AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2010-05-13, 00:56   Link #461
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Your idea of a Rhino-based flame tank assumes Marchenko is willing to sacrifice the 122mm guns, same for the others. For that, the more readily-replaced Wolverine would serve well (being an aged design has perks!), with the Devil's Tongue redundant due to the T-93's Bumblebee flamethrower. The T-33 is simple enough for Gallian factories to assemble, assuming modernization doesn't occur. This, basically, means that the Reds will start out using Rhinos and Apocalypses at start, but use Wolverines as the conflict wears on.

EDIT: I'm also theorizing that "Equal share for everybody" could be used to recruit hordes of liberated Darcsens to fill the boots ones filled by the Conscripts. Given the ease of production for AK-47 and similar weapons, emancipated Darcsens could easily be used as expendable troops in combat with the promise of being treated equal with everyone else being the result of survival. Since there is a similarity of munitions, captured Imperial Medium and Light tanks could supplement the hard-to-replace Rhinos and the readily-replaced Wolverines, with Darcsen crews. (I already imagine the report in line at production being, "I built this thing!")

Flak Troopers I'm thinking will end up being people who aren't so accepting of Communism, not unlike RA3's version. It's plausible, possibly to both his and DC20's chagrin, that Cezary ends up as the most expendable unit available to the Soviets (not only that, but since base infantrymen are liberated Darcsens, that means the Flak Trooper Corps would end up fighting along side the people they hate so much. Also not implausible for Rosie to end up in the FTC.)

Last edited by RedShocktrooper; 2010-05-13 at 12:58.
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 15:14   Link #462
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShocktrooper View Post
Your idea of a Rhino-based flame tank assumes Marchenko is willing to sacrifice the 122mm guns, same for the others. For that, the more readily-replaced Wolverine would serve well (being an aged design has perks!)...
Quite true. And the T-33 could also end up, as previously noted, being the basis for Soviet unmanned tanks (whether these are remotely-crewed vehicles or actual robots in the sense of Terror Drones is open to debate - perhaps there is a small program evaluating the merits of each).

Quote:
...with the Devil's Tongue redundant due to the T-93's Bumblebee flamethrower.
Not quite. The T-33's smaller frame (compared to the Rhino, Ogre, and Apocalypse) makes it - with proper infantry support - a good choice for urban operations. In such an environment, the Devil's Tongue and its toxin-spraying sibling are also quite effective.

Quote:
I'm also theorizing that "Equal share for everybody" could be used to recruit hordes of liberated Darcsens to fill the boots ones filled by the Conscripts...
Very sensible idea here.

Quote:
Since there is a similarity of munitions, captured Imperial Medium and Light tanks could supplement the hard-to-replace Rhinos and the readily-replaced Wolverines, with Darcsen crews. (I already imagine the report in line at production being, "I built this thing!")
And yes, said captured vehicles could also be used as bases for the abovementioned variants. Recall, too, the notional psychological impact upon Imperial forces of encountering such vehicles refitted as robots/drones.

Quote:
Flak Troopers I'm thinking will end up being people who aren't so accepting of Communism, not unlike RA3's version. It's plausible, possibly to both his and DC20's chagrin, that Cezary ends up as the most expendable unit available to the Soviets...
Which could prove an interesting avenue for character development/study. Or something.

And seeing as we're borrowing the T-93 from EndWar (I really should get back into that game sometime), I'm going to bring another 'import' forward for consideration...

Spoiler for 'Voron' (Raven):
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-13, 15:42   Link #463
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Quite true. And the T-33 could also end up, as previously noted, being the basis for Soviet unmanned tanks (whether these are remotely-crewed vehicles or actual robots in the sense of Terror Drones is open to debate - perhaps there is a small program evaluating the merits of each).
Given how the T-33 is the most readily available Soviet tank (and the fact that Terror Drones already exist, these being the post-YR Soviets) could indeed see field tests concerning Robot Tanks - though, granted, the lack of Yuri as of yet precludes any true use for a robotic Wolverine tank.

