AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-05-14, 11:07   Link #1
AudriSampson
Ange Ushiromiya's Fangirl

Send a message via Yahoo to AudriSampson
Help for Anime Club

My anime club is a mix of a bunch gals ranging in age from 16 to 45. Ive shown alot of shows like Kanon, Clannad, KashiMashi, and Higurashi that has cute girls but now Im hearing that I need to show a show with "Manly Men" For me this means Touga from Utena and Tuxedo Kamen from Sailor Moon. I dont think thats what they mean... Does anyone know of a show that can fill this request.
Old 2009-05-14, 12:10   Link #2
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Well~~
I think with manyl men they mean guys like Kaname und Zero from Vampire Knight.
Well I'm not that into such anime/manga so I can only tell you what my firends like
Perfekt Girl (Evolution) is also an option I think, many guys and stuff. It's Shojou, at least I think it is.
Also Prince of Tennis might be to their liking
Old 2009-05-14, 12:22   Link #3
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

I'm not sure if you are looking for a so called bishounen show, or a show with manly man fighting each other and such?
If it's the latter, than Sengoku Basara (Additional information: 1) wins hands down. Though it's still ongoing (it's fansubbed up to ep6 currently), I cannot think of any more manlier show. Additionally it's absurdic in a good sense, and has some funny, very good jokes/gags in it.
I'm not sure how enjoyable could be for the the members of your club, since it's primarily aimed at lads. But if I were you, I'd give a try to the first episode, to see whether that's the thing you were looking for.

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-05-14 at 13:51.
Old 2009-05-14, 12:25   Link #4
zareba

Your club members probably mean an anime without weaklings or little boys. Love Hina and Naruto types are the ones to avoid. I think Saiyuki will work. Rather than a Tuxedo Mask who just acts as "Prince charming" and occasionally swoops in and makes the girls swoon.

Saiyuki

Trailer

In the mystical world of Shangri-la, demons and humans live side by side, watched over by a parthenon of ancient Chinese gods.

But when normally civilized demons start to go berserk, the gods require the services of Genjou Sanzo--a buddhist priest with a magical gun, an evil-banishing scripture and a take-no-prisoners attitude.

Aided by the ancient monkey god Son Goku, the half-demon Sha Gojyou and the demon exterminator Cho Hakkai, he sets off on a treacherous journey westward, with armies of demons, dark mages and angry gods all standing in his way...

Last edited by zareba; 2009-05-14 at 12:41.
Old 2009-05-14, 13:35   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

First off, welcome to Anime Suki! Why don't you get your club members to join, too? We could use some more older female members to spice up the place!

My next question is whether you show fansubbed materials or not. If you are sticking to licensed shows, my first recommendation would be Saiunkoku Monogatari, a 39-episode josei saga about a young woman who wants to become her country's first female government official. Along the way, she gets some help from a number of gorgeously-drawn men (and a few pretty gorgeous women); you can survey the major characters on this excellent compilation by AS member Kaoru Chujo. Despite their aid, the heroine Shurrei depends mostly on her own wits and persistence and inspires admiration from all around her. The last boxset of episodes appeared in January, and a quick check at Netflix shows all three sets are available for rental there.

Another remarkable male character that might inspire your club members is the demon-slaying Apothecary in Mononoke, and its short predecessor, the three-episode "Bakeneko" arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales. Mononoke is unlicensed, but the predecessor story is available in the US on DVD for a mere $7 at RightStuf. This show is drawn in a beautiful, but rather psychedelic style. You can find streams at YouTube to sample if you look in the right places.

A show you can watch for free right now with an interesting older-male fetish is Ristorante Paradiso, currently airing at Crunchyroll. It's been running on a biweekly schedule, but I read recently that it will appear on a weekly basis soon, if it hasn't started already.

Finally, I'll recommend Baccano!, which mixes together gangsters and alchemists in Prohibition America. The final four episodes won't be released until next month, though, in case you all like to marathon a show. You can see a couple of episodes for free at Funimation's streaming site. Episode one starts slowly, but it picks up pace quickly. There are a number of guys in this show that would qualify as "manly" if that adjective implies bloodshed, of which Baccano! has quite a bit.

