AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-12, 05:25   Link #101
James2705

^^^^ thats cool haha alot of people im sure name there instrument :/

Hmm k-on sure makes me want to play guitar more, ive picked up my dads guitar and learned but never got to playing a song because the neck is to wide for me (im 13) so yea im gonna get my own but probs not for a while since i chose to get a new pc for my birthday and not a guitar.
Old 2010-04-13, 00:30   Link #102
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

.... Well, if anything, K-On! made me want a Fender Mustang again for a bit. Being around the same size as Azunyan is awesome, except twin tails in the real world are not quite as awesome.

And then I went with my Godin Freeway because it's around 500$ cheaper. Hahah. <__<;
Quote:
Originally Posted by James2705 View Post
Hmm k-on sure makes me want to play guitar more, ive picked up my dads guitar and learned but never got to playing a song because the neck is to wide for me (im 13)
You must have pretty small hands. Unless you're talking about the contour of the neck 'cause I haven't poked a guitar that's made me argh at the neck profile.

If you mean width as in nut width, I can [barely] barre an F major on my classical guitar with its crazy nut width of 2" at the top.

Oh hey, you can see my amazon.co.jp box in that picture. And a cat box head thing.

少し頭冷やそうか?
Old 2010-04-13, 02:05   Link #103
OZ7UP
Reckless Rock'N'Roll
*Author

Hmmm... While I'm more of a melodic metalhead, I really do enjoy listening to the songs featured in K-On! - IMO, it's a good combination between the vocal melodies and the instrumental melodies that does it for me. If I ever do get tired of metal, I'd find myself playing similar stuff to the likes of "Fude Pen Boru Pen" and "Don't Say Lazy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonito View Post
Well.... I wanted to start electric guitar and drums for a very long time.. This series encouraged me to start playing guitar, though I only have an accoustic one (not mine really, got one loaned from a friend XD), I use this to practise so when I get MY electric guitar (and it will be my first one ^^) I at least know how to play it a little.... Sadly, I feel a little old for a starter, I mean, I wish I had started before (and I say this because I wanted to play since a very long time ago).... but well.... I'm 19 right now :P... and yestarday I had my first guitar lesson from a friend at work.
Going back to the topic, YES, you could say than K-ON encouraged me a lot because I think that if i hadn't seen K-ON i may ahve not started at all with the guitar (and I may start drums too now ^^)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwards View Post
I know how you feel. I'm 25, and I just got my first electric guitar a few weeks ago. Like you, I've wanted to learn for years, but never thought I'd be capable. I'm really glad I've finally picked it up, though. All I can play is "Happy Birthday" at the minute, but it's satisfying all the same.

As for the topic, while K-ON! isn't the main reason I finally took the plunge (that dubious honour would go to Canadian musician Devin Townsend), I can't deny that I get a kick out of seeing them play their instruments (it's a shame there isn't more of a focus on it), and watching an episode just makes me want to go and practice even more. I got chills watching Yui practice "Watashi no Koi wa Hotchkiss" in the first episode of the new series, even if KyoAni did skimp on the hand animations again.

I'm definitely going to try playing some of their songs, when I get to that level. I especially love the opening riff in "Fude Pen ~Ball Pen~".

EDIT: Oh, and I completely forgot to mention, I've named my new guitar "Aki-chan", after Yui's voice actress. It's also a pun on "autumn", since she's sunburst-coloured. I was going to name her "Debi", after Devin Townsend, but it just didn't fit. And yeah, I know I'm lame for anthropomorphising a musical instrument, but that's just how I roll.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I only started playing the guitar just shortly after I turned 16, and even so, my younger brother had to teach me the basics. Don't get too caught up with the whole 'age' issue - I'm not a fan of the Arctic Monkeys, but if they could learn how to play their instruments at the age they were at before releasing their first album, there's hope for everyone.

