AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Eden of the East

Notices

View Poll Results: Eden of the East - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 28 34.15%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 30.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 19.51%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 9.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 4.88%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.22%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-08, 16:48   Link #41
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
O.o

Am I the only one who doesn't particularly like Saki much?
Here's a girl who in just 5 days (in their real time) has stayed out all night with a stranger, lied to her sister, asked her friends to lie on her behalf, has a thing for her bro-in-law and strings one of her mates along for ages.
There's nothing about her that appeals to me (yet), she's too passive for most part, although I will give her kudos for asking Akira out for tea, since that takes guts, lol.
To simply say 'she's sweet and cute', just earns a scoff from me, I'm afraid.
You're not alone on that.
She's neutral for me but I hope she doesn't suffer too much from the passive-syndrome that so many heroines in shoujo do. It becomes quite annoying but I'm guessing that's all gonna change soon once we go further on....hopefully

Saki may be bold at parts but I don't understand why she doesn't just tell Oosugi straight up? Yeah I can understand the "he's too nice to hurt" part but that's just made the sitution worse. Maybe she didn't want Oosugi to be hurt like her for the fear of rejection as she did with Ryousuke so she played along? Or maybe like mentioned, she enjoys the attention from someone else alittle bit even though she doesn't like him back. Either way, love sucks :[

It's still cruel but I guess Oosugi just has to cope with it.

Spoiler for episode 5:
Old 2009-05-08, 17:04   Link #42
Edgewalker
Nani ?

The way this is going and the low episode count is starting to make me fear that this may become another Rideback, with the series feeling rushed and jumpy at the end due to not enough time for major in-between development.
Old 2009-05-08, 21:50   Link #43
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
The way this is going and the low episode count is starting to make me fear that this may become another Rideback, with the series feeling rushed and jumpy at the end due to not enough time for major in-between development.
It's possible, but they seem to be moving things alone at a pretty good clip so far, so I'm not worrying yet. I'm more worried that they will end the anime at an unsatisfactorily incomplete point, in order to save the big ending for the movie, which doesn't come out until the fall.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha
Old 2009-05-08, 22:17   Link #44
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Still waiting for subs.
Old 2009-05-08, 22:48   Link #45
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The idea that she never went to look in the projection booth bothered me, too, Mystique, but is probably wrong. She probably went up and looked through the window and didn't see him. She could then have gone to the apartment and not found him there, either. She had no reason to suspect foul play. More reason to suspect he had just run off again. Anyway, it's not for sure that she didn't check on him.
But that only potentially proves that she was avoiding disappointment. She didn't want it confimed that her "Prince" was dumping her. So rather than confirm that he wasn't interested in her, she didn't do a thorough check and left preserving her "Prince" fantasy. Only to email him hoping that he would answer her later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
In Washington, she was determined to throw her coin even after the police had talked to her. She is not a fraidy-cat, really. She went off to Washington on her own. She went into that run-down apartment building on her own. She agreed to go back to Japan with the Naked Prince, etc.
This proves that she is an awful judge of what is considered a safe thing to do. Idiot and naive is what I'd call her just like Hachi.

It doesn't take a brave person to travel from NY to Washington DC on her own. It's only 204 miles. It could easily be arranged by the travel agency that booked her trip.

Not obeying a police order near the capitol is just plain insane. Especially tossing an object onto the White House lawn.

Going to a run down area of Washington DC to retrieve your coat shows how naive and much of an idiot she really was. No one in their right minds would have given their coat , scarf and hat to a naked man waving a gun unless under duress. No one would have entered into a friendly conversation with that person either. Fall in love with said person on sight or for that matter accompany said person to his apartment in Tokyo are things that impulsive, naive people do. (like Hachi)

So she managed to graduate from college. Saki still isn't doing anything with her degree like Hachi didn't have any incentive to better herself. Saki is a NEET.

@BunnyCupCakes: Bobbit case

Last edited by orion; 2009-05-08 at 23:06.
Old 2009-05-08, 22:59   Link #46
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Still waiting for subs.
Subs are out by gg.
Old 2009-05-08, 23:50   Link #47
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
...Saki is a NEET....
She is now that that interview flopped, lol. Before that, she was a provisionally accepted employee who had just finished four years of college.

You classify all the daring things she does as stupid. We can agree to disagree about that, but even if they are stupid, they mean she is not a mouse. It's only by doing those weird things that she gives us a story. Going from Japan to NYC with her classmates was normal (if a bit irresponsible because she skipped an interview). Leaving her classmates and going off on her own in an alien country was bold. At least in her cultural context.

