AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-06-07, 13:24   Link #321
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I suppose they are more general than rape games, which involve paying full attention to certain individuals instead of masses, having a greater impact on a person's emotional state.
Ah, yes. Murder's alright as long as it's done in bulk. So what if they make mass raping games?

Quote:
When I first saw GTA I found the concept funny and treated the whole story as satire.
So we really are down to your feelings? You like it, it's fine. You don't like it, let's bring down the ban-hammer?

Quote:
Then again, there are kids that were inspired to shoot cars or mug people, I can only assume they were underaged when they started playing. What do you mean by blood sports btw?
Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat and the like.
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2009-06-07, 13:40   Link #322
Kafriel
Senior Guest
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Athens (GMT+2)
Age: 25
Quote:
So what if they make mass raping games?
How can someone rape multiple people at the same time
Quote:
So we really are down to your feelings? You like it, it's fine. You don't like it, let's bring down the ban-hammer?
It's not about liking it or not, but the way you perceive it as an adult is much more different from the way a teenager understands it. I believe even after aaaall these lawsuits the GTA industry is still up and running because they're swimming in pools of money,enough to fund a small freakin country, so it really comes down to who's richer, totally out of my power.
I wouldn't call street fighter a blood game, it's definitely different from mortal kombat, where maiming and gore are promoted to a dangerous degree, especially in the latest installments of the series. While I do believe that the MK series promotes violence and is purposefully made like that, the martial arts implemented are all real, having codes of behaviour and such. The most extreme parts are the use of weapons and the killing blows, but I haven't seen any 6-year old kid stabbing people with kitchen knives saying he saw it in MK...and at this point it's normal to ask "do we have to wait until this HAPPENS to stop them?" but once again, it's up to how much money they got. Unless "the government" complains about it, there's little we can do.
__________________
Kafriel is offline  
Old 2009-06-07, 14:30   Link #323
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
Quote:
So what if they make mass raping games?
What, where the player commands the entirety of the Soviet ground troops at the end of WW2, and the goal is to encourage them to have their way with German chicks?
LeoXiao is offline  
Old 2009-06-07, 17:19   Link #324
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Kylaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
There was this one case I recall in which a sleazy porn site kept sending a registered sex offender links to bondage porn with women touched up to look underaged. After a while, the sex offender finally caved and raped and killed a little girl, with same style used in the spam.
A specific instance of an individual that already has shown tendencies for abnormal behavior being affected by media. This doesn't tell us what the effect of disturbing material has on the general population. Will Joe the Plumber start raping people in his neighborhood provided the same stimulus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreDoll View Post
Yep, with all the "wonderful" and kid-friendly images, language, and ideas the media has to offer, we certainly need more rape games to stimulate the imagination and affect our children. And the mentioning of "dark-fantasies", well that's why they're just fantasies and should probably stay that way.
Let me get rid of my dreams and every inspiring notion I allow myself to entertain during the more boring moments of class as well. You might not like the darker side of the human psyche, but by your same logic we shouldn't allow ourselves to dream positively either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
... Meaning, if such games are promoted, they will definitely influence someone to a greater extent than what they would have, had that person just stumbled into a game of that kind while looking for something else.

If someone's in a community where such games are seen in a bright light, they are encouraged to change their pov, and, in time, enjoy playing them, resulting in a total rape of their former beliefs. If,on the other hand, the community doesn't accept them as games, others will also see it as a natural thing to be against them and not bother with them ever again.
I think the main question is just what constitutes the other aspects of one's environment. Just because we can isolate one aspect of a person's life a potentially problematic doesn't mean there are other aspects we fail to see. For example, there's been controversy in Japan over student stress because of the damage done to the younger generation from the sheer pressure of society's expectations. Sometimes those victims end up retreating into the internet, or play lots of video games; they skip school, and play truant. What lies underneath is a cultural issue (I personally see Confucian values at play here) that's not necessarily a result of the amount of games they play or the amount of time they spend skipping school.