IMO, one of the easiest rock songs to learn to play on the guitar would be "Breaking The Law" by Judas Priest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoropa View Post
I did grab a guitar just to see if the whole discussion on how if your fingers aren't used to guitar strings, they may get cut was true.

It was.
Maybe it's just me, but I didn't get that problem. Of course, I might need to experiment around with the string gauges...

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2705 View Post
^^^^ thats cool haha alot of people im sure name there instrument :/
In that case, I'll name my Washburn WV16 "Vicious Victoria", what with the EMG pickups I've installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD View Post
.... Well, if anything, K-On! made me want a Fender Mustang again for a bit. Being around the same size as Azunyan is awesome, except twin tails in the real world are not quite as awesome.

And then I went with my Godin Freeway because it's around 500$ cheaper. Hahah. <__<;You must have pretty small hands. Unless you're talking about the contour of the neck 'cause I haven't poked a guitar that's made me argh at the neck profile.
As a 21-year-old male, I'll admit that my own hands are slightly smaller than average. I don't really have much problems playing the guitar, but my small hands do give me trouble whenever I attempt to play something complicated on the bass - I might need to get a Fender/Squire Mustang bass in the near future.

Godin makes brilliant instruments - I've got a Godin BG5 5-string bass. Is your Godin Freeway the Classic model or the SA model?

Lusting after, and highly likely to have a chance with if they were real: Alexandra Garcia (Kuroko no Basket), MAGES. (Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory), Mayumi Kisaki (The Devil is a Part-Timer!), Kirishima (Arpeggio of Blue Steel), Yukari Miyako (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun), Salama (Amagi Brilliant Park), and Kongou (Kantai Collection).
Old 2010-04-13, 02:58   Link #104
Bananoha
♨(ゝω・)v

Harem Enforcer, eh. (・ε・)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ7UP View Post
As a 21-year-old male, I'll admit that my own hands are slightly smaller than average. I don't really have much problems playing the guitar, but my small hands do give me trouble whenever I attempt to play something complicated on the bass - I might need to get a Fender/Squire Mustang bass in the near future.

Godin makes brilliant instruments - I've got a Godin BG5 5-string bass. Is your Godin Freeway the Classic model or the SA model?
As an eternally 17-year-old female, I have no idea what my hands are like compared to fellow girls. I've been told they're small? /shrug I sometimes run into awkward chord shapes that can be difficult on my classical, but can be pulled off on my electric or steel-string. More work + less time for guitar = my flexibility isn't as good as it used to be. orz

Mmm, holding the first fret with my index, my pinky can just reach the 4th fret comfortably enough on my bass. Sadly, seldom touch that now since I just can't seem to hold a pick for too long and I value my real nails for the nylon more. :<

Classic. Not interested/good enough to effectively use synths, but if I do in the future, I'd probably get one.... on a multiac.

Godin~ Something good coming out of Canada for once. <_>;

少し頭冷やそうか?
Old 2010-04-13, 06:35   Link #105
Manwards
Cunning Linguist

Send a message via MSN to Manwards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ7UP View Post
Hmmm... While I'm more of a melodic metalhead, I really do enjoy listening to the songs featured in K-On! - IMO, it's a good combination between the vocal melodies and the instrumental melodies that does it for me. If I ever do get tired of metal, I'd find myself playing similar stuff to the likes of "Fude Pen Boru Pen" and "Don't Say Lazy".
At the risk of dragging this thread off-topic, are you a Devin Townsend / Strapping Young Lad fan? That's what "melodic metal" makes me think of, and he's the major reason I got my guitar. His Terria and Synchestra albums blew my mind. That epic, soaring solo in "Deep Peace"...

I agree with you about the K-ON! music, though. The light vocals and heavier instrumentals, and some genuinely catchy melodies, really work for me. It's more substantial than most anime fluff.
Old 2010-04-13, 07:27   Link #106
OZ7UP
Reckless Rock'N'Roll
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD View Post
Harem Enforcer, eh. (・ε・)
It's a running joke that RadiantBeam started up over at the Nanoha FFT, end of discussion.

