AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-05-06, 23:28   Link #1
demon2004
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Smile Computer upgrade

ok i have and amd x2 4800+ @2.5 am2
3gb of ddr2 pc 6400 and 320gb sata harddrive
evga 9800gtx+ superclocked

i was just thinking about upgradeing the mother board and cpu or should i also upgrade the video card only,
demon2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-06, 23:38   Link #2
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey, United States
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Your configuration is okay right now, but if you really need more power, a graphics card upgrade will be cheaper than a full on motherboard and CPU upgrade since some motherboards like the ones that support Intel's i7 platform requires DDR3 ram which in that case you would need new ram which is more expensive

The highest and current offering nVidia has is the Geforce 2xx series.
__________________
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 00:11   Link #3
jagass
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
It looks OK at this point...
__________________
Music is my LIFE!!!
jagass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 00:58   Link #4
demon2004
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
ok

because i was told that my cpu sucked, what video card would be better then what i have, also any udeas on budget cpu's and mb's in case i do upgrade
demon2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 06:23   Link #5
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Balanga City, Bataan, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to aeriolewinters
just replace your AM2 CPU with a newer Phenom X3 (AM2+)
__________________
Mercury Lampe
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 07:03   Link #6
demonix
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hayes, Middx UK
Age: 35
Send a message via Yahoo to demonix Send a message via Skype™ to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightlumina View Post
just replace your AM2 CPU with a newer Phenom X3 (AM2+)
That won't work if the OP's motherboard won't support those processors even with a BIOS update (even my Asus M2N-MX has no AM2+ support via BIOS updates)
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-07, 21:04   Link #7
aeriolewinters
Gin-Sama no Tameni!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Balanga City, Bataan, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to aeriolewinters
upgrade your CPU+Mobo, installing a higher video card will only cause a bottleneck... Plus... upgrading the CPU will probably squeeze more out of your Video card.
__________________
Mercury Lampe
aeriolewinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-11, 08:26   Link #8
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 30
What reason do you have for upgrading? Unless you do anything that really demands something faster than what you have its just a waste of money, and if you really want to upgrade go with a Core i7 system.

For about $570(USD) you can get a Ci7 920, MSI motherboard and 6GB DDR3, and you can reuse the rest of the hardware you have you have. Depending on your monitors resolution and what you actually do with the system upgrading the video card may be a waste of money for now. Power supply may be subject to upgrading too unless you have a 500 watt or better already.

Its my opinion to never buy into old hardware so i wouldn't spend money on anything that is not Core i 7, if you don't have the money save and get it, in the long run you'll have a better system that will last you longer.. not that your Athlon X2 isn't any good i still use an old Pentium D as my main computer since it still gets the job done.
Animeruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 13:01   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Unless you're planning on computing molecular level stellar structure simulations.... you're working towards hardware regions that maybe 1 or 2 games out there even approach needing with a massive uptick in cost/performance. The software is well behind the hardware at the moment (except for those 1 or 2 games where the differences are seriously questionable).

To answer your question, it depends on what motherboard you have now I suppose and its upgradeability. If you want DDR3 or i7 simply because its "latest and damn the cost", then yeah you need to upgrade everything. Many mobos will support both am2 and am2+ though, the step up cost for a mobo that supports ddr3 is significant.

Again, what is your motivation? Spending a $1000 on components because someone said your CPU sucked when it runs your games just fine is questionable. The most I'd consider is upgrading my cpu to the max the current mobo supports and maybemaybe considering a high-end GTX295 or close to it. Your 9800 is just about no difference performance-wise from the GTX250 series. No point in that (I'd recommend the GTX250 if you were moving up from an 8800 series or less perhaps).

You might also top-end your ddr2 memory by replacing it with a 4gb(2x2gb) ddr2 pc8500 1066MHz matched pair. That's as fast as ddr2 gets and as much RAM as a 64-bit Windows operating system will use anyway...

If you went the i7 route, here's the cheapest pricing I've found (local parts OEM supplier):
4GB(2x2GB) DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz Matched Pair Kingston HyperX $119
Core i7 920 2.66GHz 8M LGA1366 Retail $322
Intel BOXDX58SO Aud/GbLan/SATA/RAID/1394/Crossfire $289
(total $730)
eVGA GeForce GTX295 1792MB TV-Out/2DVI $549 or
eVGA GeForce GTX275 896MB TV-Out/2DVI $289

That's from the cheapest parts supplier in Portland, Oregon next to many fine Intel campuses. So I'd like to know where that $570 price estimate comes from
__________________

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-05-14 at 18:33. Reason: some minor clarifications
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 13:18   Link #10
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey, United States
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
It would be a little bit more helpful if you provided the specs of the motherboard so people would be able to find out if it can support a AM2+ processor or not. Most dual-core processors would still be able to play games fast enough and adequate for playing most recent games on medium quality. If it was a single core processor, it would probably struggle with most games at high quality, especially with newer graphics cards.