But as you say, she is definitely a Hachi variant -- as far as we know so far. Hachi was a great character, too. I'm not looking for someone to base my life on, but for a character to enjoy by identifying with.

I enjoy her. Others are free not to, and I can understand why they don't. She's hardly either a feminist ideal or a shounen heroine. She's a confused young woman who has lost her parents and is living in an emotionally untenable situation, has no attractive job on tap, and doesn't know what to do with her life. Until episode 6, perhaps.
Spoiler for something Japanese sources say Saki accomplished in college:
Her interaction with naked Akira was pretty much a fantasy -- her giving her clothes was the most unrealistic part of the show so far, for me -- but maybe we can say that his personal charm overcame his nakedness -- which she enjoyed peeking through her fingers at, anyway.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha
Old 2009-05-09, 00:46   Link #48
Cal-Reflector

I started watching this show because I spotted a Morita-lookalike and a Ayu-lookalike (from Hachikuro) in main character capacity and I thought: "Damn, maybe Umino Chika is going to do it right this time and have them get together!" Wasn't disappointed.

Really interesting show so far. Maybe the most original concept since Speedgrapher (What a trainwreck). Production quality is top notch. Seeing Umino's art, which leans towards the pretty and fluffy in this new light is also very interesting. Can you just imagine the producers going up to her with their roster of characters?

Producer: So for starters we'd like you to draw up the hero. He should be Whimsical, confident, carefree, charismatic, sensitive, somewhat eccentric...

Umino: Sure thing. I have him right here *Pulls out drawings of Morita Shinobu*

Producer: The heroine: She should be... normal. Kind, worried about her future as she transitions from student to independent member of society. She should be seen as clinging to certain romantic notions which she feels she must surrender as she becomes an adult. Can you do that?

Umino: Easy. *Pulls out drawings of Yamada Ayumi* Dude, this is too easy.

Producer: Then we want you design a rich, sexy lady who enjoys handcuffing and cutting off men's dicks and then leaves their bodies to be eaten by birds.

Umino: ...............
Old 2009-05-09, 01:05   Link #49
hamstar
just passing by

lmao @ the saki ownage by orion.
Old 2009-05-09, 03:56   Link #50
kamikazex

well it's nice to know that he didnt kill all the neets
Old 2009-05-09, 04:10   Link #51
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Um, there's no freaking way you can compare Saki to Hachi.
You totally underestimate how recklessly stupid Hachi is.
We haven't even seen enough of Saki for her to be deserving of getting compared to likes of Hachi.

Or are you gonna point fingers at every female leads that makes some dumb decisions and go "lol Hachi clone"?
It's like those 2ch people who keeps yapping Yashigani Yashigani at the slightest of animation degration, not realizing just how terrible it has to be to be worthy of being compared to Yashigani.

If this goes on the whole season, with Saki making terrible decisions and sleeping with multiple men, THEN I'll accept that comparison.
Until then, I think you're just forcing archetype to a character that happens to be in your library.
Old 2009-05-09, 04:46   Link #52
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

To be perfectly blunt I didn't particularly enjoyed that episode. I consider it the weakest so far.
Spoiler for ep5 a bit of a "rant", please ignore that if you are a fanboy/fangirl:

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-05-09 at 06:57.
Old 2009-05-09, 04:49   Link #53
Field of Lilies

Though I'm enjoying the Saki debate, I'm not getting involved and instead point out some other plot-related things I noticed this episode:

1) The higher ups know about Selecao. As they refer to them as n organization, they probably don't have the whole picture, but I do wonder about their source. Is Juiz leaving traces after all? Or is one of the Selecao deliberately leaking info?

2) The NEET guessed that Akira has had his memory wiped. I guess that means that, though very expensive, the existence of such technology is known by the general public.

3) Akira once again mentioned Johnny. I really want to know to which movie character he is referring, as he's comparing himself with the character here.
Old 2009-05-09, 04:53   Link #54
slayer545-sama
Banned

Lightbulb Rewatch with subs.

Usually I watch anime many times to make it more notes on my research. This series I have learned a few things I can correlate now. Japan has problems with NEETS because much of society rejects of who they are before becoming one such is the case with jobs. The case of the crazy shooter in Dawson college within Canada, Montreal known as Kimveer Gill is the perfect example. Let me explain:
He lost his job because they layed him off (Morimi gets rejected because she did do as she was told) then proceeded to find another without success. Gill refused welfare (Saki refuses to be taken care by Ryosuke and her sister). In the end Gill kills a whole bunch of people due to media influence (Saki refuses to go home and who knows what is to follow). My point is society here is at fault.

