AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 55 36.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 43 28.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 19.46%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 12.08%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.34%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.34%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-08, 09:58   Link #61
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
It actually was a better episode than expected and once again they kept playing with Mio's weakness like the evil, sadistic people that they are
The song itself was just fine and there were plenty of predictable but nonetheless funny scenes (hurray).

Yui's voice annoyed me though...but kudos for keeping it up so long since it must have killed the seiyuu's voice more than her normal squeak~

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2009-05-08, 10:35   Link #62
Child_of_Sierra

Highpoints of the episode for me:

They were consistent in how bad Yui's voice was. Even during the concert.
The sumo gags: really showed how similar Yui and Ritsu are.
Fanservice: rice-bowl analogy was a good way to tease the audience but I really lol'd at that camera shot from the crowd.

MTV: felt like a good alternative instead of showing a concert similar to Haruhi's (which I feel would be best done at the obligatory concert towards the series end). It had great moments - Mio singing in the car with the gang, Yui almost making a vulgar sign with her hand - but the storyboarding/scene transition was not to my liking. Yui's voice added to the amateur status they were trying to convey but the video accompanyment felt half-baked as well. I guess this counts as my main gripe for the episode seeing that an MTV sequence is rarely portrayed and this one was not done well enough imo.

PS: 4 girls performing in a concert but suddenly being shown in an MTV sequence reminds me so much of the cartoon series: Jem and the Holograms.
Old 2009-05-08, 10:46   Link #63
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Episode 6 article is up:

[RIUVA] K-ON!, Episode 6

It's no SHnY12, but the Swinging '60s MTV is a great touch in and of itself. 9/10.
Old 2009-05-08, 11:20   Link #64
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
by the power of photoshop or whatever image editing device did this. Mio panties!!!

Great image man.
Old 2009-05-08, 11:36   Link #65
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Rice bowl!

Loved the concert and music video. The music video was amaturish which is expected from this being their first performance. Yui's hoarseness even in the performance was perfect.

I agree. the MV was a nod to "Driver's High".

Now who would really want to buy a $20 lead pencil?
Old 2009-05-08, 11:44   Link #66
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

The PV in the episode reminded me of The Go-Go's "Our Lips Are Sealed" video with the pink convertible. Although the K-On! girls are riding in a Cadillac Eldorado (more specifically, a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz) instead of what looks like a 1960 Buick Invicta in the Go-Go's video.

Other than that, I agree with the Thelma and Louise sentiments. Plus a bit of Blues Brothers.
Old 2009-05-08, 12:46   Link #67
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Nice observation there, Willen. I too was thinking of Thelma and Louise when I saw the MV. (Edit: After reading the earlier post, I can now see the L'arc-en-Ciel inspiration for their MV as well. I only knew Driver's High via GTO, though I've never seen the MV until now. )

To be honest, the song isn't as good as the OP and ED, but I guess this is more realistic for a high school band that just started out. Let us hope they get better over time.

The highlight is surly the much anticipated song/MV and Mio's panties (which is IN the manga).

Ideally, I would have preferred Mio's panties being shown, but that's just me.

I think the rice-bowl/panties metaphor was Kyo-Ani's way of compromising source material fanservice with their adopted policy of no pantyshots or anything else ecchi since Haruhi. (LOL at the unseen perv quickly taking a photo as soon as Mio flashed her panties. )

Poor Mio-chan, her fanclub was probably created because she flashed her panties.

I'm sure everyone else who likes her have probably already mentioned how moe she is already, so there's no point in me parroting them just to show that I agree. Besides the obligatory , perhaps. So:

Not seen FMP:TSR, but that's about the only other show Kyo-Ani has ever done (besides Haruhi) that has subtle panty shots.

Here's all I can recall concerning Kyo-Ani and "ecchi fanservice"

Spoiler for List of Kyo-Ani "ecchi":

OTOH, I wonder if her panties are instead conveniently censored out by the borders of the 4:3 version rather than any deliberate censoring, which means I'm very looking forward to the 16:9 version three weeks from now.

Interestingly, the credits label the lyrics of Fuwa Fuwa Time to Mio as expected, but it also credits Mugi for composing the song. Maybe Mugi will become the other creative brain behind the band besides Mio? Not to mention her incredible hidden strength, judging from the ease she carried all those bulky musical equipments.

Yui's seiyuu, Toyosaki Aki, must be applauded for imitating a very funny hoarse voice for Yui. I LMAO'ed when she did her sumo wrestler voice.

