AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Old 2009-04-26, 16:15   Link #1
dragonart18

Which computer should i buy?

Hi, I dont know how to build computers so im going to buy a dell xps 630 or a hp Firebird with VoodooDNA 802.

Intel® Core™2 Q9650 (12MB,3.0GHz, 1333FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
8GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz (4 DIMM)
750GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
CrossFireX, Dual ATI Radeon HD 4870 1024MB
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
$1,988.23 total

http://www.dell.com/content/products...ref=dthp&s=dhs

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/pro...rowse1/PDP_PDP

$1,408.86 total

Which one is more worth it, i read the firebird uses less energy so thats good. Also i cant find the firebird 803, i would rather get that than the 802.
dragonart18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 16:49   Link #2
GHDpro
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

As always with questions like this, it would be very helpful to know what you will be doing with it.

For example, are you going to play games, and if so, which games? Or are you just going to use it for internet/office plus watching anime?

The answers to these questions could help determining if you really need such a maxed out PC, or if you should focus (even) more (?) on an (even better) videocard, or could easily live with a lower spec PC a third that price.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 17:40   Link #3
dragonart18

I will use it for online and watching anime. Most of the newer anime files lag on my current pc.. I dont play much games besides sims 2 and maybe 3 in the future but i would at least like the computer to play most games, it doesnt have to be at the highest settings. Thanks for your help!
Old 2009-04-26, 19:37   Link #4
Shadow Kira01

There are 8Gb Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM?! I got the 4Gb one thinking its the most ram possible. Intel Core 2 at 3.0Ghz? Awesome.. Grab the Dell XPS 630 because it has an awesome graphics card. The ATI Radeon series are pretty good..

Personally, I like the DELL brand more. On the contrary, the HP has a quad-core which obviously very useful especially if you are a multi-tasker. Otherwise, grab the DELL and you won't regret it!!
Old 2009-04-26, 19:52   Link #5
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
8GB of ram is a bit too overkill, even for casual gaming because Sims 2 doesn't take that much RAM. 4GB is good enough even if you are gaming because games will rarely use that much RAM. (I recommend 4GB because Vista uses alot of RAM, but Windows 7 will fix that)

Also, if you have enough money, I suggest going for a Core i7 system because they are more future-proof than the Core2 Duo processors, currently bought cheaper than the quad Core2 Processors, and if you were to decide and play more hardcore games like Crysis which is very demanding on hardware, your hardware will be able to run it with high settings well as long you have a good graphics card.

Dell does sell i7 systems, which is alot cheaper than the xps you selected: http://www.dell.com/content/products...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-04-26 at 20:03.
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 21:14   Link #6
dragonart18

I dont like the design of the studio line, so i decided i will get the HP firebird. The major thing i do is watch anime/online so will it be strong enough to last me~5 years? My current computer is a dell dimension 5100 and that lasted me 4 years..
Old 2009-04-27, 02:42   Link #7
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Better be sure that anime and websurfing are the only things you do - 5 years is a lot of time for things to change.

In any case, 8GB of RAM is stupid. For the two things you're doing, even the HP Firebird could be overkill, but go for it if these are your only choices.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-29, 14:21   Link #8
sa547
*Author

@TS: I think unless you're into very heavy, high-end gaming, the given specs are generally too powerful for even the most simplest of tasks like word processing.

I'd pick a PC (preferably assembled to spec) with a balance between affordable and with robust performance.
Old 2009-04-29, 19:35   Link #9
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Send a message via AIM to HayashiTakara
You can get a much better computer if you built it from the ground up, and it'll be overall cheaper.
Old 2009-04-30, 21:47   Link #10
dragonart18

Okay, i received my firebird 802. For some reason, when i turn off the computer my wifi turns off. When its on its fine though. I have a NETGEAR WGR614. The firmware on it should be the newest. Is it compatibility issues with vista 64 bit?
Old 2009-05-01, 06:49   Link #11
dragonart18

Nevermind i fixed it
I thought i was using edit..