AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-05-01, 21:59   Link #1
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
Malware?

I think I've contracted a whole bunch of malware.

My windows prompts me for a login instead of automatically logging in and startsup without explorer.exe on.

I cannot go into several anti-virus sites etc; eg AVG, Bitdefender etc.

In additon to this several of my programs have become corrupted.

I believe this is the work of Malware.

Does anyone know what I can do about it?

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-01, 22:20   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
It seems that you may have Conflicker since it blocks access to anti-virus websites. To be sure, load this page: http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org...feyechart.html. If the images on the top are missing, it means you have the conflicker worm and should get a removal tool.

Worse case:
If it doesn't work or it gets worse, the best thing you can do now is to get a Linux LiveCD to recover your files and reinstall the OS since it would take alot of effort to make the system go back to normal.

Also, after you reinstall Windows, I suggest following the following tips on preventing Malware:
- Always update your OS weekly... These usually fix any security hole in the operating system.
- Do not use a Administrator Account, use a Normal User account... In most cases, most applications do not require administrator privileges and being logged in as administrator puts you into a bigger risk of malware installation.
- Have updated security software
- Use a different browser besides IE to reduce the risk of malware installation via Activex
- Leave UAC on. See Do not use a Administrator Account for more details why.
Old 2009-05-01, 22:33   Link #3
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

Well screw me, I got

"Possibly Infected by Conficker A/B variant"

Also I seem to have reader_s.exe virus too.

I have an urge to reformat myself to Ubuntu now >.>

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-05-02, 00:14   Link #4
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Remove reader_s.exe virus before you try and reformat, its possible for the virus to pop back up if you go online after reformatting

http://www.spywareremovalblog.com/remove-reader_sexe/

in case you can't visit the site to download it, I upped it on mediafire for you
http://www.mediafire.com/?yd12yzlj3mz

if you reformat keep in mind with this:
Reader_s.exe is a virus that is very complex so if you reformat I would surely suggest running the removal tool first but that isn't everything and might not fix the problem because it can pop up again right after, I'm guessing the tool only removes the reader_s.exe file in your windows folder, but the virus can also hides parts in exe files as well as scr and html,htm

as for conficker, I have no knowledge of that virus but I hear it is quite an ass to try and repair
I didn't know they were different variants of the virus so that is a surprise (should read more lol)
anyway reformat does seem like the best solution
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 08:16   Link #5
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

There' a more than likely chance that I'll move to ubuntu.

Using the temp version already. Spydoctor will not be able to download the files neccessary to delete reader_s.exe because of the virus' string blocking function.

Credit To Risa-chan!
Old 2009-05-02, 21:10   Link #6
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Quote:
as for conficker, I have no knowledge of that virus but I hear it is quite an ass to try and repair
I didn't know they were different variants of the virus so that is a surprise (should read more lol)
anyway reformat does seem like the best solution
Conflicker is a worm that exploits a security hole in Windows which disables automatic updates, block websites to security sites and it also downloads payloads to your computer via p2p without anyone knowing. Conflicker can easily be avoided by keeping automatic updates on and installing the updates.

Also, if you are planning to transition to Ubuntu, you should take your time familiarizing with the OS using a live cd since it's alot different than Windows. If you can make use with the open source programs without needing any use of windows-only programs, you will be fine.
Old 2009-05-03, 00:06   Link #7
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Conflicker is a worm that exploits a security hole in Windows which disables automatic updates, block websites to security sites and it also downloads payloads to your computer via p2p without anyone knowing. Conflicker can easily be avoided by keeping automatic updates on and installing the updates.
I see, thank for pointing that out, but what is the difference between variant A,B and C then
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 09:13   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
I have an urge to reformat myself to Ubuntu now
Along with chikorita's useful advice, I'd suggest trying Kubuntu first. It uses the KDE desktop environment (rather than GNOME) and looks a bit more like Windows. You can take the Kubuntu CD for a test drive, too.

You can also try out a few of the cross-platform applications in Windows to see if they'll meet your needs before making the transition to a Linux-based system. Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice, GIMP, and smplayer all run on both platforms.
Old 2009-05-03, 09:17   Link #9
nadare

Send a message via MSN to nadare
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

best anti-malware for me

Although its said "free trial"... Its more like AVG, its totally free even the updates. The difference between full version and trial version is that the full version activates real time protection. But, the trial version only detects malwares when you run "scan".
nadare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 16:55   Link #10
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer

I've made the switch to Ubuntu!

I've heard of Kubuntu but I got some experience with Ubuntu already. Though it is a difficult thing to start off with (The learning curve is atrocious) its useful and I'm having fun with it. The only problem really is game emulation (Not everything is supported by Wine) Also I'm finding Jaunty alittle uncooperative sometimes. But all will be good eventually.

Thanks for the help you guys.

Credit To Risa-chan!