Sawako is a cosplay freak, no doubt about it. (BTW, at first I thought it was a subbing error by CoalGuys, but upon replaying, Ritsu has indeed called her "Kawa-chan" instead of "Sawa-chan". I wonder why. )

It was fun while it lasted.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2009-05-08 at 13:00.
Old 2009-05-08, 13:14   Link #68
DidCart

LOL parts of the episode:

- Every time Yui talked I laughed.
- Mio in the Haunted House.
- Mio nervous when Sawako showed the costumes.
- Ritsu introducing the band members!
- "All your sweets are belong to me"
- The unexpected Music Video (although it sucks)!
- Mio rice bowl pantsu!
- Mio in "no one will marry me" mode at the end of the episode!

Good episode! 9/10!
I hope a better music next time.
Old 2009-05-08, 13:15   Link #69
Jimmy C

Mio did base the lyrics on Mugi's SMS in ep5.
Old 2009-05-08, 13:18   Link #70
Karlson
Jumping...is useless!

A good episode overall. It was gonna be hard to top the last one for me so I wasnt expecting as much out of this one.

"All your sweets are belong to me"

While I still laugh every now and then how badly the Zero Wing intro butchered the english language I still hate that (All your base are belong to us) line...so much. Its been used way too many times over the years the novelty has worn off. I gotta wonder if that really was what Ritsu said or if Coalguys did that on purpose

The concert itself I wasnt actually expecting much out of it honestly. That being said, it was ok. Not bad by any means. I was not expecting an MTV video and they were probably better off without its inclusion. Would've also been better if Yui hadnt done any singing either (cracked voice and all), but knowing Yui she decided to do it to lessen the burden on Mio's shoulders so I'll excuse it just this once.

Speaking of Yui's cracked voice, props to the seiyuu on maintaining it through the whole episode.

Oh yeah. The song...I thought it was nothing to write home about, but its what you expect from people performing for the first time in front of a live audience. And given how little time they had to practice it I think it came out pretty good

Last edited by Karlson; 2009-05-08 at 20:53. Reason: Wicked headache made me forget to write my thoughts on the song
Old 2009-05-08, 13:20   Link #71
Karnot
Banned

Quote:
- Mio in "no one will marry me" mode at the end of the episode!
Technically its supposed to fit in christmas episode, i wonder if they'll repeat this line next time.

Yeah, just keeping on loving those puffy adolescent thighs. Yay !
Old 2009-05-08, 13:33   Link #72
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Why do I get the feeling that blue and white striped rice bowls are going to sell like hot cakes now?

It was fun while it lasted.
Old 2009-05-08, 13:43   Link #73
ThoHell

So it seems like they actually animated the performance. Can't wait to watch this episode since the manga didn't really justify the performance....
Oh no, my signature was 550 pixles wide and 474 KB. That's too big and it has been deleted by a forum mod, guess I didn't read the Forum Rules. If only I had paid attention I wouldn't have to deal with this irritation now.
Old 2009-05-08, 14:04   Link #74
DJLowrider
Ahou ga

Why are so many people disappointed in the music video? Was anyone honestly expecting something along the lines of Live a Live? And exactly what would be so enthralling about watching a fledgling rock band comprised of four high school freshmen performing in their first concert at a school festival?
Old 2009-05-08, 14:04   Link #75
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Pretty good episode all around...I understand why they made the song sound the way they did, but doesn't completely take away the underwhelming feeling you get from hearing it...I blame the OP/ED mostly for that.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Old 2009-05-08, 14:07   Link #76
Midonin
Last Engage

It'll be better on the single, since I doubt they'd have Yui singing in her hoarse voice for a full 3~5 minutes.
Old 2009-05-08, 14:21   Link #77
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Driver's high, too bad yui's voice is bad, love this ep btw
Old 2009-05-08, 14:40   Link #78
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
So Kyoani replaced the instrument play scene with the short MTV...I dont know I should call it creative or plain lazy ..LOL

Yui's voice = awesome...

Remind me of Fuko from Clannad.
This is the secret behind the endings subliminal message of "Don't say Lazy".

Kidding of course, but I do have to wonder about one thing. If the most talked about event of an episode is a disguised panty shot, where does that leave us with regard to this shows merits at the halfway point?
Old 2009-05-08, 14:42   Link #79
ReddyRedWolf

Anybody else noticing the pattern of Yui almost bumping into a guy?
Old 2009-05-08, 14:52   Link #80
germanturkey
Smiling Monster

no one will marry her now? lies.
Closed Thread