Quote:
Not quite. The T-33's smaller frame (compared to the Rhino, Ogre, and Apocalypse) makes it - with proper infantry support - a good choice for urban operations. In such an environment, the Devil's Tongue and its toxin-spraying sibling are also quite effective.
True, as the T-33 is actually slightly smaller than the Allied counterpart. Speaking of the Allies, room for more Paradox shout outs is present, as well as RA2 units ("Great Dane" Prism Tanks and "Beagle" Mirage Tanks).

Quote:
Very sensible idea here.
This could also be used for Darcsens as a whole being indoctrinated into Communist ideology. One might assume that Marchenko is a bit more manipulative than he appears (compared to the likes of Max and Damon, Marchenko has a decidedly utilitarian uniform, but that olive green Marshal's [later snow white Generalissimo's] uniform hides a man who might do just about anything. Given the lack of a Premier Romanov above him, we can assume the Marshal will probably delve into stolen technology from Yuri, no?)

Quote:
And yes, said captured vehicles could also be used as bases for the abovementioned variants. Recall, too, the notional psychological impact upon Imperial forces of encountering such vehicles refitted as robots/drones.
The psychological effect might be something, but we have to assume that Marchenko is willing to expend Rubles and Ducats on developing robotic control systems when a crew is so much cheaper to train. Sure, a Robot can simply be repaired after every engagement, but wouldn't it jack up the costs of a cheap vehicle? Seeing such a thing employed on the Ogre or Rhino (or even Apocalypse!) could actually be much scarier.

Quote:
Which could prove an interesting avenue for character development/study. Or something.
Well, we can assume that the Soviets are QUITE intolerant of what occurs in Fouzen. Since they aren't resticted by treaties at home, I can see a particular sadistic commander getting handed Fouzen POWs.

Rosie, Cezary, Theold and Rosina will probably end up FTC members against their will. While three of them will undoubtedly be quite capable to be Flak Troopers, Mr. Regard will probably have to be chained to a Darcsen soldier to be kept in line (the 'Stinky Darkhair' comments rewarded with a butt stroke to the forehead.)

Quote:
And seeing as we're borrowing the T-93 from EndWar (I really should get back into that game sometime), I'm going to bring another 'import' forward for consideration...

Spoiler for 'Voron' (Raven):
A bit high-tech for the RA2 Soviets, but given the Schizo Tech, they seem to be all over the place concerning what's been developed (Airships and robotic spiders in the same faction!), seeing such a close-fitting suit standing next to a Tesla Trooper (or worse, Marchenko's elite guardsmen, which will undoubtedly have heavier suits!) probably isn't off the table, as we can predict Darcsens will be given AK-47s, Olive green uniforms and perhaps a helmet, contrast the "regular" Assault Troopers equipped with AK-115s, heavy body armor (giving them a bulkier appearance than the Imperials), and anti-vehicle grenades.
Old 2010-05-14, 19:50   Link #464
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Given how the T-33 is the most readily available Soviet tank (and the fact that Terror Drones already exist, these being the post-YR Soviets) could indeed see field tests concerning Robot Tanks - though, granted, the lack of Yuri as of yet precludes any true use for a robotic Wolverine tank.
As noted, any true robotic units would so far exist only in small numbers, representing one of several projects Moskvin has fermenting in Dreamland.

Quote:
True, as the T-33 is actually slightly smaller than the Allied counterpart. Speaking of the Allies, room for more Paradox shout outs is present, as well as RA2 units ("Great Dane" Prism Tanks and "Beagle" Mirage Tanks).
As previously noted, there is nothing which says the Soviets can't try their hand at reverse-engineering certain bits of Allied technology (reference to a certain mission from the RA2 Allied campaign taking place in Central America is suggested); as it turns out, their take on vehicle-scaled prism tech is not as compact as the original, meaning that the only vehicle which can carry it and respectable (in Soviet terms) armor is the Apocalypse. Both 'Prometheus' and 'Harbinger' seem decent nicknames for such a variant... which, if it appears at all in the story, will show up somewhere after the mid-game. Of course you can imagine what assumptions would be made by many in Europa upon seeing this thing in action.

