AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Kimi ga Nozomu Eien

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-14, 03:20   Link #21
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Yup! Shinji RULES!

Quote:
and it was her decision (not Takayuki) for them to "break up" for lack of better words and in the end i think it worked out just fine...both Takayuki and Mitsuki were happy...
that's why the ending sucks, because Takayuki was happy, and he doesn't deserve to be happy. It's like playing Final Fantasy 6 to the end and you find out Kefka lives on happily ever after. Takayuki got to be one of my most hated antagonists in animes ever, up there with Maestro Delphine from Last Exile... but at least Delphine got what she deserved at the end...
Old 2004-04-14, 03:30   Link #22
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

Hmm ... this "Haruka rejecting him" part is what I can't fully agree with. She didn't reject him, she didn't really want to - look at her clinging to him and kissing him on the beach. However, this is what made her understand that the Takayuki of now was different - and had chosen differently. What she did was release him.

It's also pretty obvious that Takayuki had made up his mind BEFORE coming to see Haruka, so it was no spur-of-the-moment decision influenced by Haruka herself. No, this is probably one of the very few times when Takayuki had made a real decision by himself, and he also gave the only credible reason I could fathom to explain his pick. However, Haruka showed some real strength in being honest to her own feelings and giving Takayuki the "gift of goodbye" in the wonderful story analogy. Which was probably the strongest sequence in the entire anime together with the (mutilated) Hontou no takaramono book written by Haruka in the epilogue.

This anime had one thing for sure: Impact.
Old 2004-04-14, 04:20   Link #23
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I don't think Takayuki made up his mind to break up with Haruka before coming to see her. At least when he's with Haruka, he showed no sign of trying to break up with her, and in the end what he tried to say was to stay with Haruka before Haruka kicked him away...
Old 2004-04-14, 07:35   Link #24
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!

Maybe you've watched a different episode than me?

He came to Haruka, straight-faced. "We need to talk" without a trace of a smile - those with experience in relationships know that the issue for this talk won't be a pleasant one. On the beach, Haruka is kissing Takayuki fiercely, and he doesn't react at all. Instead, he eventually explains that he loves Mitsuki and that he wants to dedicate the rest of his life to heal her wounds in return.

In the entire episode he never even hinted about staying with Haruka. Just rewatch it, dreamless. He came to say goodbye, and that's what he did.
Old 2004-04-14, 11:24   Link #25
Arwyn

I just finished this series, and overall I have to say it is one of the better ones I have seen. Did it piss me off? Yep, you bet. But that is one of the strengths of the series in my opinion.

Kimi doesnt pull any punches, and the characters themselves are all more beliveable because they are all realistically flawed. Takayuki is trying to do the right thing and be a nice guy, but suffers from huge guilt, and at the same time is scared of committing to anything after being emotionally gutted. You still want to kick his butt, but in context, his demonstrated emotional character and psychological state do match his actions pretty well.

Ditto with Mitsuki. The girl has the worst case of guilt in the world, and as indicated by the ring she wears throughout, she drags it around with her constantly. Mitsuki is torn between the guilt for what happens to Haruka, her desire for Takayuki, and her stuggle to constantly conceal how she really feels.

Haruka comes off as the most sympathetic character due to her circumstances. She is the most honest with her feelings throughout, and that makes it hard to see her suffer.

But throughout Kimi, the whole focus of the conflict in the series is the failure of the principal characters to be honest with themselves and each other. They all are stuck in a holding pattern for those three years, and dont truly live life, instead they are stuck in a holding pattern.

The characters dont start moving forward in their lives until they finally come to grips with themselves and start being honest about how they feel.

<<He came to Haruka, straight-faced. "We need to talk" without a trace of a smile - those with experience in relationships know that the issue for this talk won't be a pleasant one. On the beach, Haruka is kissing Takayuki fiercely, and he doesn't react at all. Instead, he eventually explains that he loves Mitsuki and that he wants to dedicate the rest of his life to heal her wounds in return.>>

Exactly. Haruka has been consistantly honest about how she feels throughout the series, and continues till the very end. Then when she realizes that Takayuki isnt the boy she fell for originally, she cuts him loose witha goodbye. But Takayuki was coming to end it with her regardless.

If you look at the whole story arc, if the Takayuki and Mitsuki had been honest about how they felt at the very beginning of the series, NONE of this would have happened.

Takayuki was inerested in Mitsuki from the beginning, and she was interested in him. Instead of being honest about it, they both hid their feelings and Mitsuki went on to fix Takayuki and Haruka up as their "friend". Afterwards, she was jealous and kept getting involved, hence the whole birthday present/accident arc.

It is a strong series, and has a great deal of emotional impact because despite how screwed up the characters are, it does a really good job of reflect how screwed up people are in real life.

Last edited by Arwyn; 2004-04-14 at 13:02.
Old 2004-04-14, 13:42   Link #26
kujoe
from head to heel

Mentar & Arwyn: I agree with the both of you. Takayuki's intention in wanting to speak to Haruka is something that one has to read between the lines. With the kind of atmosphere that scene exuded, it's not entirely out of context that Takayuki was planning to say goodbye to her in the first place. Then again, you can also argue for the opposite, but seriously--just look at his expression. Is that the face of a man who wants his past lover back?
Old 2004-04-14, 14:10   Link #27
Bono

Send a message via ICQ to Bono Send a message via MSN to Bono
Pissed off

Well well, I've download the entire serie tonight, watched it all tonight, it's 4 am, I have to work at 8 am, and I had to post it... sorry, but I have to say, what the f*ck!
What a d*ckhead this guy is (everyone knows who, and why I am saying that)... bastard, he should have died in the end, a very painfull death...

Ahhhhh... well, I am feeling better, now I can sleep! Sorry pals
Old 2004-04-16, 02:23   Link #28
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar

He came to Haruka, straight-faced. "We need to talk" without a trace of a smile - those with experience in relationships know that the issue for this talk won't be a pleasant one. On the beach, Haruka is kissing Takayuki fiercely, and he doesn't react at all. Instead, he eventually explains that he loves Mitsuki and that he wants to dedicate the rest of his life to heal her wounds in return.

In the entire episode he never even hinted about staying with Haruka. He came to say goodbye, and that's what he did.
Mentar, up to a point I agree with you. Takayuki came to Haruka with a purpose. And yes, Haruka tried to kiss him and he explains where he is. But I don't think he was necessarily there to say goodbye. I don't believe that the Takayuki character really changed that much. Much like his previous self, he merely came to see what would come and passively take what may come. He himself couldn't do it. But Haruka could, and that was her gift to him. In a sense, he was there hoping that she would make the decision for him. Like an earlier post, he was basically being set free. That episode, he also reacts with surprise when Haruka asks him, "Shall we part?"

I suppose in a sense, then Mentar, you're right. Takayuki came to somehow resolve the situation. But he, himself, was not strong enough a character to make the decision himself. I think that the real character change finally comes to him when he goes to find Mitsuki. Other than when he tries to carry the limp Haruka out of the hospital (and that's only b/c he was mad) that's the only time he takes the initiative. Haruka basically let Takayuki go to Mitsuki. She's the one who finally saves him. That's her gift.

Just a thought.
Closed Thread