Also, 4GB of memory requires a 64-bit operating system since 32-bit versions of Windows can only address up to 3.5 GB of RAM due to architecture limitations (there are also other factors that can still effect your OS reading 3.5 GB instead 4GB depending on your chipset.)
__________________
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 19:03   Link #11
mechabao
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
You can use this as a handy guide: System Buyer's Guide PCs under $825
mechabao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-14, 23:50   Link #12
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
So I'd like to know where that $570 price estimate comes from
Up grading the GPU now instead of other components would be a waste .. the CPU that CPU(im talking about the Ci7 920 here) will last a long time because of its power and compared to any video card upgrades in the long run CPU MOBO RAM is the most efficient usage of funding for a long lasting powerful PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115202
Core i 7 (279.99) The best processor on the market for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130221
MSI Motherboard (184.99) Sort of budget board but I've been using MSI budget boards for 9 years i have no complaints.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227375
6GB of DDR3, 3x 2GB sticks (83.99) 6GB, minimum for system memory these days, ofcource you need a 64bit OS to get the best out of it.

Total: $549+Shipping (USD)


Lets not forget the CI7 is a new socket which means everything else will be in the process of phasing out .. cheap prices but they will vanish into the abyss of old hardware within a few years .. just try to find a new Pentium D or any of the 478 P4's or 939 AMD's.

Less than $600 now and only have to worry about upgrading a video card for 5+ years i think its worth more than buying into more old parts but then again some people like to throw their money away, I however am not such a person.


You can ignore builders guides, they assume for some reason you wan to buy a whole new system, You have a PC, you usually can reuse HDD's, optical drives, monitors and what have you.


EDIT: If you don't mind spending some money, My personal pick for motherboard on Ci7 systems is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130215
This is what is going in my Ci7 Build, you can ignore all comments except the ones about DOA(its a good way to see what the odds of getting a DOA board are) but the other issues are usually just morons who shouldn't be building PC's anyways.

Last edited by Animeruko; 2009-05-15 at 00:28.
Animeruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 02:35   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Hmmmm, thanks for the leads. And yeah, I tend to like MSI boards anyway (good solid). That MSI board has a nice configuration and the reviews seem upbeat.

I may be taking these prices into my local guys and suggesting they might rethink their pricing. Newegg USED to be fairly uncompetitive (rather like the old PC Connection - MSRP fun). I'm a bit pissed at the i7 price in particular. Serves me right for getting comfortable with my suppliers.

Of course, its newegg and mail order so YMMV considerably with customer service (especially RMAs and such).
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 03:19   Link #14
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
...personally, I'd look into whether his mainboard support a Phenom II chip before looking at getting a Core i7. But then again, I'm known among my friends for being incredibly cheap, so I'm the kind of guy who would look into possibly saving $300 on an upgrade.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 03:23   Link #15
mechabao
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeruko View Post
Up grading the GPU now instead of other components would be a waste .. the CPU that CPU(im talking about the Ci7 920 here) will last a long time because of its power and compared to any video card upgrades in the long run CPU MOBO RAM is the most efficient usage of funding for a long lasting powerful PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115202
Core i 7 (279.99) The best processor on the market for the price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130221
MSI Motherboard (184.99) Sort of budget board but I've been using MSI budget boards for 9 years i have no complaints.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227375
6GB of DDR3, 3x 2GB sticks (83.99) 6GB, minimum for system memory these days, ofcource you need a 64bit OS to get the best out of it.

Total: $549+Shipping (USD)


Lets not forget the CI7 is a new socket which means everything else will be in the process of phasing out .. cheap prices but they will vanish into the abyss of old hardware within a few years .. just try to find a new Pentium D or any of the 478 P4's or 939 AMD's.

Less than $600 now and only have to worry about upgrading a video card for 5+ years i think its worth more than buying into more old parts but then again some people like to throw their money away, I however am not such a person.


You can ignore builders guides, they assume for some reason you wan to buy a whole new system, You have a PC, you usually can reuse HDD's, optical drives, monitors and what have you.