Quote:
This could also be used for Darcsens as a whole being indoctrinated into Communist ideology.
From the Evil Overlord List: rebellion is much less of a problem if the average citizens like your adminstration.

Quote:
...we can assume the Marshal will probably delve into stolen technology from Yuri, no?
Fun with Psionics aside, this can also bring into the Red Army's chemical weapons roster the psychoactive agent deployed by Chaos Drones.

Quote:
The psychological effect might be something, but we have to assume that Marchenko is willing to expend Rubles and Ducats on developing robotic control systems when a crew is so much cheaper to train. Sure, a Robot can simply be repaired after every engagement, but wouldn't it jack up the costs of a cheap vehicle?
Quite true. While the actual robot tanks might end up not existing beyond test articles, this program would give the Soviets an array of smaller unmanned units aside from the Terror Drones; chief among these being UAVs.

Quote:
Seeing such a thing employed on the Ogre or Rhino (or even Apocalypse!) could actually be much scarier.
Oh yes, it certainly would be... have a look at where Steve Jackson Games went with the idea.

Quote:
Mr. Regard will probably have to be chained to a Darcsen soldier to be kept in line (the 'Stinky Darkhair' comments rewarded with a butt stroke to the forehead.)
And thus is born a gag which could crop up every now and again, albeit not too often.

Quote:
A bit high-tech for the RA2 Soviets, but given the Schizo Tech, they seem to be all over the place concerning what's been developed (Airships and robotic spiders in the same faction!), seeing such a close-fitting suit standing next to a Tesla Trooper (or worse, Marchenko's elite guardsmen, which will undoubtedly have heavier suits!) probably isn't off the table...
Actually, the only bit of really high-tech in that kit would be the night-vision goggles. Note that unlike their Allied progenitors, they are not self-contained; they draw power from an external unit (on the operative's upper back; not visible in photo). The issues currently faced by the Soviets in manufacturing this equipment is one reason Zeroes - as Voron operatives have come to be informally dubbed - are so rare; another being their demanding training regimen.
Old 2010-05-14, 21:18   Link #465
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
As noted, any true robotic units would so far exist only in small numbers, representing one of several projects Moskvin has fermenting in Dreamland.
Save for Terror Drones, which, in both incarnations, are quite common sights.

Quote:
As previously noted, there is nothing which says the Soviets can't try their hand at reverse-engineering certain bits of Allied technology (reference to a certain mission from the RA2 Allied campaign taking place in Central America is suggested); as it turns out, their take on vehicle-scaled prism tech is not as compact as the original, meaning that the only vehicle which can carry it and respectable (in Soviet terms) armor is the Apocalypse. Both 'Prometheus' and 'Harbinger' seem decent nicknames for such a variant... which, if it appears at all in the story, will show up somewhere after the mid-game. Of course you can imagine what assumptions would be made by many in Europa upon seeing this thing in action.
Harbinger puts me in mind of a Gunship, and Prometheus doesn't sound Soviet enough. Consider the naming convention, to the Gallians naming things for plants, for the Soviets is fictional and real creatures considered to be thick-skinned. Probably the build of the turret (an Apocalypse tank's with a blue glowing "eye") could see this thing named "Cyclops". If the Empire manages to field Valkyria aside from Selvaria, some Cyclops tanks could easily deal with the threat without having to worry about a Tesla weapon's feedback (which the Soviets will have probably discovered via scientific means. Nothing is preventing them from 'spying' on a particular triad's visit to the Barious temple.)