One other unlicensed show I'll recommend is Nodame Cantabile, a "screwball" comedy set in a college-level classical music academy. The male protagonist, Chiaki, is a handsome, fastidious, and rather self-absorbed piano student who yearns to conduct. His neighbor in the apartment next door, Megumi Noda (aka "Nodame"), is a somewhat plain, horribly messy, but remarkably talented piano student who doesn't yet appreciate her own abilities.

Once again, welcome aboard, and get those other ladies to join in, too!

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2009-05-14 at 14:09.
Old 2009-05-14, 15:40   Link #6
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Saiyuki is a nice show

I would recommend the following:

Fruits Basket, comedy/romance with lots of guys in it, cute guys even and they are manly =P
Old 2009-05-14, 17:01   Link #7
zareba

How are the men of Fruits Basket manly?

Yuki is constantly being called a prince and even plays a girl in the school festival.

Momiji looks like a girl. He even wears the girls' school uniform until his growth spurt.

Ritsu dresses in women's clothing because he says he then feels less pressure from society, and is initially mistaken for a woman by Tohru Honda because of his long hair and beauty.

Ayame sells custom-made "romantic costumes."

Shigure habitually wears a kimono unless he has to leave the house for business, which according to Natsuki Takaya is his way of getting into "the spirit of things" as a writer.

0.o

Last edited by zareba; 2009-05-14 at 17:47.
Old 2009-05-14, 17:48   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmmm...

I have no clue myself. The only "fangirl-ing" I've ever seen from my female friends/relatives was over Ranma and Ryoga of Ranma 1/2. Not sure if that's what you are looking for though.
Old 2009-05-15, 01:08   Link #9
Pixelation
Dreamcatcher

The word 'manly' throws me. It makes me think of the Hans and Franz sketches from Saturday Night Live, or the 80's B-movie Terrorvision ('Stanley is such a manly man!')

Death Note's Light and L are both confident, aggressive, and brilliant, as is Itazura na Kiss's Irie. Full Metal Panic's Sousuke is pretty manly. I didn't care for the first season much, but Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu is lots of fun and great for club showings. Spike and Jet from Cowboy Bebop fit the bill pretty well. I haven't actually seen the series yet, but the character designs for Moonlight Mile look very manly...
Old 2009-05-15, 05:27   Link #10
itisjustme

What you showed them are series targetted at a more male audience.

If they mean manly as opposed to bishounen/wimps then City Hunter/Angel Heart would work, or indeed Cowboy Bebop, Great Teacher Onizuka, maybe Nodame Cantabile or Monster. Also other action/shounen things like Dragonball Z or something, although I doubt that's the kind of stuff they're after.
Old 2009-05-15, 15:29   Link #11
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by zareba View Post
How are the men of Fruits Basket manly?

Yuki is constantly being called a prince and even plays a girl in the school festival.

Momiji looks like a girl. He even wears the girls' school uniform until his growth spurt.

Ritsu dresses in women's clothing because he says he then feels less pressure from society, and is initially mistaken for a woman by Tohru Honda because of his long hair and beauty.

Ayame sells custom-made "romantic costumes."

Shigure habitually wears a kimono unless he has to leave the house for business, which according to Natsuki Takaya is his way of getting into "the spirit of things" as a writer.

0.o
Kyou tries to kick Yuki's ass allt he time and Hatsuharu's personality could be counted for this
the response was merely a reaction to what she added with Tuxedo Mask and Touga, c'mon Touga is a pure bishie and so are the fruits basket males
it is merely another form of manliness, besides Momiji is a lot younger and Ayame is one of the not so manly examples but that doesn't mean every character is like that..

for manly things I second cowboy beebop and perhaps would roll soem Samurai Champloo in as well while we're at it, but they are not as bishie as Tuxedo and Touga I must add though some of the best manly examples
Closed Thread