AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2010-03-17, 22:39   Link #1421
Betteroffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
I'd like a Suzumiya-esque take, for some reason. I'm thinking Milly would be the Haruhi, albeit way less abrasive, Shirley would be the Mikuru, naturally, Lelouch would be the Kyon, Suzaku would be the Koizumi, and Euphie would be the Tsuruya.
Who would be Yuki? Kallen, in her Stadtfeld persona or Nina?
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 22:43   Link #1422
Sol Falling

Milly-Haruhi's the only Haruhi analogue that's convincing for me though. Besides, neither Lucky Star nor Haruhi are really shoujo series.

I was thinking shoujo slice-of-life/school life too, and the atmosphere I was envisioning was basically one of those really innocent shoujo titles where the guy is one of those shiny/princely super-nice guys who is also completely oblivious to girls (in a romance sense). A male/highschool version of Yamamoto-sensei basically, if any of you are watching Hanamaru Kindergarten. Actually if I think about it, the atmosphere of Hanamaru Kindergarten would be pretty much perfect all around (though that's not really shoujo either). It's something that's completely lighthearted and heartwarmingly cute, just like the inexplicable essence of Shirley herself, away from the more tragic emotion and drama. Haruhi is a bit too shounen (I can sorta see the connection between Shirley=Mikuru, but could you really see Shirley as such a fanservicey character?), and Lucky Star a bit too otaku. If they did it right though, I think a Shirley manga could be quite a successful manga even, not just a quick and short series.
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 40/5 :: Locodol 24/5 :: Yama no Susume 32/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 22:46   Link #1423
azul120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
Yeah, Stadtfeld!Kallen could be Yuki.
azul120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 22:56   Link #1424
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
Quote:
Yeah, Stadtfeld!Kallen could be Yuki.
Ugh, yes, Kallen please. Anything, just don't bring ugly Nina into this XP

Anyway, well said as always Sol. I think a nice slice-of-life, down-to-earth, shojo-ish series would be great (as we've said numerous times already ) without it being too goofy. I really can't think of any shojo series to compare though, since...well, I really don't know that many shojos. I generally tend to stay within my own demographic

One series that comes to mind though is Clannad. I think it was a very good series and could be a great parallel for what a Shirley manga would be like (minus the tragedy, mind you).
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-17, 22:59   Link #1425
azul120

Actually, the goofy of something like Haruhi would be a nice palate-cleanser for the Trauma Conga Line that was Code Geass, and would capitalize on the comedy potential of the characters.
Old 2010-03-17, 23:15   Link #1426
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Actually, the goofy of something like Haruhi would be a nice palate-cleanser for the Trauma Conga Line that was Code Geass, and would capitalize on the comedy potential of the characters.
True. I think it should implement some humor, just not be, you know, too goofball. Code Geass itself did have a fair amount of humor after all, most of it coming from the Ashford gang.
Old 2010-03-18, 19:09   Link #1427
Lost Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Milly-Haruhi's the only Haruhi analogue that's convincing for me though. Besides, neither Lucky Star nor Haruhi are really shoujo series.

I was thinking shoujo slice-of-life/school life too, and the atmosphere I was envisioning was basically one of those really innocent shoujo titles where the guy is one of those shiny/princely super-nice guys who is also completely oblivious to girls (in a romance sense). A male/highschool version of Yamamoto-sensei basically, if any of you are watching Hanamaru Kindergarten. Actually if I think about it, the atmosphere of Hanamaru Kindergarten would be pretty much perfect all around (though that's not really shoujo either). It's something that's completely lighthearted and heartwarmingly cute, just like the inexplicable essence of Shirley herself, away from the more tragic emotion and drama. Haruhi is a bit too shounen (I can sorta see the connection between Shirley=Mikuru, but could you really see Shirley as such a fanservicey character?), and Lucky Star a bit too otaku. If they did it right though, I think a Shirley manga could be quite a successful manga even, not just a quick and short series.
I'll second this!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-18, 20:23   Link #1428
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Wrong series altogether. This isn't The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. This is the unfortunate murder of Shirley Fenette. Read afew pages back, there is undeniable truth to this.

X3 lol i'm half-serious, by the way. Also, I need confirm if my Shirley pics on the image thread show or not. Other then that....

I negative rep'ed Rolo for killing her. Yeah, Thats what I really think. xP
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-18, 23:30   Link #1429
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Wrong series altogether. This isn't The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. This is the unfortunate murder of Shirley Fenette. Read afew pages back, there is undeniable truth to this.
DUH. That's why we're talking about the possibilities of a much more light-hearted happier story, where Shirley doesn't die! Shirley needs to be at least one universe where Shirley lives happily (if there was ever a reason I wanted them to remake Code Geass, that would be it).

Quote:
X3 lol i'm half-serious, by the way. Also, I need confirm if my Shirley pics on the image thread show or not. Other then that....
Yes. They do show up and they're spectacular!
Old 2010-03-19, 01:00   Link #1430
azul120

That, and Euphie gets to have a Tsuruya style upgrade to Ensemble Darkhorse!
Old 2010-03-19, 09:11   Link #1431
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Nobodyman9, your best hopes of that is three possibilities...