Quote:
From the Evil Overlord List: rebellion is much less of a problem if the average citizens like your adminstration.
Marchenko will probably follow a fair deal of that list, save for the part about face-obscuring masks (granted, Marchenko's masks serve for more than just making soldiers faceless goons. It's fairly tough armor in its own right.) And the part about a five-year-old adviser. Moskvin is 'close enough'.

Quote:
Fun with Psionics aside, this can also bring into the Red Army's chemical weapons roster the psychoactive agent deployed by Chaos Drones.
Well, such weapons might fall under the same stuff that bans chemical gas. Since the Reds aren't yet ready to "attack", we could actually see things such as Sarin go by the wayside, as well as Atomic weapons (though, granted, that would probably be a one-use kind of weapon, as a demonstration in the 'destroyer of worlds' the Soviets CAN be.)

Needless to say, there could be some bright spark somewhere on Europa that figures out how to make a "man made Final Flame", and for reasons of bastardry, I'm currently using a man name of Doctor Robert J. Melchiott as Europa's Oppenheimer (undoubtedly making Alicia conflicted when Dr. Melchiott goes public with his A-bomb knockoff.)

Quote:
Quite true. While the actual robot tanks might end up not existing beyond test articles, this program would give the Soviets an array of smaller unmanned units aside from the Terror Drones; chief among these being UAVs.
...which, of course, means the Soviets are going to start putting guns on the little buggers.

Quote:
Oh yes, it certainly would be... have a look at where Steve Jackson Games went with the idea.
With the Cyclops coming into play, at least here, the unmanned version could actually be given a synthetic voice for show only. To borrow from the Daleks, "EX-TERM-IN-AAAATE!" Fairly certain even Selvaria would be fearful when a tank produced an inhuman-sounding voice and called for eradication, eh?

Quote:
Actually, the only bit of really high-tech in that kit would be the night-vision goggles. Note that unlike their Allied progenitors, they are not self-contained; they draw power from an external unit (on the operative's upper back; not visible in photo). The issues currently faced by the Soviets in manufacturing this equipment is one reason Zeroes - as Voron operatives have come to be informally dubbed - are so rare; another being their demanding training regimen.
The appearance is what actually got me. Consider that the Soviets follow the idea that bigger = better. Since those suits strike me as too slender, I simply don't see it fitting in.
Old 2010-05-15, 11:07   Link #466
Firefly00

Quote:
Save for Terror Drones, which, in both incarnations, are quite common sights.
With the resultant amusing mental image of a Sickle riding herd on a pack of them...

Quote:
Harbinger puts me in mind of a Gunship, and Prometheus doesn't sound Soviet enough. Consider the naming convention, to the Gallians naming things for plants, for the Soviets is fictional and real creatures considered to be thick-skinned. Probably the build of the turret (an Apocalypse tank's with a blue glowing "eye") could see this thing named "Cyclops".
This convention could also explain why 'golem' came into use as a slang term for battlesuits... which would also be a nod to Activision's 1998 reimagining of Battlezone as a 'first-person RTS': the Cosmo Colonist Army (Soviet) walker unit is in fact referred to as such.

Quote:
If the Empire manages to field Valkyria aside from Selvaria, some Cyclops tanks could easily deal with the threat without having to worry about a Tesla weapon's feedback...
And as noted, the Soviets could take a page from Nod's playbook by using airborne reflectors to extend the Cyclops' engagement envelope. While Kirovs are certainly stable enough for the task, I think smaller, remote-piloted airships might be used to fill that role... after all, Kirovs are quite capable of carrying the prism weapons themselves.

Further, with the right mounts and targeting equipment, prism ordnance is easily capable of engaging artillery shells in flight...

