AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf II - Episode 0 Rating
Perfect 10 38 40.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 25.26%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 14.74%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 12.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 4.21%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.05%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-20, 11:19   Link #141
Mr. Anime

when i see a cute girl that might be part of an anime, i just have to watch it^^. Unfortunately i already saw canvas2
BUT HORO IS BACK AND EVEN IF SHE SHOULD BE MORE MOE THAN EXPECTED, WHO CARES? I LIKE EVERY ASPECT OF HER CHARACTER
Old 2009-06-25, 13:08   Link #142
SwiftStrike
Reaching for the Heavens

funny ep, (was that balance with hot/cold believable in those times?)
Old 2009-06-25, 15:10   Link #143
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Yup, it was cutting-edge medicine back then.
Old 2009-06-25, 15:15   Link #144
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Lawrence used some odd terms but the basic concept is right -- it drove medieval medical practice for quite a while. The four 'humours' were (blood phlegm, yellow bile, black bile) ... based on what spewed out when you hacked someone up I suppose :P
They had to remain in balance... so the treatment was a combination of folkcraft (this seems to help), lore (someone said it a long time ago), monty python faux-logic (ducks, wood, and witches), and pulled out of the air "sympathetic magic" (rhino horns for virility).

http://www.intermaggie.com/med/humors.php
Old 2009-07-01, 12:57   Link #145
AKnightWhoSaysNi!
Bring me a shrubbery!

The moral of this episode: never ever EVER get sick / hurt before the invention of scientific medicine.

Anyone know the start date for season 2? supposed to be this month sometime isn't it?
Old 2009-07-01, 14:04   Link #146
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnightWhoSaysNi! View Post
Anyone know the start date for season 2? supposed to be this month sometime isn't it?
Thursday, 9 July at 1:15am JST (a.k.a. 8 July at "25:15").
Old 2009-07-01, 14:29   Link #147
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnightWhoSaysNi! View Post
The moral of this episode: never ever EVER get sick / hurt before the invention of scientific medicine.
Despite what we consider funny ideas, people did get better from time to time.

Also, ever wonder what people will think of our own medicine, in 500 years?
Old 2009-07-01, 14:35   Link #148
Jay911

Send a message via ICQ to Jay911 Send a message via AIM to Jay911 Send a message via MSN to Jay911 Send a message via Yahoo to Jay911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Also, ever wonder what people will think of our own medicine, in 500 years?
Punchline of a joke/bash.org quote: "Here, eat this root".
Old 2009-07-08, 23:25   Link #149
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I am so happy this is back. The first season was something I didn't pay attention to at all until all these sigs and avatars popped up. Typically when that happens I begin paying attention to a series.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-07-09, 10:58   Link #150
Wampbit
Vampyre Rabbit

Hmph, 6/10

Horo was cute, very cute, but she had no liveliness, where was the brave and wise ancient wolf, and who was this whining 12 year old?

Apart from that it just didn't do anything for me, it just felt repetitive and rather confused - was not a fan of the OVA although I loved series 1 to bits.
Old 2009-07-09, 11:06   Link #151
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampbit View Post
Hmph, 6/10

Horo was cute, very cute, but she had no liveliness, where was the brave and wise ancient wolf, and who was this whining 12 year old?

Apart from that it just didn't do anything for me, it just felt repetitive and rather confused - was not a fan of the OVA although I loved series 1 to bits.
She's a girl... who's jealous... Seems pretty normal to me.

I guess you maybe mean that "normal" shouldn't be how Horo acts, to which I say, perhaps it's showing that even a wise, ancient wolf, who is portrayed as a female, is not immune from female jealousy.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
Old 2009-07-09, 11:51   Link #152
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Horo has already been shown in season 1 to have a *wide* range of behaviors -- she isn't some 2D "archetype". She chooses whatever tactic or behavior entertains her at the moment (or when she lets her guard down). She wasn't being a "wise, ancient wolf" when she broke down from the fear of loneliness in season 1 either ...
Old 2009-07-13, 21:45   Link #153
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Kayin
I actually think the most important scene in this episode is her dream sequence in a cold forest where she's inbetween her wolf cousins and Lawrence. Lawrence then precedes to turn into bones when Horo reaches him. This dream brings up an important new conflict for Horo - Lawrence and his mortality. Sure, all the flirting and jealousy stuff is cute, but THAT scene will undoubtedly become a central conflict in the story (it has too, since she's immortal and he isn't).

I wonder how much they're going to torture Horo with recurring nightmares or bad dreams about Lawrence. Maybe we'll get flashbacks to past relationships where this has happened before?
Old 2009-07-13, 22:53   Link #154
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
TVTropes: Moe.

