AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-10-19, 16:23   Link #1201
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinoras View Post
What is so wrong with the word irregardless????
Well for one, it's just a bastardized version of "regardless" and when you think about it really means the exact opposite of "regardless" since you're putting a negative prefix in front of it. So let's say for example you say "I'm going to buy a dog regardless of its fur color," meaning you will buy a new dog and the color of the dog's fur will have nothing to do with whether or not you decide to buy it. Now instead you say "I'm going to buy a new dog irregardless of its fur color." Since you put the "ir-" in front of it, it negates the meaning of regardless and you're actually saying the color of the fur WILL affect your decision on buying a new dog. So yeah, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
Going back to your sig pic, that is a smile he can only flash at two girls: Nunnally, and Shirley.
Indeed. At the moment I really can't recall him smiling at any other girls that way. I don't know, did he ever smile that way at Kallen or C.C.?
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 18:01   Link #1202
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Well for one, it's just a bastardized version of "regardless" and when you think about it really means the exact opposite of "regardless" since you're putting a negative prefix in front of it
Per Stewie's law, all those who make use of the word shall be sent to a work camp. Stewie has spoken.
__________________
morbosfist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-19, 18:11   Link #1203
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Well, as much as I would love to continue talking about the use of the word "irregardless" (or the lack thereof) this is the Shirley thread afterall, so I've got a new topic. There's some sources that stated that in the original plans for R2, among other things that could have been, there was supposed to be an extra Shirley subplot that supposedly would have come in earlier in the season. Does anyone have any speculations on this?

I personally have no idea what it could have involved. We can assume that in the original plans for R2 the whole Charles geassing the SC would never have happened so Shirley would still know that Lelouch was Zero at the beginning of the season. I'm the sub-arc would have had something to do with Shirley confronting Lelouch or doing something about it. In the worst-case scenario it could have been a subplot that led to her death, only sooner (if I'm not mistaken I think the writers always were planning to kill Shirley. Bastards.)
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 01:41   Link #1204
HollowScar
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Age: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to HollowScar
Well, Shirley was a like an unnecessary barrier in Lelouch's plan. It is amazing, that Lelouch never killed her, and instead kept deceiving her, to make it better for the both of them. Although I wish that Lelouch and Shirley should have been deeply involved with each other, there was C.C. and Kallen.

It would have been nice, if we could add more to Lelouch's goal's such as creating a fairy tale like place for Shirley, who was there for him when he was in trouble. This way when Shirley died, Lelouch could have had a huge guilt trip, instead of having a fake Nunally death, which kind of spoiled it.
__________________
"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end".
- Ursula Le Guin
HollowScar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-20, 10:51   Link #1205
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollowScar View Post
Well, Shirley was a like an unnecessary barrier in Lelouch's plan. It is amazing, that Lelouch never killed her, and instead kept deceiving her, to make it better for the both of them. Although I wish that Lelouch and Shirley should have been deeply involved with each other, there was C.C. and Kallen.
I don't think it's that amazing that Lelouch never killed her. I mean, even if we take out the romance element she was still at least a close friend to him. I'm sure Lelouch would be hesitant to kill Rivalz, Milly, and Nina as well. I think he would even hesitate to kill an innocent civilian that he didn't know (provided it was a civilian he saw in person. Not a number or statistic like in Narita).

But yeah, it does show how much Lelouch cared for Shirley considering how far he was willing to go to protect her.

Quote:
It would have been nice, if we could add more to Lelouch's goal's such as creating a fairy tale like place for Shirley, who was there for him when he was in trouble. This way when Shirley died, Lelouch could have had a huge guilt trip, instead of having a fake Nunally death, which kind of spoiled it.
What do you call the attack on the Geass Cult? I'd say Lelouch felt very guilty about what happened to Shirley, considering it he knew it was his actions and his negligence that led to her death.

As for creating a fairy tale/paradise for Shirley...well, that could have tied into the whole "making-the-world-a-better-place" thing, but I think for a good part of the show Lelouch just wanted to keep her away from him since she seemed pretty happy otherwise. Who knows though? Perhaps if things had turned out a little differently he may have gone back to her after his whole world revolution thing.

EDIT: As far as blade's question as to displays of love on Lelouch's end towards Shirley, comparable to sending an army after a girl. Well, I guess it really depends on how you interpret certain scenes since, as we all know, there was no guaranteed absolute 100% canon pairing in the series. However, I will gladly point out that Lelouch put his life in immediate danger to save Shirley from jumping off the building. Take it for what you will.

Last edited by Nobodyman9; 2009-10-20 at 13:45.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 19:11   Link #1206
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Ok, time for another chapter.

Spoiler for writing, part 1:


Spoiler for writing, part 2:
__________________

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-10-21 at 21:58.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-21, 20:47   Link #1207
Betteroffer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
EDIT: As far as blade's question as to displays of love on Lelouch's end towards Shirley, comparable to sending an army after a girl. Well, I guess it really depends on how you interpret certain scenes since, as we all know, there was no guaranteed absolute 100% canon pairing in the series. However, I will gladly point out that Lelouch put his life in immediate danger to save Shirley from jumping off the building. Take it for what you will.
Actually, I think the attack on the Geass Directorate would be an excellent comparison. While it doesn't carry the noble element of sending your army after one girl, it is still a staggeringly OOC thing for Lelouch to do. For all his morally ambiguous plans, Lelouch does NOT approve of the killing of the innocent, especially when it is done needlessly. Lelouch is horrified and disgusted with the massacres in Shinjuku and Saitama, and during Euphemia's massacre he was a stone's throw away from a meltdown. Then Shirley dies and Llouch scampers off to massacre children with a goddamn smile on his face (much like Gino).