Quote:
Marchenko will probably follow a fair deal of that list, save for the part about face-obscuring masks (granted, Marchenko's masks serve for more than just making soldiers faceless goons. It's fairly tough armor in its own right.) And the part about a five-year-old adviser. Moskvin is 'close enough'.
You might be amused to hear that Just Cause 2 has a nod to the EOL: one of the 'high-value targets' sprinkled about the fictional nation of Panau is noted as being one of the more competent and effective folks in its armed forces. The info blurb goes on to mention that this is believed to be so because he has the intelligence of a five-year-old.

Quote:
Well, such weapons might fall under the same stuff that bans chemical gas. Since the Reds aren't yet ready to "attack", we could actually see things such as Sarin go by the wayside, as well as Atomic weapons (though, granted, that would probably be a one-use kind of weapon, as a demonstration in the 'destroyer of worlds' the Soviets CAN be.)
Agreed; Sarin and its ilk would remain under wraps until 'kickoff', whenever that occurs.

Quote:
Needless to say, there could be some bright spark somewhere on Europa that figures out how to make a "man made Final Flame", and for reasons of bastardry, I'm currently using a man name of Doctor Robert J. Melchiott as Europa's Oppenheimer (undoubtedly making Alicia conflicted when Dr. Melchiott goes public with his A-bomb knockoff.)
Bonus points if at that point the Soviets still have the genuine article under wraps. Of course, it's quite plausible that the good Dr. Melchiott's program was what happened when it was discovered that the Empire was working on such a thing.

Quote:
...which, of course, means the Soviets are going to start putting guns on the little buggers.
No surprise there. Every little bit helps, after all.

Quote:
With the Cyclops coming into play, at least here, the unmanned version could actually be given a synthetic voice for show only. To borrow from the Daleks, "EX-TERM-IN-AAAATE!" Fairly certain even Selvaria would be fearful when a tank produced an inhuman-sounding voice and called for eradication, eh?
Especially if said tank is still up and running after taking a hit that should have killed its crew. Most of the Apocalypse soundbites from the games work well here too, as does this Star Trek nod: "Resistance is futile."

Quote:
The appearance is what actually got me. Consider that the Soviets follow the idea that bigger = better. Since those suits strike me as too slender, I simply don't see it fitting in.
I see that argument, and raise the following refutations:
  1. Voron's role in the ORBAT is simply incompatible with the 'Bigger is Better' philosophy;
  2. Being the clever, manipulative Magnificent Bastard that he is, Marchenko would recognize the need for such a set of capabilities; and
  3. in the unlikely event a Zero is actually seen, most observers would not believe him or her to be a Soviet operative precisely because of that philosophy
To further the obsfucation, I can see Voron modifying select Gallian and Imperial small arms for their needs (read: integral suppression, rail mounts, et cetera).
Old 2010-05-15, 12:00   Link #467
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
With the resultant amusing mental image of a Sickle riding herd on a pack of them...
Good for PR stunts, but in the field, Terror Drones operate independent of a Sickle herder.

Though, this does call forth a 'rodeo' when, say, Alex attempts to ride a drone.

Quote:
This convention could also explain why 'golem' came into use as a slang term for battlesuits... which would also be a nod to Activision's 1998 reimagining of Battlezone as a 'first-person RTS': the Cosmo Colonist Army (Soviet) walker unit is in fact referred to as such.
Hmm... a non-Tesla version of the suit could actually be titled the Golem.

Quote:
And as noted, the Soviets could take a page from Nod's playbook by using airborne reflectors to extend the Cyclops' engagement envelope. While Kirovs are certainly stable enough for the task, I think smaller, remote-piloted airships might be used to fill that role... after all, Kirovs are quite capable of carrying the prism weapons themselves.
Since this is the Post-YR Soviets, the Siege Chopper could make for a decent mirror vehicle.

Quote:
Further, with the right mounts and targeting equipment, prism ordnance is easily capable of engaging artillery shells in flight...
Undoubtedly, though, a couple of failures will probably serve to anger S.A. Marchenko, because Darcsens are not Conscripts. They are not as readily-available. The more of them the lose in battle, the less there are that will be willing to replace them (eventually leading to better training and body armor, though not near to the degree Assaultmen get).