Quote:
Mmm, holding the first fret with my index, my pinky can just reach the 4th fret comfortably enough on my bass. Sadly, seldom touch that now since I just can't seem to hold a pick for too long and I value my real nails for the nylon more. :<
My pinky can't stretch out that far comfortably on the bass. Then again, I don't really use it that much when I play the guitar as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwards View Post
At the risk of dragging this thread off-topic, are you a Devin Townsend / Strapping Young Lad fan? That's what "melodic metal" makes me think of, and he's the major reason I got my guitar. His Terria and Synchestra albums blew my mind. That epic, soaring solo in "Deep Peace"...
I'm more into melodic death metal, such as Children Of Bodom, Arch Enemy, and the now-defunct Light This City.

Quote:
I agree with you about the K-ON! music, though. The light vocals and heavier instrumentals, and some genuinely catchy melodies, really work for me. It's more substantial than most anime fluff.
*Drags thread somewhat back onto topic*

To me, it's not just "more substantial than most anime fluff" - I find the K-On! songs to be much more interesting than the majority of what's currently playing on MTV and, as an Australian, Channel V. I really don't know if it's because of the Japanese language, but the balance that I've mentioned is sorely lacking in most indie rock bands out there.

If there's anything that the modern indie rock scene should take from K-On!, it should be finding the balance between simplicity and complexity, the balance between vocal melodies and instrumental melodies, and making songs energetic in an infectious way.

I was about to launch into a rant, but for the sake of everyone (and the moderators), I'll just wrap up over here.

Lusting after, and highly likely to have a chance with if they were real: Alexandra Garcia (Kuroko no Basket), MAGES. (Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory), Mayumi Kisaki (The Devil is a Part-Timer!), Kirishima (Arpeggio of Blue Steel), Yukari Miyako (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun), Salama (Amagi Brilliant Park), and Kongou (Kantai Collection).
Old 2010-04-17, 18:39   Link #107
TremendousLion
Drum Legend

Send a message via AIM to TremendousLion
Well K-On! has inspired me to actually try with my drumming. After a hiatus of about a year, I haven't touched my drum kit, its a pretty crappy one though (Hi-Hat is broken, only one cymbal, which is a ride, out of tune toms and snare, which I have no idea how to tune). This week I finally picked up my drum-sticks, turned on Don't Say Lazy, and went at it. 4 hours later I nailed the entire song, and was very happy.

I'm not usually into this kind of music, being more of a Who, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin fan, but this song (Don't Say Lazy) had a really nice beat that I needed to try. Now that I've gotten back into drumming, I've been playing more of my favorite bands, and I'm having a great time.

Right now I'm trying to learn Cagayake Girls! and Fuwafuwa Time, which prove to be very difficult, but hey, I'm still younger than Ritsu.

Edit: Also, has anyone heard the drums of Let's Go!? They sound fun as hell.

Last edited by TremendousLion; 2010-04-17 at 20:33.
Old 2010-04-20, 14:45   Link #108
DarkWish
Proclaimed Perv

Send a message via MSN to DarkWish
Inspireing .. yes. But i just dont have any instrumet to play on and i never plaid music.. ever , but i would try if i had a guitar.
Old 2010-04-20, 14:52   Link #109
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
A friend of mine began karate many years ago for being a great fan of the first Power Rangers series. I guess K-On has the same effect on making people to want to pick up music as well as Suzumiya Haruhi has to turn otakus to religion, lol.
Old 2010-04-21, 15:07   Link #110
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

As I sit here bleeding on my bass guitar ( ) I guess what K-On! is reminding of are all the great musicians I've listened to over the 60s/70s/80s/90s/00s. I've just wasted half an hour youtubing and recalling some great ones I'd almost forgotten about.
Old 2010-04-21, 15:35   Link #111
chaos_animagic

<--- would've loved to play a guitar...

