AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Old 2009-05-04, 15:53   Link #1
tachyon80

Question Changing Subtitles on Video Files

Hello.

I have downloaded 43 episodes of an anime show in .mp4 format. The subtitles are really awful and someone posted a link to download 43 .srt files to serve as replacement subtitles. How do I get these .srt files to be the new subtitles for the 43 episodes? Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by tachyon80; 2009-05-04 at 15:54. Reason: email notification
tachyon80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 20:27   Link #2
Shadow Kira01

Have you read this yet?

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic343438.html#1794539

It appears that you can either blank it out and put new subtitles above it or crop it. Either way, the video quality must be compromised..

If it was a single episode, the best solution would be to get a raw and integrate the srt file into the video file before doing an encode using AlltoAvi. It would be work.. However, this doesn't seem to be case, so you will have to make a choice using the above link. It works..
Old 2009-05-04, 21:22   Link #3
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

If they are softsubbed, you might be able to remux them with the SRTs instead of whatever it was that came with them.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-04, 21:31   Link #4
tachyon80

How do I determine if they are soft subbed? How is remuxing done? Is special software used?
Old 2009-05-04, 21:49   Link #5
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
If your files are in .mp4, then there's a good chance they are hardsubbed. Try pressing S on your keyboard while the file is playing. If the subs disappear or change, then it's a softsubbed .mp4 (oh the pain). You better hope that it's softsubbed though, because it would be horrible trying to overlay one sub over another.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 09:08   Link #6
tachyon80

Thank you for the help, everyone. When I play the file (.mp4) the audio is Japanese and there are no subtitles. When I hit "s" on my keyboard it stops the video. I have to pull up Zoom Player's menu with a right-click and select Stream Selection. In Stream Selection, under Source File, I switch it from "no subtitles" to "GPAC Streaming Text Handler [Undetermined]" to get the subtitles. They are tiny white words that easily get lost with the video picture as it changes. Also, the text of the subtitles is poor.

With this in mind, what does it look like I should do to swap in those other .srt subtitle files?
Old 2009-05-05, 10:41   Link #7
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyon80 View Post
Thank you for the help, everyone. When I play the file (.mp4) the audio is Japanese and there are no subtitles.
So they are softsubbed, then? You got lucky.

Quote:
With this in mind, what does it look like I should do to swap in those other .srt subtitle files?
You probably just need to copy them over into a new container without the old sub file.
Spoiler:

Okay, so I read the above now and find it to be a little too messy, so maybe you can get Mediacoder and just have the audio and video streams copied and select the sub file for the video manually (don't forget to set it to "copy" and not "render"). I can post screens when I get home or something...
Old 2009-05-06, 10:27   Link #8
tachyon80

Quote:
maybe you can get Mediacoder and just have the audio and video streams copied and select the sub file for the video manually (don't forget to set it to "copy" and not "render").
Thanks for the advice. I've downloaded MediaCoder 0.7.0.4390. It's an interesting challenge but I'm not sure where to start. What commands do I click on to follow your instructions?
Old 2009-05-07, 09:22   Link #9
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I've downloaded MediaCoder 0.7.0.4390. It's an interesting challenge but I'm not sure where to start. What commands do I click on to follow your instructions?
Alright, first things first I would set an output folder. On the top right side of the Window, press the "..." button and specify a folder you'd like the videos to be output. I suggest it to be a different one from your source files.

Next, to be on the safe side, I'll have your set the application's priority to "Lowest". To do this, go to File > Settings. You'll see a bunch of things, so navigate Overall > Generic > Encoder priority. When you click on "Encoder Priority", you should see On the bottom left of the settings window, you should see a drop-down list. Select "Lowest" and just close the settings window.

Now, to add a video file. I like to just drag and drop the video file onto the empty queue in the top right space of the window. I'll tell you what to do with the srt file later.

Alright, now we're ready to start. See the tabs near the bottom? You should see Generic, Video, Audio, Container, and more.

For video tab, just checkmark "copy video'.
For the audio tab, checkmark "copy audio'.
For the container tab, select 'Matroska" in the drop down list.

You'll notice two arrows right beside these tabs. Press the ">" until you see the subtitle tab. Under this tab, you need to change two things. First, under the drop-down list "Mode" you must select "Copy". This makes it so the subs are copied into the container rather than hardsubbed into the video stream. Secondly, at the bottom of the subtitle options you get a field labled "subtitle" - you need to press "...", navigate and select the srt file.

Once done, you can start the job. Since you are just copying the video and audio streams, it shouldn't take that long. Play the newly output file and get back to me about it :v
I haven't tried this on multiple files in the queue, but I'm assuming it applies the settings to ALL files in the queue, so you may have to do this one episode at a time, changing to the appropriate srt file each time (prove me wrong, somebody!).
Old 2009-05-07, 09:54   Link #10
tachyon80

Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it.

I get a pop up window with a message:
No file is outputed. [OK]

It actually creates a .mkv file in the folder I specified but it's a 0 KB file that won't play. Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 2009-05-07, 16:49   Link #11
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Thanks so much for the help. I really appreciate it.

I get a pop up window with a message:
No file is outputed. [OK]

It actually creates a .mkv file in the folder I specified but it's a 0 KB file that won't play. Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks for all your help!
Give me a screenshot of your summary window on the left hand side of the application when you add a file to the queue.
Old 2009-05-07, 16:59   Link #12
tachyon80

http://www.gearsonline.net/download/video-01.jpg
http://www.gearsonline.net/download/video-02.jpg

That's what I got.
Old 2009-05-07, 23:50   Link #13
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Hmmm... switch Options > User Interface Mode > Expert and see what is output in the logger and console.

Try getting MKVtoolnix -> Drag and drop onto Input files -> Uncheck the subtitles in the tracks section -> drag and drop the SRT onto input -> Make sure it is checked -> Set an output file -> Start muxing.
Old 2009-05-12, 10:14   Link #14
tachyon80

Thanks! MKVToolnix worked great.
Old 2009-05-12, 11:34   Link #15
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Quote:
Thanks! MKVToolnix worked great.
Cool. I'll keep a note of that.