[QUOTE]You might be amused to hear that Just Cause 2 has a nod to the EOL: one of the 'high-value targets' sprinkled about the fictional nation of Panau is noted as being one of the more competent and effective folks in its armed forces. The info blurb goes on to mention that this is believed to be so because he has the intelligence of a five-year-old.[/QUOTE

Heh...

Quote:
Agreed; Sarin and its ilk would remain under wraps until 'kickoff', whenever that occurs.
At least, until the Soviets make it clear they are quite aggressive. By that point, though, Marchenko could probably have the Darcsens under his thumb, meaning that, potentially, Isara could trade the Edelweiss for a Wolverine or possibly, if the Marshal takes notice of her skills, an Ogre or Apocalypse.

Quote:
Bonus points if at that point the Soviets still have the genuine article under wraps. Of course, it's quite plausible that the good Dr. Melchiott's program was what happened when it was discovered that the Empire was working on such a thing.
Methinks Dr. Melchiott will end up both surprised and angered when the Soviets DO reveal their Hydrogen bombs, though strategic arms in the Megaton range would still be off the table until the Empire attempts to sic a horde of Artificial Valkyria on the Soviets. Cue a missile version of Tsar Bomba flying at the Imperial capital, undoubtedly subduing most of Europa with that single massive explosion (and with no forward warning systems, the Empire likely would not see the bomb until it was minutes from impact.)

Quote:
Especially if said tank is still up and running after taking a hit that should have killed its crew. Most of the Apocalypse soundbites from the games work well here too, as does this Star Trek nod: "Resistance is futile."
Notable is that the Cyclopses could get killed by a lucky Valkyria who manages to sneak by the massive tank's prism beam. While it's great for crowd control, a possible weakness (aside from the lac of an Anti-Aircraft targeting system) would be the lack of an 'intercept weapon'. The appearance of an unmanned tank is a simple act, as Marchenko quite well remembers the Super Tank incident of their WWII.

Quote:
I see that argument, and raise the following refutations:
  1. Voron's role in the ORBAT is simply incompatible with the 'Bigger is Better' philosophy;
  2. Being the clever, manipulative Magnificent Bastard that he is, Marchenko would recognize the need for such a set of capabilities; and
  3. in the unlikely event a Zero is actually seen, most observers would not believe him or her to be a Soviet operative precisely because of that philosophy
To further the obsfucation, I can see Voron modifying select Gallian and Imperial small arms for their needs (read: integral suppression, rail mounts, et cetera).
Ah... now it's clear. Possibly a lack of Soviet markings (and, in fact, anything that could identify them as Soviet save for spoken language and a light accent in everything else), and even the tendency to wear enemy uniforms, could aid in this (in the Enemy Uniform case, how a Voron would tell a fellow operative from an actual enemy would be a password made up of complex Russian terms only a person who spoke it as their mother tongue would know.)

EDIT: For lulz, I've been considering callsigns for platoons, EndWar style.

Spoiler for Soviet Callsigns:

Spoiler for Gallian Callsigns:

Last edited by RedShocktrooper; 2010-05-16 at 01:00.
Old 2010-05-24, 22:41   Link #468
Runty

After a freaking 5-month delay (damn you, writer's block!), I finally have finished my 9th chapter of Lone Wulf. Here it is.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5060248/...cles_Lone_Wulf

ENJOY!
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 00:15   Link #469
Snowman24

AWESOME!!... but awww it's midnight and I got work tomorrow... but I will definately read it. Thanks for finally getting it out!!

