AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-11-09, 23:05   Link #221
hideki101
Bored out of his mind...
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Somewhere in the Local Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
No, Touma's a level 0. His power is highly limited, simply by the fact that it is restrained to his hand and only does one thing.

When I say limitless, I mean limitless. No restrictions, no caveats, nada. You can do Schrodinger's Cat without the box. You can can make, say, a mountain of anything appear in mid-air, and then dispell it the next. You could dispel anything or anyone you wanted, or change them however to fit your perception of reality.

Touma? Touma can't even dismiss his own power, and it's only good against other people's powers. All you need to beat Touma is a gun.
You could say that if the power level system is based on how well someone can warp reality, that in this world, Touma would have a negative reading: rather than realizing his own perceptions of the world, he forces reality to situate itself over other peoples perceptions. If the scale is such that a level 0 can't manipulate reality, then Touma's power would actually be considered less than that. However, there's no precident for this, so they label him as the lowest on the scale.
hideki101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-09, 23:16   Link #222
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Anglo-Saxon Sphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by hideki101 View Post
You could say that if the power level system is based on how well someone can warp reality, that in this world, Touma would have a negative reading: rather than realizing his own perceptions of the world, he forces reality to situate itself over other peoples perceptions. If the scale is such that a level 0 can't manipulate reality, then Touma's power would actually be considered less than that. However, there's no precident for this, so they label him as the lowest on the scale.
Sounds about right to me as well: since it really can't demonstrate a Schrodinger effect of replacing rewriting, I always figured it's something that never could be detected. Sort of like proving a negative.


Of course, a power that dispels powers is arguably the most valuable, and he should be a more important research subject than Misaka, but-
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 00:11   Link #223
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hideki101 View Post
You could say that if the power level system is based on how well someone can warp reality, that in this world, Touma would have a negative reading: rather than realizing his own perceptions of the world, he forces reality to situate itself over other peoples perceptions. If the scale is such that a level 0 can't manipulate reality, then Touma's power would actually be considered less than that. However, there's no precident for this, so they label him as the lowest on the scale.
Negative infinity is how I see it. He can never raise it, and he bends the conservation of mass and energy in the exact opposite way everyone else does. He turns everything into nothing. The only aberration I see is how he was bracing himself and his fingers against Index's Dragon's Breath attack, as the whole thing really should be effortless, as it was every other time he used it.

That also helps with the battle experience as defined (albeit very loosely) in the world. 20000 MISAKAs or 128 Mikotos must be killed for Accelerator to gain a level, yet I believe Touma would gain nothing no matter how many of whatever he kills (not that he would).
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 03:29   Link #224
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Of course, a power that dispels powers is arguably the most valuable, and he should be a more important research subject than Misaka, but-
But said research would cause an imbalance to the status quo between the Science side and Magic side.

Touma's ability and his tendency to acquire allies from both sides is considered a threat. A threat that must be dealt with. Of which one assassin was already dispatched.

It is like when Hyouka was targeted as she was assumed as the Imaginary Number by the Magic side. A Scientific version of the Magic side's Angel. Hyouka was created by converging AIM fields of Academy City.

Also Aleister Crowley was careful with Aisa Himegami case, Deep Blood. As the existence of Vampires is unknown and unproven. Whether they fall on the Science side or Magic side jurisdiction is unknown as well.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 10:54   Link #225
eiyuu99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Yeah, Touma is already considered a threat for "building up a harem",
not that he sees it as fortunate.


It looks cool, isn't it?
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 13:33   Link #226
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Anglo-Saxon Sphere
I keep thinking how easy it would be for any halfway-trained person to trap, lock, and break his hand.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 13:35   Link #227
LastResolve
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: athens
btw what would happen if touma loses his right arm? will imagine breaker still be incontinew ? cuz what happened with Izzard was kind of fucked up so we arent sure if he imagined touma dodging the attacks or if touma is stronger without his right arm rofl
__________________
LastResolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-10, 14:36   Link #228
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Anglo-Saxon Sphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastResolve View Post
btw what would happen if touma loses his right arm? will imagine breaker still be incontinew ? cuz what happened with Izzard was kind of fucked up so we arent sure if he imagined touma dodging the attacks or if touma is stronger without his right arm rofl
With Izzard, it's rather apparent that it was Izzard doing most of the work; Izzard was completely off balance and losing it, which is why his powers worked to Touma's advantage. Without his right hand, Touma himself is powerless. Nothing about whether the hand is connected; it really depends what sort of power it is.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 06:22   Link #229
LastResolve
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: athens
also i dont get why its called "imagine" i mean he doesnt use his imagination on anything he just cancel anything by default by just aim it at his right hand
__________________
LastResolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 06:34   Link #230
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Anglo-Saxon Sphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastResolve View Post
also i dont get why its called "imagine" i mean he doesnt use his imagination on anything he just cancel anything by default by just aim it at his right hand
In the sense that psychic powers in general are imagination, he's breaking everyone else's imaginations/delusions. Usually not even just their powers, but the mindset that's driving them at that point.

I have a feeling that, in japanese, it has a slightly broader context than 'imagine'.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 10:04   Link #231
LastResolve
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: athens
btw if imagination breaker exist's is there going to be something like imagination maker but then again that should be ars magna oh well we cant really put many theories since we know nothing so far about it : / and its still a mystery why did touma losing his memory's helping the plot
__________________
LastResolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 14:03   Link #232
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
In the sense that psychic powers in general are imagination, he's breaking everyone else's imaginations/delusions. Usually not even just their powers, but the mindset that's driving them at that point.

I have a feeling that, in japanese, it has a slightly broader context than 'imagine'.
Yes, you are right the japanesse name is Genso Goroshi somthing like Illusion/Fantasy Killer and lately in the novels called Imaginary Killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastResolve View Post
btw if imagination breaker exist's is there going to be something like imagination maker but then again that should be ars magna oh well we cant really put many theories since we know nothing so far about it : / and its still a mystery why did touma losing his memory's helping the plot
That leads me to think that the existence of Imagine Breaker is the proof of the existence of thecreator of all, the imagination maker in other words, God.
__________________
Love songs for the genuinely cunning.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 20:33   Link #233
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Anglo-Saxon Sphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastResolve View Post
btw if imagination breaker exist's is there going to be something like imagination maker but then again that should be ars magna oh well we cant really put many theories since we know nothing so far about it : / and its still a mystery why did touma losing his memory's helping the plot
Imagine maker would be every single pychic and magic user merely existing. People who make something out of nothing, whether by arcane or by sheer stubborn mindedness, already exist and are plentiful.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-12, 05:59   Link #234
eiyuu99
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Touma needs the emphasis of being "unfortunate hero".
Even the setting of his imagine breaker is supposed to deny luck. lol
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-12, 06:27   Link #235
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Anglo-Saxon Sphere
Start making his harem an actual misery. There's a reason two-timing and leading multiple girls at the same time rarely ends happily for anyone involved.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-12, 07:53   Link #236
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Start making his harem an actual misery. There's a reason two-timing and leading multiple girls at the same time rarely ends happily for anyone involved.
The problem is, did he ever two-time and lead multiple girls? He's that clueless to know that more than a few dozen girls are all for him.
__________________
I like to run portable on my dude, so I ran while running runs in my portably portable, dude-like dude.

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-12, 11:24   Link #237
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
does he even think of a certain someone for now? Well I'm not sure though but in the anime I think they hint that touma likes index but that's before he lost his memories and after it maybe its not just his memories that are lost also his love interest. Though its maybe just me that thinks like that at all.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-12, 12:09   Link #238
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Start making his harem an actual misery. There's a reason two-timing and leading multiple girls at the same time rarely ends happily for anyone involved.


Touma has pretty much shown absolutely no romantic attraction to anyone except maybe Index and that one's a stretch too. Atleast in the anime, anyway. I don't know about the Light Novel. You must be confusing him for Araragi. Which is understandable since they're both so similar...
__________________

Last edited by Haak; 2009-11-12 at 12:42.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-12, 13:53   Link #239
LastResolve
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: athens
meh i pretty much thing touma isnt thinking of girls cuz if he did he would have misaka already
__________________
LastResolve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-12, 14:53   Link #240
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Somewhere in the Anglo-Saxon Sphere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Assassin View Post
The problem is, did he ever two-time and lead multiple girls? He's that clueless to know that more than a few dozen girls are all for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post


Touma has pretty much shown absolutely no romantic attraction to anyone except maybe Index and that one's a stretch too. Atleast in the anime, anyway. I don't know about the Light Novel. You must be confusing him for Araragi. Which is understandable since they're both so similar...
Whether he intended to or not, Touma has become someone special to a significant number of girls, most of whom are, let's be honest here, not emotionally mature. We've already seen that they get jealous when he's around someone else not them, so the fact he's unaware of their feelings is rather irrelevant to how they feel. And it only takes some to make everyone miserable, and even if he doesn't know why other people's misery makes Touma unhappy as well.

Just like Touma doesn't need to show romantic attraction to anyone to get a prospective harem, neither does he need to show romantic attraction with anyone to get the problems of a harem. Especially a harem which is not about sharing (which would be a baseless sugestion), but a number of individuals wanting him exclusively.


Frankly, I think the 'harem' setup is one of the less entertaining aspects of japanese media of this type. Triangles can work, and work well, but there's no reason for every girl and her sister to be infatuated with one guy. More =/= better.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.