AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 17 21.25%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 32.50%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 26.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 15.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.50%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-04-30, 04:59   Link #1
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Italy
Eden of the East - Episode 4 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Eden of the East, Episode 4.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Pellissier is offline  
Old 2009-04-30, 11:12   Link #2
Weils
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Spoiler for Ep. 4 spoilers:
Weils is offline  
Old 2009-04-30, 11:15   Link #3
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
*bitchslaps the movie obsessed Production IG staff member*
Seriously, it's like "make sure to have a copy to IMDB with you when watching this series, else you'll not get half the references" -.-
Definitely got a WTF from me at one moment in this ep

So~~~ 1/3 into the series, this seems to be the ep where mass information is given and we're beginning to understand the scope of the game the Selecao are caught up in.

Not as 'fun' or 'on the edge' as previous eps and very heavy on the new material, but nonetheless interesting.
__________________

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline  
Old 2009-04-30, 17:03   Link #4
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Sunshine State
Age: 23
This definately calls for subs lol

Can't say much but yeaaaaah
Spoiler:
Starry Dust is offline  
Old 2009-04-30, 18:52   Link #5
hamstar
just passing by
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Exia
the whole dream sequence was totally random and unrealistic... I'm glad it was just a dream sequence.

This episode is so far the worst because it didnt move the plot that much further.
__________________
hamstar is offline  
Old 2009-04-30, 19:10   Link #6
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
I'm glad it was just a dream sequence.

This episode is so far the worst because it didnt move the plot that much further.
It drove the plot a hell of a lot further what you're on about? O.o
Before a story can go anywhere, the readers/watchers have to know what the deal is with the world and in this case the rules and origin is that some of the characters are involved in otherwise if it simply went to another event without us knowing the context in which they're acting, then we get a lot of:

I don't understand what's going on, why did they do such and such.
Why is this important? It didn't seem that vital.

This is gonna a serious bitch of an ep to translate for the subbers and prob some misinterpretation along the way, but should it be done well and you check it out, you'll understand just how important this ep is.
It's ep 4 out of 11, there is no time to run ahead with the story without giving some background info to us and this is what today's was about.

For some, i sense they'll complain of boredom. For others, they'll be more intrigued.
__________________

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline  
Old 2009-04-30, 19:41   Link #7
Raiga
tl;dr
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 22
I didn't really find myself bored this episode, even though almost all the explanation went over my head (from what I could tell, Dr. V was outlining the rules of the Selecao system? And that one out of the twelve Selecao is the Supporter... and Akira is Mr. Outside?). Still gonna need subs, but the atmosphere was very nicely set throughout, and it seems the suspicions that Saki likes nii-chan-in-law were correct.
__________________
Raiga is offline  
Old 2009-04-30, 20:04   Link #8
hamstar
just passing by
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Exia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
It drove the plot a hell of a lot further what you're on about? O.o.
just saying "what are you talking about?" then not giving reasons why I'm wrong is not a knockdown argument or even an argument at all. What are your reasons for why you think the plot moved forward this episode?

If you watched the episode and understood Japanase you'll see that nothing really new was shown to us. Most of us know the rules, know about the disappearance of NEETs and stuff about the supporter. We went through all this with the detective. Meeting up with the neurosurgeon this episode didnt really tell us anything new other than the fact the neurosurgeon is a selecao and the main character isnt a supporter.

I'd have to classify this a filler episode.
__________________

Last edited by hamstar; 2009-04-30 at 21:50.
hamstar is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 00:18   Link #9
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Booboo, a troll release.

You'd think some people would do better things with their time.
__________________
orion is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 01:29   Link #10
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
just saying "what are you talking about?" then not giving reasons why I'm wrong is not a knockdown argument or even an argument at all. What are your reasons for why you think the plot moved forward this episode?

If you watched the episode and understood Japanase you'll see that nothing really new was shown to us. Most of us know the rules, know about the disappearance of NEETs and stuff about the supporter. We went through all this with the detective. Meeting up with the neurosurgeon this episode didnt really tell us anything new other than the fact the neurosurgeon is a selecao and the main character isnt a supporter.

I'd have to classify this a filler episode.
I've been deliberately vague since there are no subs yet, so not saying anything direct in terms of what this episode meant. My arguement was, it firmly established all set rules of this game and indicated just how severe the situation was for all the Selecao involved.
It can be open to debate now that if you find yourself in Akira's shoes by the end of ep 4, what would you do? How would you feel?
Kondo stated it but it could simply boil down to speculation on his end, he wasn't the most trustworthy of characters and had given up on trying to even attempt the wishes of the creator. (Mr Outside)
If you mean "forward" by "new events", then:
Spoiler for still being vague but potentially spoilerish:


There were holes in this story and it's concept until this ep.
Like I said, it couldn't proceed too far without shedding some light on things to state as facts.
We're viewing this through the eyes of Akira, who needs to gain info on all of this as much as we do as viewers of the show.
Some people may have sussed it but weren't completely sure.
Others would still be feeling

A "filler" ep is one that has no relevance to the main drive of the overal story, this had pleeeeenty.
This is more my writer's brain talking here, I'm gauging how they're pacing explaining everything and giving out new info in such a short set of eps, but I've a feeling, that the prologue in ep 1 = the last scene in ep 11 and the movie will be the showdown of it all.