I've been hoping each time I checked the fanfic site, that I'd finally see it and now I do. After or maybe even during work I'll read it.
Snowman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 07:10   Link #470
KariOhki

Awesomesauce! Great way to start the morning -3-
Meidoshow: Maidklutz, Meirdio, Morooka, Seiba, Glassesmeido
KariOhki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-25, 13:11   Link #471
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty View Post
After a freaking 5-month delay (damn you, writer's block!), I finally have finished my 9th chapter of Lone Wulf. Here it is.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5060248/...cles_Lone_Wulf

ENJOY!
I'd keep an eye out, Runty. An Alicia fanboy's been making the rounds.

Good stuff, though.
Old 2010-06-25, 17:17   Link #472
HashiriyaR32
GT-R Fanatic

Apparently, someone on TV Tropes made a recommendation for this fanfic.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5854733/

Titled "EndWar Chronicles". Take the 3 major EndWar factions, add a little "Final Countdown" or Chronosphere like dimension/time-hopping, and.....yeah. Don't mind the grammar. I've made a mention about that in a review. Hope he fixes them, but do enjoy what's written so far.
Old 2010-06-26, 05:52   Link #473
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

I've officially run into myself. Full circle and such. I'll relay that to him if he doesn't get it in the review.
Old 2010-06-28, 01:19   Link #474
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

I don't know why, but this idea came up:

Valkyria Chronicles/ Problem Sleuth
Old 2010-07-01, 16:31   Link #475
Firefly00

Been busy playing Dead to Rights: Retribution, Alpha Protocol, and Bad Company 2's new Onslaught mode; Crackdown 2 is somewhere on the to-get queue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HashiriyaR32 View Post
Apparently, someone on TV Tropes made a recommendation for this fanfic...
Hm, this is interesting (given my musings about how similar aspects of the two games' mechanics are); I'll have to take my time with its digestion.

Quote:
I don't know why, but this idea came up:

Valkyria Chronicles/ Problem Sleuth
Oh don't worry, there's more surprising still, as the existence of this crossover category proves.
Old 2010-07-01, 20:25   Link #476
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Well, considering how Problem Sleuth characters don't explicitly speak, that might be hard to write while staying true to the source material. VC/Homestuck might be easier, but you'd get gonked for writing like the characters are chatting. (Pesterlogs, Spritelogs, and Troll-logs)

Also, someone off on the Sega forum has convinced me to take my VC/RA idea and make the jump from simple fanfiction to mod/independent game.
Old 2010-07-11, 13:14   Link #477
Firefly00

Quote:
Also, someone off on the Sega forum has convinced me to take my VC/RA idea and make the jump from simple fanfiction to mod/independent game.
Good on you; it'll be interesting to see how that works out.

On this note, I was playing around with the Blacklight: Tango Down demo and I found myself thinking, 'hey, the Valkyria Chronicles universe could easily support a game such as this'. To sum up Blacklight: BC2 (with Onslaught-style co-op mode) minus the single-player campaign, plus Army of Two-style weapon customization (this even includes little 'trinkets' that have their own benefits) and character customization (for each faction there's a range of unlockable models and camo patterns).
Old 2010-07-11, 19:47   Link #478
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Well, the customization would most certainly work for the Gallians, but not really for the Soviets. While, for the Gallians, the player assumes control of both Welkin and Avan Hardins from VC2, the Soviet player is simply referred to as "Regiment Commander Yakhot", and customizing your troops wouldn't bode well with the idea that the Reds use a "One-size-fits-all" approach to how they equip troops. Granted, the Soviet "Heroes" such as Boris, Volkov and Natasha could well have personally selected weapons as chose by the player, but the standard troops cannot.

Furthering on this, I remember reading through this thread and you suggesting Isara turn the Edelweiss into a Mammoth tank - something I am considering introducing (using, of course, actual Mammy parts). It would actually be a steady process - the intermediate tank being the "Edelweiss III", and the final result being the "Gladiolus". The EIII would have the original features mixed with those of the Mammoth (For instance: the Edelweiss II's turret, modified to have 20mm cannons on the side for AA, and twin 88mm cannons), with Gladiolus being a full-blown Mammoth (two 120mm cannons, four treads, and missiles.) The "EIII" turret could resemble the turret the Edelweiss uses when it gets the Level III Barrel upgrade (which somewhat resembles the turret of an M60 Patton mixed with a King Tiger's), mixed with the Armadillo's turret (which is little more than the T-54/55's with twin barrel mounts). ERA Blocks are optional in terms of appearance.