EDIT: If you don't mind spending some money, My personal pick for motherboard on Ci7 systems is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130215
This is what is going in my Ci7 Build, you can ignore all comments except the ones about DOA(its a good way to see what the odds of getting a DOA board are) but the other issues are usually just morons who shouldn't be building PC's anyways.
@OP
If you're willing to spend the money, it's best to follow Animeruko's advice about the Core i7 combo. Otherwise, you should check your motherboard manufacturer's website and see if your motherboard can support a drop-in upgrade to one of the newer AMD chips. If it doesn't, you can use the guide I linked in my previous post as a starting point to check out some good, cheap motherboard and CPU combinations.
mechabao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 05:24   Link #16
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 38
@demon2004: sorry if I want to ask this, but are you still around?
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 13:03   Link #17
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 30
wow Vexx, If your local shop will match newegg's prices that is one amazing shop O_O. Newegg has been the cheapest place to buy parts since about 04 zipzoomfly also has decent pricing but i've stopped using them.


It's been like a week and OP hasn't said anything O_O... But even if OP isn't here i think the info in here is good for anyone who is in the market for upgrading their PC.

While it is valid to just upgrade cpu if board supports it .. i really don't see it as an efficient usage of funding, it would be better to save the rest of the money and get all new hardware so you don't have to upgrade for a long time. Remember with a Ci7 that CPU will probably live though 2-3 or even more GPU upgrades. Edit: (What if you buy new CPU and your board dies, but now there are no boards for your CPU and newer boards are not backwards compatible?)

For Example. . .
I run a Pentium D and the only major upgrade i bought was GPU, as horribly dated as my PD is its still powerful enough to get the job done in games(age of conan anyone?) and in my other hobbies like video encoding/editing. 4 Years and only now needing to upgrade, people said i was crazy buying into Dual cores and Pentium D and i look back now it was the best $600 i've ever spent on PC hardware.(befor then i ran Athlon XP systems)
Animeruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 13:11   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
His post history seems to indicate he may not check in very often...
The alternative is he really didn't care about solving his problem

I'm been using AMD cpus for home use for a few years now but I'll keep an eye on the i7 series.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 14:10   Link #19
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animeruko View Post
While it is valid to just upgrade cpu if board supports it .. i really don't see it as an efficient usage of funding, it would be better to save the rest of the money and get all new hardware so you don't have to upgrade for a long time. Remember with a Ci7 that CPU will probably live though 2-3 or even more GPU upgrades. Edit: (What if you buy new CPU and your board dies, but now there are no boards for your CPU and newer boards are not backwards compatible?)

For Example. . .
I run a Pentium D and the only major upgrade i bought was GPU, as horribly dated as my PD is its still powerful enough to get the job done in games(age of conan anyone?) and in my other hobbies like video encoding/editing. 4 Years and only now needing to upgrade, people said i was crazy buying into Dual cores and Pentium D and i look back now it was the best $600 i've ever spent on PC hardware.(befor then i ran Athlon XP systems)
Judging by his specs, I'm guessing his mainboard is currently about three years old. If he gets another two years out of it by using a Phenom II 940 ($190 USD), that's $95 per year. It drops to just $60 a year if he gets another three out of it.

For comparison, that $550 Core i7 920 config priced out over five years works out to $110 per year in service - and as great as the i7 is, I have more confidence in the Phenom II still being relevant three years from now than the i7 920 still being relevant in five.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 15:33   Link #20
Animeruko
BECAUSE its moe moe!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Judging by his specs, I'm guessing his mainboard is currently about three years old. If he gets another two years out of it by using a Phenom II 940 ($190 USD), that's $95 per year. It drops to just $60 a year if he gets another three out of it.

For comparison, that $550 Core i7 920 config priced out over five years works out to $110 per year in service - and as great as the i7 is, I have more confidence in the Phenom II still being relevant three years from now than the i7 920 still being relevant in five.
Whole new system over 5 years $110/ year.

How about we look at this in just comparing processors Cost-per-year.
Phenom 2($190): 2 years = $95/year, 5 Years = $38/year.
Ci7 920($280): 2 years = $140/year, 5 Years = $56/year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Phenom II-MOBO/CPU/RAM($440): 2 Years = 220/year, 5 Years = $88/Year.
Core i 7-MOBO/CPU/RAM($550): 2 Years = $275/Year, 5 Years = $110/Year.


I don't know about you, But to me $110/year for 5 years just made a total Ci7 rebuild an even better idea.

btw, if his mobo is 3 years old there is a good chance that not even a Phenom 1 would work in it.
Animeruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.