Seeing the preview for ep 5 has got me well excited though, can't wait for next week.
__________________

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-05-01 at 02:20.
Mystique is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 03:42   Link #11
Mandoric
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Seeing the preview for ep 5 has got me well excited though, can't wait for next week.
That's interesting. Having watched today's broadcast on Fuji TV, it lacked a preview, as usual. Were you somehow able to pick up the Kansai broadcast, which might somehow be different, even being in "Eastern Capital" rather than "Capital City" or "Long Hills"? Perhaps a spoilered summary would educate the most of us who watch Fuji.
Mandoric is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 04:07   Link #12
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandoric View Post
Perhaps a spoilered summary would educate the most of us who watch Fuji.
Second this. Really wanna know what got Mystique so excited about the elusive preview!!
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is online now  
Old 2009-05-01, 06:19   Link #13
Kaguya
an idler
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Suzuka
Probably, Mystique may be excited in the picture of...
Spoiler for ep5:
Kaguya is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 06:55   Link #14
BlackDove
Unheard
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Fantastic episode.

"Enthusiastic to assist, but cruel when observing."

Also, whoever said it in the general thread was right.

Spoiler:

Last edited by BlackDove; 2009-05-01 at 07:05.
BlackDove is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 09:07   Link #15
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 29
Edit - Nevermind. I downloaded the dupe file.
MeoTwister5 is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 11:30   Link #16
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
If you watched the episode and understood Japanase you'll see that nothing really new was shown to us. Most of us know the rules, know about the disappearance of NEETs and stuff about the supporter. We went through all this with the detective. Meeting up with the neurosurgeon this episode didnt really tell us anything new other than the fact the neurosurgeon is a selecao and the main character isnt a supporter.
Yes, but Akira didn't. Now that he knows, he can start acting. That counts as a plot development in my book.
Haak is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 11:37   Link #17
Somnus
Eh?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
After watching the subs, I'm going to go ahead and agree with Mystique and say this definitely wasn't a "filler". Though there may have been no progress in the overall sense of things, there was huge progress on Akira's end. I'd even go as far as saying NOW he's a geniune Selecao. All in all, I'm still enjoying this show greatly and looking forward to the next.
.
..
...
....Damn, it's not next week yet.
Somnus is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 12:03   Link #18
Lostdreams
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
After watching the subs, I'm going to go ahead and agree with Mystique and say this definitely wasn't a "filler". Though there may have been no progress in the overall sense of things, there was huge progress on Akira's end. I'd even go as far as saying NOW he's a geniune Selecao. All in all, I'm still enjoying this show greatly and looking forward to the next.
.
..
...
....Damn, it's not next week yet.
Damn your lucky. Takes like 5 days for this to be subbed...
I'm dying wanting to know what happened after I read the spoilers posted by the nice people.
Lostdreams is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 12:08   Link #19
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Yep, late to the party here. If ever I had to point to an example of the importance of a well-written synopsis capable of stirring intrigue, I'd point to this series as a negative example; most of the synopses I've seen on this series made me think it was going to be bullshit instead of the great show that it's been so far, and which I've only just found out after hearing plenty of praises for it. -_-"

Anyway, apart from the characters making harebrained decisions with disturbing regularity (such as in this episode, Akira simply taking the pills without any suspicion whatsoever), this has certainly been very intriguing thus far. On the other hand, the premise of the Selecao game is starting to sound a little....familiar. I wonder why. >_>
Ascaloth is offline  
Old 2009-05-01, 12:15   Link #20
Lostdreams
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Yep, late to the party here. If ever I had to point to an example of the importance of a well-written synopsis capable of stirring intrigue, I'd point to this series as a negative example; most of the synopses I've seen on this series made me think it was going to be bullshit instead of the great show that it's been so far, and which I've only just found out after hearing plenty of praises for it. -_-"

Anyway, apart from the characters making harebrained decisions with disturbing regularity (such as in this episode, Akira simply taking the pills without any suspicion whatsoever), this has certainly been very intriguing thus far. On the other hand, the premise of the Selecao game is starting to sound a little....familiar. I wonder why. >_>
sounds like the Liar game.
Lostdreams is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.