EDIT: Also, the idea that VC2's characters end up showing up actually makes things a bit easier for the player, allowing them a third tank and some extra slots for squadmembers (16-19 instead of 8-10). I'm also thinking the "Leaders" (Alicia, Avan, Welks, etc.) have some status buff for the friendlies around them (increased damage resistance for Largo, for instance). More leaders = more status buffs.

Should I have a Soviet defect, granting a fourth, though non-leader, tank?
Old 2010-07-12, 00:07   Link #479
Firefly00

Quote:
Well, the customization would most certainly work for the Gallians, but not really for the Soviets...
Once again, it seems I was less than perfectly clear. I'd been musing about a hypothetical 'Battlefield Gallia' game which would entail the best points of Bad Company 2 and Blacklight: Tango Down.

Though, as I've noted, VC and EndWar mechanics seem to go so well together as far as larger-scale tactical exercises go.

Quote:
Furthering on this, I remember reading through this thread and you suggesting Isara turn the Edelweiss into a Mammoth tank - something I am considering introducing..
Yes, good thought. Extra bonus: the Mammoth's size means it could possibly take a cue from the Israeli Merkava and have a passenger/cargo compartment of sorts.

Quote:
Also, the idea that VC2's characters end up showing up actually makes things a bit easier for the player...
I like this idea; it reminds me (again) of the Dawn of War mechanics (not a bad thing by any means). As for that last question: I could see that being an unlockable 'item' (either awarded for beating the campaign or after completing a certain set of conditions).
Old 2010-07-12, 22:00   Link #480
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Oh, a "Battlefield Gallia?" I actually considered using one of many FPS engines out there to try and make a Battlefield-style shooter, with VC elements mixed in to produce a game version of my fic. I even managed to work out separate trees for the US, Wehrmacht and Red Army, with weapons in all roles (for instance, the Thompson being the US Army's magazine tree [with M1921 and M1928 being the "vanilla" guns], the BAR 1918 being Firepower, and the M50 Reising being effect).

---

Well, the Gladiolus could certainly take cues from the Merkava, and in fact the regular Edelweiss (if the anime is to be trusted) can carry infantry, just like the Merkava. The original Soviet model probably would have much of what would otherwise be infantry space occupied with spare parts and the engineering crew - the Soviet Mammoth and Elephant "self-repair" to a certain extent, as does the later Apocalypse. The role of APC could be filled by something akin to the BMP-2 or, borrowing from RA3 Paradox, a modified Armadillo (based from the Anvil's ability to be a combat transport.)

The unlockable Soviet tank will probably be unmodifiable, unlike the three Gallian tanks (Gladiolus/Edelweiss, Shamrock, and the VC2 tank), and always be stuck as a regular Armadillo. The idea behind the unlocked Soviet tank is that you simply have him there like a regular unit that's a simple meat shield.

The VC2 characters could come into play as "reinforcements" to fight the Soviets, though as I've mused before, the Darcsen characters (Mishlitt[?] and Magali) would probably defect to the Soviets (that Equal Share thing coming back). Other characters might fight the Soviets for various other reasons - the aforementioned Soviet defector, for instance, could be on the bad end of a NKVD hunt.

Finally: Art Style. I'm thinking the Soviets would use modern, camouflaged uniforms to contrast the WWI-II style the Gallians and Empire use. Perhaps using AK-100-style rifles to depict the Soviet war machine as being "soulless" (their tanks lack any decorative parts and in fact look cramped, just like in real life, and they act more so as a collective than as individual soldiers.)

Tags
fanfiction