AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-04-17, 20:37   Link #1
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
No video window in Mplayer in Ubuntu Linux on PS3

I have recently reinstalled Linux on my PS3, but now I have problems playing the video files because the video window doesn't show up, and it plays only audio.

Specs: PS3 80GB B/C model, Ubuntu Linux 8.10 PPC

I tried both the GUI and CLI, but the video window still doesn't show up.

MPlayer Log:
Code:
subtitles (S_TEXT/ASS) "Styled Subtitles", -sid 0, -slang eng
[mkv] Will play video track 1.
Matroska file format detected.
VIDEO:  [avc1]  640x480  24bpp  23.976 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
xscreensaver_disable: Could not find XScreenSaver window.
GNOME screensaver disabled
[VO_XV] It seems there is no Xvideo support for your video card available.
[VO_XV] Run 'xvinfo' to verify its Xv support and read
[VO_XV] DOCS/HTML/en/video.html#xv!
[VO_XV] See 'mplayer -vo help' for other (non-xv) video out drivers.
[VO_XV] Try -vo x11.
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.
==========================================================================
Old 2009-04-18, 07:38   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

The error message is quite clear; you don't have the correct mplayer driver installed for the video display. (This isn't the driver that talks to the hardware, but the driver that mplayer uses to talk to X11 or to bypass X11 and talk to the video subsystem directly.) I've never run Linux on a PS3, so I don't know what the correct driver might be, but I'd suggest starting with "xv" which is the most common.

If you have gmplayer installed, run it from the command prompt without a video file, then right-click on the control window, choose preferences, and look at the Video tab. You'll see the list of available drivers; try xv, gl, or gl2 as starting points. (The latter two options use the OpenGL libraries, the open alternative to technologies like DirectX.)

I prefer to use smplayer, an excellent GUI for mplayer. You can get it from the repos with Add/Remove Programs or "sudo apt-get install smplayer" at the command prompt. It will install on top of mplayer and use the existing binary. The list of video drivers appears in the Video tab at the top of Options > Preferences > General.
Old 2009-04-18, 07:53   Link #3
martino
makes no files now

I believe xv is the default one, so that's probably the one he was trying to run it with. Somewhere I read you have to use x11, however that one allows for no resizing of the video.
Old 2009-04-18, 08:14   Link #4
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
The error message is quite clear; you don't have the correct mplayer driver installed for the video display. (This isn't the driver that talks to the hardware, but the driver that mplayer uses to talk to X11 or to bypass X11 and talk to the video subsystem directly.) I've never run Linux on a PS3, so I don't know what the correct driver might be, but I'd suggest starting with "xv" which is the most common.

If you have gmplayer installed, run it from the command prompt without a video file, then right-click on the control window, choose preferences, and look at the Video tab. You'll see the list of available drivers; try xv, gl, or gl2 as starting points. (The latter two options use the OpenGL libraries, the open alternative to technologies like DirectX.)

I prefer to use smplayer, an excellent GUI for mplayer. You can get it from the repos with Add/Remove Programs or "sudo apt-get install smplayer" at the command prompt. It will install on top of mplayer and use the existing binary. The list of video drivers appears in the Video tab at the top of Options > Preferences > General.
Thank you for your help, I finally got the video appear on the screen with the help of smplayer.

But.. .the only problem is i can't get the video playing without green lines appearing.

Edit: I installed the spu-medialib with this tutorial... but now when I play a file... when I do something while playing a video file, X11 seems to crash on me randomly. I may need to switch to another distro or something.

Last edited by chikorita157; 2009-04-18 at 10:13.
Old 2009-05-04, 21:15   Link #5
Solecs

I don't know if you've got this figured out, but when I was working on this I was going off the information located at http://linux.yes.nu/PS3Ubuntu/?Page=cGFnZTAx. I never really put much time into it, but it seems like a good place to start.
Old 2009-05-17, 15:16   Link #6
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I have installed Yellow Dog Linux and I still can't get any video working and now SMPlayer won't compile since Qmake is missing for some reason...

I might try Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Antelope once it's ported for PowerPC.
Old 2009-05-17, 18:07   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Why not try Intrepid Ibex (8.10) while you're waiting?

It's "Jaunty Jackalope," by the way. All the Ubuntu releases have names where both words have the same initial letter, e.g., Gutsy Gibbon, Hardy Heron, etc.
Old 2009-05-17, 18:18   Link #8
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Why not try Intrepid Ibex (8.10) while you're waiting?

It's "Jaunty Jackalope," by the way. All the Ubuntu releases have names where both words have the same initial letter, e.g., Gutsy Gibbon, Hardy Heron, etc.
I did try Intrepid Ibex already (notice the first post with the Ubuntu version number). I have 9.04 PPC downloaded already, so I'll just burn that and install over YDL.

Also, I can use the GPU vram as swapspace since it have the newer Linux kernel. I'll report back once everything is reinstalled.
Old 2009-05-17, 19:18   Link #9
holyalexander
holy alexander

wow good mod.. i haven't touched my ps3's program since i bought it lol..
Old 2009-05-18, 20:44   Link #10
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I finally installed Jaunty Antelope and enabled GPU swap, but when I play a video in mplayer, there are green lines when I play the video under X11 renderer and I can't seem to get rid of it and xv fails as usual.