...and while you're there: Spice & Wolf.
I'm actually pretty impressed with the writeup for S&W in TVTropes. So often, they seem to be "writing from third hand data".
Old 2009-07-13, 22:57   Link #155
Jay911

Send a message via ICQ to Jay911 Send a message via AIM to Jay911 Send a message via MSN to Jay911 Send a message via Yahoo to Jay911
This is a public service announcement:

Do not click on a tvtropes.org link for any reason if you have something important to do in, say, the next 48 hours from that point.

I'm serious.

Ironically enough, today's xkcd explains why.
Old 2009-09-18, 14:07   Link #156
kenshin-dono
I'm on a boat!!!

ok.. probably was really dumb of me since i just started watching this series, but when i was d.loading the 2nd season i initially got the 2nd oav (ep 0) from ASR_KURO. Well i heard they weren't very acurate/good, and it was just a quick speed sub. so i played some random parts to look at the dialog and some stuff seemed very strange. like the scene where horo is getting flushed around 10:45

ASR_KURO
L:"As i thought you have a fever. Its not because you used too much power is it"
H "Its because of you! You touched my nose while i was in wolf form. When someone touches a wolfs nose.. they.. umm.. i dont feel like saying it"

this confused me a lot because she wasn't in wolf form there, i thought it ws refrence to an earlier episode i hadn't got to yet but that didn't make much sense. I looked around and found out they were a speedsub group. My season 2 d.load is being done by frostii since they seem to do pretty good subs and although they're slower that doesn't matter so much since i just started season 1. Anyway i didn't see it initially but i guess frostii DID release a sub for the OAV! the quality is kinda low though, but heres the description from that scene

Frostii:
L:"But you have a fever. You're completely exausted aren't you?"
H:"It's your fault!"
L:"Hu?"
H:"Your fingers are hard, like the tip of a wolfs nose. And when we wolves rub our noses together its like when you humans... I can't say it"

now that makes more sense, but is still a bit confusing.. because he didn't rub her nose or even really touch it he just put his hand on her forehead and she got really flushed

since the video quality wasn't that great i tried a 3rd group, BSS and the video quality was better and the subs seemed a middleground between frostii and ASR_KURO

BSS
"You do have a fever. You were really tired weren't you?"
"It's your fault!"
"Your finger is hard and its like the tip of a wolfs nose. We wolves rub our noses and with a human, its like... I can't say it"

pretty close to the frostii one, but the ASR_KURO is way off from them

So i guess my questions are as follows:

1) which group would be regarded as having better subs? To me it seems frostii is best, but BSS doesn't seem too bad either, how do they rate? ASR_KURO looks like an average speed subber. I didn't watch the whole episode just checked some scenes . I guess i can just watch all 3 completely when i get to it and keep which one i want but curiuos which would be regarded as the better one

2) am i missing something? what was that whole scene i mentioned about. Was there some scene from an earlier episode i missed, or was the KURO sub just way off? Even with the other subs it doesn't make much sense because he didn't touch her nose. Im really not sure about the dialog here. She seemed to get really flushed when he touched her, im looking for clarification on what they were talking about there. Is it just refrence to something i didnt' see yet since im not that far in the series? I saw no nose rubbing going on =P (though it seems maybe horo wanted some lol)

3).. this whole series of scenes was kinda confusing.. is horo even sick? shes acting strangely. It almost seemed to me like she was actually in heat or something o_O When asked if its some kinda strange sickness she seems kinda embarrassed and says not to worry about it (though that lines a bit different in all 3 subs as well) Is she drunk/sick? or is she in heat or something? I think it makes a bit more sense if shes in heat since it didnt' really seem like she just had a regular fever, and they refer to it as a special sickness.. she also seems unusually focused on Lawrence

blea i just started watching this show now i wanna plow on through to the 2nd series but even if i do that i'll be a bit behind since frostiis a few epps back, what ive seen so far is really good and this skip ahead might have been a bad idea but its piqued my interest more in the series =D

OH, and my first season d.load was AYAKO.. are they prety decent? it was the first batch torrent i had found.. seems ok so far but the fact thats its called wolf and spice for some reason in the filenames is a bit odd. I think Sudo was teh highest rated on anime database but i didn't see a batch of it out there. Not asking for a link to the sudo one since i belive season ones been licenced now, just wondering what the best subber was for it, and if Ayakos decent. They seem rated fairly well. I was outa the fansub scene for years and years and just recently got back into it so im still feeling out what groups are good =P

Last edited by kenshin-dono; 2009-09-18 at 14:28.
Old 2009-09-18, 15:15   Link #157
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

All I can say is I liked Ayako's work reasonably well and was a bit disappointed when they didn't take on season 2. Thats as far as I'll go with the topic since season 1 is now listed as licensed by Funimation. Look forward to seeing their R1 DVD release.
Old 2009-09-18, 18:20   Link #158
kenshin-dono
I'm on a boat!!!