Plus, I can understand how a society that promotes games (like Japan) will find its people more and more influenced by the same games and accept them, but there are limits to just how large this influence is. And it's unclear whether you can apply this influence to problems with morals (such as murder and rape). If we continue along this line of thought, you could even say that there would be a relationship between the small population that's influenced by the games they buy and the crimes they commit (because of society's acceptance of games and their content). And we know that it's certainly not this simple, or many forms of media would be lost a long time ago.

In America, I would assume that a large part of the violent crimes committed in big cities involve both organized crime and societal struggles of the disadvantaged (meaning, they have to resort to crime to survive). It's not the mere presence of what one assumes to be dangerous that's the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
The most extreme parts are the use of weapons and the killing blows, but I haven't seen any 6-year old kid stabbing people with kitchen knives saying he saw it in MK....
Just because we've seen two facts that could be linked (but still relatively unproven), that doesn't mean the link exists or doesn't exist (until it is proven). Yes, you haven't seen a little kid run around stabbing people with knives, but does that make Mortal Kombat different from Counter-Strike and its effect on high school shootings? We don't simply lose our ability to differentiate between reality and fiction as we grow older, do we? Does one person owning a copy of Counter-Strike and then later going out and shooting people necessarily mean that someone who watches rape simulation pornography will go out and do the same?
Kylaran is offline  
Old 2009-06-07, 18:15   Link #325
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Does one person owning a copy of Counter-Strike and then later going out and shooting people necessarily mean that someone who watches rape simulation pornography will go out and do the same?
Also, let's postulate that "one person who owns Counter-Strike" commits a crime, but there are half a million people who own copies and never commit a crime. Blaming Counter-Strike would be an utterly false correlation .... yet we see the media and sometimes the police make just such false connections.

"Yeah, we found anime porn in his apartment" ..... begging the question of whether it was even actually porn and the question of how many people have anime and never commit a crime.

Its almost akin to "hmmmm, people who commit crimes also buy groceries.... ah ha!"
Ducks, wood, and witches, o my...

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-06-07 at 18:29.
Vexx is offline  
Old 2009-06-07, 21:40   Link #326
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Asia Tour
Age: 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Throne Invader
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I'm tired of seeing this argument so much....
As we've said before, there's no proof that this causes children to become rapists, as much as you would like to believe there is. Besides, you could say the same of all pornography and of alcohol, yet pornography and alcohol aren't banned. You don't ban things just because children can gain access to them. Governmental policies don't just operate to keep kids safe, and it's been demonstrated that it will also preserve the rights to adults that it denies to kids.

How do you know that this doesn't stop potential rapists by giving them an outlet to release sexual tension? It's just as much of a possibility.
Well, there's a point I've already stated before. The world is already filled with so much drama, we really don't need anymore do we? OceanBlue, do you believe that some people act out what they've been exposed to? Not everyone does, but some do, possibly even a few. I say better safe than sorry. But then again, you also say potential rapists need to release sexual tension. Then there's a problem with them. It's not natural for raping to be part of human nature. It's over the line. I'm sorry, but I really can't call raping natural and normal.

So what about the government? There's not a perfect government anywhere in the world. We, the people, the citizens, the parents, the teachers, the better models to society have to ensure the safety of the youngers ones and of others. It may not be easy but releasing more rape games really don't help at all.

@Kylaran
I said they were to remain as fantasies. Fantasize all you want during your boring class hours I didn't say you shouldn't.
__________________


It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline  
Old 2009-06-07, 22:25   Link #327
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmoreDoll View Post
The world is already filled with so much drama, we really don't need anymore do we?
I'm going to pull the "ironic twist" here and take this as a cue that this thread has probably run its course. As you said, the world is already filled with so much drama, we really don't need any more.

I know there's an actual saying about this that escapes me, but our belief in personal freedom is always tested by the things we find most uncomfortable. My own answer to the topic's question, for what it's worth, is "with calm, careful consideration before we make rash decisions that have far-reaching consequences we may not have intended".

There is a thread in the Gaming forum that discusses the specifics of the on-going industry discussions on this subject, but I think we can let this moral debate rest for a little while. Feel free to PM me or another mod/staff member if and when the time comes to bring it back.
relentlessflame is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.