I am also thinking that Akira tried to help the NEETS but realized it would cost too much. Also be all aware the missile were fired from a cruiser which means military and can also mean Juriz being ordered to do so.

So I think one though (Akira) saving the NEETS would help Japan and the other (at this point I will go with Mr. Red Ring) though to provoke Japan would make them into war so to save them from their doom. In any case correlating this with reality Japan is slumping into deep economic holes like other countries are as well. The point being this series is about saving Japan.

I think this anime is giving out a message. Those who can read deep into will know and that follow the Japanese news at the same time. I am going to start to get serious on some issues here in this forum because I do have personal interests that I want people to respond to things like this as to see reactions as well as opinions.

Should Akira try to stop the missiles it would mean he realized that stopping further attacks such as these would save Japan as well. Question is one who does this; how will he realize it and stop #9. This could be clash between #1 and #9 with Saki/Kuroha as meddlers. Others that join up might be on one side or other. This being said this episode got me curious into further thinking than just likes and not likes.

I also do think the scenery is getting better but is it only to show us that this world is worth saving when really pollution in reality as done irreversible damage. Of course no one will tell you but all are smart enough to figure that one out by reading and logic.
Old 2009-05-09, 05:41   Link #55
BetoJR
D-d-don't look!!!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer545-sama View Post
My point is society here is at fault.
Really? A crazy, self-righteous bastard kills a bunch of people, someone claims it to be due to the media's influence, and then it becomes society's fault? I mean, really?

People should always be held responsible and accountable for their own actions. Passing the blame around always leads to disgrace.

Old 2009-05-09, 06:49   Link #56
Schneizel
fanatical racism moe
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field of Lilies View Post
3) Akira once again mentioned Johnny. I really want to know to which movie character he is referring, as he's comparing himself with the character here.
I think Johnny is somehow the name he has for the NEETs. When he falls off the bridge and you see all of the skeletons that he calls Johnnies, he also calls them a bunch of good for nothings.
Old 2009-05-09, 06:49   Link #57
slayer545-sama
Banned

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Really? A crazy, self-righteous bastard kills a bunch of people, someone claims it to be due to the media's influence, and then it becomes society's fault? I mean, really?

People should always be held responsible and accountable for their own actions. Passing the blame around always leads to disgrace.
Agreed but think of it the other way around. If people would be more acceptful of Gill such as giving him that job. He would not have resorted to self isolation which lead him ultimately to madness and in the end that madness was to kill himself and others along with him.

Think of Saki and how her involvement with Akira might not have been so if she got the job. She might have been in a restaurant with Ohsugi celebrating her success. It is at the very a least a possibility. I have seen and still am seeing many victims of what is called unfair. At the very least some that become like Gill may have not been should that unfair have been fair.
Old 2009-05-09, 07:01   Link #58
tbl
Affably Evil

Why doesn't Akira just ask Juiz for his memories back?
Destroy. Destroy. Destroy. Slowly, completely, gently beyond comparison, cruelly to the point of numbness, I'll violate your life. That's right. The instant I rip off your limbs, tear open your rib and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you scream in agony, chewing through your eyes as I ignore your pleas for mercy and spreading your brains on the ground like butter! I am sane, well more or less

Old 2009-05-09, 07:10   Link #59
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

That's actually a good question. If she is able to command ravens like we are led to believe, I'm sure she could possibly do something to help Akira regain his memories.
My guess is he doesn't know yet why is his memories are erased, and he might think, he possibly did it on his own initative. If that's true, there must be a (serious) reason which caused him to erase it himself, and he'd like to find out that reason, without actually restoring his full memory.
I believe sometimes in the future he might try and ask Juiz to do something about that, and we can see her reaction.
Old 2009-05-09, 08:00   Link #60
Somnus
Kissing the sky

I love this show, I really do.

It seems the discussion has already gone through the ep in terms of the romance department, so there's no reason for me to re-state most of it. I'll just leave it at the fact that I'm a huge fan of Akira x Saki.

Now onto what I surprisingly enjoyed more. Firstly, more Selecao are introduced...that in itself is exciting I think. More importantly though, even with the few lines they say you get to understand some things. What I love about this show is the difference in opinions, and viewpoints. It seems each Selecao is taking their own unique approach to this game based upon their individual characteristics. However, there isn't that feeling of "extreme" personalities (well, for the most part...dunno about Miss Model there), but one with a sense of realistic and logical thoughts based off of each one's personality "quirks".

I really enjoyed how they also let Akira answer his own question throughout the episode. You know, the whole "Why give 10 billion to me and not someone important?". After hearing about Saki and her day, he realized those people probably won't bother trying. That's it for now, and I'm definitely looking forward to the next episode as always.
Closed Thread