ya i think i'll stick with the ayako subs for now, they seem decent and i like the info at the end of them. I figured it was ok to just ask which sub was considered better for that season, we'll just leave it at that. Im defiantly looking forward to the DVD release, but funmation can be hit or miss on their releases. I actually d.loaded it a while back but never got around to watching it until recently, and then i went ahead and watched most of the season 2 OAV when i just started on the first season >_< lol.

still wondering about my questions regarding the OAV though, all that stuff with horo was confusing
Old 2009-09-21, 12:05   Link #159
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post
1) which group would be regarded as having better subs? To me it seems frostii is best, but BSS doesn't seem too bad either, how do they rate?
I'd stick with Frostii or BSS... personally I prefer BSS but that's strictly a translation style preference (and I won't say I've not gone in and tweaked a few subtitles anyway that made me wince). Haven't been amused by anyone else's attempts so far.
Quote:
2) am i missing something? what was that whole scene i mentioned about. Was there some scene from an earlier episode i missed, or was the KURO sub just way off? Even with the other subs it doesn't make much sense because he didn't touch her nose. Im really not sure about the dialog here. She seemed to get really flushed when he touched her, im looking for clarification on what they were talking about there. Is it just refrence to something i didnt' see yet since im not that far in the series? I saw no nose rubbing going on =P (though it seems maybe horo wanted some lol)
Kuro was simply that far off. They seem to catch individual phrases okay but missed the scene's intent. I find one needs to actually *watch for meaning* when translating, not just ram it through the processor.
Quote:
3).. this whole series of scenes was kinda confusing.. is horo even sick? shes acting strangely. It almost seemed to me like she was actually in heat or something o_O When asked if its some kinda strange sickness she seems kinda embarrassed and says not to worry about it (though that lines a bit different in all 3 subs as well) Is she drunk/sick? or is she in heat or something? I think it makes a bit more sense if shes in heat since it didnt' really seem like she just had a regular fever, and they refer to it as a special sickness.. she also seems unusually focused on Lawrence
That would be kind of funny... but I've always interpreted that sequence to be that she got mad, ate and drank like crazy, but was still a bit compromised from the action and managed to catch a fever/cold. The rest was just melancholy at the complex situation and misinterpreting Lawrence's attention to Nora. She's having a dilemma common in fantasy wherein a long-lived "immortal" becomes attached to a brief-lived "mortal".

Quote:
OH, and my first season d.load was AYAKO.. are they prety decent?
I think they do pretty consistent decent work over the last 3 or 4 years I've used them. Both them and BSS seem willing to take on projects that many others ignore or sidestep because of difficulty or "perceived ego-stroking potential"
Old 2009-09-22, 04:23   Link #160
kenshin-dono
I'm on a boat!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'd stick with Frostii or BSS... personally I prefer BSS but that's strictly a translation style preference (and I won't say I've not gone in and tweaked a few subtitles anyway that made me wince). Haven't been amused by anyone else's attempts so far.
ya ive been just d.loading frostii since i liked their ova tranlation a lot. Im wraping up season 1 right now and have all of frostiis S2 releases so far that i will start asap. Only thing is theyre a bit slow, other groups are further along.

Quote:
Kuro was simply that far off. They seem to catch individual phrases okay but missed the scene's intent. I find one needs to actually *watch for meaning* when translating, not just ram it through the processor.
hu.. thats pretty damn off then! So she was just refering to him touching her forehead? The other subs refer to him rubbing her nose which he didn't do.. was just getting that close to her nose witht he finger enough to set her off o_O if so, yowza lol.

Quote:
That would be kind of funny... but I've always interpreted that sequence to be that she got mad, ate and drank like crazy, but was still a bit compromised from the action and managed to catch a fever/cold. The rest was just melancholy at the complex situation and misinterpreting Lawrence's attention to Nora. She's having a dilemma common in fantasy wherein a long-lived "immortal" becomes attached to a brief-lived "mortal".
hmm.. possibly but i watched it again and i think there might be something to her being in heat. I read through the posts here and theres a lot of people confused by her OOC 'moeness' and fawning over lawrence. Its wayyyy more than her usual little flirtations. The scene with her wagging her tail back and forth crouched over the bed, then jumping up like a puppy with its master when she hears him coming..It does seem far more excessive than usual. Not to mention the whole above thing with her almost hemoraging when he touched her forhead =P

theres also a couple dialog parts that are odd, like when she mentions her illness isn't something a doctor can cure. And when he asks her if she has some strange illness, she responds 'not at all' I dont know, to me its the only thing that really explains her strange behavior. Plus it makes everything much funnier ;P
Closed Thread