But too bad I got scammed out of 1000 USD from "renting" a saxophone 6-7 years back when I first got into music.

After that... I never bothered with music, never owned CDs, never went to concerts, never watched MTV, nor do I know of any "RL" music.
The only music I know of are from Anime (tho some are from RL bands)

Even if I wanted to re-start playing an instrument now...
Due to the finical problems and what not... I can't afford to even "rent" it unless it's under 20 dollars a month.
And with my current life... I don't have the time to study music.

I took guitar lessons back in my High School Days in a community college... but had to dropped it due to High School "homework" as I had to focus on my "real" school before any other "activities" (which included learning guitars)
Thus I only learned Guitars for like 3-4 classes before I had to drop it, and thus I did not learn much about guitars at all... (BTW, I borrowed the guitar from a friend, way better than the stupid Renting or Owning cause it's free to borrow)

~~~ I actually had to learn Karate back when I was living in Taiwan (when I was young, like age 10-12)
It was a requirement back then to learn Karate...
I actually got bullied by the Karate Teacher, which gave me trauma as now when ever I see Karate, I would want to kill them all off with modern weapons, LOL...
Lets see you Karate protect you now, wuahahaha.........
Old 2010-08-21, 07:11   Link #112
Kev-kun
Curiousity is a Virtue?

YES!!! K-on influenced me to play guitar and kinda wants be to make a new band at school =)
Old 2010-08-21, 07:55   Link #113
Ritsu026
Ritsu's boyfriend

K-On! influenced me to learn the drums and to try to make a band with someone from school.
Old 2010-08-21, 08:07   Link #114
shazi302

Well, may be K-on! might not influenced me to learn some insturments.(Although I'v planed to learn guitar for a long time)
However, it reminds me some great memories about my school time.(Although I really didn't enjoyed into it. It makes me a little bit regret.)
Well, time is time. I can only keep going forward. T^T
Old 2010-08-21, 10:07   Link #115
shyezrylei
Intoxicated Guitarist

Send a message via MSN to shyezrylei Send a message via Yahoo to shyezrylei
YES! K-ON! is a musical inspiration for me! I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now and I stopped playing for a while. K-ON! has made me more serious than before about guitar and I've picked up my guitar ever since. It actually has made me a better guitar player and I'm sure now that I won't stop the music!
Old 2010-08-21, 11:11   Link #116
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

I always wanted to play guitar... I guess K-ON was just that one thing that pushed me to actually get one xD

BUT I REALLY WANNA PLAY THE DRUMS!!
Old 2010-08-22, 06:42   Link #117
Kev-kun
Curiousity is a Virtue?

Here's a question:

Why do you guys think that K-on inspired you?

my reason is because it looks fun and challenging =)
Old 2010-08-22, 07:33   Link #118
Hayasa
Fairy Tail & K-ON! Lover!

gah...I seriously want to buy a guitar after watching K-ON! If airhead Yui can do it , why can't I . :P
Old 2010-08-22, 08:23   Link #119
shazi302

I think K-on! is just a series which is similar to other kinds of japanese manga.

They think more about the burning of their youth. Music is just a theme for them to express their spirit.
Slam dunk, Captain Tsubasa, Yu-Gi-Oh are some examples of this sort of manga.

The ralationship and enjoyment in those manga are what they want to show. And sports and music are ideal topics.

So the thing really influences me again and again is that I should do my best to enjoy into what I'm doing.
Old 2010-08-22, 10:20   Link #120
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirasawakevin9272 View Post
Here's a question:

Why do you guys think that K-on inspired you?

my reason is because it looks fun and challenging =)
Because I had one of the same reactions as Ritsu did in the first episode flashback.
"This is it... LET'S START A BAND!!"

K-ON made it look fun. A lot of bands (and movie bands) are only shown you know... Partying and having fights and such. Yeah sure, this makes K-ON a little off by having absolutely no huge disagreements with each other, but it's what I wanted.

Besides... It looks so cool to be able to rock...
Closed Thread