luck and a good wind at my back, the six-month wait between chapter updates should be a thing of the past.
Good news are good news. And well. If not for my parents being in the same room, I would have jumped around in joy.

Quote:
Basically, the idea I have is based on something called threefold truth. Threefold truth implies that all things are void, all things are temporary, and all things are in a middle state between the two. My interpretation of this, if used as a spell, can pretty much render something 'void' and erase that voided area out of existence. I figured that since magic mainly follows certain guidelines and conditions, the process of this particular spell would be for the mage to dictate whatever he's applied this spell to is in a state of 'temporary' existence and the state of 'void' existence.

I know that limitations for this are a definite necessity; all I'm looking for at the moment is people's opinions on if this would be feasible enough to utilize for a powerful mage of some sort or if it would be just too damn overpowered an ability; regardless of whatever limitations that are thought up.
I like it. And I somehow thought of IB reading it. Why, I wonder?

As for restrictions... Time, concentration and... maybe troubles with erasing living/non-living beings (take your pick)?
R.LocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 13:07   Link #3885
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

Quote:
I like it. And I somehow thought of IB reading it. Why, I wonder?
I think it's because it works in the same manner as the Nullify and Negate factors of the IB. If a reason is required for a mage to have this ability, one could say they did it as a means to imitate the Imagine Breaker. Given, the mage would need to know of IB's existence, so that right there would tell you that the mage would not be your run-of-the-mill magician but someone with actual authority and influence.

Quote:
As for restrictions... Time, concentration and... maybe troubles with erasing living/non-living beings (take your pick)?
All three of these things are possibilities, but for the time being I'm just looking for input to see if people think its a good idea to pursue or not. Once I've done the groundwork for the spell itself, I'll come back to restrictions and limitations. But, as stated before, the idea's expressed are appreciated and will be put into account once I get to that point.
Old 2013-07-11, 13:14   Link #3886
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.LocK View Post
And done. Have some doubts about this chapter, but I needed to throw in a breather.
Good chapter, sad to read Index and Accelerator won't be staying together though.
Old 2013-07-12, 02:04   Link #3887
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

Pardon my french here, but FUCK YEAH CHAPTER 12 IS NOW DONE!!!!

I finished WAY before my usual due-date and I'm so ahead of schedule that I'm at a loss at what to do. Seriously, I feel like such a boss right now it hurts!

Sorry, but I just had to get that off my chest.
Old 2013-07-12, 02:23   Link #3888
dniv
Nintendo Haters I'm ready

Quote:
Pardon my french here, but FUCK YEAH CHAPTER 12 IS NOW DONE!!!!

I finished WAY before my usual due-date and I'm so ahead of schedule that I'm at a loss at what to do. Seriously, I feel like such a boss right now it hurts!

Sorry, but I just had to get that off my chest.
Aww it's not up: (I tried to look) I'm guessing you're still editing it?
dniv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-12, 02:32   Link #3889
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

Proof reading, adding authors notes, and debating on whether or not I should post it so soon or postpone it until Sunday.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Old 2013-07-12, 04:40   Link #3890
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

ATTENTION!

A Certain World of Darkness Chapter 12 is now up for your viewing pleasure!

That is all.
Old 2013-07-12, 08:28   Link #3891
dniv

Quote:
ATTENTION!

That is all.
Well...

I have an interesting comment to make...

At the bottom, you said other people complained about last chapter...

You said that action was your forte...

I'll stop with the pointless dramatics

11/10
Old 2013-07-12, 11:51   Link #3892
Ilidsor
Angelerator

Quote:
ATTENTION!

That is all.
That was good as always . Can't wait to see the conclusion of Mugino's fight, and hopefully see Touma be badass.

Are you planning on getting into the canon events at any point (Index arc, sisters arc, etc)?
Old 2013-07-12, 14:35   Link #3893
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

Quote:
Well...

I have an interesting comment to make...

At the bottom, you said other people complained about last chapter...

You said that action was your forte...

I'll stop with the pointless dramatics

11/10
Thank you, I'm glad the chapter was to you're liking.

Quote:
That was good as always . Can't wait to see the conclusion of Mugino's fight, and hopefully see Touma be badass.
Same goes to you in regards to you liking the chapter. While I'm still on the fence in regards to how I'm going to pull that fight off, I'm looking forward to it myself really. In regards to Touma showing up with his usual BAMF-mode turned up to max....you'll just need to wait and see.

Quote:
Are you planning on getting into the canon events at any point (Index arc, sisters arc, etc)?
Of course, I'm especially looking forward to entering the Sister arc. since, lets face it, having Mugino one minute fighting Mikoto then the next minute watching Touma's fight with Accelerator with that same girl right beside her. Yeah, cue drama, but I'm sure the two of them will shut up at watch as Touma enter's his Big-Damn-Hero mode and starts kicking the crap out of Accel.
Old 2013-07-12, 18:49   Link #3894
dniv

Quote:
Thank you, I'm glad the chapter was to you're liking.

Same goes to you in regards to you liking the chapter. While I'm still on the fence in regards to how I'm going to pull that fight off, I'm looking forward to it myself really. In regards to Touma showing up with his usual BAMF-mode turned up to max....you'll just need to wait and see.

Of course, I'm especially looking forward to entering the Sister arc. since, lets face it, having Mugino one minute fighting Mikoto then the next minute watching Touma's fight with Accelerator with that same girl right beside her. Yeah, cue drama, but I'm sure the two of them will shut up at watch as Touma enter's his Big-Damn-Hero mode and starts kicking the crap out of Accel.
This sounds pretty exciting actually. Even better than what you have already done You are good at this
Old 2013-07-12, 21:52   Link #3895
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

Quote:
This sounds pretty exciting actually. Even better than what you have already done You are good at this
I try, and I don't let the negative responses bother me all that much.
Old 2013-07-13, 01:03   Link #3896
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

So, after now having access to a lot of spare time now that the ACWOD update was made, I've made some headway on that Threefold Truth idea that I mentioned before. I'm mainly in the explanation behind how it works at the moment, but if anyone's interested I'm willing to post it to see what you all think of what I have thus far.
Old 2013-07-13, 04:43   Link #3897
dniv

Quote:
So, after now having access to a lot of spare time now that the ACWOD update was made, I've made some headway on that Threefold Truth idea that I mentioned before. I'm mainly in the explanation behind how it works at the moment, but if anyone's interested I'm willing to post it to see what you all think of what I have thus far.
Sure. Post away.
Old 2013-07-13, 12:04   Link #3898
Ilidsor
Angelerator

And Touma's Busy Day Chapter 3 is now out.

@SmokinFerret: Sure, I'd love to see it.
Old 2013-07-13, 12:20   Link #3899
SmokinFerret88
Comrade Ferret

Okay, here's what I have thus far; just keep in mind that it's not completely done yet.

Spoiler for Threefold Truth:
Old 2013-07-13, 12:44   Link #3900
Ihaxlikenoob
Nine Lives Blade Works

> Copy Imagine Breaker

Yeah good luck with that pal. :3
Ihaxlikenoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character, crack, crossover ideas, discussion, fanfiction