There is also the fact that Lelouch has a near pathological need to be in charge of things and take responsibility for the consequences, as Schneizel pointed out in Turn 19. Yet Shirley's death is so horrendous to him that he cannot bring himself to accept complete responsibility, going so far as to blame others who are completely uninvolved.

Shirley was important enough for Lelouch to compromise both his sense of justice AND his sense of responsibility for.

Lastly, there is the fact that she was a major motivating factor in Zero Requiem, which pretty much avoids being Character Derailment for Lelouch only because he can be assumed to have gone completely insane.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-23, 12:35   Link #1208
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
Actually, I think the attack on the Geass Directorate would be an excellent comparison. While it doesn't carry the noble element of sending your army after one girl, it is still a staggeringly OOC thing for Lelouch to do. For all his morally ambiguous plans, Lelouch does NOT approve of the killing of the innocent, especially when it is done needlessly. Lelouch is horrified and disgusted with the massacres in Shinjuku and Saitama, and during Euphemia's massacre he was a stone's throw away from a meltdown. Then Shirley dies and Llouch scampers off to massacre children with a goddamn smile on his face (much like Gino).

There is also the fact that Lelouch has a near pathological need to be in charge of things and take responsibility for the consequences, as Schneizel pointed out in Turn 19. Yet Shirley's death is so horrendous to him that he cannot bring himself to accept complete responsibility, going so far as to blame others who are completely uninvolved.

Shirley was important enough for Lelouch to compromise both his sense of justice AND his sense of responsibility for.

Lastly, there is the fact that she was a major motivating factor in Zero Requiem, which pretty much avoids being Character Derailment for Lelouch only because he can be assumed to have gone completely insane.
I must say, you bring up an excellent point. Lelouch suffered many losses throughout the show, but that was the only time he ever did something so irrational and destructive. Very OOC for him. His emotions were definitely in control of him at that point.

BTW, did we ever get a full translation of the narrative dialogue from the Zero Requiem DVD? I know we have the basic jist of it, but I was wondering if someone took the time make a full, clearly understandable translation. In particular I'm curious about what Lelouch said in his narrative right after Shirley's death.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 10:55   Link #1209
asam_laksa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Is this fanart or official art?

asam_laksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 11:30   Link #1210
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Its fanart.
__________________
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 11:32   Link #1211
asam_laksa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
The fanartist must be very good!!!! I am fooled.
asam_laksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 18:12   Link #1212
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by asam_laksa View Post
The fanartist must be very good!!!! I am fooled.
Well, the art itself is very good, but the style is a bit different from official Code Geass fanart. The outlines aren't as thick or defined and the color texture is different.

Anyway, bringing this topic over from the romance thread, how open do you think Shirley is about her body (sexiness)? Personally, while I think she's pretty much comfortable with her body, I don't think it's to the extent that she'll wear just anything anywhere. I'm sure there are some instances (and there have been) where Shirley gets embarassed or uncomfortable in regard to her body.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 18:23   Link #1213
Tr3adst0ne
Rogue Agent
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Roaming
I'd say moderately open. Depending upon the instance, I suppose she would be comfortable wearing revealing clothes up to a point.
Tr3adst0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-07, 22:21   Link #1214
Revolutionist
Puppet Master
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Behind You
Quote:
Originally Posted by asam_laksa View Post
Is this fanart or official art?

Is there a higher res version of that image? I'd love it as a wallpaper on my laptop. Currently using a dull Company of Heroes one....
__________________
I cannot give you back your homes, or restore your dead to life, but perhaps I can give you justice, in the name of our King. ~ Ned Stark
Revolutionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 12:04   Link #1215
Aimingan12
Chibi's Bishie
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In Fire
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Aimingan12
Killing off Shirley was one of the saddest and somewhat expected parts in Code Geass. If they had to kill her either way, why not later? Would'nt that have been better to have her die later? Shirley was a target in Lelouch's way for Rolo so he thought it would be better to kill her. And she was confused after she regained her memory even when she was dying.
__________________

"All is lost."
Aimingan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 12:49   Link #1216
azul120
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimingan12 View Post
Killing off Shirley was one of the saddest and somewhat expected parts in Code Geass. If they had to kill her either way, why not later? Would'nt that have been better to have her die later? Shirley was a target in Lelouch's way for Rolo so he thought it would be better to kill her. And she was confused after she regained her memory even when she was dying.
No, Rolo killed her because she brought up Nunnally, who was a target to his path to Lelouch.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 15:28   Link #1217
Aimingan12
Chibi's Bishie
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In Fire
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Aimingan12
Right, sorry for getting that mixed up.
__________________

"All is lost."
Aimingan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 18:02   Link #1218
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimingan12 View Post
Killing off Shirley was one of the saddest and somewhat expected parts in Code Geass. If they had to kill her either way, why not later? Would'nt that have been better to have her die later? Shirley was a target in Lelouch's way for Rolo so he thought it would be better to kill her. And she was confused after she regained her memory even when she was dying.
Indeed, it was sad, but I fail to see why it would be better to kill her off later. If anything I would think they would have killed her off in the first season since her subplot in R2, like many other things in R2, was more or less a retread of season 1, only this time she kicked the bucket.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 18:11   Link #1219
Aimingan12
Chibi's Bishie
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In Fire
Age: 24
Send a message via MSN to Aimingan12
I'm not suprised to see that she survived in R1, I mean after the massacre caused by Euphie and Nunnally missing Shirley didn't seem likely to die until R2 when Rolo came along.
__________________

"All is lost."
Aimingan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 18:27   Link #1220
Nobodyman9
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 26
What does Euphie's massacre and Nunnally missing have to do with Shirley dying? I was thinking that if she was going to die in Season 1 that she would die during the whole Mao incident.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.