1. They redo the series up to that point, making Shirley simply injured or comatose instead of dead.
2. They let Shirley live, in exchange for her staying in the background.
3. Rai becomes canon and saves Shirley from death.

None of them look likely at this point. So sorry >:3 Looks like Shirley isn't living in an alternate universe afterall.. x(

Melancholy of Lelouch Lamperouge sounds more befitting, considering the character.... Then again, if it was 'The Mao-encholy of Shirley Fenette' that'd be canon.

Yes, I know. I suck x)
Old 2010-03-19, 11:29   Link #1432
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
Nobodyman9, your best hopes of that is three possibilities...

1. They redo the series up to that point, making Shirley simply injured or comatose instead of dead.
2. They let Shirley live, in exchange for her staying in the background.
3. Rai becomes canon and saves Shirley from death.

None of them look likely at this point. So sorry >:3 Looks like Shirley isn't living in an alternate universe afterall.. x(
Hey, we can dream, can't we? It's about as likely as Shirley getting her own manga (sadly).

Quote:
Melancholy of Lelouch Lamperouge sounds more befitting, considering the character.... Then again, if it was 'The Mao-encholy of Shirley Fenette' that'd be canon.

Yes, I know. I suck x)
Actually, that made laugh. Kudos XD
Old 2010-03-20, 21:08   Link #1433
ginran
~Smile~

I was wondering...as far as Shirley look-alikes go, Orihime seems to be mentioned alot. But, who else looks like Shirley? It can be from anything. I know I've seen some others before, but I don't remember exactly who. Haha

Thanks to Yuka-Chan for the sig!
ginran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 21:20   Link #1434
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginran View Post
I was wondering...as far as Shirley look-alikes go, Orihime seems to be mentioned alot. But, who else looks like Shirley? It can be from anything. I know I've seen some others before, but I don't remember exactly who. Haha
Lydia from Earl and Fairy kinda looks like her although her hair is brown instead of orange I guess it would be ok if I post a reference pic....

Spoiler for reference pic:

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 21:22   Link #1435
Nogitsune
Shameless Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloko vi Britannia View Post
Lydia from Earl and Fairy kinda looks like her although her hair is brown instead of orange I guess it would be ok if I post a reference pic....

Omg, that... never crossed my mind, but looking at this...
It's true. xD
Old 2010-03-20, 21:44   Link #1436
ginran
~Smile~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roloko vi Britannia View Post

Oh wow, she really does! Good find! I haven't watched that series yet, so I wasn't familiar with her.

Shirley is also apparently based off Anne from Anne of Green Gables.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gRWMZ-x-wV...een_Gables.JPG

They don't look exactly alike, but the color of their hair and eyes is the same or very similar. Anne's eyes look blue in this pic, but I've seen pics where they are green.

Thanks to Yuka-Chan for the sig!
ginran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 22:15   Link #1437
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginran View Post
Oh wow, she really does! Good find! I haven't watched that series yet, so I wasn't familiar with her.

Shirley is also apparently based off Anne from Anne of Green Gables.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_gRWMZ-x-wV...een_Gables.JPG

They don't look exactly alike, but the color of their hair and eyes is the same or very similar. Anne's eyes look blue in this pic, but I've seen pics where they are green.
I also found two more that kinda also look like her and they are both from H-games or Visual Novels

Ren Aoi
Spoiler for ref pic:

and

Eruru Momoe

Spoiler for ref pic 2:

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 22:44   Link #1438
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

-facepalms- I always wanted to know the girls names. Turns out it's Ren Aoi.... I have to remember that.

???! NYEH? What is the Eruruu girl hiding her shirt? Could it be? Could it be...?!

An oil rig?! n_n!

It's strange how I despise Orihime, but I enjoy the overall purpose of Shirley (Riiiiight until the misogyny kicks in.)

People may not agree, but I think Shirley's smile is more kawai then her blush. It's innocent and shining, to say the least. Plus, when she smiles, Mao-encholy still fresh in mind, it makes you appreciate it.

I would've liked to see Jeremiah save her, though. Scare away Rolo with his awesome new katar and wave it around and be all "My cybernetics bring all the loyalists to the yard! Damn right!" X3
Old 2010-03-20, 22:47   Link #1439
Nobodyman9
Banned

Wow. Good finds everyone. I guess there are quite a few Shirley look-alikes out there

Also, Asuna Kagurazaka looks a bit like her.

Spoiler for Asuna:
Old 2010-03-20, 23:10   Link #1440
Sol Falling

lol, if we're just going by character design, and we're gonna bring H-games into this, then let me mention Shinobu from the yuri manga/OVA Shoujo Sect (on this occasion, take the yuri label to mean that the series is pretty damn explicit).

Here's a pic I found from google:

Spoiler for pic:

Shinobu is a yuri-harem queen and the series is basically about her unrequited love for a girl she met as a kid (er, that's the other girl in the pic :P), which I actually found quite beautifully portrayed in the OVA, so I gotta admit I was quite excited to find such an awesome character who looked so much like Shirley. At the time it even seemed significant to me that Shinobu's name also starts with "Shi", though it's kinda embarassing to admit 'cause that's gotta be like one of the lamest reasons to get excited ever :P.
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 20/5 :: Hanayamata 40/5 :: Locodol 24/5 :: Yama no Susume 32/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote