AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-04-18, 19:37   Link #1
Shadow Kira01

Laptop is now fixed but..

I installed a new version of XP over the other one, while leaving everything intact. Problem is that I cannot access my data on the other user account and also the fact that all my drivers are currently dead. Aside from that, since my ethernet card is on my other user account, I cannot go online after fixing the laptop. Nonetheless, everything is intact.

Now, is there a way I can access the other account or move all the data on the other one over to my current one? My desktop appearance is also smaller now, since my graphics card is on the other one as well. Generally, it is now in a mess, yet I got pass the welcome screen and everything can be considered as fixed as in functional.
Old 2009-04-18, 20:33   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
All your account data should be stored in C:\Documents and Settings\ or simular to that. You just need to move the My Documents Folder and drag it to the new one. However, not all of the user settings are not transferable since some of the settings are stored in a registry but you may be able to recover some settings like from Web Browsers in the Application Data folder in the username folder.
Old 2009-04-18, 21:37   Link #3
Shadow Kira01

I am currently transferring stuff over after gaining ownership of my previous account. Generally, my data is perfectly fine except.. All my drivers are now gone and I don't have any working programs, aside from that fact that my data is intact and my internet connection functions properly along with other basics. I am quite satisfied considering that it was literally garbage a week earlier but even so, it would be best if I fix the drivers as well.
Old 2009-04-19, 00:20   Link #4
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
You have the same thing I had when I reinstalled windows a week ago, the solution is simple you have to reinstall everything:

- your graphics card drivers
- your internet card thingy has to be reconnected (then you can get internet back up and running)
(simply use the CD's for these things)

etc. as for the programs you'll have to reinstall them as well, some older programs might still work but what I had was that they still tried to refer to the older windows (thinking it is now missing) and it cang ive you No Disc messages.
Keep in mind when you reinstall the first reinstallation might give you a fail message, if that happens just run the setup again and it will work (this is the case with any Adobe program I had to reinstall), the installer will first think that you don't have any remaining files hence the reason you won't be able to repair/reinstall or uninstall but run a failed installation once and it'll see those remainign files -> hence 2nd time you'll be able to use those options, again older programs can just reinstall without any problems
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 11:56   Link #5
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
You have the same thing I had when I reinstalled windows a week ago, the solution is simple you have to reinstall everything:

- your graphics card drivers
- your internet card thingy has to be reconnected (then you can get internet back up and running)
(simply use the CD's for these things)

etc. as for the programs you'll have to reinstall them as well, some older programs might still work but what I had was that they still tried to refer to the older windows (thinking it is now missing) and it cang ive you No Disc messages.
Keep in mind when you reinstall the first reinstallation might give you a fail message, if that happens just run the setup again and it will work (this is the case with any Adobe program I had to reinstall), the installer will first think that you don't have any remaining files hence the reason you won't be able to repair/reinstall or uninstall but run a failed installation once and it'll see those remainign files -> hence 2nd time you'll be able to use those options, again older programs can just reinstall without any problems
Thanks for sharing your experiences, I appreciate that.

I have also realized that I need to reinstall everything but.. I only have 9.6GB of HDD left, will it be enough to reinstall everything? Since I have only 446MB of RAM, it is best to keep my HDD above 4GB free space if possible. Once I get my external DVD writer to work, I should be able to free some space and I will reinstall everything when I got the time to do so. I get the bad feeling that it will take up at least 3 hours non-stop or 10+ hours depending on how fast I work. I don't feel like doing any of it anytime soon. Nonetheless, I will give it a try sometimes this summer.
Old 2009-04-19, 13:01   Link #6
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
the reinstalled things will not stack together with the still available programs so you won't use any extra disc space if you reinstall a program that you still have listed in program files.
I woudl also suggest you to get a good registry fixer because you'll have to use it to pick out any remaining not usable parts, I used Uniblue Registry Booster 2 to fix mine.
Office might still give you a no disc message after reinstalling or at leased that is what I still have happening but it doesn't cause any problems, simply ignore the message =P
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-19, 14:50   Link #7
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
I installed a new version of XP over the other one, while leaving everything intact.
I presume you installed XP without deleting anything in the drive, right? I mean you have a clean install of XP. If yes you can start deleting the directories that belonged to the previous system. Like the installed programs since most of them won't be working because they lack information in the registry. That way you can free up some space since you are low on it.
Old 2009-04-19, 22:08   Link #8
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I presume you installed XP without deleting anything in the drive, right? I mean you have a clean install of XP. If yes you can start deleting the directories that belonged to the previous system. Like the installed programs since most of them won't be working because they lack information in the registry. That way you can free up some space since you are low on it.
Is it possible to install it a third time, removing everything and restore to factory settings? I might do that if things won't work out. Currently, I have my video driver and sound driver back. However, my power saver isn't working due to the Installshield error 1608, same thing happened with my zooming utility driver. Without my power saver driver, my screen isn't very bright and also that the battery drains very quickly. 84% battery power drops below 45% within 30 minutes of usage and this isn't good. My external dvd writer isn't working at all which means I cannot back stuff up. However, my usb sticks work fine yet it lacks free space. My external mouse works fine. I can connect online and download stuff. So, generally.. It is functional but without the power saver, the external dvd writer and other drivers, it isn't fully functional.

Problem with deleting the directories is that I wouldn't have the installer for the pre-installed programs. My laptop only came with a recovery disc that has no programs on it at all. When I installed my DVD-RAM driver, I ended up installing it in another folder, otherwise I keep on getting an error. Generally, there are lots of errors when reinstalling stuff.

Does anybody know where the InstallShield folder is? I think I need to reinstall that to get my Power Saver driver working again. And about installing an external dvd-writer, how is it possible to get to work when the drive doesn't work meaning that even with the setup disc, it is useless. Perhaps, I will try and copy the drivers on my setup disc over to an usb stick and load it from there. I will try it sometimes this week..
Old 2009-04-20, 01:55   Link #9
Tiberium Wolf

Oh... you used the recovery disc. I thought you used windows XP install disc. I don't mess with recovery disc. That shit simply is no good unless. Recovering from your problems at your states wastes much more time than if you actually used windows xp install disc and installed over.
Old 2009-04-20, 12:41   Link #10
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Oh... you used the recovery disc. I thought you used windows XP install disc. I don't mess with recovery disc. That shit simply is no good unless. Recovering from your problems at your states wastes much more time than if you actually used windows xp install disc and installed over.
I used a "Windows XP Service Pack 2" install disc.